Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Ground floor, let's keep up the gaming through this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

FirstAidKite posted:

How'd the bday go Strix?

Great!! I had a great time, good pizza, and amongst my gifts is this kickin' rad book!

It was basically exactly as chill and fun as I wanted!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

One final gift I got for myself as a late present: I preordered this cool tank!

e: I'm an adult I swear, I say as I look at my new toys and play my new games and anticipate more cool toys coming in the mail

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Guy Mann posted:

If you aren't already following the AliExpress thread give it a look, it's rad for finding weird cheap little things that you order as a present for your future self since it can take weeks or even months for a shipment to arrive you'll have probably forgotten you even ordered it in the first place.

This looks completely bonkers - and I never go into GBS, so, thanks!

FirstAidKite posted:

That looks cool but oof, 21 bucks? Or 36 if you get two?

I remember getting these a while back, I only ever built the first one though because they're big and I don't exactly have any free and open space where they'd be able to stand safely. If I had them out on any of my current shelves, they'd get knocked over and potentially destroyed by the cats in no time. Anyway, I got these at Five and Below. I'm sure I've shown you them before but I'll post them for others to see, too.

Holy cow those robots look radical and I want them - I have big empty shelves waiting for more cool toys, haha.

And yeah, the tank is a bit expensive, but I have no idea how expensive papercrafts are in general, so I talk to the guy on twitter and like him so I figure half of the money goes to making him have a good day, which is good. The rest goes to getting a cool little project I can put together and stick next to my Shockwaves!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

August is Splatoon month. All months going forward are Splatoon month.

Bring splatoon to PC and I'll allow it

e: lol

https://twitter.com/howtuffareya/st...696120828645381

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at Aug 1, 2017 around 08:57

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

dis astranagant posted:

If you were the kind of guy who stays in the dorms over spring break things get pretty desperate.

Did. Did they not have access to google?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

dis astranagant posted:

How do you think he found the videos of people having the same bad idea but multiplayer style to wank to. I knew nothing about it til the cop investigating decided to get all graphic about what was found on his laptop and how they found him. Poor dude had his pants around his ankles and a Walmart sack over his head.

I'm so sorry dude

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

LawfulWaffle posted:

We have a name in mind (from a video game character, natch) but nothing's set in stone yet. I'll take suggestions for names for a baby boy. We've got about 6 weeks to mull them over.

Resenence Jeopardy
Dauntless Javelot
Wilfish Implexion

real names from Sign for the Sacred by Storm Constantine

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

LawfulWaffle posted:

wtf for a second I thought you were reading rejects from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymWAeqv_-c

haha, nope. They're names from my favorite crazy author. All of her stuff is 100% batshit in hilarious ways.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

I just had some chocolate chip mint ice cream, I just played some Pyre and dug it, time for a SMT shitpost

https://twitter.com/ranked51/status/775031353314115586

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So there's a steam sale, is Tales of Zestiria good? I like Symphonia and that's the only Tales game I've played.

Everything I've heard about it says it's intensely mediocre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Today I sat down, installed Shadowverse out a perverse sense of curiosity, promptly lost three hours of my life to it despite not precisely having fun, and only when I was out of the game did I manage to convince myself to uninstall it. Gods. That game feels just compelling enough to destroy my life if I let it, and I could see myself spending money on it or worse, and no no no no.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Hey, First Aid Kite, thanks for giving me the heads-up about this robot kit! It's fun to put together so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Also is there a toy thread somewhere in this forum? I know there's model painting in trad games and gunpla in ADTRW but where do I go to talk to goons about my cool new robot toy?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

And buggy as hell despite all the delays for bug testing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

We aren't neanderthal enough to understand the glory of this crash-tastic game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/893706978781937665

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought what I described would be something a little more uh

explainable than "lol ARG" or "lol SCP" :V

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

I'm tired so I wanted to play some more Path of Exile to chill by blowing up skeletons and it's down for maintenance.

Like I'm glad they're making the game more better and stuff but also I want to play right now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

CJacobs posted:

The good news is, nobody has ever successfully guessed my first name so imo I'm pretty safe

Carruthers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

FirstAidKite posted:

I woke up and can't get back to sleep. What's up people? How's everyone doing? It's Monday, but I hope everybody's having a good time either way.

I'm reflecting on how disappointed I am by Pillars of Eternity - I'd heard that it was generic/vanilla, but I somehow got the impression that the protagonist would be a kind of God who comes into their own, with the final levels being really high concept and cool or something.

Instead nope. They can see ghosts. Great. That's exciting. Never seen that before. Especially with this bland execution.

And worse, I'm playing it and Path of Exile at the same time, which has grimdark fantasy New Zealand in a really interesting plot - laidback, so I don't have to pay too much attention, and the lore is fun to read.

Basically they're both fantasy games but one is clearly better than the other (imo) and welp.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

https://twitter.com/mk_mot13/status/894372769302945792

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Oh yeah. Pillars of Eternity isn't necessarily a bad game, it's just more bland than I was expecting and I'm bummed.

I'm still gonna play it, see if it improves.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

I have to sleep but before I do: Battle Brothers is insanely good and turning a group of hobos into well-trained soldiers who can sweep 11 orc young without losing anyone is really satisfying.

- Orcs are really susceptible to being hit in the head, bring maces
- My band wiped to a group of goblins with an overseer afterwards - thank god for reloads, we'll leave them alone
- On the road between towns we found a cow and my idiots dared my beefy axe man into tipping it. He succeeded so I got everyone drunk at the next town to celebrate.
- One of my best dudes got recruited because he was being tarred and feathered for sticking his dick in a watermelon. We rescued him, he's good at fighting, there was an event in a city recently where he impressed a lady enough to score.

Basically it's a dudebro simulator but with death constantly at your side.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Which Tony Hawk game is that?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Phantasium posted:

that feeling when you load up a game with no options

Immediately quit it and look for a config file because it's 2017 and I refuse to play games full-screened like some plebian.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Snak posted:

Non fullscreened gaming is gross.

Unless you mean you want to switch it to a borderless window the size of your monitor, rather than having the application running in "full screen" mode...

I only have one monitor and need to chat with my friends, okay. Windowed mode or it's literally unplayable for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Snak posted:

...steam overlay?

chat on your phone?

But still, if there's one thing that I don't need to improve my gaming experience, it's my row of 30 tabs open in chrome, a LaTex editor, a two powershell instances, my steam library, task manager, discord, etc all peaking around the edges of my game. Please block all that out so i can focus on the game.

I chat with my friends via discord and skype, and my phone's keyboard isn't as good to use as my laptop's is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Cowcaster posted:

you can still put it in windowed borderless and just alt tab

i mean are you shrinking the game window down to the corner of your screen so you can see your discord or what because that's what straight windowed is for

Nah - it's down to 1366x768 which is fine for playing, and that way I can see the icons flash and alt-tab to them. I'm not yet used to borderless fullscreen as it's still new and I mean, I'm used to keeping an eye out for a flashing icon. (As I mute any chat alerts.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Cowcaster posted:

i've become aware that there's an entire mass culture of people who never close tabs, or their internet browsers, ever. they just keep opening new tabs into the hundreds.

My friend literally crashed her laptop once because chrome had like several hundred tabs open that she wouldn't close.

I get a little OCD-esque when I hear about these people because no no no you close your tabs when you're done with them!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Norns posted:

Stop splitting your attention between 80 things you idiots

But.... if I don't, I can't have a social life and play games!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Nate RFB posted:

I have a spreadsheet of my backlog organized by howlongtobeat playtimes, and just jump around as needed for when I want a shorter game or longer game. Unless I just straight up drop a game I usually stick with it until I finish, and then move on. This does result in being a year or two behind the latest and greatest but that's fine by me because it usually means I'm able to get them cheaper on sale.

I mean I don't have a spreadsheet but the latest and greatest game is usually too expensive/won't run on my laptop, so I'm a generation or three behind playing other things - or indie games!

Send help Battle Brothers has devoured my life

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/895333075181223936

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/895825686295859200

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Eternal Poison wasn't that bad as a tactical rpg but I ran into the problem where you had oneshot battles and no way to grind, so you had to do every battle in a way where everyone got to level up, or else you got screwed.

Which was tedious, so I quit playing. I hope I missed something though, this was back when I was like 16 and 16 me was not the brightest at videogames.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Dragonatrix posted:

I haven't played it in years, but I remember it being thoroughly "meh" for the most part, really. Nothing particularly stood out as bad, but not really anything that was all that good either.

Yeah. Part of its appeal is that there were like 2 srpgs on the PS2 outside of the Disgaea games and their ilk. And I mean, I love Soul Nomad and Makai Kingdom with all my heart, but a girl needs variety.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

FirstAidKite posted:

Now tell me about onimusha tactics and yu yu hakusho tactics and army man tactics

Those weren't on the PS2 - or at least, not in the gamestop in my neck of the woods. This was before I learned to buy games off of amazon

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

Zaggitz posted:

Man I've been hearing about how good ex-aid is but those webms might be the thing that convince me to give that thing a shot. I haven't like a kamen rider series since W ended. (watch kamen rider W it owns)

Ex-Aid is genuinely good in that its plot is a well-oiled machine that delivers moments of to you at the precise time for maximum impact.

It has a guy who turns into a bike.

It has a Christmas episode.

It has genuinely great looking suits.

It's just that I watched it pretty much directly after watching the most serious show in the franchise (Kuuga) and slammed into it and I'm still not sure if I actually like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No fear! No pain!

FirstAidKite posted:

You certainly liked hearing me break down over the discord call the further and further we got into the episode

There's nothing better than hearing another person crack up with laughter

Endorph posted:

personally when i watch something cool i go 'wow, that's cool'

It's more that I'm a nerd who wants to figure out if what I watched was fun, good, or both. And then liking something is entirely different - Kamen Rider W for example is very fun and almost good but I'm not sure if I like it thanks to Shotaro being abrasive. Kamen Rider Ghost by contrast is fun, terrible, and I love it.

e: And to round it off Kamen Rider Kuuga is not fun to watch (kinda) but it is extremely good and it is easily my favorite Kamen Rider show. It tells an absolutely rock-solid story and what's silly about it is incidental to the characters, not dominating the whole thing like it does in W or Ex-Aid.

• Locked thread
«4 »