Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Sold. Let’s do this.

Bring it on, Grimace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Waxing Nostalgic about MH made me wish I just had more Almost Purposeless But Cute things to do in Destiny.

Maybe...a cooking mini-game in tower by the ramen shack that gives us [one of many buffs] for [1-3 hours] shared with fireteam if you stir in the right ingredients/weapon mods, and have $num_guardians dance in the soup pot

Bonus points if we can become “part of the set” by sitting in all those tables and chairs around there while we eat said dishes

Polish it off with a cold glass of Vex Milk

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
This game was worth the 25 bux i got it for on sale, but god drat i feel bad for anyone who dropped 60 on it, let alone the season pass.

I feel like bungie has zero clue what this game is supposed to be. like, it's a nice lightweight halo-ish shooter with great pve mechanics and a shallow but decent loot system. Which is completely nice and fine and good.

Except they clearly want it to be a social game with competitive pvp and raid content. Yet they literally don't let people talk to each other. Like, there's a fully fleshed out chat system with channels and slash commands and everything, and a team voice chat all built in. Except it doesn't work because they disabled it on purpose. And when they're asked about it they're like "oh it's totally a priority but not the biggest priority, so we'll get to it but it's hard, so stick with us"

Get outta here with that poo poo. It's like they were making another halo game and when they were 99% done some executive got real excited watching his kid playing Warframe, explained what he was seeing over the phone to the lead dev and wouldn't let anyone go home until they put in a bunch of social endgame mechanics.

Anyway, the dude shooting is fun. I feel like I don't "get" the rest of it, or maybe I do?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HATECUBE posted:

o poo poo i dont even have a halfman-dee

hope i can buy it or something. actually i hope a lot of things from this expansion

like i hope there is a better pvp weaponset than mida/uriels/potg

i hope the dlc isnt horse armor

E:{{ actually i would put horse armor on a titan
My scrub tier swears by the Vigilance Wing exotic pulse rifle as fun, cool looking, and effective. Fortunate coincidence I got one right about the same time I found a Minute-42, my currently favorite legendary energy hand cannon. Drop mag and the lucky pants aim assist effect built in certainly don't hurt in PvP. (Meanwhile the Bad News kinetic I adore in PvE with moving target, I'm just garbage with in PvP. And also somehow I'm trash with the Better Devils, welp).

I will also shill for the Skyburner Exotic energy scout forever. Using the MIDA is just too :geno: feeling for me. Nameless Midnight feels cool, but I like having stuff that makes me feel more like a space commando in my Kinetic slot. Killing people using either of those with my little baby red legion gun is the best feeling.

I have the sinking feeling of whatever new guns we get, a legendary version of the Trax Lysis II will not be one of them :saddowns:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 5, 2017

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

When does Bungie usually post patch notes? When they take down the servers? When they come back up?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Peewi posted:

When does Bungie usually post patch notes? When they take down the servers? When they come back up?
While I'm hazy on patch notes (if they ever list such things?) the Blizzard launcher is currently claiming an expected downtime starting at 7:00 AM PST, and "expected" finish time of 10:00 AM PST. So probably longer than that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Legs Benedict posted:

man i defend bungie as much as anyone but this is a loving terrible argument. vanilla D2 didn’t necessarily have to be the equal of AOT D1 but jesus,

if you can’t see how them launching a game in a state where the response to “vanilla D2 sucks” is “well in a couple of years it’ll be better” is hosed up, you should run for a political office
This wasn't what I was saying at all because I think Destiny 2 is fine as is whereas I wanted a refund for Destiny 1.

I read "Vanilla D1 hasn't been a thing for years" as "because time is a thing Vanilla D1 is now old" to which I'm responding with "Yes, and when time continues to move D2 will also eventually be old." Whatever other poo poo you're reading into here is not what I'm saying. I just think D2 is fine and is going to change. I don't have any loving clue if it's going to change for better or worse, I just think Vanilla will end up being different enough that it'll be old because time.

Plus I already complained enough about the XP changes being absolute poo poo and PC players getting 6 weeks cut out of their first season as a money grab so it's not like I feel Bungie is worth defending here.

To sum up, I have the unpopular opinion that Vanilla D2 is fun and Vanilla D1 was poo poo. Whoops!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 5, 2017

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This game was worth the 25 bux i got it for on sale, but god drat i feel bad for anyone who dropped 60 on it,

Ah it's all good, dude, $60 isn't that much money

quote:

let alone the season pass.

Anybody who buys a season pass for a game they haven't played is an idiot, so don't feel bad for them.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i went full retard on the xpansion pass a day before the game came out and idgaf. overwatch stopped working because i have an (((ati card))) and gently caress everything else there is to play on PC. i also had weeks worth of intel from the consolebros so i knew what i was in for

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I paid $55 for the base game and just bought the expansion pass. I feel good

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah I bought in during a GMG sale as well which might explain why I think the game is fine for 45 bucks.
Admittedly I'm in for the expansion but I kinda wish it was pushed back a bit since there's a big fuckin Division patch coming out same day and I hate splitting time between two loot games. (Of course it also doesn't help that instead of eating my Destiny 2 cake all at once like most folks, I've had a slice a week and am on the final slice of the raid right now.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 5, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DaveKap posted:

To sum up, I have the unpopular opinion that Vanilla D2 is fun and Vanilla D1 was poo poo. Whoops!

you're missing the point with admirable tenacity here, though. it doesn't matter that d2 will 'eventually' be fine, because the driving complaint is that 'why is there regression from end of destiny 1 content going into destiny 2?'

it doesn't matter that d2 is currently 'fine', only that launch d2 is for some reason worse than the destiny 1 we stopped playing a week before d2 came out.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

gimme WoW mounts or pets

or like just let me pet the wolves

e: VVVV The Appetizer metaphor is apt. VVVVV

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
calling destiny 2 a cake is disingenuous, destiny 2 is an appetizer at the price of an entree

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I paid for the expansion pass day 1, but I also enjoy this game. Are there disappointing parts of it? Hell yeah. But it's still given me a solid amount of enjoyment so far. There are certainly a lot of other games I could be playing right now that are significantly worse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you're missing the point with admirable tenacity here, though. it doesn't matter that d2 will 'eventually' be fine, because the driving complaint is that 'why is there regression from end of destiny 1 content going into destiny 2?'

it doesn't matter that d2 is currently 'fine', only that launch d2 is for some reason worse than the destiny 1 we stopped playing a week before d2 came out.
Oh, I should've mentioned I never played Destiny 1 past the Vanilla content. I knew people thought that it was good after DLC but since I think D2 is also good, I did completely miss that there was a regression.

I kinda just assumed it was like a Splatoon 1 vs Splatoon 2 kind of thing. The game comes out, it barely has what it's supposed to have, and then they release it over time to keep the game feeling like it's live and also so that they can iterate where need be and pile on the extra content as they have the time to develop it post release. It's not a model I particularly like or enjoy but for Splatoon, it's one I've gotten used to. With Destiny I assumed they'd do the same thing (as they're missing vehicle multiplayer maps and racing) but if it's as egregious as to make people super mad, you've got every right to be mad. I don't like the model, either, I just don't know how much actual regression's going on.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 5, 2017

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

New raid content probably is a Cooking demonstration.

You have to scoop up purple stuff to make a healthy eggplant dish and which requires RPG elements.

Your final mission is to make purple drank out of dimetapp and floor residue. You’re gonna need a shovel and at least 30 minutes.

New Raid is just Iron Chef, but on the Leviathan. You have three 'courses' that rotate each week, and a final 'Iron Challenge' with the purple goop as the ingredient.

I now wonder what Cabal eat.

Waffle House posted:

Waxing Nostalgic about MH made me wish I just had more Almost Purposeless But Cute things to do in Destiny.

Maybe...a cooking mini-game in tower by the ramen shack that gives us [one of many buffs] for [1-3 hours] shared with fireteam if you stir in the right ingredients/weapon mods, and have $num_guardians dance in the soup pot

Bonus points if we can become “part of the set” by sitting in all those tables and chairs around there while we eat said dishes

Polish it off with a cold glass of Vex Milk

Worlds comes out next month.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Because Destiny 2 was being developed for months before coming out. There’s a point at which the systems they settled on for D2 became baked in, and even if they learn later from D1 that there’s a better solution they just have to keep pressing forward with what they have.

Just look at all the changes they’re implementing on the 5th and 12th. I guarantee they didn’t come up with most of those changes just few weeks ago in response to player feedback. I bet they were working on a lot of them before release because, again, they were learning from D1 what works and what doesn’t but they were already locked in with D2’s code and needed to hit their street dates. If you assume that D2’s core gameplay was finalized around, say, Taken King, some of the seemingly “regressive” decisions make a lot more sense.

I’m not saying it makes the problems with D2 okay. There are absolutely issues that need to be addressed. I just wanted to push back on the idea that D2 would somehow be built directly on top of D1 circa September 6, 2017.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Recycle Bin posted:

Because Destiny 2 was being developed for months before coming out. There’s a point at which the systems they settled on for D2 became baked in, and even if they learn later from D1 that there’s a better solution they just have to keep pressing forward with what they have.

Just look at all the changes they’re implementing on the 5th and 12th. I guarantee they didn’t come up with most of those changes just few weeks ago in response to player feedback. I bet they were working on a lot of them before release because, again, they were learning from D1 what works and what doesn’t but they were already locked in with D2’s code and needed to hit their street dates. If you assume that D2’s core gameplay was finalized around, say, Taken King, some of the seemingly “regressive” decisions make a lot more sense.

I’m not saying it makes the problems with D2 okay. There are absolutely issues that need to be addressed. I just wanted to push back on the idea that D2 would somehow be built directly on top of D1 circa September 6, 2017.

what the gently caress are you talking about

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pomp posted:

Development times. Something I wouldn't comment on because I don't work for Bungie, otherwise I'd have a better idea as to their workforce and how much time they actually had to take D1 feedback and loop it into D2 development.

Didn't somebody here say that the Christmas holiday bullshit would start up tomorrow? Is that still a thing?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
I just found out that you cannot buy the expansion pass in battle.net yet, wtf. I need to wait until tomorrow to being able to purchase it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Pomp posted:

"Game developers have multiple teams and these things take time to make" seems to be their thesis statement.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

Pomp posted:

People keep asking why Destiny 2 feels like a step back from Destiny 1. I’m trying to explain why. Calm down.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

El Chingon posted:

I just found out that you cannot buy the expansion pass in battle.net yet, wtf. I need to wait until tomorrow to being able to purchase it.

I bought it fine. I wish I could preload already though

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

el B posted:

Ah it's all good, dude, $60 isn't that much money

Anybody who buys a season pass for a game they haven't played is an idiot, so don't feel bad for them.

How does it feel to be poor, motherfuckers.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Recycle Bin posted:

:agreed:

A lot of the stuff they talked about "fixing" the game with sounded like things that could have, on a lower-sodium timeline, been PLANNED for release after an initial "vanilla" awkward adolescence.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm enjoying the game and just bought the expansion. Playing the game on discord with others who play and like the game is like 1000x better than you'd imagine from reading a thread half full of complaints.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I mean I loved the first 20 levels, what a great campaign and even the first few strikes are very good.

But I also hit a wall around 265 and even though the gameplay is freakin good, I don’t feel the need to login and play until they patch that stuff up. The grind for earning a single extra level is just not fun.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I paid $55 for the base game and just bought the expansion pass. I feel good

I agree :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mean I loved the first 20 levels, what a great campaign and even the first few strikes are very good.

But I also hit a wall around 265 and even though the gameplay is freakin good, I don’t feel the need to login and play until they patch that stuff up. The grind for earning a single extra level is just not fun.

Why not play for "freakin good" gameplay

Like I guess I feel bad for the people who imagined this as a forever game that would fulfill their needs constantly for the rest of their lives like No Man's Sky, but I thought the "Play through all the content, then play on and off every so often when new content comes out" was their intended model until that last announcement about making this game Hobby Grade

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I wonder what it'd be like if Armor pieces were ornamental, and light level only mattered on guns

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Recycle Bin posted:

As a proconsumer, I do feel the need to sympathize with the company that sells me an underbaked product.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

As a proconsumer, I do feel the need to sympathize with the company that sells me an underbaked product.

You can sympathize with the dozens of developers, coders, artists and writers who worked their asses off to make something even if that something sucks rear end. Shocking, I know.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
No we can't, gamers are contractually obligated to be garbage people.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
lovely games don't get 315 page threads filled with people complaining that they ran out of stuff to do.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

:ducksiren: ARE YOU READY??? :ducksiren:

Tomorrow is a new dawn. A new day. The day the game improves.

This is step one in a two year process. And there’s a new thread to commemorate it.

Let’s do this. Take yourself and your 200 Prophet Snows and start posting here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842728&perpage=40

This is the new thread ^^^^^^^

The game is not dead anymore. Undead would be the correct term.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Recycle Bin posted:

You can sympathize with the dozens of developers, coders, artists and writers who worked their asses off to make something even if that something sucks rear end. Shocking, I know.

So many times this. Blame lovely project direction or invasive publisher presence or whatever. It's possible to punch up while retaining solidarity with fellow workers.

Like, to each their own, but I feel satisfied with my D2 purchase. I've gotten a good 40-50 hours out of it so far. The new class/talent system led me to play a class I barely touched before, and the PC port (beyond being a technical marvel after the clan memory leak was fixed) led me to use ARs way more than I did in D1. The XP nerf/anti-chest mechanics are clear and significant failures, but overall I think there's a pretty good framework for future content and I think that the series still has the best gunplay. I'm looking forward to Osiris tomorrow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ponzicar posted:

lovely games don't get 315 page threads filled with people complaining that they ran out of stuff to do.

Pagecount as a measure of quality?

Have you considered taking a look at our lord and savior, Star Citizen

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Pagecount as a measure of quality?

Have you considered taking a look at our lord and savior, Star Citizen

That thing is gonna hit $175 mil this weekend. At this point they're actually selling jpeg deeds for land, for planets that don't exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why not play for "freakin good" gameplay

It says right there I don’t feel the need to do it man

I’m not complaining here, game was great but right now I don’t see their strategy being very successful (the whole “this game could last you forever!”)

• Locked thread