Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just be like me and get unemployed and don't hang out with anyone except your spouse yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm catching up on the thread and re Disney Infinity chat from page 41, FirstAidKite's post was accurate. Also every baffling decision that they made surrounding that franchise has a story behind it that involves at least a dozen different egos. It's a miracle it came out at all.

Lego can manage it because Lego is a solid brand that ip holders WANT to be involved with whereas Infinity was the stepchild of the family. We had to beg for ips and their gatekeepers often had to be compelled by upper management to play nice. Even then it got messy and there were rules on rules. Darth Vader couldn't appear in marketing with Disney characters. Why not? They do in the Parks? Doesn't matter, Lucasfilm says no. No one working on the game wanted Yondu but Marvel said if we didn't make Yondu they wouldn't let us use any of the Guardians characters. Geoffry Rush denied use of his likeness but Bruckheimer approved use of his Pirates character. All Jolie likenesses had to be approved personally by Jolie herself. The Tron people only meet with people once a year to discuss licensing approvals so don't miss that 1 meeting or no Tron for a year. Want to license "Wish Upon A Star", that song that Disney already owns? It's literally millions of dollars we'd have to pay out of the game's budget.

Disney TV animation and Parks were the most chill departments that were just stoked to be included. Marvel and Lucas were by far the worst and hated that they got bought by Disney and were being forced to be in their Disney game.

And on and on and on. Every character every day every IP holder needed to be pacified and coddled and most of all paid.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, Pixar were always top class professionals too. They were the only ones who would actually legitimately collaborate on things with us. I always loved working with them and the Inside Out game is still the high point of my career.

Edit: vvv There's some of my work at that Artstation link if anyone is curious. :)

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

mutata fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 9, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://youtu.be/-cw2gXq83n8 Here's the Borderlands 3 tech presentation from GDC this year. It has actual vis dev footage from Borderlands 3 because Gearbox is indeed making a third Borderlands. They're making other games too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I wish the Disney Infinity brand had just abandoned the game and exclusively done figures because I loved the figures and I'm forever sad we're not getting a decent Maui and Moana figure anymore :(

I have a Sorcerer's Apprentice Micky, Vanellope and Wreck-it Ralph DI figures and they are such good quality little figures, I never played the games.

We had prototypes, 3d prints, and even color masters for Moana and Maui in the office when they shut us down. That was the most beautiful of our games. It all looked so good. Someday I want to track down the digital sculpt files for the 2 of them and get them 3d printed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

vermin posted:

Achievement unlocked: 25 to life.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Olds getting mad at words is one of the most perplexing things to me. It's been very odd to watch my contemporaries turn into Apple Jacks cereal commercial antagonists.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Sniper Elite games also feature Nazi disposal.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

HL3 was never coming out years ago. It's been a long time since that fanbase has been lying to itself.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Let's talk about the damage Pong has done to games in general. Technically all bad games have come about because of Pong, so.... :smug:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Why do you need to keep pointing that out tho?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That last paragraph though. :smith:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yo VideoGames check your PMs, sugar! ;)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

September Restored: Big Knack Tonight

mutata fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU