Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I like the idea of Warframe but I don't understand why every game of its kind has to have such a ridiculously complicated and opaque progression / gearing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just only play games that are more fun to min-max. It's basically synonymous with good design anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: god drat you guys are fast

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

What if there was a generation of Pokemon that didn't have clearly defined versions? Imagine if all the games of that generation had the same label but the pokemon were at different encounter rates and there was no way to know which pokemon were rare or common on yours until you actually played?

http://pokehacks.dabomstew.com/randomizer/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Red Alert 3 is one of the few RTS games of that era where the movement and micro feels right but it's also a game of braindead hard counters which really limits it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On the other hand it gave us this line reading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

peace unto be game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm just fundamentally repulsed by the idea of an open world game where you're steadily herded into a smaller and smaller area, while simultaneously recognizing that it's absolutely necessary for the game to work.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Daikirbytana

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Really Pants posted:

I'll Wii U in September

The October Wii

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

*extremely fake russian? accent*

BATTLE CRUISER OPERATIONAL

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm thinking about watching The Defenders this weekend because I liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I never got around to the other two series though

Luke Cage is wildly uneven and Iron Fist is no joke some of the worst TV I've ever watched

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I have trouble believing that Marvel could somehow produce a less engaging show than Agents of Shield.

I haven't seen Agents of Shield, because there's no way anything that closely tied to the movies could be good.

Marvel/Netflix TV is good in precisely inverse proportion to how overtly MCU it is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Monster Seeking Monster has a horror theme where characters are monsters who attempt to date each other. More details have not yet been announced.

I am so incredibly down with Jackbox: Monsterhearts. It might be a disaster but it's gonna be hilarious either way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I got the Shadow Tactics platinum and now there's a strategy shaped hole in my heart

maybe I'll try XCOM2 again it was too hard for me the last time I played it

I was just playing XCOM2 the other day and I quit in frustration because I already know the game's going to have that stupid reverse difficulty curve where the early game is an RNG-fest and the lategame is a cakewalk. I was gonna make a post asking for alternatives but Shadow Tactics looks like the game I've wanted ever since playing the ninja chapter of Live-a-Live but never found.

So, uh, thanks.

Also I'd still love suggestions for games with XCOM or XCOM2-like gameplay, but with a more sensible difficulty curve. (It can still be ball-bustingly hard, just preferably in a way that ramps up instead of down and doesn't rely quite so hard on sub-50% chances to hit.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Norns posted:

Mario XCOM comes out in a week or so

Probably not on PC, though, yeah?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Puzzle games seem like they must be really hard to design well -- every one I've ever played (barring stuff like Portal where it's all intentionally very easy and guides you every step of the way) eventually reaches a point where it gets too hard, especially in the form of "I might be able to solve this but it would take exponentially more time than the previous puzzle" and I give up. But at the same time someone who was more proficient could easily be bored by the same puzzle, and unlike other genres where you can easily tune difficulty by changing a few variables, an easier or harder puzzle is by definition a completely different puzzle. There's no way to adjust an otherwise identical experience, you just have to create a whole new thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In Training posted:

You ever play Picross?

I haven't. Is it a contrary example to what I said?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

vermin posted:

Do you think the FTL design could work as a sandbox?

Yes and no. The real-time, crew management, spaceship part -- the part that's fun -- yeah, sure.

The parts of the game that you actually get good at, that are the difference between winning and losing on higher difficulties? Not so much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If your game isn't a turn-based RPG with a fine-grained turn structure (i.e. 1 step = 1 turn, not the D&D/XCOM model), permadeath, and randomly generated level layouts, your game ain't a roguelike.

And that's being generous and not even demanding an ASCII mode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or as I liked to say before Caves of Qud forced me to reconsider, "if people would pay money for your game, it's not a roguelike."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's a joke in here about how modern gaming has come to the point where the mere possibility that the player might actually fail needs a warning label. Which is fine, I just wish they hadn't appropriated the name of an existing genre to do it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

It has the last two, which makes it a rogue lite at least.

Most of the time people say rogue like they mean lite but that's because no one worth mentioning really cares

Actually, anyone worth mentioning calls their difficult platformer a platformer and then bathes in the tears of unsuspecting buyers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or twin stick shooter or FPS or whatever other increasingly incompatible-with-procedural-generation genre you're going for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When I started seriously playing fighting games (so like a few months ago) I realized that these were the first games I had played that were not designed to reward me with inevitable triumph if I put enough time into them, and if I were to enjoy them I would have to find fulfillment in a journey of struggle and learning without end. Like, even Dark Souls has a definitive end and test of mastery.

I guess it's actually probably a good time in my life to be internalizing that from a game

Hell yeah man, welcome aboard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

gently caress huge resolutions, 144hz is where it's at.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well there's "humans are the real monsters" and "the real monster is Capitalism, and also specifically these human assholes over here."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

precision posted:

hahaha there's a free update for Crypt of the NecroDancer that lets you play as Dangan Ronpa characters

i didn't know i wanted it, but i'll take it!

Do they have cool gimmicks? For that matter, do they have new gimmicks at all or are they just reskins?

I love Necrodancer and I'll go to bat for it any day but it has basically two characters who are fun to play, the pacifist character who's okay and a roguelike staple, and then 10 different shades of "we made this character with impossibly difficult restrictions for masochists to prove how hard they are."

Which is fine, nobody comes to the genre without a little bit of masochism, but it'd be nice to have characters who get new toys to play with instead of just restrictions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also I picked up Shadow Tactics, and it's fantastic. I had one small moment of frustration with the game getting stuck and refusing to let me do a downward jumping kill after I used the non-lethal attack, but it hasn't recurred, and otherwise it's exactly what I thought and hoped it would be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chumbler posted:

I can't wait for the triumphant return of Gex Croc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The style looks like Nichijou, but I don't remember that scene.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Story mode in fighting games is just a shoddy way to subsidize the game for the people who actually like fighting games. Play multiplayer, practice in training mode, or maybe do some tutorials / challenges if the game has them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

it's not super hard dude they're all basically genderswapped spoonerisms.

it doesn't have to be "super hard" to be too obnoxious to waste your time on

like why would you make an incredibly unpopular announcement even more obnoxious on purpose

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In Training posted:

Half Life 2 is probably the worst game ever released in the 2000s

lol

I HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Half-Life 2 isn't even the worst game of that era in terms of the influence it had on FPS design, seeing as Halo: Combat Evolved came out in 2001.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Only being able to hold two weapons at once is worse than anything HL 2 did

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

They're both profoundly mediocre games (Halo's level design is atrocious, even if it does have some fun guns and some decent encounters early on) but only one of them popularized limited weapon sets, regenerating health, and helped center FPS development around controllers rather than mice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm also scoffing on behalf of genuinely terrible early 2000s games.

Like Sanity: Aiken's Artifact, whose main claim to fame is that the main character is voiced by Ice-T.

Or Earth 2160, which might be the single derpiest RTS I've ever played.

Or even high-profile disappointments that are "bad" relative to a stellar baseline, like Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like no joke I am quite confident that the early 2000s, as people were just barely figuring out how 3D graphics should work, produced the worst-feeling games in human history. I'm not sure exactly which one deserves the #1 Hall of Shame award but there are just so many basic mistakes in core gameplay that were everywhere then and have never really been common before or since.

Ironically it's also the reason 1998-2004 is when a lot of the best games ever made were released, because every once in a blue moon you got something with a little more playtesting (but not too much!) and got a Tribes or a Brood War or whatever where the jankiness enhanced the game rather than sinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In Training posted:

Not true at all, there are bad feeling games made from time immemorial to today. Graphical fidelity means nothing.

It's less to do with graphical fidelity and more to do with collision detection, non-standardized control schemes, and gimmickry at the expense of gameplay. You have all these tools and nobody with the slightest idea how to use them responsibly.

• Locked thread
«2 »