Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

So I'm plugging away at LS4 and doing the stealth mission in ep. 3.

I do all the dirty work and lay down the last charge, teleport away and get instantly kicked from the mission. Apparently I was too far in to the red zone.
It would be nice if those kill borders gave you 10 seconds to return no matter what.

I was doing something in the new LS where i wanted to reset and i had to walk for ages through the red before it kicked me. Maybe they are different in each map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010

Patch Notes posted:

Shade Skills: These have been changed back to triggering at both the necromancer's location and their shade locations with each use.

I burned out of this game a while ago and changing the shade skills how they did was the nail in the coffin for my burnout. This, more than anything else, makes me interested in jumping back in to roll with my Heal Scourge again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a tasty spot to idle with Engineer turrets?

I saw a cluster of people doing it in a somewhat remote area that spawned 3 vets every two minutes or so.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Every time I come back to this game I get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to do and end up not logging in anymore. Trying to stick with my elementalist but... christ

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

please knock Mom! posted:

Every time I come back to this game I get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to do and end up not logging in anymore. Trying to stick with my elementalist but... christ

I feel the same way, so I’ve started just chunking it out. One day I maxed my first elite spec, the next I did some map completion. Eventually I’ll get into finishing personal stories/LW/Expansions (beyond gliders/mounts) but right now I just don’t have the time, so I’m just making my own fun.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I like it for basically the SAME reason - you have a ton of different options that all meaningfully move you towards things you want.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I started playing gw2 about a month ago, working my way through living world season 4 atm. I don't have much to say really, other than I'm happy there is a goon community here.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Balance update out. Didn't expect it so soon, even with how little it covered, lol.

Wasn't said in the notes, but apparently down-state Lava Font got removed completely. RIP my rotation.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I thought necro was the only one with a down state dps rotation. lol

2 mult. --- just stay in downed state as necro and win.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Balance update out. Didn't expect it so soon, even with how little it covered, lol.

Wasn't said in the notes, but apparently down-state Lava Font got removed completely. RIP my rotation.

It's definitely gone. RIP me surviving in PvE. At least tempest got buffed.

Power chrono is a little crazy.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

I felt like this but managed to overcome it. As others in the thread advised, I unlocked the raptor. Then I went for map completion in Dry Tops, Silverwastes and then into the HoT maps where I did them alongside the story. Had the aim of acquiring ascended equipment so started with fractals to get my trinkets done (along with guild commendations), HoT for the free ascended weapon, gathering crafting mats and money to afford to level up to 500 tailoring, and then I managed to get myself back in shape of pvp since it's actually a relatively short grind to get an ascended weapon from that. I'm loving it

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I have the same thing happen to me as a warrior main. Every once in a month I log in, say hi to GOON, but then I get the list of things to do and now just log off.

Right now I know for sure im stuck on a mission in HOT. Something about becoming a rabbit and commanding pact troops to fight for me. I noticed alot of the HoT and living story stuff after it just tests my patience.

Path of fire was fantastic, but even stuff like the griffon drained me, took me two years of on an off playtime to get it, and I get the same feeling on the latest living story chapter.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Right now I know for sure im stuck on a mission in HOT. Something about becoming a rabbit and commanding pact troops to fight for me. I noticed alot of the HoT and living story stuff after it just tests my patience.

That was such a pain in the rear end the first time I did it, but a few weeks ago I did it for the second time. When you don't try and get the achievement for killing everything yourself it is a hell of a lot easier. Rez a couple of the soldiers without aggroing any of the wolves, and the rest of the mission starts snowballing. Once you have 2 soldiers you can kill 1 wolf without losing any of them, and once you get 4 soldiers you can take on two at once.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The pacing for a lot of the aurene ones are painful but that mission sucks extra rear end. It's the last achieve I've needed for that chapter's mastery point/ascended trinket for the past 4 years and will probably stay that way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone datamined the last update and found references to a new player guide.

Looks like we may have a comprehensive tutorial for once.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Someone datamined the last update and found references to a new player guide.

Looks like we may have a comprehensive tutorial for once.

Doesn't the message just direct them to a webpage? lol

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding ANet (re: Bobby Stein made a post in Reddit saying they're focused on the Living story and xpac mostly now) not doing raids anymore: I have never been interested in them and haven't done it since I got pretty burnt out of serious raiding in LoTRO. I lost my interest in Fractals too when they started to turn into mini-raids with elaborate mechanics and requirements. I really liked Dungeons and I was sad to see them completely abandon those.

But I think they dropped the ball by not doing some kind of raid story/solo run option since the raids contain so much story and lore. Feels like they could've had a lot more people experience that content in some way.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 10, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I guess my chief complaint with the game is that they throw too much at the wall and not a lot sticks.

Thankfully a lot of zones have a unique gimmick but outside of general PVE, it's kind of a mess.

Personally I wish they stuck with more interconnected events and not so much with metas. Maybe it'd be too much work but having one event influence an adjacent one (to change enemy types, reinforcements or whatever) instead of a giant singular chain is more interesting to me.

I've done the meta in Kumorn (??) a few times and it's exactly the same thing every time.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 10, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Regarding not doing raids anymore: I have never been interested in them and haven't done it since I got pretty burnt out of serious raiding in LoTRO. I lost my interest in Fractals too when they started to turn into mini-raids with elaborate mechanics and requirements. I really liked Dungeons and I was sad to see them completely abandon those.

Doing daily dungeons pre-HoT was probably my favorite part of this game. They weren't complete pushover content with poo poo rewards like they are now but they weren't too difficult either. You could take whoever wanted to come along without worrying about AR or whether people were skilled/experienced enough. Just grab whoever is in guild chat. Obviously having good players made things way smoother but anyone could eventually get through them after a lot of trouble, and 3 people who knew what they were doing could carry anybody else with ease.

I also loved that they each had weapon skins + 3 armor types that you could acquire with a reasonable amount of work, as opposed to slapping all of that poo poo on the gem store (bonus points when it's RNG garbage) or adding in a single set acquired through gameplay once every thousand years that you probably need to spend just as long unlocking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely miss dungeons and I don't think strike missions + fractals really fill that niche at all.

Bring back dungeons ANet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Regarding ANet (re: Bobby Stein made a post in Reddit saying they're focused on the Living story and xpac mostly now) not doing raids anymore: I have never been interested in them and haven't done it since I got pretty burnt out of serious raiding in LoTRO. I lost my interest in Fractals too when they started to turn into mini-raids with elaborate mechanics and requirements. I really liked Dungeons and I was sad to see them completely abandon those.

But I think they dropped the ball by not doing some kind of raid story/solo run option since the raids contain so much story and lore. Feels like they could've had a lot more people experience that content in some way.

I recognize that a number of people here and some pals of mine love raiding in GW2. I, however, hate it, and I always feel peeved and shut out of the stories and and lore present in raids. I am so very glad they're not going to focus on them anymore at all, this is fantastic news to me.

Vargs posted:

Doing daily dungeons pre-HoT was probably my favorite part of this game. They weren't complete pushover content with poo poo rewards like they are now but they weren't too difficult either. You could take whoever wanted to come along without worrying about AR or whether people were skilled/experienced enough. Just grab whoever is in guild chat. Obviously having good players made things way smoother but anyone could eventually get through them after a lot of trouble, and 3 people who knew what they were doing could carry anybody else with ease.

I also loved that they each had weapon skins + 3 armor types that you could acquire with a reasonable amount of work, as opposed to slapping all of that poo poo on the gem store (bonus points when it's RNG garbage) or adding in a single set acquired through gameplay once every thousand years that you probably need to spend just as long unlocking.

I also agree hard with this. I miss dungeons so much, just casual enjoyable group content with some cool skins and poo poo. That's all I want out of GW2. I'm too old for tryhard content. I just want to look pretty and hang out in a fantasy world with friends.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I haven't played this in a very long time, but sometimes i feel a little nostalgic and wonder how GW2 is doing.

So, how's GW2 these days? Heard there's a whole new expansion being developed?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I miss porting on top of that ledge in Twilight Arbor and shooting at the tree that couldn't attack back.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 10, 2020

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I just wish they'd keep focusing on 5-man content over 10-man, that alone killed most of my excitement for strike missions.
I've finally got enough of my friends to play (two of them are midway through leveling to 80, another few have 80s that they're gearing up and going through expansions with) that we can consider raiding in the future, but I'm really not looking forward to trying to line up ten different schedules.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, I cba with ten man stuff. I'd like to try it, but god, effort.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
it's a lot easier to find a group than you think as long as you don't work crazy Arus hours and live in a fake Arus time zone

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Technically I would like ~challenging group content~ but even if I could be bothered to find a group (it's definitely harder in European time zones on NA servers) I wouldn't raid because GW2 is about a decade late with this sort of content for me (I did plenty of them back in WoW) and I had the exact same "problem" in FF14.

So yeah, death to story progression in raids :v:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I'm still mad they hid Saul D'loving Alessio behind a raid

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Illuyankas posted:

I'm still mad they hid Saul D'loving Alessio behind a raid

what are you doing? you'll let him out!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

RottenK posted:

I haven't played this in a very long time, but sometimes i feel a little nostalgic and wonder how GW2 is doing.

So, how's GW2 these days? Heard there's a whole new expansion being developed?

Its a good game, and is still going strong.

There is, but all we know is that it exists.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Played thus game the first year it came out, came back and having fun with a new profession and thought about buying the expansion bundle.

Then I find out on top of that $30, you need to spend $50 on top of that for access to all the zones, maps, etc. Is that right?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Fenarisk posted:

Played thus game the first year it came out, came back and having fun with a new profession and thought about buying the expansion bundle.

Then I find out on top of that $30, you need to spend $50 on top of that for access to all the zones, maps, etc. Is that right?

If you mean the living story episodes that take place between expansions, they're not part of the core campaign or either of the expansion campaigns. You'll be able to play the expansion campaigns just fine if you buy the expansion bundle.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

If you mean the living story episodes that take place between expansions, they're not part of the core campaign or either of the expansion campaigns. You'll be able to play the expansion campaigns just fine if you buy the expansion bundle.

Ah ok, thanks. I was reading a thread elsewhere that said some of the main maps and dungeons that people group on, or areas with the gear needed for endgame, are locked behind living story maps.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Fenarisk posted:

Ah ok, thanks. I was reading a thread elsewhere that said some of the main maps and dungeons that people group on, or areas with the gear needed for endgame, are locked behind living story maps.

You get different avenues for ascended gear from some LS maps and some legendary trinkets are only available from collections from LS maps, but they aren't required for "endgame" (by which I assume you mean raiding or T4 fractals). Legendary gear isn't any more powerful than ascended gear.

The real endgame is putting your character in snazzy outfits and luring creepers into pubbies during the Teq world boss encounter.

Some folks doing strike missions, some of which you'll get access to for free if you just log in to the game (which unlocks the current LS episode). The 2-3 episodes prior to the current one also have strike missions; I don't know what it would cost to unlock them (or if you even can until the current LS is finished), but it's nowhere near $50.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 12, 2020

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I think LS3 and 4 each cost around 1000 gems, so $20 overall. But they periodically go on sale for half that, and you don't need need them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Unless you care at all about the story, in which case yes you do absolutely need them.

Also most of the Living World maps are cool! Except for Bitterfrost gently caress Bitterfrost

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I just got LS4 for 640 gems, there’s a bundle in account upgrades.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I just got LS4 for 640 gems, there’s a bundle in account upgrades.

Oh neat, is it on sale atm or is that just the price?

Bear in mind you eventually get the skyscale with that.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

tarbrush posted:

Oh neat, is it on sale atm or is that just the price?

Bear in mind you eventually get the skyscale with that.

It is not currently on discount but I would expect it to go on sale in the big anniversary sale next month. Here is a link to last year’s: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store/Anniversary_Sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

ghost story posted:

It is not currently on discount but I would expect it to go on sale in the big anniversary sale next month. Here is a link to last year’s: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store/Anniversary_Sales

Oh this rules looks like I came back at a good time, thanks!