Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Orioles are a train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grittybeard posted:

Holy crap someone find a gif of the Indians robbing a home run tonight, just saw it on the Royals broadcast.

https://twitter.com/AroundBasesPOD/status/892551606943830016

:swoon:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I wanna see it from another angle, he looks like he's like 10 feet of the ground.

https://twitter.com/sporer/status/892551345563213824

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

i desperately want hendricks to hit one out and cut a new chicks dig the longball commercial with lester

If there was ever a pitcher who I thought had even less of a chance of hitting a dinger than Bartolo, it'd be Hendricks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

Right, forgot about that. I'm still not bullish on the central making it past the DS regardless.

Nor I. Obviously the post season is a crapshoot and anybody who makes it has a shot, but I think in terms of pure talent this year no NL Central team is better than the Nats, and none even come close to matching the Dodgers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs entered the second half 5.5 games back of the division lead. If they'd fallen 8 games back, they would have become sellers.

Bullet dodged :sweatdrop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Grenkie's whole gimmick the past two years has been pitching like poo poo against the Dodgers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

“If we had fallen eight, nine out, we would have certainly been looking at considering moving some of the players who were rentals,”

Looking at considering lol.

I mean there was never going to be a full rebuild, but it sounds like there was serious consideration of essentially giving up on this season and selling off the rental guys (Davis, Arrieta, Jay, Uehara, Duensing), none of whom would have brought in top-tier prospects but would have helped replenish the farm a bit in the wake of the Quintana trade.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok so in a home game, Arodys Vizcaino got the final 2 outs while the score was 7-2. He also somehow got credited a save.

How?

Save rules posted:

A relief pitcher is awarded a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
He is not the winning pitcher; and

He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
He enters the game, regardless of the score, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or
He pitches for at least three innings.

The bases were loaded when he came in, which mean the tying run was on deck. Save rules are dumb.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Hawk Harrelson says Wrigley Field is "a joke", and that he refuses to ever go back there agian.

V: :byewhore:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I admit to having a bias for parks with an older aesthetic. Like in terms of sheer function and convenience Dodger Stadium has Wrigley beat by a mile, but I love Wrigley/Fenway/AT&T and think Dodger Stadium is super boring. :shrug:

Hawk isn't wrong that the visitors clubhouse is a shithole, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I know this isn't how OPS+ works but Mike Trout has a higher OPS+ than Albert Pujols, Yunel Escobar, and Danny Espinosa combined.

Meanwhile, Andrelton is also having a hell of a year.

It's sort of like xFIP in that it normalizes a player's OPS for park effects. 100 is a league average normalized OPS, each point in either direction from that is a percentage point above/below average.

A 216 OPS+ means Trout's normalized OPS is 116% higher than league average :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Something like that. He's cooked.

Isn't he at a point with his foot now that he need surgery and months of recovery every off season just to be able to barely limp through the next season?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I'll be happy as long as the Yankees don't make it far.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Late, but:

will_colorado posted:

V: eat poo poo, Joe West

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Players Weekend officially owns.

Corey's Brother and PTBNL are the best.

The Cubs ones are hilariously dull. Like three guys just put their name on the back like a regular jersey. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/895328862275379200

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owns.

Shame there's nobody rocking a "Cash Considerations" jersey.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Presumably they wouldn't let Kyle put "I'm loving Ready" on his jersey.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

The Cubs hat for this promo may be my favorite. Its their best alt logo and the colors give it a Chicago flag vibe.

Yeah I'm not too crazy about the jersey itself, but the hat owns.

In other Cubs news, Contreras followed up his Player of the Week honors by playing like poo poo against the Giants for three games, and then presumably pulling a hammy which will probably sideline the hottest bat in the Cubs lineup for pretty much the rest of the season. Meanwhile the four teams at the top of the NL Central are all within 3 games of each other.

Guess the Cubs should have been sellers. :sigh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Contreras out 3-4 weeks with an injured hamstring. :suicide:

Congrats to the NL Centeral Champion Brewers/Cardinals/Pirates. Enjoy the three team race.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cis autodrag posted:

So what is going on with Eric Thames. My eyes say that while his discipline has deteriorated a bit, it's not nearly enough to account for the huge decrease in hits. It does look like he's made contact with a lot of balls that have gone straight to a fielder. I'm wondering how much if that is just bad luck and how much of that is having a predictable spray chart that lets other teams to take ideal alignments on him.

My first instinct would be to say he's getting BABIP screwed (.294), but looking at his splits his BABIP has actually increased in the second half (.278 vs .340 First/Second halves). Meanwhile his K% has increased 9%, BB% is down by ~5.5%, he's hitting about 10% less flyballs, and his HR/FB% has absolutely plummeted from 28.4% to 11.8%. Again, all these stats are First vs Second halves of the season. Looks like he's smacking a lot of medium contact ground balls and line drives instead of elevating the ball, and when he does elevate the ball it's not going out.

Could be mechanical, could be the league has simply adjusted to him, could be bad luck. Probably a mix of all three.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I played all of three months of little league, mostly because I was hot garbage and when I finally got my first hit - a little dribbler off the end of the bat that died in no-man's territory down the third base line - my coach called it a "pussy hit" and said he'd mark it as an error because "I only count big-boy hits". My parents pulled me out of the league the next day after I told them. I was seven. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If the Cubs let the Cardinals into the playoffs this year I sware on me fuckin mum

At least Kershaw is injured!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Willson Contreras is now expected to last as long as six weeks (and, with a hamstring, that means probably longer), which means the Cubs are rocking Alex Avila and the Kyle Schwarber Experience behind the plate.

Who the hell is the Cubs' emergency catcher, anyway? Baez?

I highly doubt Schwarbs gets any significant time behind the plate. Avila is going to slot up to being the primary catcher, with Caratini as the backup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean at the rate they're going at, they'll have the first overall pick next year at least. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/896236333701746688

:shepface:

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsMLB/status/896413843446005760

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What is this heresy? :catstare:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Jesus Christ :rip: :stonk:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e/nm

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 14, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If anything it's more that they insisted on forcing a game in at 10 PM despite the fact that a) They were going to start a double header at 1PM the very next day, and b) the Nats are probably going to clinch by Labor Day, and the Giants are probably going to be eliminated by Labor Day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If Miggy receives anything less than a standing ovation from the crowd at Wrigley I'm going to be very salty.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Aaron Judge just tied 2012 Adam Dunn for the single-season non-pitcher record of consecutive games with a strikeout at 32. :toot:

And yet I still have to endure several articles a day about how ~special~ he is :rolleyes:

Can't wait for him to set a new record for consecutive games with a strikeout and still win MVP over Altuve and Sale!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

although I do feel silly for suggesting that his high BABIP would be sustainable because he hit the ball super hard. I think he will have a good September that clinches an MVP for him

If the Red Sox win the AL East then Sale absolutely deserves the MVP. On pace for a 9+ WAR season :eyepop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

NL MVP is gonna be a crazy train ride to the finish, could be any of like 8 guys at this point.

Harper's probably out unless he makes a quick comeback and absolutely rakes for 2-3 weeks before the season ends. Turner missed like a month and a half and is also probably out even though his numbers are absurd. So you've got what: Votto, Goldy, Rendon, Seager, Stanton? As much as I'd like to fantasize about Bryant making a late push, he's heating up far too late and doesn't have nearly enough HR's or RBI's to have a realistic shot at repeating, even if his September is monstrous.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I forgot about Arenado. If anybody is going to overcome the Coors voting bias and take it all, it'd be Arenado instead of Blackmon, I think. Both will absolutely get downballot votes at a minimum, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

50 Cent has finally been surpassed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

My favorite players are good because they are Dodgers :smug:

Why don't you like Joc?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
*Chapman throws a 103mph fastball for a swing and miss*
Pat: "Swing and a miss strike two! Ron, what pitch do you want to see here to put him away?"
*beat*
Ron: "I like that fastball."

Still my favorite radio announcer exchange.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/08/19/1742586383/1503106926182/asset_2500K.mp4

13.85 seconds from home to home, which breaks the previous record (also belonging to Buxton) of 14.05 seconds

He also had a triple where he might have scored if they sent him and the throw was a little off.

Holy poo poo that speed. :swoon:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

corn on the cop posted:

it owns that chapman sucks now

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute