Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To kick off this new month of video games I just beat Prey and drat, that's a good fuckin game. I don't know if I want to dive back in for a second playthrough right away or move on to something a little lighter for a bit, but I'm probably gonna be going back for a second playthrough at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Nightmare At The Lighthouse, the tri-county area's premier Panic At The Disco cover band.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

McSpanky posted:

A lot of licensed games are lovely and a lot are probably turned out for the :10bux: but that venn diagram isn't a perfect circle, it seems unfair to blanket dismiss all licensed games as soulless cash grabs, even the mediocre ones (but yes, probably most of them). I mean, there's plenty of original garbage games made under contract too. And you know, leaf through the steam "indie" tag sometime...

Kind of late to the discussion here but this is along the lines of what I was going to post. War For/Fall of Cybertron are both unironically good games despite being based on Transformers, it's evident that they were made by people passionate about both the subject material as well as passionate about making them good games and weren't just some schlock cashgrabs shat out to rake in a quick buck. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is a movie tie-in video game made by a company founded by the actor who plays the character in the movie the video game is based on, by all rights this should have been a horrendous trainwreck of self-aggrandizement and yet somehow, despite all odds, it's actually pretty solid.

Video games are a weird, messy, complicated business and sometimes it seems like a complete crapshoot whether any given game will turn out to be good, bad, or indifferent regardless of whether it's licensed, developed and/or published by a company with a certain reputation, etc. If you'd told me that the company best known for the Killzone franchise, the most thoroughly mediocre FPS series I've ever played, was going to create one of the best open world games of 2017 I would have thought you were having me on. Hell, look at all the people who figured DOOM '16 was going to be a huge turd, or who got blindsided by how good Wolfenstein: the New Order turned out to be. I have no idea why Platinum's TMNT game is so dang bad but I'm willing to bet that the fact that it's a TMNT game is, at most, one small part of a much bigger picture that people on the outside looking in rarely if ever get to see.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

I mean, people don't review books or movies until they actually finish them. I think there are two kinds of "review" we're talking about here. "I got bored after 2 hours, not recommended" isn't a review of a game, it's a review of a 2 hour span of time.

Well to the first point, books and movies generally take, at most, 2-3 hours to finish in their entirety. I think it actually is unreasonable to say that someone's criticism of a game is invalid or less valid if they didn't finish it because depending on the game you're looking at anywhere between 20-80 hours unless it's a game where you can simply ignore huge chunks of content to beeline straight to the end, and that's not necessarily going to give you a good picture of what the game's like either.

As for the second point, a review of an X hour chunk of a game can be a useful review of a game but it depends entirely on the content of the review in question and unsurprisngly a lot of Steam reviews are vapid garbage the way most reviews of anything by random internet users are.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snak posted:

Both are equally valid, as long as the reviewer is honest about their experience. A review that says "I played this for 2 hours an didn't like it and here's why" is totally of value to someone who isn't interested in that experience. Is it an objective review of the complete package? No, of course not. But not every cares if a game gets good 14 hours in or whatever.

Yeah, the classic "The first 15 hours of the game are kind of a drag but then it gets better once you're out of that first part!" thing is a perfect example of why a review of an uncompleted game can be perfectly valid and useful to the prospective buyer (provided, as you said, it's honest and explains things).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

The first time I saw this criticism it was pointed at FFXIII. It was then that I realized that we will never have Square Enix back in the right

The one I really remember is people saying this about Kingdom Hearts 2 which has some ridiculously long "tutorial/prologue" section.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

What books are you reading that you can finish them in 2 hours?

I mean fair cop, I've never really sat down and timed myself, but there was a point where I could go through a couple books a day. That's not a thing I've ever been able to do with video games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well for the 1,000 or so people who still play No Man's Sky I'm sure this is a nice treat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I watched a video of someone playing part of Gears of War 4 and the plotline is literally "you only thought you beat the Locust, they've actually just been in time-out and now they've turned into new SUPER-LOCUST and are doing the exact same poo poo as before." Also somehow you spend half the game fighting disposable robots or something. It looks real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

I'd play a Kirby game by Platinum.

Hell, who wouldn't?

• Locked thread