Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

39 according to fangraphs - they're almost all in the Before Times. There aren't any real surprises in the more recent instances. Excluding any from 1915 or before:

code:
Year	Player		Team		BA	WAR
1968	Tom Tresh	Yankees		0.195	2.0
1968	Don Wert	Tigers		0.200	0.4
1968	Curt Blefary	Orioles		0.200	0.3
1975	Jim Sundberg	Rangers		0.199	1.4
1991	Rob Deer	Tigers		0.179	1.0
2010	Mark Reynolds	Diamondbacks	0.198	1.7
2010	Carlos Pena	Rays		0.196	1.0
2012	Carlos Pena	Rays		0.197	0.7
2013	Dan Uggla	Braves		0.179	0.5
2014	Chris Davis	Orioles		0.196	0.8
2017*	Kyle Schwarber	Cubs		0.189	0.6
Some guy named Frank Fennelly had 3.3 WAR in 1888 with a 0.200 BA and an OPS of .578, apparently he was some kind of defensive wizard.

e: Nobody can convince me that Curt Blefary wasn't invented by elentar's neural network

BR disagrees with a few of these (Blefary, Uggla and Schwarber) but has Reynolds doing it in 2014 also.

Also no surprise that there were 3 to do it in 1968, replacement level was a lot lower that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
A mediocre reliever would be a step up for the Mets.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Senf posted:

Uhhhhh, he's a really loving good defender, though?

Literally every defensive metric I can find says he's been below-average at best for the past two years.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

He talks about the rarity of immaculate innings but haven't there been like 16 this year?

7 this year, but they're getting more common as strikeouts keep climbing. 44% of them have been since 2000.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

just your standard 5-4-3 double play

Did the infield fly rule get taken out while I wasn't paying attention?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I would buy so many of these if I had infinite money. "Corey's Brother" is brilliant. Trout's should definitely be "Meteor" though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ego symphonic posted:

It's in the league lineup but it just says "Big Kid". I've never been so disappointed.

Sean Brycer.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mets choices (they haven't been tweeted yet so I can't embed them).

Good:

Thor (Syndergaard)
La Potencia (Céspedes)
Brown Bear (Smoker)
G-Man (Gsellman)
Bruuuce (Bruce)

Dull:

Jake (deGrom)
Harv (Harvey)
Walkie (Walker)

Odd:

Reno (Matz)
Gordo (Blevins)

Awful:

T-Butta (Rivera)
D-Dub (Wright :wtc:)

Goodpancakes posted:

What is belts hilarious well known nickname?

Baby Giraffe.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Surprise Surprise, the Braves are a bunch of buzzkills. L.A. Swiftness is the only one that's any good.

(La Maravilla is kind of badass I guess)

Dickey named his bats after fictional/mythological swords and he can't come up with something else to go on his jersey? loving weak.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

neil walker's a brewer

Daddy's home.

(if home is in Milwaukee)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

how did none of those teams figure out he could hit, his nickname is "bats"

At that point he couldn't. He OPSed .512 in 2004.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Explosionface posted:

Fuckin' Javy. How can anyone not like him?

Because all his web gems don't change the fact that he's an offensively not-very-good and defensively good-but-not-great player who for some reason Cubs posters gets treated as the second coming of Jackie Robinson around here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

If an .808 OPS from a middle infielder is not very good then there are a ton of lovely middle infielders.

He's 15th in wOBA+ and and 14th in wRC+ among middle infielders. Oh no, my mistake, that's among 2nd basemen. Among middle infielders he's 24th and 23rd respectively.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sandy's not done well with communication, both with the team and the media, but his roster construction's pretty good and he's made some good signings/trades (before this season). Don't forget everyone was picking the Mets to get one of the wild cards before the season started and all of the starters got hurt and/or became poo poo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

He's a backup catcher, it's not exactly a headline move.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Miz Kriss posted:

Considering it's the second Mets player to be claimed in two days, I thought it was a bit odd

Nearly every team puts at least 10 players on waivers, it's really not that unusual for two to be claimed close together like this.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

The Mets shut Matz down, but claim it's not due to injury, and then a few hours later say he's having elbow surgery?

What the hell?

It's some sort of nerve discomfort apparently - so likely pitching related but not really an "injury" as such.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I've been thinking about something for a while. I've thought for years we wouldn't see anyone hit .400 again. Nobody can maintain the level needed against modern pitching to finish up there.

Then, watching Judge in the derby. Seeing how he was swinging in round three just like he did in the first round. He looked kind of like he was at the driving range. He's a huge, strong dude but people get bigger all the time and there are going to be other really big, strong dudes showing up. Now imagine a guy Judge's size with a great eye for the zone and great discipline. A guy who makes you throw strikes. Joey Votto in Judge's body. And he stays healthy.

.400, yes or no?

Nope.

The thing with Judge is that he's always going to strike out a lot. Plate discipline can cut down on that by some but when you're swinging that hard, it's much more difficult to adjust to a pitch with late movement, or to lay off one that breaks out of the zone.

Timby posted:

Didn't Helton carry .400 into, like, August one year?

In 2000 he was only over .400 until June 10th, but he was at .393 on September 1st.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 23, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
At least this one can't be blamed on the medical staff (until they recommend he do some "shoulder strength" exercises which end up tearing his rotator cuff).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

shadok posted:

Some of these make my eyes water, in a modern context. Like, is baseball ever going to see another 21-inning complete game by a pitcher? Seems unlikely.

Not if the manager wants to keep his job into the next morning.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sanchez was set up right over the plate so if it was accidental Betances missed his spot by a long way. Given that and the timing I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

New Concept Hole posted:

Missing your target by 3 feet and hitting someone in the helmet instead should incur harsher penalties than throwing behind a guy.

There's "intentionally wild" and then there's straight up reckless. If Betances really can't control his fastball to the point he can bean a guy while trying to throw a strike then he probably shouldn't be in MLB.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My favorite part of bench-clearing brawls is watching relief pitchers sprint 350 feet from the bullpen in an attempt to get in on the action before it's broken up.

And the bullpen catcher waddling in with his pads on.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I would eat everything on that plate (except the pork rinds) without a second thought.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I think Sanchez should have got more for his cheap shots, and I'm also surprised Wilson got a suspension while Betances didn't (though he did basically admit to doing it on purpose after the game, which is a big no-no).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/901157425058910210

Wow, best case scenario is he barely makes it back in time for Spring Training? Not good

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. He was having a really great season too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I love that 3 of the Mets' guys are no longer on the team.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comptroll The Forums posted:

If a runner is standing on base and touches the ball, it's not an out, right? Has a runner ever caught an errant ball on a pickoff throw? And if a runner did, could the runner than whip the ball into foul territory and take off running, or is it a dead play at that point?

Rule 5.09(b)(3) says a runner is out if he "intentionally interferes with a thrown ball".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Uh excuse me but I have reliable sources in this very thread that have informed me Danny Duffy is the best left-handed pitcher in baseball (when he's on).

Apparently that quote got cut in half, the original was "...when he's on a bender".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

The Cardinals have only ever had two pitchers win the CY. Without looking, can you name them?

Gibson's got to be one, blanking on the other though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ah, I had him on my mental list of "guys who keep coming close but have never won one" along with Wainwright.

• Locked thread