Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

I think it's safe to say that every video game player has at least heard of the Silent Hill series. Whether you're a die-hard fan of the horror genre or you won't touch it with a 10-foot pole, you know what Silent Hill is and how iconic it has become in the industry. From the distinctive music to the disturbing creatures, the series is fantastic, and each game leaves a mark on your psyche in its own unique way.

For this Let's Play, Amy and I (Peter) are going to be going through the Xbox 360 version of Silent Hill: Downpour, the most recently-released console game in the series (well, aside from the ill-fated P.T.). We kind of have differing opinions of the game: Amy thinks it's okay but not without its problems, and I think it's probably my favorite one in the series. For the first time, we're going to go for a 100% playthrough, too, doing every sidequest in the game. I'm pretty excited about that, as we've only done a couple here and there in the past. Hopefully, we'll also be able to show everyone every ending when we get to that point.

As far as spoilers go, if you could put them behind the spoiler tag, that would be fantastic. WE already know the game, but others might not, and we don't want to spoil anything. We hope you all enjoy what we have planned, and thanks again in advance for going on yet another journey with us!

P.S.: We're sorry if ads appear on the videos; we've already been hit for a copyright violation in the first episode during a 30-second bit that includes us talking for most of it. Thanks for that, Konami.

EPISODE LIST

Part 1: The anus of creation
Part 2: Toilet room
Part 3: Hotchacha demon
Part 4: Enjoy the Rich History of the Devil's Train
Part 5: Pants Light
Part 6: We broke it
Part 7: FORENSIC pants light
Part 8: Mirror cop
Part 9: Don't toot your clever!
Part 10: I'm sure the house will be fine
Part 11: I gave you a coat!
Part 12: Ceiling tickler
Part 13: Had enough, huh? OH GEEZ
Part 14: • Some details!
Part 15: Whoa, SAFE.
Part 16: Got demons
Part 17: Clinically Spooky
Part 18: Michonne has looked better
Part 19: When you unplug tubes
Part 20: Copper's Let's Play Theatre
Part 21 (FINALE!): Melancholy for days

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played this game when it first came out to the point where I finished multiple playthroughs to see all the endings and I can't remember a single thing about it. I don't even remember the main character's name. I think he's called Jim something? And there's a bit in an elevator that goes on for a while? And a fisherman and some woman who hates you for some reason? Is this what it's like having dementia? I mean I guess that would count as it making a mark on my psyche

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Crane Fist posted:

I played this game when it first came out to the point where I finished multiple playthroughs to see all the endings and I can't remember a single thing about it. I don't even remember the main character's name. I think he's called Jim something? And there's a bit in an elevator that goes on for a while? And a fisherman and some woman who hates you for some reason? Is this what it's like having dementia? I mean I guess that would count as it making a mark on my psyche

I never said that the marks on your psyche would be welcome. But they're there! (Also, the main character's name is Murphy Pendleton. :-P)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like the scaAaAaAry subtitle font they chose.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Silent Hill 1 is my favorite as well. This is largely because the second game didn't really add anything new in terms of mechanics or gameplay - it largely improved the narrative and technical side. I played 1, 2 and 3 in sequence and it simply felt like 2 was more of the first game.

Is it just me or is that tremolo guitar at 07:22 a reference to the main theme of the first game?

I gotta say I liked that chase sequence forced-perspective (?) stuff with the walls moving.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SirDifferential posted:

Is it just me or is that tremolo guitar at 07:22 a reference to the main theme of the first game?

Yeah, that's almost definitely a SH1 callback.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pedrovay2003 posted:

I never said that the marks on your psyche would be welcome. But they're there! (Also, the main character's name is Murphy Pendleton. :-P)

Apparently in my head he became a composite with Jim Murphy, the former Scottish Labour leader he kinda not really resembles

I mean they're both pretty loving generic and I wouldn't vote for either of them?

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 2, 2017

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SirDifferential posted:

Silent Hill 1 is my favorite as well. This is largely because the second game didn't really add anything new in terms of mechanics or gameplay - it largely improved the narrative and technical side. I played 1, 2 and 3 in sequence and it simply felt like 2 was more of the first game.

I gotta say I liked that chase sequence forced-perspective (?) stuff with the walls moving.

Yeah, the music was definitely a callback. There's a TON of stuff in this game that references every other game in the series; it's great.

And yeah, the chase sequences and all of the rest of the Otherworld sequences are actually really cool. I thought they'd be forced, but I love them all.

Crane Fist posted:

Apparently in my head he became a composite with Jim Murphy, the former Scottish Labour leader he kinda not really resembles

I mean they're both pretty loving generic and I wouldn't vote for either of them?

Holy crap, that's actually eerie. The hair is definitely different, but I do think that the face is pretty close.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 3, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the depth-of-field effect on the transition.

...and I'm kind of wondering what happens to a greasy-spoon kitchen over decades of neglect. Is there, like, residue on the walls?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! It's time to see what the combat system is like in this one!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Gonna put a little context into the opening sequence for you: If a prisoner is completely sequestered, it's generally because, thanks to whatever is is they're convicted of, you can reasonably expect they wouldn't make it through their term alive. Gonna avoid specifics here, but Fatty McEpicTowel there did something so repugnant that even hardened criminals of the worst calibre would take some... extreme exception to his presence, even setting aside Pendelton's personal vendetta concerning his son. I'll let you fill in the blanks.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ah, okay, that makes a lot of sense. I thought he was sequestered because he had a bunch of money and paid for special treatment, or something along those lines.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If anyone had to look exactly like a child molester, it's him.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

pedrovay2003 posted:

Ah, okay, that makes a lot of sense. I thought he was sequestered because he had a bunch of money and paid for special treatment, or something along those lines.

I'm reasonably sure you can't pay to be sequestered.

chitoryu12 posted:

Thank you for spelling it out.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Obviously Pooj ended up in the slammer for extreme skating.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Obviously Pooj ended up in the slammer for extreme skating.

The Pooj has really let himself go since being locked up.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, he hits all the cues. If he did something else they're sending really mixed signals.

Lazy Bear posted:

You just have to ask, the prison will do it to avoid looking bad.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lazy Bear posted:

Someone's never been to privately-run prison

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Glad to see another Pete and Amy LP come up. I always wanted to get more into the Silent Hill series. Played the first one back in the day when my buddy got his first place. In a lovely little shack. In a wooded area. With poor lighting. And he was a practical joker...

Hmm

Anyway, got through 1 and 2, but kind of dropped off after that. Really wish PT would have come out as that's the kind of scary I really like. Less jump scare, more creepy and atmospheric. You become your own worst enemy as you start seeing things that aren't there. And because it's a game, maybe you are seeing things that were there, but aren't now.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

Glad to see another Pete and Amy LP come up. I always wanted to get more into the Silent Hill series. Played the first one back in the day when my buddy got his first place. In a lovely little shack. In a wooded area. With poor lighting. And he was a practical joker...

Aw, we're happy to be back! :-D Also, everything about this seems completely fine with no cause for concern whatsoever.

CzarChasm posted:

Anyway, got through 1 and 2, but kind of dropped off after that. Really wish PT would have come out as that's the kind of scary I really like. Less jump scare, more creepy and atmospheric. You become your own worst enemy as you start seeing things that aren't there. And because it's a game, maybe you are seeing things that were there, but aren't now.

P.T. was absolutely fantastic, and it broke my heart when it got cancelled. Amy and I still have it on our PS4, and we made a system backup to get it back in case something happens. You can't even download it anymore, even if it's already in your list of "purchases" on the PlayStation Store. It's such a sad thing that happened.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I was always curious about this but basically gave up on the series when Homecoming came out. I played the first four when they were released and liked them all to varying degrees, with 2 and 1 being my favorites. I think 4 is probably most deserving of a remake/re-imagine because it was so strong in concept but so lackluster in execution. I think it had the right idea in branching off from the first three games and trying to explore different types of horror while not being slavish to what people expect from Silent Hill. I mean, the plot is your apartment is haunted by the ghost of a murderer because he thinks the apartment is his mother. That's bonkers. 4 had a surreal quality that none of the other games had, but it was so heavily marred by bad design decisions that it's tough to revisit.

Something about Downpour just rubs me the wrong way so far. It seems too...eager, or something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Something about sun-washed Silent Hill seems wrong.

I mean, it's a perfectly fine thing to find in a generic spooky northeastern town, and there's something neat about it only being almost sunset. But still. Unfiltered sunlight.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! We see a new enemy in this episode, and we get ready for a mine cart ride! Jubilation!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
So I know it's your style, but the whole "wait, I forget where to go" stuff is annoying. You aren't playing blind and you aren't trying to keep the audience from knowing things, so why don't you just look up a walkthrough before? Only one of you has to do it, and that way someone knows where you're going. I, at least, am watching this because I'm too much of a wuss to play horror games myself. I want to experience the game, but watching someone else wander around lost is no fun.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
To be fair, that's at least 10% of any Silent Hill playthrough, at least in my experience. And I've played the first four games 5-10 times each.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Very true. I have played 1 and 2. And you did edit a bit out there. I just found it extra frustrating today for some reason. Meh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It really seems like some of these things are positioned where you're supposed to fight, like the double-team out on the ledge or the spider thing in the big police tape arena.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

It really seems like some of these things are positioned where you're supposed to fight, like the double-team out on the ledge or the spider thing in the big police tape arena.

Yeah, it's kind of a kick in the head when you're told to run if you have to, but you're then forced into combat. That happens a few times throughout this game.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Domus posted:

So I know it's your style, but the whole "wait, I forget where to go" stuff is annoying. You aren't playing blind and you aren't trying to keep the audience from knowing things, so why don't you just look up a walkthrough before? Only one of you has to do it, and that way someone knows where you're going. I, at least, am watching this because I'm too much of a wuss to play horror games myself. I want to experience the game, but watching someone else wander around lost is no fun.

That's one of the biggest problems with this game, honestly- there's no real sense of where you should be going or how to get there, no one has any motivation to do anything at all

If Silent Hill the town calibrates itself to the personality of anyone entering it obviously took one look at Murphy and went okay, bland, meandering and pointlessly obtuse it is

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Crane Fist posted:

That's one of the biggest problems with this game, honestly- there's no real sense of where you should be going or how to get there, no one has any motivation to do anything at all

If Silent Hill the town calibrates itself to the personality of anyone entering it obviously took one look at Murphy and went okay, bland, meandering and pointlessly obtuse it is

I was having some serious issues trying to figure out where we needed to be, yeah, and that was even after having played this a couple of times already. There are so many places that look like they'd have something good, and in reality, there's absolutely nothing there. I swear, I DO like this game, though. :-P

We're definitely going to be following a guide for the sidequests, otherwise the series will never end.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I was disappointed with Downpour when it came out. Shattered Memories, for all its faults, at least tried something new. Downpour just goes right back to the Silent Hill comfort zone. Also, Murphy's pursuing nightmare nemesis is A BIG LAMP which is never not stupid.

The combat is awful too. Fighting those screaming women is so tedious, and they're this game's standard enemy. And breakable weapons are always a terrible idea.

Are you editing out the copyrighted music? I remember there being a few diagetic songs in this game, but I've forgotten where they show up.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Inferior posted:

Are you editing out the copyrighted music? I remember there being a few diagetic songs in this game, but I've forgotten where they show up.

No, we only realized how much copyrighted stuff there is after we started uploading, so I think we're in too deep right now. I swear, though, we've been getting hit for the strangest segments, and most of them end up just being the two of us talking. Konami is thorough.

I suppose we could just turn off the in-game music though. I'll have to see what everyone thinks of that idea.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel like the songs were one of the best parts of this game just for the timing of some of them. It loses a lot without them.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

I feel like the songs were one of the best parts of this game just for the timing of some of them. It loses a lot without them.

I agree. I think we'll just have to deal with angry Konami. :-P

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4 is up now! It's a bit shorter than the others, because we made the huge mistake of forgetting to grab the town map once we made it out of the mine, so we cut out that entire replayed section.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Okay, you recalled the patrol cars...why? I mean other than that it's a sidequest, what's the in-game reason for it?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Domus posted:

Okay, you recalled the patrol cars...why? I mean other than that it's a sidequest, what's the in-game reason for it?

If you don't call them back, they alert enemies to your presence, and a TON spawn really close to where you are. It's not too horrible, but it can be annoying if you're cornered somewhere. The main reason is to knock out a sidequest, though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
For what it's worth, you were trying to name Michigan J Frog in ep 3

Could you have gone into any of the seats on the minecart ride, or only the last row?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

For what it's worth, you were trying to name Michigan J Frog in ep 3

Could you have gone into any of the seats on the minecart ride, or only the last row?

Yeah, that was him! I love that guy!

And no, the main parts of the game are pretty scripted; that was the only seat we could interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And an enhanced flashlight, too! But wow, that town map is easy to miss.

And the DJ... is kind of flipping between know-it-all horror DJ and just some dude trapped at the station.

• Locked thread