Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

I'm saying that Spanish people come from Spain.

cole was meaning hispanic not spanish. of course there are spaniards in both places, but they are small minorities in each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Apparently Bitcoin forked. There's now Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash. Bitcoin plummeted as people are trying to get Bitcoin Cash.

I'm not even sure what I just wrote.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

shyduck posted:

Apparently Bitcoin forked. There's now Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash. Bitcoin plummeted as people are trying to get Bitcoin Cash.

I'm not even sure what I just wrote.
Nah, bitcoin is fine. It started the day at $2800, dipped to $2700, but that's normal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

cole was meaning hispanic not spanish. of course there are spaniards in both places, but they are small minorities in each.

i was talking about the high population of spanish speaking people in both places, if i had known how pedantic the conversation would get i would've prefaced it by saying :siren: don't take this too serious :siren:

also, don't speak for other people. it's rude.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

RFC2324 posted:

Imagine a place that wants to be super conservative like Texas, but also wants to party like it's spring break all the time.

That place is Florida.

Its the last stop on I-95, a lot of people who hosed up and got chased out of NY or Jersey end up in Florida. The recently divorced, half-bent wiseguys, deadbeat dads, college dropouts, etc.

It's also a good place to go bankrupt. If you file for bankruptcy in Florida, they can't garnish your retirement funds or seize your house to collect judgements. After OJ lost his civil trial, he moved to Miami so the Goldberg's wouldn't get his NFL pension.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 2, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

If it's a fork don't people that have bitcoin now have both, one on each fork? They are 2 independent things that aren't transferable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

If it's a fork don't people that have bitcoin now have both, one on each fork? They are 2 independent things that aren't transferable.

Twice as much money!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Basically, but one chain will become orphaned eventually and will rapidly end up as a frisbee on the roof.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Yo, so can someone explain to a non-American what the gently caress is up with Florida? I mean besides the old people, Cuban exiles, and a depressing amount of swampland.

Please ask questions as a resident I will do my best

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Basically, but one chain will become orphaned eventually and will rapidly end up as a pizza on the roof.

Ftfy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There was a mass escape from an Alabama jail a few days ago. What's notable is how they escaped from the jail.

Peanut butter.

quote:

The last of a dozen inmates who used peanut butter to escape from an Alabama jail was caught Tuesday.

Brady Kilpatrick was captured in Florida, where he was tracked down by Florida law enforcement and the FBI, according to the Palm Beach Post. The 24-year-old was the only one of the escapees to make it out of Alabama, according to the sheriff’s office.

On Sunday a dozen inmates escaped from a Walker County jail not by cutting through steel bars, drilling through walls or ripping a toilet from a wall.

Walker County Sheriff Jim Underwood told reporters Monday that the inmates used peanut butter to make the number on one of the cell doors look like the number on a door leading to the outside of the jail. An inmate then asked an unsuspecting jail guard in the control room to open his cell, saying he needed to get back in.

But unknown to the guard, he had inadvertently unlocked the door that opened to the outside.

“That may sound crazy, but these people are crazy like a fox,” Underwood said.

Underwood said the inmates’ plan was “well laid out,” and they took advantage of an inexperienced employee.

“This is one time we slipped up. I’m not going to make excuses. It was a human error that caused this to happen. … He’s a young guy, hadn’t been here that long,” Underwood said of the guard, whom he did not name.

The 12 inmates then used blankets to cover and climb over a razor-wire fence that surrounds the Walker County Jail in Jasper, Ala., northwest of Birmingham. Several of them rode in one truck, while the others ran in different directions, Underwood said.

Eleven have since been recaptured and are in custody. One, Brady Andrew Kilpatrick, who was in jail on drug possession charges, remains at large. The inmates are between 18 and 30. Two are in jail on attempted murder charges. The others are charged with crimes such as burglary, theft, drug charges, domestic violence, breaking and entering and disorderly conduct.

Underwood said the inmates will face additional charges as a result of the escape. Others who helped them after they escaped will also be charged. He did not say what will happen to the jail guard, only telling reporters, “We’re going to take care of that matter.”

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

facialimpediment posted:

There was a mass escape from an Alabama jail a few days ago. What's notable is how they escaped from the jail.

Peanut butter.

Thats awesome.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wanna know more about the guy who decided to escape that was in on a disorderly conduct charge

Like that can't be that long of a sentence dude, now you're in actual trouble

edit: the last guy to be caught in Florida had a weed charge :psyduck:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 2, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shyduck posted:

I wanna know more about the guy who decided to escape that was in on a disorderly conduct charge

Like that can't be that long of a sentence dude, now you're in actual trouble

I'm guessing it was a case of being black in Alabama, which carries a life sentence for most charges.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Drug possession, disorderly conduct...

Insanely retarded haha

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

quote:

— Steven Blake Lamb, age 28 of Quinton (in jail for Attempted Murder, Robbery 1st, Theft 1st, Reckless Endangerment, Probation Revocation).

— Christopher Micheal Smith, age 19, of Jasper (in jail for Attempted Murder, Burglary 1st, Unlawful Breaking and Entering, Theft 2nd);

— Larry Inman Jr, age 29 of Parrish (in jail for 2 counts of Receiving Stolen Property, Attempting to Elude, Failure to Appear);

— Ethan Howard Pearl, age 24 of Jasper (in jail for Resisting Arrest, Obstructing Government Operations, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Promoting Prison Contraband, Failure to appear on Theft 4th);

— Johnny Richard Hunter, age 26 of Jasper (in jail for Burglary 3rd, Theft 4th, Possession of Burglar’s Tools, Escape 1st , Court Referral Office Violation);

Christopher Cole Spain, age 18 of Jasper (in jail for Failure to Appear on Disorderly Conduct);

— Kristopher Keith Secrest, age 20 of Oakman (in jail for Felony Domestic Violence 2nd and Giving False Information to Law Enforcement);

— Quadrekas Latoddrick Key, age 21 of Parrish (in jail for Possession of a Controlled Substance, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, and Attempting to Elude);

— Timothy Chaz Cooper, age 28 of Cordova (in jail for Breaking and Entering Motor Vehicle and Theft 4th );

— Steven Sanford Hartley, age 27 of Hoover (in jail for Theft of Property 1st)
lmao you turned a failure to appear into a prison escape, good job bro

Also Quadrekas Latoddrick Key is some Key & Peele poo poo

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You know in Restrepo where the Capt is all "I didn't want to prejudge the situation so I avoided reading anything about the Korengal. Forget everything that happened before I wandered in because I couldn't be bothered to do any research"?

Kushner is trying to do that on a much larger scale.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Missionary Positron posted:

Yo, so can someone explain to a non-American what the gently caress is up with Florida? I mean besides the old people, Cuban exiles, and a depressing amount of swampland.

I live in Florida and I can't even explain it. There are fuckups all over the US, but the ones here in Florida seem to be in a competition that the fuckups in the other states don't even know about to be the biggest fuckups in the United States.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

McNally posted:

I'm saying that Spanish people come from Spain.

Tell that to all the people in Florida that call themselves Spanish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

That's just like Irish people calling themselves white.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Did they come from Spain

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Did they come from Spain

Conquistador soldiers were mostly made up of the dregs of society with a huge amount of them being rape babies from moorish population. It's such a strange thing to want to claim to be the product of people just doing what happened to them in the old country.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

LingcodKilla posted:

Conquistador soldiers were mostly made up of the dregs of society with a huge amount of them being rape babies from moorish population. It's such a strange thing to want to claim to be the product of people just doing what happened to them in the old country.

Welcome to American White Nationalism

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Just a reminder last week was totally loving insane

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Smiling Jack posted:

We're gonna have to redefine insane, because drat, every week is insane.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Smiling Jack posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/892479248140832768

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/892529693429202945

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/892579750706909184

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/344891-boy-scouts-dispute-trump-claim-that-their-leader-called-his?amp

No matter how insane it was, it will always be more insane. I think lying about the Boy Scouts head calling your speech the best ever is pretty drat high up there.

I mean he says that poo poo all the time, but holy crap lying about the Boy Scouts to the WSJ.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I hope all those mormons that were clapping for his dumbass speech wind up enlisting and drinking alcohol and loving strippers gently caress the Boy Scouts

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Mormons?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a shitload of Mormons in the scouts. They used to enroll all the ones in Utah automatically but stopped once they started letting gays in.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 2, 2017

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Mormons are beginning to start splitting away from the boy scouts.
https://www.ksl.com/?nid=1016&sid=44204644

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Mormon influence on the Boy Scouts was significant. There's been a culture war going on in Scouting for some time now.

Steven Spielberg quit his position in the Scouts back in 2001 as a protest on their anti-gay position.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I live in Florida and I can't even explain it. There are fuckups all over the US, but the ones here in Florida seem to be in a competition that the fuckups in the other states don't evenq know about to be the biggest fuckups in the United States.

It's because it takes a lot of loving up to be run out of queens.

Florida is like one eternal episode of always sunny except the gang is 20 million people. Or whatever the population is.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I used to defend Mormons from Evangelicals who liked to pretend that their beliefs were any less dumb. Then we had two Bundy standoffs, Chaffetz, and a whole bunch of morons who think nothing should ever be declared a national monument because they just love driving their 4 wheelers on top of archaeological sites too much. gently caress the Momos.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Edgar posted:

Mormons are beginning to start splitting away from the boy scouts.
https://www.ksl.com/?nid=1016&sid=44204644
Mormons started splitting away the moment they allowed the gays. Something like 20% of all scouts were Mormons, so it's a pretty serious loss.

The largest break-away group is Trail Life USA which is strictly NO HOMO AND doesn't allow Jews, Mormons, or Jehovah's Witnesses to join.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They'd better get on board with making the latter day scouts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Mormons started splitting away the moment they allowed the gays. Something like 20% of all scouts were Mormons, so it's a pretty serious loss.

The largest break-away group is Trail Life USA which is strictly NO HOMO AND doesn't allow Jews, Mormons, or Jehovah's Witnesses to join.

Their who we are website is something to behold

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gobbeldygook posted:

Poor kids. Whole lot of abuse is gonna happen but the shame of being seen as gay and the church unwilling to shame themselves. It's gonna be brutal.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
South Florida has a good mix of Caribbean and South American immigrants, New York retirees, and wealthy people.

The rest of everything south of Orlando - Tampa is rural as gently caress and mostly ranching and phosphate mining. So basically your stereotypical Redneck.

Orlando is half Theme Parks and Shopping and half trying to be a biotechnology hub. Tampa is the older, more mature, and more diverse economic base but still chock full of fuckjobs from the rust belt who got tired of the snow.

Daytona is lol beach party year round. Cape Canaveral is where they fired off the rockets and space shuttles and now they're hoping Musk remains interested in SpaceX to prevent the entire economy from collapsing even harder then it already has.

Everything north of Orlando is effectively counterfeit Deep South where some rear end in a top hat heard from his brother's cousin's barber about how inbred hicks work in Tennessee or something and thought it was a good idea to copy them.

None of these fucks want to spend more then the absolute minimum on anything approaching infrastructure (Toll Roads everywhere!) or education (IIRC the state is amongst the highest in private schools per capita) and thus we have dumb and stupid poor fucks who make lol Florida a thing. Then you have not 1 but 2 $25,000 homestead exemptions on your house which fund the public school system and... yeah.

But you can shoot someone because you were standing your ground and poo poo.

gently caress this state. SS-18's cleansing fire can't happen soon enough.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What about Key West

they seem a little freaky but in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I grew up in Tampa, I don't know what the tuition is these days but I remember it being pretty low compared to most states which allowed me to pay my way through college without taking on any loans.

I enjoyed growing up there, especially college, but I don't have any plans of ever moving back. Will always miss a good Cuban sandwich though, they just don't make them the same anywhere else.

• Locked thread