Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ty1990 posted:

Im very sad that Daniel Cormier lost

Even though deep down we knew that was the only actual outcome possible I still had hope as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I don't want to see an immediate rematch but I definitely want to see Cowboy fight Lawler again sometime soon. If it's for a championship that'd be even better.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MMA is fuckin' weird and crazy and there's always a possibility Anderson could win. That being said I hope Kelvin puts him away easily because Silva really should have stopped fighting a few fights ago.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fuckin' lol

Jon Jones still doing anything he can to make sure he squanders any and all opportunities and I wouldn't have it any other way

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

"They're trying to ruin this kid's life", I say about the man doing a good enough job of that himself without needing the help

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Conor lost a fight by submission his own sport and turned that around to become part of one of the biggest fights of all time that people can't stop talking about in a sport he's never competed in. It's weird that people think a loss in a boxing match will devalue him in some way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

how so? he's already signed to a contract

Rookie mistake - the next big Jon Jones fuckup is always just around the corner you just have to hold out for it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Per Dana - The plan was Jones vs Stipe for the Heavyweight Belt in Detroit before this broke

Whoops

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Why would anyone make long term plans involving Jon Jones

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

he just had a hand in breaking basically every ppv distributor in the world. unless he just really wants to give nate a few million dollars i don't see him returning when he could just literally give nate a few million dollars and save them both some trouble.

wonder how many buys that circus just did.

Yeah it'll be really interesting to see how many buys this shitshow did - having to delay the fight because almost every ppv service was crashing is pretty impressive.

Fun fight, fun night.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Kins posted:

Because I'm not familiar with how these things work, so here's a dumb question: How are PvP buy counts effected by public venues putting the event on, if at all? Because I just got back from an hour-long drive from the seaside and every single pub and club I passed had big posters and other such ads up outside advertising that they were gonna show the fight.

Most of those are probably unlicensed so who knows if they even get counted at all. The ones that do report numbers probably report the total number of customers that night or something weird, I'm not sure.

I'd be shocked if more than 50% of those places actually paid what they owed for publicly broadcasting the event. I know of at least three venues here that most likely didn't but no one is going to report them because the cover is low and they don't want that to change. I'd be curious to know how they report those buys as well - good question.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Nibbles! posted:

Public venues pay an inflated cost based on what the venue can hold.

Ah, well that makes more sense. So the smart play is reporting that your venue can only hold 20 customers instead of 200.

Does anyone know if they check these numbers or even have a way to check these numbers? I don't know why I find this poo poo so interesting. I'm assuming places like Buffalo Wild Wings etc that are big chains try to stay on the level with that stuff but I know the small bar down the street had about ten people and wasn't charging enough to even make their money back on it so unless it's a loss leader to sell enough drinks to cover it I'm going to guess they're not paying the venue cost.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 27, 2017

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If I recall a separate company handles the public viewing stuff, called Joe Hand or something?

Looks like that's who it is:

quote:

When you call Joe Hand Promotions at 1-800-557-4263, a representative will be waiting. They will quote you a price based on your fire code occupancy. The only other information you need to reserve the event is your satellite or cable account number.

Nibbles! posted:

They have enforcement teams who will cross check their list of venues who've payed the license fee and those advertising the show but haven't. They'll also give the list to undercovers who'll go hopping during the broadcast to venues not on the list and see if they're showing it.

I see - I didn't know they took it that far to have undercovers go in and all that. I'd guess the next step would be slapping them with a fine should they get busted. Something like that happening would probably shut down the small bar I gave in my earlier example for good, though. Thanks for the responses.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

kensei posted:

UFC Sept: Back to your regularly scheduled programming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"Because I've learned my lesson and I'm a changed man," explains Jones after driving his car through the audience to accept his award.

Funny and sadly completely plausible

• Locked thread