Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

LA Times posted:

Joe Arpaio, the Arizona lawman who once proclaimed himself “America’s toughest sheriff” and was largely praised by conservatives for his hard-line policing tactics, was found guilty Monday of criminal contempt, bringing his tenure as a relentless crusader against illegal immigration to an end.

More than a month after lawyers wrapped up closing arguments, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton found Arpaio guilty for defying a judge’s 2011 court order to refrain from racially profiling Latinos during patrols and turning them over to federal immigration authorities.

The 85-year-old is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 5 and could face up to six months in jail.

During the trial, which took place in a federal court in Phoenix, prosecutors argued that Arpaio intentionally violated the court order, which demanded his officers stop detaining people simply on the suspicion that they were in the country illegally — a practice that had led to the detention of some Latinos who were citizens or legal residents.

Prosecutors used Arpaio’s own words against him, pointing to several media appearances throughout the years, including a Univision interview in March 2012 in which he admitted that he was still targeting people based on immigration status.

“If they don’t like what I’m doing,” he said, addressing his opponents, “get the laws changed in Washington.”

In an interview with Fox News two months later, Arpaio said he was going to continue arresting immigrants in the country illegally: “I’m not going to give it up. I’m going to continue to enforce state laws and federal laws.”

Arpaio’s lawyer, Jack Wilenchik, argued that the court order from U.S. District Judge G. Murray Snow was not clear and that the sheriff was simply carrying out state and federal laws without intentionally profiling anybody or asking his department to do so.

Wilenchik said Monday that Arpaio planned to appeal Bolton’s verdict and get a trial by jury. Arpaio lost his bid for a jury trial in early May after Bolton rejected it on the grounds that the law did not require juries in cases in which the potential jail term was so short.

“Bolton violated the U.S. Constitution by issuing her verdict without even reading it to the defendant in public court,” Wilenchik said in a statement. “Arpaio believes that a jury would have found in his favor, and that it will. He is in this for the long haul.”

In her written opinion, Bolton said the evidence showed “flagrant disregard” for the court order and that Arpaio had “willfully violated” it. She also said Arpaio had failed to ensure his department complied with the order by directing his deputies to “continue to detain” people.

Bolton said evidence showed that Arpaio understood the order.

“Despite this knowledge, the defendant broadcast to the world and to his subordinates that he would and they should continue ‘what he had always been doing,’” Bolton said.

Arpaio was elected sheriff of Arizona’s Maricopa County in 1992 and served six terms before losing reelection in November.

He was known for crackdowns on illegal immigration and tough incarceration policies. He forced inmates to wear pink underwear and housed them in canvas tents under the hot Arizona sun.

Such practices drew sharp criticism from advocates for civil and immigrant rights but made him popular with many Arizonans and turned him into a national icon for opponents of illegal immigration. He campaigned for Donald Trump during last year’s presidential race and continued to be a leading proponent of the lie that President Obama was not born in the United States after Trump dropped it.

He continued to boast about cracking down on illegal immigration even after his department received profiling complaints.

Immigrant advocate groups welcomed the judge’s ruling and said the decision provided lessons other departments should follow.

“Local sheriffs pursuing undocumented immigrants leads to unconstitutional policing, racial profiling and illegal stops,” Cecillia Wang, the American Civil Liberties Union deputy legal director, wrote on Twitter.

“Sheriffs and police chiefs who decline to do immigration enforcement and focus on public safety have it right.”

I'm assuming we all know about this guy since he's pretty awful. All I care about is where he will be jailed and if he gonna see gen. pop. I would laugh a whole lot if he got shanked or something. The guy is literally one of the most reprehensible people in state politics.

I also suspect that if he goes to jail he'll get all sorts of perks because his warden buddies will cut him a hold shitload of slack. I'm assuming Arizona's hosed up correctional systems administrators liked the fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
He's pretty funny on Cops.

SOME PEOPLE SAY THE BOLOGNA TURNS GREEN IN THE HEAT. IT'S CHEAPER THAN HAM AND CHEESE. IT DOESN'T LOOK GREEN TO ME. MAYBE THESE JOKERS CAN LEARN TO READ A BOOK. GREEN EGGS AND HAM. [paraphrasing]

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Sand Dan posted:

He's pretty funny on Cops.

SOME PEOPLE SAY THE BOLOGNA TURNS GREEN IN THE HEAT. IT'S CHEAPER THAN HAM AND CHEESE. IT DOESN'T LOOK GREEN TO ME. MAYBE THESE JOKERS CAN LEARN TO READ A BOOK. GREEN EGGS AND HAM. [paraphrasing]

Was that the time he hung out with Steven Seagal and took down some villainous brown people/killed a puppy

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
It was the time he was harassing people in the desert tent city with a camera crew while they all had desperate poo poo eating grins on their faces hoping for leniency. I couldn't believe it. It was an amazing piece of American television.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
The sentence is "up to six months" jail time, but what's the minimum? Is there any chance they'll actually be jailing an 85 year old?

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Loutre posted:

The sentence is "up to six months" jail time, but what's the minimum? Is there any chance they'll actually be jailing an 85 year old?

Yeah, I want him to get owned. Hard. In the rear end.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Lock him up, throw away the key, forget about the key, forget about him. And he rots rots rots.

There should be a tent somewhere in this process.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm glad that fag is gonna die in jail

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

6 whole months?!

Why don't you just send him to bed without supper if you want him to suffer so much

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Would he be going to jail in Maricopa county? Where 95% of the people in there are Hispanics because he arrested them for being Hispanic?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

a rare moment of justice:

the article posted:

The Department of Defense has taken possession of a 1960’s era self-propelled howitzer from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Department.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

During his time in office, the sheriff's office "cleared" a bunch of cases that they never bothered to actually investigate, including a bunch of rapes.

His deputies entrapped a guy to make it look there was an assassination plot against Arpaio that never actually existed.

His swat team raided a house on some bad info about illegal weapons, burned it down, ran over a neighbor's car, and killed the family dog. In the end all they accomplished was arresting a guy for failure to appear on traffic tickets.

This is only scratching the surface and tax payers have had to pay millions in settlements because of his fuckery.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

During his time in office, the sheriff's office "cleared" a bunch of cases that they never bothered to actually investigate, including a bunch of rapes.

His deputies entrapped a guy to make it look there was an assassination plot against Arpaio that never actually existed.

His swat team raided a house on some bad info about illegal weapons, burned it down, ran over a neighbor's car, and killed the family dog. In the end all they accomplished was arresting a guy for failure to appear on traffic tickets.

This is only scratching the surface and tax payers have had to pay millions in settlements because of his fuckery.

Yeah but if there's one thing grandpa can still get hard for it's a fwd fwd fwd: about sherriff joe showing those entitled criminals what for

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Human Crouton posted:

Would he be going to jail in Maricopa county? Where 95% of the people in there are Hispanics because he arrested them for being Hispanic?

I hope so...

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

New radio was saying it is incredibly unlikely that he will actually serve any time so you won't get to see the insane old man in prison.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vynar posted:

New radio was saying it is incredibly unlikely that he will actually serve any time so you won't get to see the insane old man in prison.

See? Arpaio leaves and they immediately go soft and start babying criminals! Maybe he was right all along?????

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
He's not going to prison. Even if he was going to prison, he'd be in protective custody with unheard-of privileges

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
FREE ARPAIO

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Streak posted:

FREE ARPAIO

Into an active volcano

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
i cannot wait for this old gently caress to die

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
Out of interest has the new sheriff cleaned house?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you think this man will ever see the inside of a cell.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Didn't that guy get fired from Trump's staff yesterday?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

trump will pardon him

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

poverty goat posted:

trump will pardon him

Even if he didn't, Arpaio is an 85 year old former cop facing a small sentence. I would be surprised if he got more than probation or house arrest.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Put him in tent city.

Put him in loving tent city.

Hell, lock him up in the same cage they used to kill that woman.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

poverty goat posted:

trump will pardon him

probably yeah im sure he found the tent cities very impressive

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the people who are paying for his millions in lawsuits are the same vicious old white fucks who love arpaio to death and keep electing him

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the people who are paying for his millions in lawsuits are the same vicious old white fucks who love arpaio to death and keep electing him

lol why is it important to note that they are white you god drat literal racist

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
sounds like a real piece of work op

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

lol if you think he's actually gonna serve one loving day in a jail.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/RealTrillBill/status/892194761259593730

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secular Humanist posted:

lol why is it important to note that they are white you god drat literal racist

hmmmmm yes the mind friggin boggles

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

goddamn

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Put him in tent city.

Put him in loving tent city.

Hell, lock him up in the same cage they used to kill that woman.

I hope the DoD does live artillery tests... On the howitzer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lol

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

BOTCHED SEX-CRIMES INVESTIGATIONS
Arpaio's reputation for being tough on crime was undermined by his failure to adequately investigate more than 400 sex-crimes cases, including dozens of child molestation reports, over a three-year period ending in 2007.
The sheriff offered a qualified apology in December 2011 for the bungled cases, and his office has since said it moved to clear up the cases and took steps to prevent the problem from happening again.
Officials agreed in 2015 to pay $3.5 million to settle a lawsuit that alleged Arpaio botched the investigation into the rape of a 13-year-old girl and failed to arrest the suspect who then went on to attack her again.
___
LEGAL COSTS
Maricopa County spent $141 million defending Arpaio against lawsuits. That includes $54 million in the racial profiling case alone and $82 million in judgments, settlements and legal fees for the sheriff's office, covering issues such as lawsuits over deaths in his jails and the lawman's failed investigations of political enemies.
For much of his career, the taxpayer costs didn't diminish Arpaio's popularity enough to drive him out of office.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

“If there were any victims, I apologize to those victims,” of the 400 rapes he didn't investigate so he could detain visa over-stayers for jaywalking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

paul_soccer10 posted:

hmmmmm yes the mind friggin boggles

yes its very important that they are WHITE.

they are terrible people, and they are also WHITE people, so i think as i have clearly demonstrated my racism is super duper justified

i wonder if any racists in history have ever felt morally justified in their dumb lovely racism?

• Locked thread