Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

gunvolt 2 is pretty good

Better than the first one in my opinion (the recent Mighty Gunvolt Burst is pretty good too, it's basically MN9 only fun to play).

I'm cautiously anticipating Before the Storm despite everything going against it (Chloe's new voice actress, DontNod having little to no involvement in its production, the fact that it's even more unnecessary than most prequels considering the first game basically told us all we needed to know, etc.), still probably worth a shot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Training posted:

I just beat Mighty Gunvolt Burst for the 4th time, the new character has a fun design

Is the DLC out for the 3DS version yet or is it still just on the Switch?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Those games are only as popular as they are because they can run on 10-year old potato systems. True PC gamers spend thousands of $$$ to render Geralt's flowing grey mane in true 4k resolution.

Yeah this, Ashly Burch IS Chloe and not having her there is like Kain without Simon Templeman.

She's still part of the writing team at the very least. Actually, Chloe's new voice is probably my biggest problem with the game at the moment, from what I've heard so far she seems to range from passable to "I am obviously reading lines off a script". Which is a shame as Burch was one of the best actors in the original game (which makes sense since she was one of the few members of the cast with any previous acting experience).

Who knows, maybe whatever prevented her from reprising her role (I think it was a SAG strike or something?) will get resolved and she'll be able to take over voicing Chloe in the remaining episodes, I doubt it though.

But even if it sucks, maybe the proper sequel that DontNod is apparently developing will turn out better.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 16, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Before the Storm trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHDcodQmj8k

Voice work actually seems to have improved a bit in this one compared to what we've seen before (not counting Chloe I think Nathan's original actor is back at least, not sure about the rest) and it's one of the first that actually makes this game look interesting. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I want to like this game but no Ashly = no go for me unless it's really well-reviewed.

Yeah it's not going to be the same without her performance I'll give it that. I still honestly have no idea what the plot of this game is supposed to be about beyond what Chloe was up to while Max was in Seattle.

Also, unless they decide to break canon with an alternate ending or two we already know from the previous entry that nothing can possibly end well for any of the characters involved in this game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To sum it up: Angsty teens, some terrible dialogue at times (but it's so hilariously corny I don't really mind it), time travel, an almost perverse fixation on human misery and the plot is cobbled together from various different sources (Twin Peaks, Donnie Darko, The Butterfly Effect and a little bit of Catcher in the Rye, I'm probably missing a few though).

Despite that it's still a pretty decent Telltale style game (even if it does sort of fall apart in the final chapter).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I liked Life is Strange better than any of the Telltale games I've played (TWD Season 1/Wolf Among Us/Batman)

True, though the characters themselves are probably the best part of the game. As unnecessary as it is I do sort of see the logic in doing a prequel as Chloe makes for a far more interesting protagonist than Max does and the first game basically revolved around her anyway (the lack of Ashly Burch still stings though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Dontnod isn't doing the prequel, it's some other studio and they're doing LiS 2 proper.

Speaking of which, when do you think we'll get some actual information on that game (as far as I'm aware, all we know is that they're working on it and it'll most likely feature a brand new cast and setting)? Next year possibly?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It seems to me that Dontnod are very early into the development of LiS 2 and only announced it to jump the gun on the prequel before E3 so that people didn't think it was coming from them.

Of course, that hasn't stopped people from calling Before the Storm, "Life is Strange 2" anyway (most of the videos I've seen on Youtube seem to refer to it as such), and I guess technically it is being a prequel and all but still.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 25, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And since there doesn't seem to be an equivalent to the Rewind mechanic that we've seen I'm guessing Before the Storm will play more like an average Telltale game except we already know the main characters are doomed from the start.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the fact that the project is strikebreaking is enough of a dealbreaker for me, even if the striking actor is also working on the project in another capacity

Maybe the strike will end before the game does and Burch can get back into the driver's seat for the remaining episodes (I highly doubt it though). There's also apparently a bonus episode for those who pre-order the game featuring Chloe and Max as kids (though I wouldn't hold your breath on them getting Hannah Telle back either).

To be honest I want to like this and the most recent trailer looked decent enough but overall everything about this project is rubbing me the wrong way. Hopefully the official sequel will be better.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 25, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks good, maybe now there's finally a chance for Seiken Densetsu 3 to get released stateside (why is that the only Mana game that never left Japan anyway?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

In a disappointing but unsurprising turn of events, the ACG guy says the Life is Strange prequel is bad and an unworthy cashgrab to the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vh1_LMM0A0

A pity, but about what I expected. Oh well, maybe DontNod's proper sequel will fare a little better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I really can't stress enough just how much the loss of Ashley Burch as Chloe tanked my interest in this game. Like straight up I would play this game and probably enjoy it even if it's not good if she was still voicing her. Every clip of the game with the new girl it just doesn't work. She isn't Chloe.

It's like, have any of you ever seen the Lilo & Stitch sequel that went to DVD? Animation wise it's really good but the new voice of Lilo (Dakota Fanning) is just a little bit off the entire time and she ends up way overacting and it really ruins what would otherwise be a pretty okay experience. This is how the BtS seems.

I mean I'm also a big fan of Ashley Burch in general tho so V:shobon:V

Cory in the House has a pretty good theme song at least. Knack has nothing

On the bright side, based on the footage I've seen from Before the Storm they seem to have gotten back the majority of the Life is Strange's cast (except possibly Frank) so that's something at least.

Which makes sense seeing as Ashley Burch was pretty much the only professional actor in the cast and as such would be the only one really affected by the strike.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ashly Burch was in Knack?

Ah sorry, I was referring to Life is Strange and it's recent prequel there.

• Locked thread