Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's important for returning players to comb through their inventory and consume what they can.

ANet converted a lot of stuff to currencies so they won't clutter your inventory anymore.

Problem is that in some cases they have to be manually consumed to be moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ugh, I can't stand waiting until they start revealing actual EoD content.

Let's take a moment to reminisce about the times from before we had any expansion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VKU66iTjs&t=78s

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

gandlethorpe posted:

Let's take a moment to reminisce about the times from before we had any expansion

This is always the first thing I think of when people start talking about the past, but I'm not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKueZu03eGE

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am still having tons of fun, just wandering around like a twat not knowing what the hell is going on.
I am an engineer who apparently shits out first aid kits and mines when I shoot, hell yeah!
I started the new expansion content, I think my next aim is getting a mount, but then I got confused so went to do my personal story, there's just so much to do, and man the amount of love that went into this game's environments is staggering, Black Citadel is just incredible

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm glad you're having fun with this game instead of being mad at Clown Emporium Games, pgabz :)

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm looking for a reason to play something else than revenant for a change. Is there a class that is particularly fun (or good) in fractals/strikemissions?

Edit: I'm lazy, so rotations with 50 steps are out :) (looking at you engineer)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

peter gabriel posted:

I am still having tons of fun, just wandering around like a twat not knowing what the hell is going on.
I am an engineer who apparently shits out first aid kits and mines when I shoot, hell yeah!
I started the new expansion content, I think my next aim is getting a mount, but then I got confused so went to do my personal story, there's just so much to do, and man the amount of love that went into this game's environments is staggering, Black Citadel is just incredible

And it's an actual game!

Yeah with Arenanet, one thing that is noticeable is that they definitely pay attention to their art team when they apply it to their maps and models, because it is amazingly similar.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nektu posted:

I'm looking for a reason to play something else than revenant for a change. Is there a class that is particularly fun (or good) in fractals/strikemissions?

Edit: I'm lazy, so rotations with 50 steps are out :) (looking at you engineer)

Soulbeast or the various flavors of warrior?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Icebrood maps are really cool and probably some of my favourites so far

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Coming back after a year and half away I missed logging in to get the Icebrood maps, are they worth the purchase? Particularly amazing, easy or special map rewards, some other reason?

Also wasn't there a guild or global chat channel devoted to meta event runners? I seem to remember one from before but if it's a guild I was kicked or don't have the chat channel still saved.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orcane posted:

I'm glad you're having fun with this game instead of being mad at Clown Emporium Games, pgabz :)

It's a nice change of pace :v:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Inzombiac posted:

It's important for returning players to comb through their inventory and consume what they can.

ANet converted a lot of stuff to currencies so they won't clutter your inventory anymore.

Problem is that in some cases they have to be manually consumed to be moved.

Yeah I logged in for the first time in years and was greeted by the horrible sight of my main's inventory. Still have no idea wtf half of it is but I remembered that GS2 skill on reaper is the win button and ran around mashing that for awhile. Malchors leap was super buggy though, respawns were happening so often it was breaking half the events, is this normal levels of bugginess or weird levels of bugginess?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Doesn't really get better even if you keep playing.

I have no idea what half of those thing are or why I put them there...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Put those in a pages in a portal tome, jeez

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Yeah I logged in for the first time in years and was greeted by the horrible sight of my main's inventory. Still have no idea wtf half of it is but I remembered that GS2 skill on reaper is the win button and ran around mashing that for awhile. Malchors leap was super buggy though, respawns were happening so often it was breaking half the events, is this normal levels of bugginess or weird levels of bugginess?

That's an Orr-level of bugginess. Pretty much everywhere else is better.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

nessin posted:

Coming back after a year and half away I missed logging in to get the Icebrood maps, are they worth the purchase? Particularly amazing, easy or special map rewards, some other reason?

The prologue is a nice change of pace and its metal concert is an amazing meta event. However, that episode is shortish and does not really have replay value.

Whisper in the dark/shadow in the ice are on the same map (Bajora Marches). They drop a LOT of map currency that can be exchanged for all the living world season 4 map currencies. Should you ever find yourself in need of grinding those, then these episodes are very useful.
The maps are ok, it contains a craftable weapon skins and shadow in the ice has a decend boss meta.

Then there is visions of the past, eh, whatever.

No Quarter and Jormag rising play on the same map again (Drizzlewood coast) and have an enormous meta that drops shitloads of all the basic crafting materials. Very useful if you like money or crafting expensive things.
It also allows you to buy a very good CC Bar breaker skill with its map currency. You can buy and use that everywhere in PvE, and it is very cheap and very powerful. Absolutely recommended.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 22, 2020

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Hello Sailor posted:

Soulbeast or the various flavors of warrior?

I dusted off my ranger, made her pretty and gave it a go with some metabattle build. Its and interesting change of pace and produces satisfyingly large numbers when you burst.

It only has one healing skill however, wtf :v:
Revenant spoiled me.

Ill try out the warrior too. What is the easiest class to play in high level fractals (aka a build that doesnt always die because im bad)? I bet its some kind of necro, isnt it?

vvv Yea, sounds likely

Nektu fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 22, 2020

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nektu posted:

I dusted off my ranger, made her pretty and gave it a go with some metabattle build. Its and interesting change of pace and produces satisfyingly large numbers when you burst.

Revenant spoiled me.

Ill try out the warrior too. What is the easiest class to play in high level fractals (aka a build that doesnt always die because im bad)? I bet its some kind of necro, isnt it?

Glass cannon condi Weaver

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Nektu posted:

Revenant spoiled me.

vvv Yea, sounds likely

Power Reaper or BS

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

Doesn't really get better even if you keep playing.

I have no idea what half of those thing are or why I put them there...

kinda looks like mine except i have more books that probably have no use

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I kinda want to start playing this again, but I'm having trouble sticking to a profession. It's between Guardian (Dragonhunter) and Thief (Daredevil) mostly, but I heard both are kind of squishy. It probably won't matter too much though as I mostly just want to mess around through the world, doing open world objective stuff. I don't really want to play anything with a complex "rotation" or something requiring a lot of button real estate though (like Engineer or Elementalist when I tried those way back).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Guardian is not squishy.

Necro remains my favourite class for simple skill mix and general open world resilience

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I've been enjoying a variant on the trailblazer mace/shield condi rev, where I just alternate between the dwarf and demon -6 upkeep skills when energy runs out instead of trying to learn how to manage the dragon upkeep skills.

P/P unload deadeye is squishy, but you heal so fast from the heal-on-crit trait that it doesn't matter.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

I'll probably go with Thief. Staff Daredevil looks really fun, and getting there to unlock it with dual pistols also looks fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

tarbrush posted:

Guardian is not squishy.

Necro remains my favourite class for simple skill mix and general open world resilience

Necro is so much fun that I have a really hard time playing anything else.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Thief is real fun if you go for sweet sweet backstab damage. For orr type content though you'll probably want to do condi healing just to not die all the time.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Thief is my most played but i've been stuck on condi for a long time now. might be time to mix it up

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Got out my necro tonight for the first time in years to try reaper. drat it's powerful. Also my name is Dead Arus and I look good

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

necro good because big hp to survive stupid oneshots and big damage in wide area to trivially win game

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Necro is my main, who turned 8 today too.

Ive done stupid poo poo on my necro and walked away that i cant even get my other toons into. they just die.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

I second guessed myself and went with Guardian. Seems to be working fine for me currently, but then again, the open world content is pretty easy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm doing old story poo poo and oh god I miss the old lions arch so much :smith:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm doing old story poo poo and oh god I miss the old lions arch so much :smith:

Ouch that does bring back memories

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wanna say the Whispers missions is the one with the biggest field exploration of old lion's arch? It was weird seeing the old map again

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I wanna say the Whispers missions is the one with the biggest field exploration of old lion's arch? It was weird seeing the old map again

Those are the quests I was doing, good call!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I got my account blocked suddenly. I've never used bots, the few gems I bought I got directly from arenanet, I was never abusive in the chat, or anything. Turns out they blocked my account since I happened to access the game through a VPN even though it's not actually against the rules support told me. Yeah, I know there is a "we can ban any account for any reason without warning" clause, but still, I do feel annoyed. Anyway, my account is unblocked now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fish and chips and dip posted:

I got my account blocked suddenly. I've never used bots, the few gems I bought I got directly from arenanet, I was never abusive in the chat, or anything. Turns out they blocked my account since I happened to access the game through a VPN even though it's not actually against the rules support told me. Yeah, I know there is a "we can ban any account for any reason without warning" clause, but still, I do feel annoyed. Anyway, my account is unblocked now.

That's completely reasonable for Anet to do. It's a huge red flag and an indicator of compromise when an account suddenly logs in from a potentially foreign IP outside the normal range it logs in from. I block accounts that do that at work every day, as a security janitor. This isn't the fault of Anet whatsoever, and you're clearly not banned and unblocked already.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's completely reasonable for Anet to do. It's a huge red flag and an indicator of compromise when an account suddenly logs in from a potentially foreign IP outside the normal range it logs in from. I block accounts that do that at work every day, as a security janitor. This isn't the fault of Anet whatsoever, and you're clearly not banned and unblocked already.

they also partnered up with GeForce Now and then banned people who used it for the same reason

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I got my Skyscale today and instantly hit the wall I hit every time I come back to play GW2. The game is fun when I have a clear target I feel is worth pursuing but now the only thing I'd want to pursue is content that requires actual structure and thought into playing a character, and GW2 makes it so drat difficult to actually do that. For example, want to try different builds? If it's anything more than a power build, go farming for hours because there isn't a simple way to get condi gear that can give you a representative sample of the class as you'd play it in a Fractal/Raid/WvW/whatever unless it's one of the few specific builds that doesn't need expertise. Say you do that but then think it'd be cool to try a support build. Do the farm all over again so you can get something like Minstrel's stats because there isn't an easy subpar alternative to concentration. Even if your smart and get trinkets with the stats you need and use a close enough alternative you can buy from the trading post, that's still three to four sets of trinkets you need to farm up. Which isn't hard, but is a significant amount of time just to be able to even make a real try at a build. When I came back I thought the new templates would be amazing but they don't help much when you don't find it fun spending all the time needed just to work out if you'll enjoy playing a second build on a character.

And there is almost no feedback on how well you're performing in game. It basically comes down to did the thing die quick enough for me or did everyone live through it? If you were healing/supporting and they lived, did you actually matter or was it just good play/luck from everyone else? Kinda hard to tell. Did the thing die quickly enough? Maybe it felt that way, but hard to tell and difficult to tell what to tweak to make it better unless you sit in front of a dummy with ArcDPS running. Some builds have a clear heavy hitting combo or even individual skill that makes it clearer but good luck if it's a ramp up or something that requires more of a rotation to setup.

And just because I'm getting it out there, this is purely subjective but even if I could get over the hurdle above I still can't actually find a class I truly enjoy playing. Engineer is super great on paper but tedious as hell to actually play, Scrapper is actually tolerable but despite all the creative utility skills the moment to moment combat is repetitive to the point where it's barely a step above something like Unload Daredevil. Mesmer is incredibly fun outside of combat but I can't stand the illusion mechanic in combat. Elementalist is just amazing all around until you actually need it's flexibility, if you're ever at a point where your in challenging content that requires you to quickly adapt using the attunements it takes too long to actually get to the skill you need that the challenge is now in playing the class properly and not engaging with the game (especially for Weaver). The game just isn't built to support needing to cycle through a couple cooldowns just in between taking the actual actions you need. About the only class I can truly enjoy doing just about anything with is Revenant but it always feels like I'd have more fun playing one of the others I mentioned if they just didn't have their own basic problems to overcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It honestly sounds like GW2 just isn't the game for you. Sorry if that's harsh, but what you describe as a problem is actually a plus to others like me - such as "no feedback on performance" in the game.

And I think this is your core problem actually, before the others:

nessin posted:

I still can't actually find a class I truly enjoy playing.