Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Bigg Rigg doping was eye-opening for me. Perviously, I'd really only thought doping could give you more gas and more strength, but I never thought that the extra gas tank could also open up your fight IQ the way it seemed to for Johny. He still had moments after USADA, but really seemed to flatten in terms of his game without the juice.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not, but PEDs can increase aggression, which would account for those changes in his game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

true. but when gsp offered to pay for both of their usada testing, johny's agreement and then furious backpedaling sure was funny. also he fell off super hard after usada became mandatory. that could also be explained by 10 rounds of getting hit by robbie.

either way, unless tyron knocks gsp out with his stutter step rush punch or ups his output by about 500% he's not beating gsp.

Ohhh I had forgotten about this. Johny's reason for rejecting VADA (yes, VADA) testing was that they had a picture of GSP on their website.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, CAMEROONIAN SUPERSTAR FRANCIS NGANNOU

Also, what's wrong with "The Predator"?

Belongs to Patrick Cote thank you very much :canada:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll start:

Frankie Edgar is going to get messed up by Max Holloway. Frankie has been in too many wars, he's 35, and Max is good enough to show that it's caught up to him.

When's Mendes's foot cream suspension up?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Power of Pecota posted:

She's still probably beating Markos though, right?

This is one of those fights that at sea level would 100% turn on whoever wins the wrestling battles. If Markos gets the takedown early enough, she wins the round. Who knows what the altitude will do to the fight.

And Markos is significantly better than Mizuki. And better than Felice Herrig, for that matter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Well Stipe is number 4 and I think a whole boatload of LW and FTW are better than him, Cyborg, Nunes, and Woodley.

These discussions occasionally remind me that some people track MMA ELO scores. They're a seriously flawed ranking system, but they bring forgotten names back into the discussion.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/pound-for-pound/

I would argue that Benavidez should be above Cyborg and Woodley on a list like that. The guy has been #2 in his division for 5 years and his only career losses are to Mighty Mouse and Cruz.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Noctone posted:

Actually I just remembered his shoulder is (potentially extremely) hosed up right now so I suppose it's a moot point.

He complained about an injury and then was handed a 7 day medical suspension.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

My computer is out of commission right now so bless whatever soul writes the :effort: post for this mediocre card

Josuke Higashikata posted:

we should go without a thread and then pretend the card didn't happen

I'm putting together one that plays on this theme. It won't take long.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GDT is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829255

Rigel posted:

I've almost finished a post, but my offering is very basic, :effort:, and has no real theme. So, I'll defer to you if you are putting any thought to it.

Put your post in the thread anyway. :justpost:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kilometers Davis posted:

Al is completely insufferable and needs to gently caress off asap but Snoop's comments were super gross. Hmmm.

What were his comments?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It is a weaker field compared to the 115 tournament, which was just stacked with recognizable prospects and contenders from Invicta at the time. I'm surprised that we don't have Andrea Lee or Jennifer Maia in there, or at least Vanessa Porto. The three contenders are Roxy, Honchak, and Murphy, whereas the only one on that list who might be kind of a known prospect is Rachel Ostrovich, who is mostly notable for dressing up in a Wonder Woman rashguard rather than for winning.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Andrea Lee said that the chance to compete to be the first UFC champion would have been nice but ultimately she didn't want to be in the TUF house away from her daughter for so long. I don't know if the Brazilian ladies speak English or not but that was their reason for excluding Juliana Lima from the strawweight TUF and they just signed her to the roster anyway.

See that's why TUF is a dead format now - someone who could legitimately have a chance at winning can go "nah I can get into the UFC and get a belt through another route."

They should have just done this tournament on a series of regular cards on a faster rotation - do the first round on fight pass , the second round on some televised prelims, the semis on the main card of a low-level card, and the finals on the main card of a fox card. Put together a few alternate fights. Even if they wanted to stick to the two-round special "lighter tuf fight" format, it would work better and keep Gatchy and Alvarez in action.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Work Friend Keven posted:

Jacking off, sucking, loving, and other twisted poo poo like that is everyday topics in the UFC thread. Don't like it? Go back to cage potato my man.

26 days til the next UFC event.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Does JDS have any ground game?

It's pretty much a standing up game, and possibly the best out there. It has been a long time since I watched JDS Cain 2/3, but I seem to remember that Cain could take him down, and even though JDS was receiving facial deconstructive surgery, he was always able to get back up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kelvin's style of striking is not the kind that lets Anderson do his slip and counter matrix game. Kelvin is going to tear him up on the feet. We might get to see some air guitar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bigfoot fighting Rico is a Tim Hague situation. When people post "Bigfoot's going to die" they literally mean it. That fight should not go forward.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

See also Diego Sanchez, 4-6 with two recent first-round KO losses, going up a weight class to fight Matt Browne.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

JDS never seemed particularly juiced but he became a ghost during his Cain trilogy.

I've never been to Brazil - are native Brazilians particularly embarrassed by discussing their personal health? It seems to be a theme I've noticed. There also seems to be a pretty 1994 vibe to how they treat being anything but heterosexual.

Surely we have some natives here to tell me I'm wrong. (I'm always wrong)

Also noteworthy is that it was during the Cain trilogy that he gave himself rhabdo, which is probably as bad for his longevity as being punched in the head by Cain Velazquez for 48 minutes.

Something something hosed up kidneys diuretics.

e. and steroids. We need :steroids:.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't forget that Ian Kidd is a bad journalist with a Wikipedia-level knowledge of peds and Biochem. He's the one who wrote five articles saying :qq: "But Dhea isn't a ped Machida is innocent of wrongdoing!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's actually possible to test positive for Turinabol after eating tainted kangaroo meat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

yeah those pesky kangaroo farmers putting roids into their farmed kangaroos

:yeah:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

"ladies and gentlemen, for most of us, poop comes out of our butts. what if...poop went into butts instead. i'll start the bidding for my services at 100 million dollars."

Fecal transplants are a thing and I read an academic article about how they do it. There are several methods, ranging from poo pills and turkey basters to more complicated things that crawl up your butt and then poo into it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

It was an in comp sample collected at weigh ins, so no.

The best theory offered so far in the thread is that he was taking it all along but that the dehydration from the weigh-in concentrated the metabolites to more detectable levels.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Timely but there's a documentary on Netflix right now about drug testing and the very first thing that happens is the director asks an anti doping figurehead and former USADA bigwig to tell him how to use steroids and beat tests and he's just like "yeah sure". Then after a period of reflection he decided it would be bad for his reputation to do that, and refers him to his friend who is also extremely willing to help him beat tests and is also the head of Russia's anti doping lab. The whole thing is loving bizarre and like a Coen brothers movie about insane fuckups with tiny nuts

Icarus?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shumagorath posted:

Forgive my ignorance but I've basically been under a rock to avoid McGregor-Mayweather. What's wrong with Coker? Strikeforce had that disaster on CBS but he still did a good job after being handed the EliteXC tire fire from what I remember.

Coker pisses money away on names who have little or no competitive value (Fedor) and values the freak show matchup with a bit of name recognition over actual sport. He seems to value short-term gains over long term planning, and has shown that he'll lead that into disaster.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC September: Important Fights like Struve vs. Volkov

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brendan Schaub's chin is so bad that he gets rocked by harsh words.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

*reads article in huffington post about student loans* WME is hosed dude

UFC September: WME is hosed dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Wait Schaub is considered a loving comedian for having a podcast?

Being a stand up comedian is loving leagues harder than having a podcast.

Joe Rogan told Schaub that Schaub had greater potential as a comedian than as a fighter.

:thejoke:

• Locked thread