Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

who in baseball history is altuve's closest comp?

Rabbit Maranville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Surprise Surprise, the Braves are a bunch of buzzkills. L.A. Swiftness is the only one that's any good.

(La Maravilla is kind of badass I guess)

That's disappointing, considering that the Braves invented this at the team level in 1976.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

When I was 15, I had a coach start me at shortstop. I'm left handed.

I started at third one year left handed, but that was as a 9-year-old.

I was terrible, but most of the team was even worse. We won three games.

KFC sponsored us that year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

So what model bat and glove did you folks use in Little League?

I had a Doc Gooden bat and a Frank Viola glove. I think both came from Pic 'n Save and it sure wasn't easy to find gloves if you were left handed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I watched a dude pop his elbow out last week in a football game, this isn't going to be that ...

:stonk:

drat.

Sorry Bryce.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Comptroll The Forums posted:

What's the record for most ejections from a single team in one game? Yankees have two pitchers, a catcher, manager and bench coach ejected and there's still a couple innings to go.

E: I'm not watching the game but I saw the hit McCann took. AtBat makes it look like he's still in the game. Is he really? How the hell is he not being taken out for concussion check up?

Just 8 in today's game? Here's 17 in a single game.

quote:

Ejections: Kurt Bevacqua by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; Greg Booker by Steve Rippley [Throwing at batter]; Bobby Brown by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; Tim Flannery by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; Rich Gossage by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; SD Coach Jack Krol by Steve Rippley [Throwing at batter]; Craig Lefferts by Steve Rippley [Throwing at batter]; Graig Nettles by Steve Rippley [Charging
mound]; Champ Summers by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; SD Coach Ozzie Virgil by Steve Rippley [Throwing at batter]; Ed Whitson by Steve Rippley [Throwing at batter]; SD Manager Dick Williams by Steve Rippley [Throwing at batter]; Steve Bedrosian by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; Rick Mahler by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; Donnie Moore by Steve Rippley [Throwing at batter]; Gerald Perry by Steve Rippley [Fighting]; ATL Manager Joe Torre by Steve Rippley [Beanball war]

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Farnsworth briefly owned a ranch/hunting area near my hometown.

He doesn't now as there was a notice in the paper that it was foreclosed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Great fight from the 80's. Also that has to be the fattest ump ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZgw-ujI8UI

That's John McSherry.

Wikipedia posted:

As Cincinnati was the home of baseball's first professional team, the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings, the Reds traditionally played the first game of the major league season at home. On April 1, 1996, the Reds were playing the Montreal Expos, and McSherry was assigned to work home plate. Seven pitches into the game, McSherry called a timeout, spoke briefly to Reds catcher Eddie Taubensee, and walked slowly towards the Reds' dugout. Moments after signaling for the second base umpire to come in and replace him, McSherry stumbled and collapsed. Resuscitative efforts were begun on McSherry and he was taken to University Hospital in Cincinnati, but he was pronounced dead within the hour. He was 51 years old.

McSherry was also taken ill during game 7 of the 1992 NLCS. He was home plate umpire that night, too, before having to leave.

Sorry Pirates fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

We have an important announcement from Philadelphia:

The Braves will only be losing once today to the Phillies, not twice.

• Locked thread