Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I vote we do Yukari's route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

In general, units that join you in 4 (including ones that technically joined in 3 but only for the last 2 maps) are incredibly good from what I've observed. I think it's to give you a reason to use them in the last leg of the series, but it winds up unfortunately meaning that there's always this sense of older units whom weren't already leaning towards great just being blown out of the water - especially those whom don't get the quasi-arbitrary upgrades sprinkled throughout the game.

Of course if you're playing on normal or even hard this doesn't matter too much since the game's forgiving, and giving a unit two or three levels of WP or some of the better items will always be a great equalizer.

unless you play on lunatic but mother of god why would you ever do that. Actually, that makes me curious - how bad is Luantic+ in this game? Completely unplayable, or a really hard but manageable challenge?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Glazius posted:

Oh, so the carrier isn't actually a roving home for the entire squad, as such? It seems like only a few people actually have quarters on it. I guess if you live in Gensokyo you get used to having to sleep rough now and again.

Most people actually have houses to go back to, and the incidents don't really take more than a day, usually.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Everyone can fly anyways (except when they forget to) so it's not like getting around is that hard. Finding your way in the dark is probably much more difficult.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
One of the many things I appreciate about Touhou is that it doesn't forget that people have to like, actually live in Gensokyo. Most characters have a house or other plausible home, and some kind of job or means of making money.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Kogasa being a blacksmith is the most adorable thing in the series.

Shame fan artists almost never touch on it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
we need more things like blacksmith kogasa, yeah

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Gyra_Solune posted:

we need more things like blacksmith kogasa, yeah

She also needs to be paid for her hard work.

Reimu, I'm looking at you...

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I should go looking in the main LP forum more often, I did not know this had started. Also kinda glad that voting isn't going right now because I have no idea who I'd vote for, there are too many good choices.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
:siren::siren::siren:
Chapter 61

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
New Character

Medicine Melancholy
Personal Skills:
-Nerve Toxin: Next attack ignores 100% of enemy Armour. (2 uses).
-Melancholy Toxin: Next attack reduces the target's MP and Ammo to 0. (2 uses).
-Lily of the Valley: Triumph costs 20 SP (normally 30 SP).
Spirit List: Focus, Alert, Gain, Sense, Triumph, ???

Medicine is a 2.0 Real with a unique gimmick. Most of her attacks ignore 50% of the enemy's Armour (her weakest attack ignores Armour completely), and they all ignore barriers as well. The latter part will be very handy later on for dealing with certain jerks, but the Armour-piercing is solid too, and makes her a pretty consistant attacker. You'll probably be sticking with Nerve Toxin as her PS, cuz Melancholy Toxin doesn't work on bosses.

She comes with Assist Boost L2 from the get-go (which boosts the damage of her Team Attacks) which suggests using her as a backpack for a stronger unit, but her spirit list is built more as a frontliner. For what it's worth, her SS size makes her pretty evasive, and she comes with 5 bars of upgrades in every stat (as do Nue and Kogasa) so it's not like you have to invest much to get her going.

She's pretty uniquely well-suited to taking on a lot of annoying lategame enemies, so whether you use her as a frontliner or a supporter, she'll probably find a use.

---

By the way, several units have gotten animation updates from patches, and Medicine got an (incredibly minor) one. So for reference, here she is, both pre- and post-patch:

-Medicine's Attacks (Pre)
-Medicine's Attacks (Post)

See if you can spot the difference.
It's not the lag in the second video, that's Ryza's fault.

---

So with everyone back together, that means it's VOTING TIME!

Marisa is forced as usual, and I'm gunna say our newcomers (Nue, Kogasa, and Medicine) as well as Lily White should all come along for a chapter as well.

FWIW there's also some new stuff with Shou and The Naz, but I'll leave it up to you guys if you want to vote them in or not.

Daiyousei
Sunny
Luna
Star

Elly
Kurumi
Rumia
Cirno
Koakuma
Letty
Chen
Lily White
Lunasa
Merlin
Lyrica
Wriggle
Mystia
Tewi
Medicine
Shizuha
Minoriko
Hina
Nitori
Kisume
Yamame
Parsee
Nazrin
Kogasa
Shou

Alice
Meiling
Patchouli
Sakuya
Youmu
Keine
Reisen
Komachi (unavailable)
FA Nitori
Momiji
Aya
Hatate
Sanae
Ichirin
Murasa
Nue

Reimu
Ran
Mokou
Yuugi

Remilia
Flamdollio
Yukari
Suika
Eirin
Kaguya
Kanako
Suwako

Factoring in my picks, you've got 48.5 to work with. Enjoy!

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 31, 2017

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Bring Aki 1 leaving 46.5.

The reason for the lag was because i accidentally let windows 10 update and ever since all my FMW games have just ran like poo poo. So far though its only been medicines poo gas effect that's caused noticeable slowdown.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Clearly we need to bring the Star of the show at the bargain price of 1.5.
45 points left.

(Unless I can vote for all three fairies as a unit, in which case I do that.)

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Bring Mokou, leaving 42.0.

I was expecting Medicine's gimmick to just reduce HP, but this is a lot more interesting. Shame you get her first in the last game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bring Tewi, leaving 40.0

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
We need the Sunny to light up our journey, for 38.5.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Mokou. (35.5)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Grashbar posted:

Mokou. (35.5)

If we have two Mokous, can we have two Kogasas as well?

Otherwise I'm going with The Naz, 36.5

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wriggle, 34.5

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Let’s bring Sanae and the cost becomes 32.0.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I don't know what a Flamdollio is, but let's take Sakuya along for 29.5

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Extremely disappointed Alice cares about her dolls on a personal level and doesn't view most of them primarily as mobile explosives. It's just weird.

Anyway let's bring Ichirin and Unzan, leaving us with 27. It's basically a 2 for 1 pick. Think of the value!!

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Rectus posted:

If we have two Mokous, can we have two Kogasas as well?

Otherwise I'm going with The Naz, 36.5

Goes to show just how good I am at paying attention orz.

Shou then, always been reliable to me in these games. 25.0

Grashbar fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 31, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Take Ran with you! 22.0 cost should remain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Gap Hag (18.5)

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I was going to vote for Kogasa but since she's coming anyway let's complete the Fairy Trio with Luna, leaving us at 17.0.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
oh boy i'm finally on time to vote for this

Let's have Murasa go with her girlfriend, so we've got 14.5 left after that.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Hina with 12.5 left.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yamame, obviously. 10.5.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Extremely disappointed Alice cares about her dolls on a personal level and doesn't view most of them primarily as mobile explosives. It's just weird.

They tie it into her backstory, so you can blame PC-98 nonsense.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I choose Froppy leaving us with an even 7

Buried Treasure
Oct 23, 2008
Reisen, for 4.5 cost left!

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Yomou, cause gently caress it.

Leaves 2.0.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Aki2, obviously. 0 left.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 31, 2017

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Voting closed, here's our squad. Look forward to Chapter 62 in a billion years.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter 62

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Lily Black
Personal Skill:
-Fallen Angel Mood: All attacks become 1-6 range.
Spirit List: Daunt, Sense, Guard, Accel, Fury, Assault

Lily Black is just an elaborate Nadesico joke. She still has the lovely pilot stats of a healer, and her unit stats aren't nearly high enough to compensate. The most I can say about her is that I'm impressed they bothered giving her a different spirit list, but she'd really be better off with her default set.

Satori Komeiji
Personal Skills:
-Terrifying Hypnotism: Recollection does +20% damage.
-Recalled Trauma: Recollection does +50% damage on the next hit. (2 uses).
Spirit List: Attune, Alert, Focus, Trust, Triumph, ???

Satori's stat spread itself isn't very impressive, but her unique Mind Reader L9 ability gives her a free cast of Alert every turn, as well as +30% Hit/Evade on top of that. She's never going to be the most damaging unit ever (even if you copy other characters' finishers, her offensive stats are pretty low) but her sheer reliability makes up for that.

Aside from that, her Attune (which casts Strike on anyone) costs 20 SP, which is the same as what Strike costs people normally. That's kinda neat.

Eiki Shiki Yamaxanadu
Personal Skills:
-Judge of Paradise: Hit and evasion rates at 50% or below get rounded down to 0%, and 51% or above get rounded up to 100%.
-Black and White Verdict: For both units in the pair, accuracy gets rounded up to the nearest 10, and damage gets rounded up to the nearest 1000. (so 71% gets rounded to 80%, 5005 damage gets rounded to 6000)
-Get to Work!: All allied units deploy with +7 Power.
-Yama's Rage: Rage costs 60 SP (normally 70).
Spirit List: Sense, Grit, Focus, Rage, Fury, Valour

I've never used Eiki, but at a glance, she seems like a solid 3.5 unit, with decent power and good weapon ranges. Her strongest two attacks run on ammo, and her other attacks cost minimal MP, so she's got reliability there. Plus she has the Wisdom ability (which she shares with Yukari), granting her +30% Hit/Evade and +10% Crit above 130 Power. All told, that puts her at around Reimu's evasiveness, which is fairly impressive.

Her only PS really worth using is Judge of Paradise, and it's kind of a double-edged sword. Ideally against trash mobs she should always have 100% to hit/dodge letting her save SP for the boss, but some late game enemies can be really loving accurate, so I'm not sure how well that works out in practice. If nothing else, she has Grit to take an unlucky hit (and I do love Grit on Reals) and Focus if you're concerned about getting swamped, so she looks good at least.

By the way, Rage is another of the "old SRW spirits that never get used anymore" club. It deals 500(!!!!) damage to every enemy on the map. There's, uh, a reason why SRW never brought it back. I can't really fault Eiki for it though, her Spirit list is incredibly solid aside from that.

As an aside, I don't know why, but Eiki can't Parry, even though she clearly has a weapon. Pretty hosed imo.

---

-Chapter 62's New Attacks
-Nue's Attacks (Player)
-Lily Black's Attacks (Black Selena for comparison)
-Satori's Attacks
-Eiki's Attacks

---

It's voting time, it's voting time~

Marisa's forced as usual, Satori is unavailable (for reasons) and I want to give Eiki a fair shake. With that in mind, you've got 53.5 Cost to work with.

Daiyousei
Sunny
Luna
Star

Elly
Kurumi
Rumia
Cirno
Koakuma
Letty
Chen
Lily White
Lunasa
Merlin
Lyrica
Wriggle
Mystia
Tewi
Medicine
Shizuha
Minoriko
Hina
Nitori
Kisume
Yamame
Parsee
Nazrin
Kogasa
Shou

Alice
Meiling
Patchouli
Sakuya
Youmu
Keine
Reisen
Komachi
FA Nitori
Momiji
Aya
Hatate
Sanae
Satori
Ichirin
Murasa
Shou (Pagoda)
Nue

Reimu
Ran
Mokou
Yuugi

Remilia
Flad the Impaler
Yukari
Suika
Eirin
Kaguya
Eiki
Kanako
Suwako

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 14, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yamamamamame leaving 51.5

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Shou (Pagoda), 49.0

Fun facts about Eiki: Her Guilty or Not Guilty attack used to be Melee type, and her finisher as a player unit, Last Judgment, is 50 points weaker than Murasa's finisher. As a 3.5 cost unit, versus a 2.5 cost unit.

Buried Treasure
Oct 23, 2008
We need the return of Komachi, it's only appropriate, sort of. Leaving 46.5 cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

You know her, you love her, it's Wriggle Nightbug, 44.5.