Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jesus loving christ the narehate village is such a cool setting!!!!!!
i'm really looking forward to this arc, hope it lasts a little while

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

may I please have this:

dolled up like the Bondrewd one except giving a thumbs-up instead

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Will we be okay in the depths of the abyss Srajo?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

El Burbo posted:

Will we be okay in the depths of the abyss Srajo?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

Having marathoned the entire series so far: Does anyone else think that the bulk of the artifacts are some sort of demonic eggs, which hatch and bring down the apocalypse on the outside world in 2000 year cycles? I'm getting really heavy parallels to Vinges Zones of Thought series here.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rime posted:

Having marathoned the entire series so far: Does anyone else think that the bulk of the artifacts are some sort of demonic eggs, which hatch and bring down the apocalypse on the outside world in 2000 year cycles? I'm getting really heavy parallels to Vinges Zones of Thought series here.

I'm guessing that artifacts are made of people, considering the stones white whistles are made of are people, too. The lower quality artifacts near the surface are just fresher. The effects are decided similar to what form Narehate take, but take a long time to "crystallize".

The Abyss has been rediscovered about 100 years after the last disaster, so that makes a global effect unlikely.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Anime ED: Nanachi version

https://my.mixtape.moe/tghiru.mp3

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There are a few new pages in the sixth volume.
The first one feature two sisters, Sherumi and Menae, in a museum talking about the writing system of the Abyss.

The writing system we see is just a substitution cipher that looks quite similar to katakana if you compare them, btw. The staff credits in the opening all have the reading in Abyss script behind them.

The second one, sandwiched between the Jiruo Extra chapter and Chapter 42:

quote:

Hey, Sherumi...
I want to go again... to the museum...

That was one of the nametags Reg found at the end of Chapter 42.
The crescent shape with a little dot within a circle on the nametags also mean "Abyss".

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/ayumu3659/status/901332364357287936

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/tukushiA/status/901131214765006848

New content for episode 9.

How much will they rush or cut in Nanachi's arc?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I guess they're gonna stretch the third layer, one chapter, into a whole episode

Kay

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

i think that's a good use of the anime's strengths so far, tbh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I can see that. It's really pretty and has good sound/music, but for actual plot and characters the manga has it beat. Getting something on the order of the first episode would be a good use of their resources and give the anime an advantage.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012

College Slice

I understand the idea, since it was weird to rush through an entire layer (1/6th of the Abyss) in a single chapter.

On the other hand it's basically a big hole in the ground so I wonder what they'll be adding. Nanachi gets farther away every week.

Futaba Anzu
May 5, 2011

GROSS BOY

Edsger W. Dijkstra
May 2, 2007

man, that Bandrewd guy was the best villain I'd seen in a long time. So hateable yet likeable at the same time. And so... driven

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I can't read Japon but this something about a 60 minute special, and people are saying it's getting a theatrical release

Bonedad???

Though I don't know if that can fit in 60 min

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Bonedad???

Though I don't know if that can fit in 60 min

We are only getting the Splitjaw refight and cut content from the 3rd layer today, so the special will probably be just Riko's recovery and their departure.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

If the previous episode ends on meeting Prushka and the special starts at the compound they could probably do it, the whole thing was ten chapters in the comic. It's a really dense though so the worry is a bunch of scenes would have their impact taken away by shortening them.

edit; oh nevermind, I thought the special was coming out in like a month or something

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Since the anime kind of spoiled Kiyui's fate I reread the special chapter featuring his illness and stumbled over Shiggy's story about there being two more layers of skeletons at the tower in the first layer.

If he's not bullshitting, this would make the theory of the top becoming the new first layer a bit inconsistent. Why would 6000 year old skeletons be at the first layer?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010

Switchblade Switcharoo

It just means one cataclysm doesn't equate one layer of abyss. If the map's ratios are right you need roughly three times the current surface city, ie 6000 years worth of cataclysm, to make that first layer.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Chev posted:

It just means one cataclysm doesn't equate one layer of abyss. If the map's ratios are right you need roughly three times the current surface city, ie 6000 years worth of cataclysm, to make that first layer.

Wouldn't this mean people fled to the first layer during the last cataclysm? The tower is at ~300m depth. At +15km this interpolates to a total age of at least 300k years.
I'd still say each cataclysm creates one new layer, but until the last one, the tower used to be above ground. The skeletons at the tower are only those that died because of the birthday curse. Those who died during the cataclysm itself are the skeletons that are spread throughout.
Since there was no tower anymore, the new settlers of the Abyss started to cremate and spread the ashes of the dead instead.

The anime also made the entrance to the third layer tiny.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010

Switchblade Switcharoo

Lurking Haro posted:

Wouldn't this mean people fled to the first layer during the last cataclysm?
What? I don't get what you're trying to say.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Chev posted:

What? I don't get what you're trying to say.

All the skeletons are in the first layer. Why would they climb down to die?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010

Switchblade Switcharoo

Lurking Haro posted:

All the skeletons are in the first layer. Why would they climb down to die?

Well no, the idea is that the layers are sinking further down like a treadmill of doom. Surface gets wrecked, people die praying on said surface, everything sinks, becoming the top of the revised first layer, leaving a clean surface to colonize again.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

We also need to consider the horizontal windmills having been used 4000 years ago.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rime posted:

We also need to consider the horizontal windmills having been used 4000 years ago.

Don't forget the ship stuck in the wall of the third layer.

Chev posted:

Well no, the idea is that the layers are sinking further down like a treadmill of doom. Surface gets wrecked, people die praying on said surface, everything sinks, becoming the top of the revised first layer, leaving a clean surface to colonize again.

I'm only challenging the note of the cataclysm not moving layer for layer.
People don't seem to move skeletons they find, so the skeletons at the tower were already there. The tower was either a shelter for people during the cataclysm or a mass grave for those dying because of the birthday curse.
People also don't build in the first layer, so any structure there is from the former surface. There being three layers of skeletons suggest that people used that place for the last three cataclysm, but only the last one put it into the first layer of the Abyss.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

Weren't the corpses in the tower all praying, though? Seems they wouldn't be curse victims if that's the case. Maybe it's some kind of dimensional vortex, explaining why there's a pirate ship embedded in a wall 6700 meters down. Or it's all a metaphor .

Jeeze, realizing it took like 5 years to get to Bondrewed is powerfully sad. Knowing there's at least two more whistle arcs and that by the time we get through them I'll be like 40.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 5, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Srajo is so mysterious the comic will end without him ever appearing

Chev
Jul 19, 2010

Switchblade Switcharoo

Lurking Haro posted:

People also don't build in the first layer, so any structure there is from the former surface. There being three layers of skeletons suggest that people used that place for the last three cataclysm, but only the last one put it into the first layer of the Abyss.
What I'm saying is there's not just three layers of skeletons, there's (at least) three layers of tower. Sank right down and each new civilization built on top of the previous one.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 5, 2017

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Rime posted:

They might have been regular windmills that got sucked inward so that they're now horizontal. I should go back and look at their design to see if that's a possibility.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

fairlight posted:

They might have been regular windmills that got sucked inward so that they're now horizontal. I should go back and look at their design to see if that's a possibility.

That would also explain the upside down forest.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Preview on the MiA website is out and this episode will end with Nanachi showing up to stop Reg butchering Riko completely.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The arm cutting and bone breaking with the awful swollen hand is probably the moment I've found most horrifying in this series, even more than children soup. Probably because it's more raw and real.

I hope it's animated good

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

El Burbo posted:

I hope it's animated good

The curse stuff was kind of eh, but the arm was absolutely gruesome. drat.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

So we're really only getting three episodes of Nanachi, huh? Dang.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

So we're really only getting three episodes of Nanachi, huh? Dang.

Last episode is double length, so it's almost like 4 episodes of Nanachi.

I wonder what Mitty will be like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lurking Haro posted:

Last episode is double length, so it's almost like 4 episodes of Nanachi.

I wonder what Mitty will be like.

I cannot loving wait for Mitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Took a look at this T-shirt and couldn't help but to notice the similarity to a digestive tract:

First layer is the mouth; second layer bypasses the lungs, that's also why it's windy.
Third layer is the esophagus, fourth layer is the stomach including some acid.
Fifth layer has all the enzymes turning everything into goo and the sixth layer is when everything finally loses its form.

It is said only white whistles and sweet corn ever reach the seventh layer intact.