Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Current chapter: #58 (03/30)
New chapters usually once a month every few months, around the 10th, 20th or 30th.

This thread is about the Made in Abyss manga.
If you want to discuss the anime, please visit dogsicle's thread. Thread closed because of people getting too excited.
Spoilers are expected, so catch up first to join the conversation.

Made in Abyss is a manga by Akihito Tsukushi, published in the digital magazine Web Comic Gamma since 2012.
It revolves around the mysterious Abyss, a giant hole of unknown depth. Artifacts with unexplainable properties can be found within, which attracts Spelunkers to look for them.

Main Characters

Riko
Heroine of the story. A 12-year old girl aspiring to become a White Whistle like her mother, who disappeared in the Abyss 10 years ago.
Can cook delicious meals single-handedly.

Reg
A robot boy found by Riko after blasting a beast trying to eat her. Comes from deep within the Abyss and might have a connection to Riko's mother, but has lost all memory of it.
Prefers hairy girls.

Nanachi
A Narehate girl that joins Riko and Reg's journey to the bottom later on.
Loves good food. Expert in bioethics.

Prushka
Adopted daughter of superdad Bondrewd.
Decides to hang around with Riko and the gang.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I want a Bondrewd figure

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Instead of doing something sensible I decided to skip to the latest chapters instead of going in order after watching the first few episodes of the anime.

I'm greeted with a cute animal seemingly crushed to death by an oblivious monster person. Crush so hard that its eyes bulge out and it shits its own intestines Pretty loving hardcore. I should probably read it, but the anime is beautiful and has great fitting music.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Instead of doing something sensible I decided to skip to the latest chapters instead of going in order after watching the first few episodes of the anime.

I'm greeted with a cute animal seemingly crushed to death by an oblivious monster person. Crush so hard that its eyes bulge out and it shits its own intestines Pretty loving hardcore. I should probably read it, but the anime is beautiful and has great fitting music.

You should read the first three pages of chapter 41 then for some peace of mind. Also no need to spoiler here.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 2, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

El Burbo posted:

I want a Bondrewd figure
Bondrewd and Ozen fuckin' ruled and I hope we eventually get to see the other White Whistles in action. Judging by the two we've already met, living a lot of your life in the lower levels just warps the hell out of you on top of the cult-like society the Abyss already encourages.

In latest events he marketplace/economy based on intristic value is a fuckin' great idea. In the latest chapter though I lost the meaning a little: Are all of those old funerary tags, or are there currently a huge amount falling all at once suggesting a massive disaster on the surface?

Also I'm just gonna get this out of the way: I'm totally on-board with like 80~90% of this series, the art is great, the world is fantastic and the story has been sweet so far and has gone way faster than I thought it would which rules. But god drat that last 10% of weird sex jokes and scat just breaks my mood right out whenever it comes up. Okay there I'm done.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pierson posted:

Bondrewd and Ozen fuckin' ruled and I hope we eventually get to see the other White Whistles in action. Judging by the two we've already met, living a lot of your life in the lower levels just warps the hell out of you on top of the cult-like society the Abyss already encourages.

In latest events he marketplace/economy based on intristic value is a fuckin' great idea. In the latest chapter though I lost the meaning a little: Are all of those old funerary tags, or are there currently a huge amount falling all at once suggesting a massive disaster on the surface?

Also I'm just gonna get this out of the way: I'm totally on-board with like 80~90% of this series, the art is great, the world is fantastic and the story has been sweet so far and has gone way faster than I thought it would which rules. But god drat that last 10% of weird sex jokes and scat just breaks my mood right out whenever it comes up. Okay there I'm done.

I don't know if the crazy is just a prerequisite to survive long enough to become a White Whistle. Bondrewd still knew the name of every single canned kid.

Those are fresh tags. That birthday curse is taking its toll.
This chapter just had to end on a lot of possible plot threads.
Is it really Mitty? Is Faputa going full on yandere? Who's the big daddy guy? Will Riko get off the toilet?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caught up with the manga. What the gently caress am I looking at. Goddamn, I have never seen anything so gross. The Abyss is just so disgusting, alien, brutal, and hostile. It genuinely looks like hell and freaks me the gently caress out.

I can't wait to see what it really looks like in the anime. gently caress, I need more chapters.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

I also caught up on the manga today. Like, chapters 21-current over the last few hours. I can't remember the last piece of media that made me feel so viscerally disturbed. I love the worldbuilding and art and characters and sense of adventure, but god drat the author thinks up some absolutely horrifying stuff.

I need to watch something happy before I can sleep now, and might need to get drunk.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The anime's really going to just barely cover Nanachi.

Expected chapter coverage:
  • 6: 13-15: Riko's a zombie baby exposition, Ozen fight
  • 7: 16-17: Lyza backstory, training
  • 8: 18-19: Third layer, Splitjaw and Riko getting skewered, Nanachi cliffhanger
  • 9: 20-21: Nanachi's hut, Mitty introduction, Riko treatment
  • 10: 22-22 : Nature of the curse, Revengefight, "Please kill Mitty for me"
  • 11: 23-24: Nanachi backstory, Goodbye Mitty
  • 12: 25-26.5 : Riko recovering and cooking, preparations, ending at the flowerfield before the Praying Hand shows up.

And that hut looks like Mitty.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

El Burbo posted:

I want a Bondrewd figure

with the big furry arms and tail, yeah

Pierson posted:

i love how the little friend they picked up after bonedrewd just kind of poops occasionally. its not like brought up at all. the thing just poops

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 4, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Speaking of old chapters I did a re-read and I can't believe I forgot the massive hanging plot-line of the die-off. From the dilation effect Ozen talks about it seems likely a ton of time has passed for the team and the 2000-year event is rolling around again.

Theory: Every 2000 years the forcefield around the top of the Abyss fails and two things happen:

1) The Curse boils up in full-strength to encompass the entire island. Children are dying first because they're weakest but eventually it will fail entirely and that will be it for everyone on the surface. It's currently killing them specifically on their birthdays because I dunno that seems like the kind of arbitrary poo poo the Curse does. The extra chapter showed the child getting better when they were taken to the offshore fleet, away from the Abyss.

2) By the fact that they're finding sea-ships and wildmills pointing downward I think somehow the entire island's surface gets sucked down into the Abyss like a giant hosed-up treadmill. The cities etc will become the new first layer, the surface will become pristine again etc ready for new colonisation. The praying skeletons are those who escaped a previous city being sucked down and then tried (and failed) to hide from the Curse.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 4, 2017

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012

College Slice

Pierson posted:

2) By the fact that they're finding sea-ships and wildmills pointing downward I think somehow the entire island's surface gets sucked down into the Abyss like a giant hosed-up treadmill. The cities etc will become the new first layer, the surface will become pristine again etc ready for new colonisation. The praying skeletons are those who escaped a previous city being sucked down and then tried (and failed) to hide from the Curse.

That would actually explain a lot about why, after literal centuries, there are still artifacts to be found in the first layer.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

We're shown ships embedded in the Abyss twice: There's one that is absolutely a sea-faring ship they rest on in I think the third or fourth layer just before Riku gets stung. The other is the one at the upper reaches of the first layer the instructors use as a waypoint that's explicitly called a 'Stone Ark'. The upside-down forest could also be the result of a regular forest from generations past that got dragged down (Ozen's house is a tree whose roots reach the ocean above). Now we're in the sixth layer that looks like a whole bunch of building crammed together at every angle and is explicitly called the 'City of the Unreturned'. Narehate certainly didn't build them.

I think the sixth layer is where each calamity eventually dumps the island civilisations. If we actually do get an answer to 'what is the bottom of the Abyss' and it's an actual location and not a metaphysical/spiritual concept I think it's some kind of engine that drives the whole process.

I mean I could be totally reaching and it's all just very cool visuals but the series has had great and consistent lore so far, I don't put it past them.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Tsukushi Akihito Interview at Yahoo Japan (Japanese)

Highlight:

Volume 2 wasn't selling well, so he was told to think about a way to wrap it up while writing the volume 3 chapters.
He decided to make Nanachi a really fun character. Mysteriously volume 3 was well received.
Bondrewd is actually read like Bondred. Don't know where the translators got the W from.
When he first came up with her character, he planned for her and Bondred to kill each other.
When developing her further, he decided against it, as 3 characters are more interesting than just 2.

Riko decision to keep descending is described as a thrilling suicide. He contrasts it to living a normal, boring life, only to die regretting not to have done something.
Riko decided to climb down.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Bondrewd is actually read like Bondred. Don't know where the translators got the W from.

And Mitty is actually Meaty (Miiti?). The first i is long and there's no double consonant:

ミーティ

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

When he first came up with her character, he planned for her and Bondred to kill each other.

She does say as much

Bondrwd is glad it didn't turn out that way and so am i

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The last arc drove me nuts because my stupid hosed-up posting brain kept reading Bondrewd as Bonedude.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

I read this entire manga in one day and some pretty visceral stuff happens.

So did Bonedude go below his base and come back again with his suitcases full of children technology? Or has he never been lower than that point where he currently is?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ganty posted:

I read this entire manga in one day and some pretty visceral stuff happens.

So did Bonedude go below his base and come back again with his suitcases full of children technology? Or has he never been lower than that point where he currently is?

His original body went down to become his white whistle and the one with the tail should have been down before.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Read it all in one sitting. Goddamn, Bondrewd getting his poo poo packed was so amazingly satisfying.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

bonedude did a lot of packing alright

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Pierson posted:

Bondrewd and Ozen fuckin' ruled and I hope we eventually get to see the other White Whistles in action.

Wish we'd seen Ozen in action. There's something amazingly alien in the way she continously shifts from tall & lanky to imposing hunchback.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Invoking fairy dust is not a crime.

Uncle Khasim posted:

Read it all in one sitting. Goddamn, Bondrewd getting his poo poo packed was so amazingly satisfying.

Dude only wants to survive the 2000-years cycle and witness a new dawn. All his backpack helpers were doomed anyways.

Vote Bondrewd for president!

Anyways, this series has great subtle (not so much at the start) world-building and everything seems to make sense.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 10, 2017

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

I feel like the manga drew me in with promises of interesting artifacts which would power up the main character and do interesting stuff but actually it is a study of the tragic downfall of man.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Entire Freakin' John Galt Speech

Mango Polo posted:

Wish we'd seen Ozen in action. There's something amazingly alien in the way she continously shifts from tall & lanky to imposing hunchback.
Won't we see it in the anime?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

She should whoop Reg's rear end in today's episode.

-e-
Or next week, if they take their time with the exposition.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 11, 2017

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

OK, no fight this week and only 1.5 chapters covered.
I hope they don't cut anything about Nanachi's arc.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I meant in the field & her body alterations, like the needles. Though seeing her wreck Reg so casually should be pretty hilarious animated.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012

College Slice

Where does today's episode end? Can't watch it right now but people were worried about how, if they don't get to the reveal, it'll be an episode where nothing happens.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Where does today's episode end? Can't watch it right now but people were worried about how, if they don't get to the reveal, it'll be an episode where nothing happens.

Immediately as they enter Ozen's chamber with the cube.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nnaaaa

https://twitter.com/irorikigaku/status/893081779510403072

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pretty sure we won't see Nanachi next episode.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Well that got (even more) bleak.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

When looking up the DVD release, I could actually confirm there being 13 episodes and that they're going to sell the series in two boxes.
First one (1-7) at the end of October and the second one (8-13) at the end of December.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I made this avatar

subarashii

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

i thought that was ok hand emoji for a moment

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

El Burbo posted:

I made this avatar

subarashii

It's better now.

-e-
VVV
excellent

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 19, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 5, 2011

GROSS BOY

Space Flower posted:

i thought that was ok hand emoji for a moment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

What a charming unbelievable piece of poo poo