Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Ground floor :getin:

I think I'm going to try playing some mediocre GC platformers, here at 9:00 on this July 31st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG45AyHLEX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm not loving with you, I have Vexx loaded up right now

i hope you enjoy it

it's actually a surprisingly ok game and even lets you skip the tutorial and all the cutscenes and has sort of decent atmosphere and design, it's just also like 1/3rd of a game so it also feels like a drugged up incoherent mario 64 clone nightmare. the developers had to split one level into two just so they didn't have an empty space where a level should have been

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 1, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Turok 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenoblade is fun it's just not one of the best jrpgs ever made

i still really like xenogears though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So there's a steam sale, is Tales of Zestiria good? I like Symphonia and that's the only Tales game I've played.

berseria is one of the best jrpgs ever made and more than worth 30 bucks, zestiria is a team of low-budget jrpg designers getting given a bunch of money and a longer dev cycle and deciding the best idea is to make an open-world game with branching story paths and then realizing a while into development they don't have the resources for either of those things and don't have the time to reset development so they just bash together something resembling a game from the scraps of story they have and the result is a broken ugly mess with zero characters and zero payoff for anything other than funny gags and the moral of the story is that Sometimes Murdering People Is OK If They Have Brain Problems And Disagree With You And You're Always Morally In The Right Including When It Comes To Killing People

it's so bad the anime rewrote the entire plot to be completely different and not have one of the most important characters vanish seven hours in

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 2, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think the Persona games are good RPGs and don't see the appeal in turning them into fighting and rhythm games.

people like the music and the visual style is well-suited for it, and people like the characters and they have good potential for movesets and the fighting games are good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Guy Mann posted:

The Persona 5 intro with the Yuri on Ice guy doing the rotoscoping was rad, though.

sayo yamamoto is a woman, unless you're talking about someone else

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
as a close associate of littleorv, i can confirm he is not alright and is in fact a punkish crook and i love him dearly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have a gtx 750ti and an amd athlon x4 750k and i can run pc ports of modern jrpgs and bayonetta at 60fps on medium settings at 1680x1050 ama

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

What's you're favorite mega man game

a tie between mega man zero 3 and 4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
9 and x are pretty good. i think 9 has better level design than a lot of the classic series but i haven't properly played through the old nes ones in a while, i have a hard time staying interested in playing them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

I should play the Zero games

zero 1 is kind of a mess and some of the boss designs and missions suck and the lives system is utter garbage but it has some neat concepts. zero 2 is a big improvement but the unskippable cutscenes are kind of annoying and the weapon level system is still there. zero 3 and 4 are pretty much the perfect zero games, they let you skip cutscenes, get rid of the weapon level system and are basically just insanely tight action games from start to finish

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it gets kind of annoying but the camera is a much bigger issue in zero 1 than it is in the later games, because zero 1 isn't really designed with any consideration of it while the later games are much better about it. zero 1 has a bunch of bits where it's really easy to steer yourself into instant death pits just because you can't see, the only bit i can think of like that off the top of my head in the later games is the water areas in zero 3 and zx and the big tree tower in zx advent

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've only played the gba versions but yeah unless you're looking to refight the zero 3 and 4 bosses in zx1 or hook zero 3 up to a copy of battle network, that's probably a good way to play it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the greatest reason for zero games after the first one is basically everything to do with omega zero. he's probably the best final boss in any mega man game ever made, in a series that already spawned and would later spawn the second and third best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOlHuDVz1Ys

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's ten bucks right now so maybe

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol i'm watching someone stream x3 and it's making me really remember how awful sigma is in this game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the peoplpe who helped bring gex 3 to nintendo 64 are the only people i trust to save the jrpg industry

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz posted:

gex 2, actually. 3 never came to 64

is this some meme i'm not aware of

it's the way i was introduced to gex as a child and i hate it for that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kBrWNuQnD8

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't recommend mega man 1 to someone, it kinda sucks rear end and has some of the cheapest level design among all the nes games

i'd say anything from mm3-6 and the the first five or so x games are good starting places and if you play x4 or 5 and like playing as zero, i'd rec the zero games from there. mm2 is maybe an alright place to start but it has enough cheese with stuff like the boobeam trap that i still wouldn't say it's the most friendly to someone jumping in

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like x4, and x2 and x3 would be good if they didn't have the annoying sub-boss secret stuff and significantly worse sigmas than x1 but in terms of general level design they're not atrocious

never play x6

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this man's hitbox is smaller than his face

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway battle network is fun but bn3 has too much annoying backtracking for me to say it's better than any of the platformers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I gave up on MMBN fairly early in the series. I beat the first one but I remember getting g to a point in the second one where the fetch quest nature of the central game just became overwhelming tedious and I just stopped playing. I'm usually pretty tolerant of that kind if stuff but at one point, despite liking the central gameplay, all my will to go on just left me.

yeah i'm gonna say you should just skip to 3 cause while it's still got some pretty bad fetch questy stuff, it's not anywhere near battle network 2's level of making the entire loving internet a conveyor belt maze. and then probably just skip to 6 after that if you're not interested in playing a hilariously badly written but mechanically ok game and a game where you team up with ribitta and mr. higsby to fight evil

Nate RFB posted:

I have not played an X game besides X1 and X2.

x3 is a decent game on the surface with lots of bafflingly bad design choices underneath, x4 is a good game that's just not aged super good because all the best parts of it (zero) are done better in the zero games, x5 has a killer soundtrack but is kind of piss easy and x6 could almost be called the worst 2d mega man game ever made if network transmission didn't exist

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's the only part of x5 you should ever care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57arnjuNmy0

this guy owns because he doesn't have any super dark villain motivation he's just an rear end in a top hat being paid to murder thousands of people and he doesn't really give a gently caress. and then he goes insane and dies in x6

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

First mm games I ever played was Battle Network 1 and then 2, and I saw they were putting a game on GameCube, so I bought Network transmission and it was so bad I never touched another MM game again until 2016

it's amazing when you compare network transmission to the janky bad wonderswan battle network game that was basically the same thing, and the wonderswan game is like a billion times better even though it's hilariously broken mechanically

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually, the dialog in battle network is amazing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 4, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
most of dunkey's post-lol stuff is funny but that splatoon 2 video is bad and the tangent he goes on on jrpgs in his video on game reviewers is weird

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
slowbeef killed a bunch of guys. he's a mass murderer, i think

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh any version of majora's mask is one of the coolest games ever made

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I got Tales of Xillia today and I'm playing through as Jude. It's cool and all, but I'm gonna have to readjust to how combat was before Berseria

if you ever want something a bit more similar to berseria you can always play graces. the story is atrocious but also kind of hilariously irrelevant after a point and the actual cast is funny when they all get together, and the combat sets the whole foundation for stuff like berseria with its focus on moving around a 3d environment and all basic attacks being artes that you chain into each other

i hope you have fun with xillia though, it's got issues and definitely has a way more rushed finale than berseria, but most of the main cast is really good, the combat builds up a lot as you progress, and the setting is pretty neat. plus, xillia 2 does a lot to explore stuff xillia 1 doesn't get to while doing its own thing that is also really weird and cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there were definitely tweets showing him saying that stuff but the account that posted them is private now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ah, Bayonetta

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really care if someone likes the gameplay in DmC more cause it's sort of decently fun even if its appeal does not last nearly as long, but DmC dante isn't even like consistently obnoxious for most of the game he's just kind of bland and if anything i think that might be worse than him being an eternal jerkass on top of the game actively wanting you to think he's a super cool badass

old dante is cool cause there's only one game where he's just sort of a cool badass who also gets really melodramatic, and in every game after he's either a friendly dork trying to do cool poo poo and fumbling at the last second every time, or a weird uncle. i'm not counting dmc2

also the fox news boss in DmC is kind of amazing conceptually and it sort of looks cool but it's really boring to fight. the boss fights in DmC outside of the very last one kind of suck, there's one chapter that's just a really really long boss fight and it's possibly the worst part of the game on multiple levels. there's nothing interesting about fighting most of the bosses and it really shows when that entire fight just ends up feeling like you're doing the exact same bullshit for like ten minutes with no variety

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the difference between DmC and dark souls is that in dark souls a boss takes ten minutes because you keep getting slammed in the face midway through and in DmC a boss takes ten minutes because it takes a billion hits to kill and has like three phases that are all annoying and bad

and you can't get an op weapon and character build to speed it up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please stop bringing dark souls into this serious discussion of DmC: Devil may Cry, the video game that is not as bad as Devil May Cry 2

also i'm gonna give a hot take i think most of the character designs in ninja theory's games look bad. but DmC is the only one i've played

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 7, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

Hellblade looks like they played MGR and thought to themselves 'how can we make this slow and boring?'

i already played indie games that did that so i think they might be late to corner that market

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dmc3pc is, uh, mostly playable? there's a mod that makes it, almost work, but it definitely always has nasty performance issues unless you're ok playing without music

the ps2 version emulates fine if you're ok doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe the best dmc game is sonic unleashed

• Locked thread