Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still can't get over those two Orioles deals. Does Duquette have photos of Angelos loving a donkey or something? How is he still meaningfully employed by a major league team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Hey is unblock.us still a viable option for getting around MLB.tv blackouts? I let my subscription expire when Netflix implemented their ban on IP spoofers, but I need to figure out a way to watch the playoffs.

MLB.tv is cracking down harder and harder on VPNs and IP spoofing. They ban accounts without warning. Probably not worth it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Random question: Is it known whether or not the Angels have injury insurance on Pujols' contract? And given that they've got four more years on his deal, is there any possibility they start subtly pressuring him to retire?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

PNC park is the best park in baseball

Camden

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

To be fair, isn't Pujols having the second-worst season of all qualified position players?

Something like that. He's cooked.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm still mad about going to game 3 in 2008 :argh:

Game 6 in 2003, for me. I've never hated a human being so much as I did Alex Gonzalez that night.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

Tanaka was before or after Jacoby Ellsbury?

Like ... two months after, I want to say? I keep thinking Ellsbury was signed as a Christmas present from Randy Levine and Hank Steinbrenner to themselves, Cashman threw a mother of all fits in response, and then they poured out a boatload of cash to Tanaka, which prompted Cashman to go nuclear for a little bit because he'd been ordered under no uncertain terms to dumpster-dive for Project 189.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Manfred has been a pretty cool dude so far.

In general, Manfred's tenure has been off to a rocky start: His obsession with pace-of-game poo poo (and implementing changes that do absolutely nothing to affect the pace of the game) is awful in terms of a commissioner openly bagging on the sport he's in charge of, and some of the stuff in the new CBA is absolutely terrible--though, admittedly, part of that's on him and part of that's on Tony Clark having no balls whatsoever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cleveland gave up gently caress all for Bruce, too. A reliever whose ERA is around 5 in A ball.

Cleveland took on his salary, too, but still, what a garbage return for Bruce.

What the gently caress, did the Wilpons get caught in another Ponzi scheme and go broke again?

bump_fn posted:

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh.

Oh no.

I'll be over here breathing into a paper bag until Contreras' MRI results come back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

please don't loving offer steve rosenbloom opinions in this thread

run for your lives, everybody, it's a snarknado

I really hate that man.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Could be that he's Eric Thames.

Yeah, that's the other thing we need to remember, I mean, there's a reason he bounced out of MLB and hosed off to Japan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeffrey Loria bought the Marlins for $158 million.

After all how much he's already pocketed from revenue sharing, the World Series run, the stadium deal (remember, the City of Miami literally pays for the taxes on Marlins Stadium's parking lots and pays the annual maintenance fees) and whatever else, he's making almost a billion dollars on top of that for being one of the biggest shitheels in baseball.

gently caress that guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Willson Contreras is now expected to last as long as six weeks (and, with a hamstring, that means probably longer), which means the Cubs are rocking Alex Avila and the Kyle Schwarber Experience behind the plate.

Who the hell is the Cubs' emergency catcher, anyway? Baez?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I don't think Joe Maddon is a good manager anymore. Like did the World Series ruin him

I swear you post some variation of "the World Series ruined Maddon" like every two weeks.

Kinsler's not wrong in any way, but good luck getting the WUA--which, remember, is headed by Cowboy Joe--to agree to any changes in umpire discipline.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ego symphonic posted:

With such a tight race Votto and Stanton are both out since their teams aren't even close to contending.

That's hard to say anymore since so many of the SABR guys now have voting credentials and the BBWAA did that cull of its active members a couple years back -- there isn't necessarily the kind of resistance to an MVP coming from a non-contending team that there used to be, and you don't see a ton of people grousing about Andre Dawson's 1987 MVP anymore, for example. There are still some sticks in the mud (I think it was either Rob Neyer or Jayson Stark who wrote a big long thinkpiece about how his definition of "most valuable" is the biggest contribution to a winning season), but if Stanton or Votto continues to break baseball for the next month and a half, they're going to get a not-insignificant chunk of first-place votes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Berzerker posted:

Jays DFA Olhman and Howell. Ohlman I didn't have many opinions about (I think I only watched 1-2 games he played) but Howell was bad as hell.

Montero and Leone back from the DL which means tonight is probably Raffy's last start as catcher for the time being, also means Montero will be starting for the series against the Cubs this weekend.

I wonder if Montero will chuck a baseball at Epstein's box in Wrigley.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In news that should surprise no one, noted human shitstain Curt Schilling says he still "absolutely" supports Trump.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just rename Yawkey Way to Williams Way or name it for Cy Young or Yastrzemski or something.

Papi Parkway. There, done.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Explosionface posted:

If nothing else, Hill earned my undying love for roof dinger. I loving love hot defense, arguably even more than offense, so that's why I really like Javy. Doubly so after he was originally panned as Starlin Castro mkII.

Yeah, Baez did a weird pivot; all through the minors, his scouting report was all bat, no glove. Then he got to the majors, and he turned into all glove, all the strikeouts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coomer wasn't particularly good at baseball, but he was better at that than he is in the radio booth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Reminder that Cowboy Joe is the president of the World Umpires Association, so this tweet is his own propaganda.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought that Joe West tweet was a parody. Jesus Christ.

Nope. World Umpires Association is the group that replaced the Major League Umpires Association after that dumbass "mass resignation" stunt that Richie Phillips pulled back in, what, 1999? 2000? I think John Hirschbeck was WUA's first president and then Cowboy Joe replaced him seven or eight years ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think bullpen ERA jumping from 3.26 in the first half to 4.75 in the second half is pretty concerning. :shrug:

And I don't think it's going to get better. Edwards is on pace to nearly double his innings total from last year and he's fading badly, Rondon is broken and Grimm's hurt. God only knows what's going to happen now that Lester's on the DL with "shoulder fatigue."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Brad Ausmus said that Ian Kinsler's undisclosed fine amount is "the biggest fine [he's] ever seen Major League Baseball give a player."

I'm trying to think of large MLB fines. Didn't Papelbon eat like $500K for flipping off a fan?

Edit: I mean, if you want to be pedantic, Alex Rodriguez's arbitrary suspension cost him $25 million...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just like that time they went on strike and got destroyed by MLB

They didn't strike. Richie Phillips was a loving moron and convinced his constituents that if they all resigned en masse, MLB would be forced to take their demands seriously.

After receiving the resignations, MLB went "lol ok" and just promoted umpires from AAA.

Poque posted:

Also, with Colón's win over the DBacks last night, he became the third active pitcher (Scherzer, in Hawk voice LACKEY) to beat all 30 teams. He has yet to win a game at Wrigley or Chase Field - not sure how many players have beaten all teams and won at every stadium.

I was looking up other players who did this, and how the gently caress has Edwin Jackson beaten 28 different teams.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Mets shut Matz down, but claim it's not due to injury, and then a few hours later say he's having elbow surgery?

What the hell?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

At what point does incompetence become malpractice and legally actionable?

I keep wondering if / when the union is going to step in. Taking a quick glance through the Basic Agreement and the Uniform Player Agreement, it would appear that there are grounds for action under Article XIII of the Basic Agreement, which states that there is to be a Safety and Health Advisory Committee composed of both players and management, and its purpose is to address emergency safety issues that arise; a meeting can be called by any member on either side of the committee. The tricky thing, though, is that the committee's role is advisory only, and actual decisions about any emergency situation are made by the commissioner's office (though the union can file a grievance if they disagree with a decision).

So that's where it gets messy. Even though they should have been stripped of ownership years ago for malfeasance, the Wilpons are still very powerful kingmakers in MLB, much in the same way Nelson Doubleday was, and they are very much part of Rob Manfred's inner circle, just as they were with Selig. Even though there's absolutely precedent for the commissioner to step in due to mismanagement of a team, I highly doubt that Manfred would be willing to make a move against the Mets, given how shaky his election was. There are still a number of very influential owners who hate him--Jerry Reinsdorf, notably--and pissing off the Wilpons could make things very, very unsteady for him, as Reinsdorf was livid over the new CBA and he's shown he's not afraid to orchestrate a putsch.

Under Marvin Miller (who was always ready to pick a fight, especially with the Mets) or even Don Fehr, the union would have probably filed a grievance last year, and they certainly would have after Familia was sent out to pitch with a goddamn blood clot in his arm after telling the training staff his hand was numb. But under the rather toothless leadership of today's MLBPA, which seems to think it's better to just play nice and hope for a few table scraps from the Lords, I doubt we'll see anything happen. Which sucks for the Mets' players. There's bad luck and then there's institutional malfeasance.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 23, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So for those who were looking for something that followed up where The Lords of the Realm left off, in terms of coverage of MLB's labor / management relations, I just finished The Game by Jon Pessah (who used to head ESPN The Magazine's investigative unit).

It's pretty good, and goes into really good detail about the resolution of the 1994 strike, but Pessah weirdly spends more than a third of the book chronicling the New York Yankees post-1994. The stuff about Selig and Fehr hating each other, their reactions to the labor struggles, Selig being a disingenuous piece of poo poo, the steroid scandals, etc., is far more interesting than endless chapters about Steinbrenner yelling at people and hating Joe Torre. But so far, it's the best book I've found talking about post-strike MLB politics.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tom Gorman posted:

There were more than a few disgusting streaks that Albert went on that I thought might have a chance.

Ichiro might have done it, but I wouldn't have put money on it. Tony Gwynn, always.

At the time, Nomar was the guy I felt had the most legitimate shot in his short prime. Even above Bonds, at some point between 1999 and 2001.

Didn't Helton carry .400 into, like, August one year?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

It's amazing how fast Nomar's career fell off a cliff. I guess it was somewhat injury related?

Almost completely injury-related. That wrist sheath injury he had completely changed his swing, and then he had I think an Achilles injury, and then his groin exploded at the beginning of his first full season with the Cubs. He was never the same after all of that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farnsworth always did have the best spinebuster in baseball.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Astros are on the road until Tuesday, when does that thing make landfall?

Around midnight tonight is the best guess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume the Astros won't be coming home on Tuesday. They were supposed to play the Rangers but Dallas has no roof and will probably get a ton of rain, so it's not like they can change venues.

I read somewhere that 25 inches of rain is looking like a conservative estimate for parts of Texas. :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

Yeah, they're gonna have to play somewhere else for at least a week.

I mean, I moved to Baltimore literally on the day Sandy hit--I landed about two hours before BWI grounded everything--and I saw the city shut down for almost a full week, so I know what it's like to be in a crazy storm, but holy poo poo, the stuff going on in Texas is obscene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

Overall I found it to be a singularly distressing a sad experience to watch, though.

The PA announcer talking to no one was the strangest thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

despite reading like a fanfic as far as I can tell.

It read like Wesley Willis lyrics or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Good Dog posted:

Angels only have 1 Cy Young as a team, and I think its regarded as one of the worst ones in terms of voting, even if everyone loves the pitcher himself.

Almost positive they have two: Chance and Bartolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paracaidas posted:

Joe Nathan, one of the top 20 relievers of all time

Wait, can this actually be tru--

*looks at career stats* :stare:

Okay, top 20 might be pushing it a bit, but Jesus, when he was good, he was really loving good.

• Locked thread