Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chumbler posted:

What other terrible trends in game can point to one or two games as their genesis, and how many of them point to WoW?

oh god don't even get me started

dps / tank / healer is a blight on game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think WoW actually did much of anything first but I distinctly remember it being the first game I had ever heard of that ran on a subscription model, and, I mean, that's bad enough.

e: actually I might have heard of Meridian 59 before that but I don't recall if I made the connection

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to two different games this year that I loved and where I basically have to work my rear end off just to come up with minor nitpicks. I don't mind being relentlessly critical and negative as long as the possibility of real improvement exists, and if I focused entirely on broad trends from AAA developers as they compromise on every aspect of the genres I enjoy, I would lose sight of that for sure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

What were those two games?

Hollow Knight and Shadow Tactics.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fuligin posted:

I mean, Hearthstone, maybe. D3 and remastered BW are probably the best games they have right now.

I would have gone with "Overwatch, maybe" because Hearthstone is absolute crap. But yeah, Brood War is still Brood War and Diablo 3 is surprisingly good considering how it started off.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Realtalk every game should have a Yakkety Sax mode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

what about moving up, stalling, and then quickly streaking downwards like falling stars

That sounds like it would make it look like an attack.

I'd keep the upward motion, but make it even slower.

In Training posted:

The cure effect should explode outwards like a sprinkler

This could also work.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

precision posted:

girl i know posted on facebook "video games have taught me if you meet enemies you're going the right way"

and i'm like... that's clever but holy poo poo is it wrong

i mean all she'd have to do is switch the two phrases and she'd be right on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Just equip hiveblood so you never die and it becomes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less frustrating. It's one of my favorite areas personally and I can't wait to do it on a good framerate once the switch version hits because my laptop could just barely handle that game..

Nooooooooooo

Hiveblood is poo poo. It gives you infinite tries but you have to wait forever for it to activate. Use the charm that gives you double healing and the one that gives you magic juice for getting hit. This isn't quite infinite but it gives you dozens of tries before it runs low and it's a million times less aggravating.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I can't believe there was a tiny Squirtle hidden under that sticker!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I tried Sonic Mania and after about 20 minutes realized that, nostalgia aside, I just don't actually like Sonic gameplay. It's not what I look for in a platformer.

Really glad Steam / Valve have such a forgiving refund system, though!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I like console shooters because their low TTK and slower movement means it's less about twitch aiming and more about understanding what people are likely to do and map awareness.

It's only more about that in the proportional sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hideo Kojima is working on a Mothra / Godzilla thing? :raise:

• Locked thread