Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

LordAdakos posted:

It's my strongly held belief (possibly a wrong and bad belief) that anet should go through and equalize the autoattacks for every single weapon/summon/kit so it all does around 8k damage at lvl 70 with no buffs.

This way they aren't completely gutting playstyles or options.

Ranged weapons can take a 5-10% damage penalty, CC heavy weapons can do the same.

Anything outside of autoattacks is considered bonus damage or utility skills.

There we go. I fixed every single class. Hire me, Anet, you cowards.

Equalizing auto attack damage unfortunately only helps so much. There's also the absolutely stupidly good weapon-specific traits like Axe Mastery that just add Much Damage, off-hand balance is its own entire clusterfuck, and for most good weapons their other buttons are also contributing a lot of damage.

There's also weapons that would be absolutely butchered by such a change - for example, Guardian Hammer is already in a bad spot but has a much higher than average auto-attack chain. Equalizing auto-attack damage would absolutely delete that weapon. Revenants would be in a weird spot for example because of how Impossible Odds works. Power Daredevil would suffer immensely since so much of its damage comes from its exceptionally potent auto-attacks - the list goes on. The damage-oriented Engineer Kits would be in a really weird spot if you didn't want to camp them because now you're giving up a entire utility slot for four below-average buttons.

Those are just examples off the top of my head - basically there's too many moving parts that would need to be adjusted if they standardized auto-attack damage for that to really work. Unfortunately that means rebalancing weapons is in turn a lot of work. Anet absolutely should've gotten to buffing numerous weapons and utility skills in PvE well before now even then, but better later than never I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Meeko posted:

There's also weapons that would be absolutely butchered by such a change - for example, Guardian Hammer is already in a bad spot but has a much higher than average auto-attack chain. Equalizing auto-attack damage would absolutely delete that weapon.

Would anyone notice? :v:

The only hammer build I've ever seen is exactly one core guardian sPvP build, and it really was just viable.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

I still can't decide whether to craft it or not.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Neutron posted:

I still can't decide whether to craft it or not.

Heartily recommend. You can get the LIs just doing the fun and easy raids and the four eod strikes, and swapping stats and runes is lovely

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Deformed Church posted:

Would anyone notice? :v:

The only hammer build I've ever seen is exactly one core guardian sPvP build, and it really was just viable.

I bring hammer/bow dragonhunter to Teq just for all the knockback and tagging

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I just started playing again and came here to post about warrior, particularly bladesworn, though some of these points were made on the last page.

• Can't sheathe, dye, or glamour the gunsaber in a game that's all about glamour?
  • Why are gunsaber attacks so weak despite feeling so impactful (EXPLOSIONS)? I know they have multiple ammo, so attack power needs toned down, but that just makes it feel spammy instead. Axe is way stronger.
  • One Aegis and one stab should be given on entering dragon trigger since we're rooted in place (GS2 all over).

Despite all this, the loop of "build flow --> land huge crit" is really fun and something warrior definitely needed. I hated the spec in all Berserkers gear, but it's enjoyable with Knights gear and Captains accessories. I don't feel the lack of ferocity since most DPS is from the dragon trigger and DT hits so hard. My sustain is high enough to solo any HoT HP so far, and that's worth the ferocity tradeoff for me.

Anyway, that's my opinion from someone who hasn't plated for 4 years.

Edit: Will upcoming quickness changes for warrior benefit bladesworn as much as other specs? I guess the gunsaber actions will come out a little faster (theyre already pretty quick)? Will dragon trigger ammo build up faster? That'd be amazing, though my guess is that it's a fixed speed.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 21, 2022

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Quickness is solely for how fast abilities come out. This is almost certainly aimed at Solar's stated goal: giving people ways to play the classes they like and not having to swap to something else.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm pretty sure quickness makes you build ammo faster already. Being able to self apply it more reliably could be interesting, but every hybrid build trades off DPS anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Was thinking about getting back into this game, but apparently my account is "blocked for security purposes". I've sent off an email to support, but does anyone how likely it is Arena will be able to do anything for me? Do they have a good track record helping people unblock accounts, or will they just tell me to go pound sand? I still had my serial number on hand, so that's proof of purchase, but damned if I can remember what my display name was.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was thinking about getting back into this game, but apparently my account is "blocked for security purposes". I've sent off an email to support, but does anyone how likely it is Arena will be able to do anything for me? Do they have a good track record helping people unblock accounts, or will they just tell me to go pound sand? I still had my serial number on hand, so that's proof of purchase, but damned if I can remember what my display name was.

I've been blocked a few times due to hacks during long periods of absences and I usually get unblocked within a day or two of making a ticket.

I also got blocked because I was playing with my VPN on once and I also got unblocked within a day or two.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, they fixed it right quick, so I'm back in.

And my Display Name turned out to be DickDestruction. It... it was a simpler time back then. (says the man who's current XBox username is Drilldo Gaggins).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, wow, the final map meta is just awful.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah 2 hours of events

30 mins of set up

20mins of rng where too many side changes can completely gently caress over 50 people regardless of dps.

(and the clock ticking down while you cant do any damage..... multiple times)

It isnt fun

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, they fixed it right quick, so I'm back in.

And my Display Name turned out to be DickDestruction. It... it was a simpler time back then. (says the man who's current XBox username is Drilldo Gaggins).

you can ask them to change it if you want, or alternatively you could not do that

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, wow, the final map meta is just awful.

what do you mean you don't want to spend two hours shackled to a map doing lovely 'prep' events before reaching the final boss and losing to it (which forfeits all rewards since they're backloaded) because you have zero control over pug player performance which means you've just wasted the last two hours????????????????????????????????????

let me post eighteen different youtube videos from various streamers who make their living playing a dead mmo telling you how wrong you are for failing this meta

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

where the red fern gropes posted:

you can ask them to change it if you want, or alternatively you could not do that

Nah, I'm keeping it. People need to know when Richard B. Destruction is comin'.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

what do you mean you don't want to spend two hours shackled to a map doing lovely 'prep' events before reaching the final boss and losing to it (which forfeits all rewards since they're backloaded) because you have zero control over pug player performance which means you've just wasted the last two hours????????????????????????????????????

I don't understand why they're so opposed to copying Drizzlewood or Silverwastes when it comes to meta rewards.

You have a model that works and is popular with players. Wouldn't want a repeat of that...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MajorBonnet posted:

I don't understand why they're so opposed to copying Drizzlewood or Silverwastes when it comes to meta rewards.

You have a model that works and is popular with players. Wouldn't want a repeat of that...

I really hope de was their chance to get all their stupid out, and the LS6 stuff will be drizz/Bjora style

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

let me post eighteen different youtube videos from various streamers who make their living playing a dead mmo telling you how wrong you are for failing this meta

More than two hours because squads/maps start forming before the actual start and fill up instantly, since a super organized squad is your only chance at success.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

I'm a huge fan of the 2nd part. Streaming culture combined with the usual official forum/reddit toxicity on top of reviving the meta design that made HoT poo poo, A+++ would buy again.

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
Yeah I failed that one meta every single time that I wasn't in one of those 60+ player pre-made Discords.

The amount of coordination and effort required of strangers is absurd.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mokbek posted:

Yeah I failed that one meta every single time that I wasn't in one of those 60+ player pre-made Discords.

I run with Overflow Trading Company's meta commanders, they recruited a bunch that run DE, and as you say they usually get close to full before even opening to LFG.

https://discord.gg/gw2overflow

I usually run with Gumby or Sloth right before reset, they don't require voice communication and I have yet to finish with less than 3 minutes remaining. That bad run was because Soo-Won decided to do the rotation where she's unhittable at least 6 times in a row.

I show up around 6:15 EST to get my 5 event stacks before the meta, then usually have dinner while waiting for the meta to start. Easy 9g/Antique Summoning Stone and a slot pull on the edgy void infusion. Been doing this for at least two weeks now without a single failure. In large part to commander callouts, commander requesting and orgainzing boons, food and banner buffs, and EMP coordination.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 22, 2022

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Mokbek posted:

God forbid there be any challenging open world content that requires a hair of coordination and preplanning planning in your massively multiplayer online rpg. Will highly recommend Vexona.6452 nightly runs if anyone needs a successful DE on NA servers. Always have lots of goons, there are give aways, and 100 pct winrates with no toxicity.

Will agree 100 pct on the problem with all the rewards being backloaded.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The issue is that it's so sudden. No other meta event in the game, including the ones on the other 3 EoD maps, asks of you more than to show up and pres 111111. They should have used those to slowly train people for Dragons End but alas.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Counterpoint - if the other metas scaled up in difficulty, people who equally whine about those events being too hard. And as they stand, the dps checks on those events can get pretty close (although usually just reynak, because you can wind up with groups who can't CC and can't clear gyros, and it turns into a giant shitshow).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Erdricks posted:

God forbid there be any challenging open world content that requires a hair of coordination and preplanning planning in your massively multiplayer online rpg. Will highly recommend Vexona.6452 nightly runs if anyone needs a successful DE on NA servers. Always have lots of goons, there are give aways, and 100 pct winrates with no toxicity.
:psyduck:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the problem with DE has never been the difficulty, but the RNG of the last fight, while also the only real rewards happening after the last fight, which means the fight rolls a dice if you get any loot or no loot at all regardless of your group's performance lmao

i've been in completely random groups that cleared with 5 minutes to spare, and i've been in organized high dps groups that couldn't clear because she's hungry again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again

i probably have a 95% success rate on it at this point, and it still sucks greatly and they should fix it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I don't mind the difficulty or even the required time investment, but the difference in rewards between success and failure is not pretty

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's such an easy fix, too. just stop the drat timer any time she's invulnerable/away and make it 10 minutes instead. fight fixed

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'd say there's a lot more wrong with it than that.

Just off a few brief encounters with it, there's:

1) You're constantly being asked to do things, like "break bubbles" or "attack the tail", and the minute you break the bubbles, there are more bubbles. If you take out the tail, it's about ten seconds before the tail is back and making bubbles again. You never feel like you're making progress.

2) The arena is full of things with health bars, but individual player DPS barely even shows up on clearing them out, so it, again, feels like you aren't accomplishing anything. Some people have told me the best thing to do is to just ignore all the adds, which just makes it feel even more pointless.

3) It's generally very clear that you're going to fail about ten minutes before you do, but you have to complete your disheartening unvictory lap because otherwise you'd be the rear end in a top hat leaving the room.

4) Aurene repeats the same voice cues over and over, which is annoying.

5) The game is set up so that you can just show up for events, and as a result just showing up should be all you have to do to win if you do it correctly. If something needs an organized group with squads and Discord to have a chance, you should have to queue for it.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
If you want 50 man raid content, maybe ask Anet to build a 50 man raid instead of them making GBS threads it out as a poorly executed "meta" event. It's unfun and not good game design.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
come on, DE isn't anywhere near raid content difficulty. unless you get hosed by RNG you can clear it easily with low DPS open world builds, and it's really not any harder than dragonfall in LS4 or tarir in HOT, where you have to kill 3-4 different enemies at the same time, every other mechanic is completely irrelevant for success since the waypoint is so close, even if you don't get picked up after getting downed

but again, the problem is that people do get hosed by RNG, and they get hosed often. she randomly chooses to go invulnerable for 80% of the time you're supposed to be hitting her. which means unless you can destroy the 20% phase healthbar in about 30s every time, you're screwed. everything else about the fight is very static (2, 3 adds to dps down simultaneously and 2 breaks in the fight where you basically do nothing for 2 minutes), but the time you have to hit on her own hp is insanely variable when it really shouldn't be

stopping the timer also fixes the "seeing no progress" problem imo, because if there's no timer while you can't do damage, who cares? it'll just take a couple minutes longer, nobody's gonna notice

i've cleared it with a guild group a couple times now, and the same ~30 people, doing roughly the same dps, have seen anything from <10 seconds to >6 minutes left on the timer when she dies, and one time we straight up failed because she couldn't be hit for 3:45 out of 4 minutes left when she came back at 20%. if this was a 3 minute fight people might tolerate this, but it's a 1.5 hour adventure, which means a bit of bad luck and you waste 12 hours of your time with nothing to show for lmao

also, technically she's not invulnerable when tail's out, but honestly she really should be, because i'm now seeing idiots in random groups go "if she has 6% or less just keep attacking her and ignore the tail, it's faster" idk how it happened, but 6% with 90% damage reduction is same as 60% lmfao, there's no pug group that can handle 2/3rds of an extra health bar like that. i imagine a popular streamer did it with a 60k dps per person group or some poo poo lol

re: adds/healthbars, yeah it's best to just ignore them, they're gigantic hp sacks because they scale to 50 people, but that's a problem with most big boss fights, i've yet to see people focus adds on any fight where it's not explicitly required to progress, and is a whole can of worms they'll have to open eventually if they want to fix the fights with this problem imo

i think it's fine to have this content in open world, but it has to be content that's not very stupidly designed, and insane amounts of randomness in a boss fight is a very stupid thing. the rest of the mechanics aren't even bad, apart from the ever-present scaling adds problem, but the RNG absolutely murders any kind of "i'll just join this event and maybe clear", because everyone doing decent dps found an instance/group an hour ago, to try to avoid getting hosed by it, and probably then cleared with 5 minutes to spare

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The RNG has been the main issue with it as a combat encounter since it was released. They've tweaked the numbers a bit but all they really need to do is limit the number of movement/special abilities she can use per phase and it'll be a lot more reasonable just due to the improved consistency.

Everyone has been telling them this since EoD launch and they've steadfastly refused to acknowledge the RNG is an issue so until people stop engaging with it entirely I don't think they'll do anything to actually address it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The best way I've heard the DE meta explained is that it's a "non-consensual raid".

With the other challenging content in the game, you get to choose who is in your instance. Not with DE. And you can't force people out of the map who aren't doing the meta, either. Hell, some streamers who praised the meta and told everyone you just need to do the mechanics were themselves caught tricking players to leave the same instance because the numbers and strats matter.

Anet can add as many random rewards to the end of the meta all they want; the fact that this needs to have an instanced version like Dragonstorm and Marionette just to be less time-consuming and stressful has been known since its introduction.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I started with a default Revenant 80 boosted core setup and enjoyed it quite a bit and eventually went with Herlad: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Herald_-_Power_Herald After buying the named berserker armor I initially forgot to swap runes from Strength to Infiltration (the guide suggested budget dps).

With Strength I was constantly teetering at 20-25 might while in combat without even thinking about it. I didn't need Facet of Strength at all which spared some energy.

Then I swapped to Infiltration runes as the guide suggests and it seems to be a straight downgrade. Never reaching 25 might, even with Facet of Strength running. While running Facet of Darkness for Fury, infiltrations extra precision brings crit chance from 88% to 93% (from memory) which doesn't feel consequential.

Sword 5 shadow walk doesn't seem to proc the vigor from stealth attribute and 10% boost to strike damage if monster <50%hp seems equivalent to strength's 5% boost while under might.

I'll probably just go back to strength runes, but is there a reason Infiltration was suggested that I'm missing?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

It's probably assuming you have a source of might from your group.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Strength is pretty good, yeah. Keeping Facet of Strength up does give 4% more damage due to Forceful Persistence, so even if you're might capped it might be good to have it active anyways (your allies will appreciate it).

DARPA posted:

Sword 5 shadow walk doesn't seem to proc the vigor from stealth

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth

Stealth is an actual effect. Sword 5 is a teleport/shadowstep, not stealth.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I hope the next LS masteries improve on the jade waypoint. I just want to drop it at a high point in New Kaineng to facilitate repeated griffon runs.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

What do y'all do for experience in Cantha? I have enough mastery points to max everything but I feel like I can't find a decent source of XP. The Dragon's End meta is decent, I suppose, but it's difficult for me to actually have a block of time to do it.

For reference, I need the last Arborstone, all of turtle, and half of skiff masteries still. Maxed out fishing though because my priorities are solid.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Map completion and story on alts when I have time to play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Besides the obvious "park in Arborstone to get buffs before going in", there's a few hearts that give out XP bonuses, like the training ground one in Seitung Provience. Stack that ontop the other XP buffs you're running. I personally like Not Dragon's End, the other mapwide metas if I feel like running around a lot, or map complete on characters that need maps completed if that's not a thing I want to do and have a chiller time, since I personally still have a lot of achivos this go round to finish off.