Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Still playing Breath of the Wild- feel like the Shrines, 4 big mini-dungeons, and the story progression are completely incidental to the game and that not a lot would be lost if they just weren't there (other than the work required to find/get to them; that's still cool). Feel like I'm going to be "done" with the game whenever I get sick of just messing around in and exploring the open world.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Plok" sounds like an old-timey racial epithet

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

for me it's worse because i assembled 95% of my new rig reusing the old case from my last pc and just used my old graphics card while waiting for my new one to arrive, then when the card arrived earlier this week i found out it doesn't fit in the old case. so this is the second time i'm doing it.

My MSI-brand 970 baaaarrreely fit in my old case and the cooling isn't exactly ideal- prob will just buy a new one whenever I need a new motherboard, whenever that is. Current one is like 8 years old. drat so is the power supply- something's gonna break sooner or later but I've been Frankenstein-ing parts in there over time to keep up and it's worked fine so far

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smenj posted:

I have a 3570K but I'm still running it at stock clocks because I didn't realise that pretty much none of the affordable non-stock coolers fit in my case properly (or, at least, none of the ones available at the time did). I keep meaning to get that sorted, but to be honest I've had very few games where my CPU's been the limiting factor (GTA V, maybe?), so I've never bothered. I guess I'll just get a new case when I finally upgrade, but my 970/3570K's been more than enough for 1080p for years now, and I'm certainly not dropping a bunch of cash on a new monitor anytime soon, so :shrug:

Did wind up having to swap out the CPU when I put in the 970 since 8 years ago I bought like the cheapest AMD quad-core processor available so the card outpaced it. My PC is well on its way to being The PC of Theseus with all the stuff I've replaced/upgraded and obviously the best megaman game is the first X but I like X2 also

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Really a shame the Zero games were stuck on the GBA's teeny screen

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was kinda hoarding weapons in BOTW for a bit but as soon as you realize the game is constantly dumping a bucket of weapons over Link's head at all times you can just sorta not care about it and use whatever

It doesn't make that much of a difference since there's usually appropriately powerful weapons around somewhere when you're fighting more powerful enemies anyways

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like in BOTW I almost feel like just throwing away half of the weapons I have in stock so I'm not constantly going "hmmm is this weapon better than the ones I have, is it?"

It almost never matters unless you're hoarding crude sticks and clubs from the beginning of the game or something

Doing the Master Sword Trials and Eventide Island brought back a bit of that good feel of constantly swapping out and breaking weapons and having to scrounge around for new ones

Kinda reminds me of how in Borderlands 1/2 the game feels good to play because you have to adjust your strategy around whatever weapons the RNG decides to throw at you but by lategame you're looking at basically everything and going "ugh, trash" while still having to compare it to the poo poo in your inventory and it becomes tedious

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I do kind of wish there was more of an indicator for weapon durability in BOTW other than "New" and "Totally Busted; Throw This Weapon At Something"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

let me just stop you right there

They're fun for me (esp with other people) in the beginning but they both unfailingly get worse as the game goes on as you stop finding interesting/good stuff compared to what you have and the enemies get bullet-spongier

also in the second one they deliberately tried to turn the endgame into some kinda MMO-grindfest; introducing big bosses you would grind for loot with other people and like five different currencies you also had to farm for

very bad

I wouldn't play another unless they made some kind of radical change to the formula at this point

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Thought experiment: if you were going to introduce someone who's never played one to videogames, what would you start with?

Me, personally, I would hand them a copy of Titanfall 2.

So like something really simple and easy to pick up and play and is also fun

Katamari Damacy or [Insert Best 2D Mario Game Here]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or liiiiike I feel either Kirby's Adventure or Super Star would be pretty good for a person who has never touched videogame as well

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I weirdly put like 120 hours into MGS5 screwing around ingame and with the FOB online stuff before I went "whoa what the heck am I doing" and stopped

Most time I've ever put into a game (in my adult life, Infinite Time Beforetimes doesn't count IMO) is likely Fallout: New Vegas but I was playing it on PS3 so I don't know the actual number

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of which, I just beat the second Divine Beast in BOTW. People have gone directly to Hyrule Castle from the beginning, right? Maybe I should just see if I can end this

You're "done" with Legend of Zelda: Best of the Worst whenever you get sick of exploring stuff and roaming carefree through the game's supremely great open world

then you should go get Ganon and put the game down for a while, possibly to come back later

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

People will just pirate weed, like hbo or whatever.

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah man Viewtiful Joe was great- shame about the sequel and every other game they tried to make with the IP

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just want more games set in Not-Hong Kong

hey when does that game where you're a cat come out

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When was the first instance of the good ol' Skinner Box F2P model being deployed into a big videogame? I'm voting whenever that was as worst year- like opening Pandora's Box but it's microtransactions in your videogames

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I don't know what was literally the first ever but the first enormous hit of that nature was Farmville in 2009.

In Training posted:

Probably not the first but I imagine the sea change started with the "TF2 goes F2P + adds Loot Crates" turn because of how high profile Valve was/is in the field of gaming at large, and moving that practice off of a mobile device

Yeah Farmville was the first like massively popular execution of the model I can remember- sort of a proof of the horrible horrible concept that led to countless imitators online and on smartphones. Most of these were kinda geared towards casual gamers, the kinds of people who might not even own or be that interested in a console or gaming PC.

The model was too successful to ignore and it started like seeping into more traditional video games later on and now it kinda looks like it's here to stay although the vast majority of games I'm interested in don't really go anywhere near it so it doesn't impact me too much so I guess I can't complain too much either

Wonder how the new Shadow of Mordor game is gonna be regarding that

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 15, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
GloryCommander of ClanWars 3

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Yeah. And a bigger issue is that like, compare the most popular and derivative works between film and games. In movies it's like, superhero movies. Which you can just ignore because they suck, whatever. But the most popular form of gaming is mobile crap which is basically just gambling or pure exploitation with only the barest aesthetic value imaginable and if that's the average point of entry it taints the entire medium in a way no other art form has to contend with.

Yeah the whole idea just kinda has infested the industry- definitely hurts a game when they have to sorta build in F2P-lootbox-type stuff. The temptation to try and shoehorn it into your game must be enormous given the huge investment of money and manhours it takes to produce (1) Video Game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe I'll be playing a new Metroid game in a month! It would have to be pretty bad for me to be upset about it!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Twin Peaks S3 is Lynch running wild, completely unrestricted by making the show palatable to a larger audience

that nuclear explosion episode owns

initial run was great but I love this too even though it's different

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh, single player seems a little more expansive in Splatoon 2 than in 1. Nice bonus

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd be nice if you could just pay for online play because yeah the last PS+ game I downloaded was I think Invisible Inc back in December and before that I don't even know

Yeah I don't care about the vast majority of the trash they've shoveled onto there- think I'll scrap mine too and just do online stuff on Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heh, I'm the ... the...

*pupils dilate*

uh, heh, the....

*pukes*

• Locked thread