Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm curious to see GSP fight again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

I think Tyron would beat GSP and it would be bad and it would make me feel bad

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

1st AD posted:

Here's an interesting question - given their styles, could Tyron Woodley beat GSP?

I like to think that Woodley is faster than GSP and hits way harder, but in reality Woodley often fights with his back to the fence and lets his opponent lead. It'd probably be a boring fight, unless GSP is so physically gone that Woodley can just leap in and punch his head off.

Rory gave the blueprint for beating Woodley. Given GSP's history with the jab unless he's physically done I assume he could recreate Rory's plan.

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Woodley trained with Sage for wonderboy and Askren for Maia. Who would he train with for gsp? himself?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Given their respective style, Tyrons style of being huge and good at defensive wrestling and having a lot of power but not especially advanced striking; and gsps style of being a retired coward, I'd give the advantage of Tyrion "The Half Man" Woodly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

1st AD posted:

Here's an interesting question - given their styles, could Tyron Woodley beat GSP?

I like to think that Woodley is faster than GSP and hits way harder, but in reality Woodley often fights with his back to the fence and lets his opponent lead. It'd probably be a boring fight, unless GSP is so physically gone that Woodley can just leap in and punch his head off.

He can crack like hell when he actually throws and he has elite wrestling chops so if he can defend GSP's takedowns, which isn't exactly impossible, and land punches, so yeah, he can definitely beat GSP. I'd probably have him as favourite in 2017/18

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

GSP will likely do to Woodley what he did to Koscheck

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

If only we had recent footage detailing how a skilled grappler would fare against Woodley when Woodley presses himself against the cage.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Oh yeah GSP beat up kos in 1993 or whatever, so he'd probably do that and NOT tap to exestenstial fear.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

JaySB posted:

GSP will likely do to Woodley what he did to Koscheck
woodley would have to get a lot worse at fighting really fast for this to work.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GSP will lose. This is like a rehash of BJ Penn's last fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat is gsp out of the hospital yet from the hendricks beating?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Skip My Posts posted:

drat is gsp out of the hospital yet from the hendricks beating?

GSP getting his rear end beat by fat Johny was merely a cover to distract from the fact that he fathered a child out of wedlock, truly elusive is baby-daddy GSP, Joe.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Novum posted:

Seeing GSP has aroused some curiosity in me too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Reminder that steroid johny hit at least as hard as woodley, had 5x the work rate of woodley, and had the hands to box inside with robbie Lawler and gsp still won three rounds.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Wow thanks for reminding us.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ur welcome keven

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

Reminder that steroid johny hit at least as hard as woodley, had 5x the work rate of woodley, and had the hands to box inside with robbie Lawler and gsp still won three rounds.

Bigg Rigg doping was eye-opening for me. Perviously, I'd really only thought doping could give you more gas and more strength, but I never thought that the extra gas tank could also open up your fight IQ the way it seemed to for Johny. He still had moments after USADA, but really seemed to flatten in terms of his game without the juice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Bigg Rigg doping was eye-opening for me. Perviously, I'd really only thought doping could give you more gas and more strength, but I never thought that the extra gas tank could also open up your fight IQ the way it seemed to for Johny. He still had moments after USADA, but really seemed to flatten in terms of his game without the juice.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not, but PEDs can increase aggression, which would account for those changes in his game.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Could have been that his gameplan relied on his endless cardio and strength, and he tried to change it up post-USADA with little to no luck.

In other matters, does anyone outside of the 16(!) "journalists" that rank them give a single solitary poo poo about the UFC pound for pound rankings? The new ones just came out today and Cristine Justino is somehow #13 after beating up a fat bantamweight making her UFC debut.

Wasn't there like 50 actual journalists contributing to these rankings in the past? Not that I'm disparaging Bob Emanuel of Scripps Howard New Service, or Romain Cadot of vladusport.com, or Randy Cumford of the Piscataquis County Tribune.

ojaman
Feb 16, 2011
Why do people think Johnny was on peds? I remember he used to cut a fairly huge amount of weight. I think that caught up to him and the ban on ivs just made it even worse. He also could have been on peds but I don't know why that's the first thing people think.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
theyre just guessing

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Its a safe guess to make against any pro athlete

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ojaman posted:

Why do people think Johnny was on peds?

Working eyeballs, mostly

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not, but PEDs can increase aggression, which would account for those changes in his game.

Well yeah but being in much better shape/no nagging injuries/stronger also helps you execute things in the right way in a whole different way as well. Even people with great fight IQ can look like turds if their bodies can't keep up with they brains

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Novum posted:

He won't be anywhere near the draw they think he will anymore I suspect

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Memento posted:

Could have been that his gameplan relied on his endless cardio and strength, and he tried to change it up post-USADA with little to no luck.

In other matters, does anyone outside of the 16(!) "journalists" that rank them give a single solitary poo poo about the UFC pound for pound rankings? The new ones just came out today and Cristine Justino is somehow #13 after beating up a fat bantamweight making her UFC debut.

Wasn't there like 50 actual journalists contributing to these rankings in the past? Not that I'm disparaging Bob Emanuel of Scripps Howard New Service, or Romain Cadot of vladusport.com, or Randy Cumford of the Piscataquis County Tribune.

I think as a general rule of thumb, you need a good reason to leave a champion of a division off the Top 15 P4P. If you have a belt, you'll be on the list somewhere.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If they're going to make pointless belts for empty divisions, bring back Super Heavyweight

Give Brock Lesnar the belt and let him smash freakshow cans for millions of PPV sales

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

chaleski posted:

If they're going to make pointless belts for empty divisions, bring back Super Heavyweight

Give Brock Lesnar the belt and let him smash freakshow cans for millions of PPV sales

I'm completely fine with SHW because HW is just hosed to begin with but there's at least 3 fat people in the UFC who would starch Brock.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Novum posted:

Its a safe guess to make against any pro athlete

no it isnt

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

I respect your opinion

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

theyre just guessing

true. but when gsp offered to pay for both of their usada testing, johny's agreement and then furious backpedaling sure was funny. also he fell off super hard after usada became mandatory. that could also be explained by 10 rounds of getting hit by robbie.

either way, unless tyron knocks gsp out with his stutter step rush punch or ups his output by about 500% he's not beating gsp.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

true. but when gsp offered to pay for both of their usada testing, johny's agreement and then furious backpedaling sure was funny. also he fell off super hard after usada became mandatory. that could also be explained by 10 rounds of getting hit by robbie.

either way, unless tyron knocks gsp out with his stutter step rush punch or ups his output by about 500% he's not beating gsp.

Ohhh I had forgotten about this. Johny's reason for rejecting VADA (yes, VADA) testing was that they had a picture of GSP on their website.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Shadow225 posted:

If only we had recent footage detailing how a skilled grappler would fare against Woodley when Woodley presses himself against the cage.

Chalk comparing GSP to Demian Maia up as another stupid loving thing new people have said.

El Roncho fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 3, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

He's not beating GSP because GSP is a coward that will never fight him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rigel posted:

I think as a general rule of thumb, you need a good reason to leave a champion of a division off the Top 15 P4P. If you have a belt, you'll be on the list somewhere.

What loving division? She's a champion of nothing. You need contenders and gatekeepers and prospects to have a division. Right now all W145 has is Justino.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IMO there are plenty of fighters who should be on the P4P list ahead of plenty of champions.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Memento posted:

What loving division? She's a champion of nothing. You need contenders and gatekeepers and prospects to have a division. Right now all W145 has is Justino.

She is the champion of the ufc women's featherweight division. It is a UFC division because Dana White decided it was.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
She also didn't beat the previous fake champ to even get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Pound-for-pound rankings discussion and it's only the 2nd of the month. Gonna be a long one folks.

• Locked thread