Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dick Burglar posted:

Countdown til ATF decides that's a foregrip and he gets hosed harder than those anime babes oh right ir is a cop he'll be fine

They're actually laughing at how the slide doesn't even extend past the receiver. So short!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

They're actually laughing at how the slide doesn't even extend past the receiver. So short!

That's because it is currently in vogue to min-max slide length with comps to tame the awesome and catastrophic muzzle climb of 9mm.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

That's because it is currently in vogue to min-max slide length with comps to tame the awesome and catastrophic muzzle climb of 9mm.

The raw power of 9mm will give you temporary PTSD.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dick Burglar posted:

Countdown til ATF decides that's a foregrip and he gets hosed harder than those anime babes oh right ir is a cop he'll be fine

ATF don't give a poo poo who your are. They're hungry.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

3D printed gun trolls are playing chess while you're playing checkers:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

"The ATF has determined" also means "the ATF can change their minds in an instant," so I fail to see what good that does other than make you feel smug while the ATF kicks down your door and shoots your dog.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Not me printing probable cause in my garage for the lulz, but I appreciate that the people who are have fully committed to the bit.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

Lol, if itís so easy to buy cocaine in America why do I never have any? Maybe Iím just not cool enough.

Also, it would be pretty straightforward to make it difficult to print lightning links and other categories of useful gun parts. Donít believe me? Try to scan and print a $20 bill. Photoshop will choke on it and even if Gimp doesnít the embedded software on your printer will.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Scanning money is stopped via the EURion constellation, a specific array of dots on the bills. All modern scanners and printers are programmed to recognize those dots and immediately stop what they're doing. I'm not sure how you'd stop someone from 3D-printing a simple geometric shape beyond barring that specific shape, and it wouldn't be hard for modelers to find a way around that, like adding an extra tab or something that can easily be snapped off.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

Difficult, not impossible. Plus Iíd expect some fun classifiers that may check in with Ďinterestingí near-misses.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

The Ender 3 printer's firmware is open source. It's impossible to prevent people from just printing whatever they want.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Remulak posted:

Difficult, not impossible. Plus Iíd expect some fun classifiers that may check in with Ďinterestingí near-misses.

Still talking about a 2D image program picking up a simple pattern designed to be picked up in that specific circumstance vs. a huge series of 3D images in which you will need to determine your own patterns to detect and constantly update to account for new and modified designs. They aren't actually very comparable situations.

And people still print money - it's one of the most common forms of counterfeiting out there and given how many people get caught sloppily printing bills it seems the "how do I scan and print an image of my money" thing seems to be wayyyyy down on the list of complicated issues compared to duplicating the look and feel of real money to the point somebody is willing to take it and not immediately call the cops because somebody tried to hand them monopoly money.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 1, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The solution is obviously to 3D print money.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

If you want to print money, open a feet onlyfans.

In gun law news (local to NJ)
https://nj2as.org/another-nj2as-victory-nj-state-police-digitize-firearm-id-card/

Looks like NJ is digitizing the FID cards going forward which so what they started doing with pistol purchase permits last October and the entire application process last year.

Iím sure each township will continue to have their own process for application (examples such as: you have to schedule an interview with the chief of police before they process your application) which is still a major headache for some people, but it seems like a step in the right direction?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A winner has been announced for the NGSW (Next Generation Space Weapon):

https://twitter.com/HiPointFirearms/status/1377630406741217287

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

Naked Bear posted:

The Ender 3 printer's firmware is open source. It's impossible to prevent people from just printing whatever they want.
poo poo now I want to make an open source Ďsupport material minimizerí that fucks up auto sears just for fun. Itís trivial for individuals, much less nation-states, to subvert open source projects. We are way past the point where useful code is easy to understand, ESPECIALLY if itís big and complex, thus useful.

When there are M+ git clones 19/20 of the actual contributors could be NSA and you never know. If youíve been involved with something like this think about all those contributions to the odd and hairy math or register management that would take months to really understand if you had the time, and imagine if all of those were coordinated to obsfucate. If the math gets past a certain point, E. G. elliptics, you could do a lot to figure it out, even compiling then decompiling then pushing to really clever matlab and STILL have no idea.

Yes this is SA and somebodies here could see past one or two such schemes but you canít be everywhere, and all those dickheads you knew in grad school are the 19/20 mentioned above. Youíre the 1,and this isnít even your job!

Plus if youíre using a PC you have (simplified) best-case microcode and BIOS running around,and each peripheral has a by-90s-standards beefy micro running all the time, and on and on....

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

A winner has been announced for the NGSW (Next Generation Space Weapon):

https://twitter.com/HiPointFirearms/status/1377630406741217287

Oooooh, it was April Fools.

Was scratching my head about that all day.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Well, poo poo, this happened.

https://www.thegazette.com/iowa-constitutional-carry-gun-permits-gov-kim-reynolds-20210402

I've personally been a victim of racist sheriffs denying me a yes-they-white permit, so this is an amazing win out of nowhere. Acquisition permits are now optional, and people have the option of doing a NICS check at each purchase like everywhere else now.

Every news source is fixating on the constitutional carry part, but no longer requiring acquisition permits is huge from a racism/classism standpoint.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 2, 2021

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

Well, poo poo, this happened.

https://www.thegazette.com/iowa-constitutional-carry-gun-permits-gov-kim-reynolds-20210402

I've personally been a victim of racist sheriffs denying me a yes-they-white permit, so this is an amazing win out of nowhere. Acquisition permits are now optional, and people have the option of doing a NICS check at each purchase like everywhere else now.

Every news source is fixating on the constitutional carry part, but no longer requiring acquisition permits is huge from a racism/classism standpoint.

Shall not be infringed

I wish more states would grant it. I'd sign up for a magazine capacity limit if it meant nationwide CCW.

And it applied to police.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's something that only ever been used as a way to deny guns based on race, but news stations are already flipping their lids on "NO MORE BACKGROUND CHECKS" poo poo they just made up in their minds.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

It was lol to see some Iowa rep melting down on their twitter about this moving forward before and after they paused to note trans day of visibility, then went right back to the Appeal To Authority approach with BUT COPS LIKE THIS LAW!!!

Like lmao you're not a loving ally to us, and you sure aren't an ally to #blacklivesmatter, take that poo poo out of your bio.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Local news is just blowing the hell up, and none of it has anything to do with law changes that actually happened. Everyone is just making up increasingly bizarre poo poo. It's all such brazenly racist nonsense about blacks being gun touchers that it looks like satire.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The consent manufacturing apparatus must not be hindered, max power! Atomic turbines to speed! Throw the switch Igor, throw the loving switch!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Remulak posted:

poo poo now I want to make an open source Ďsupport material minimizerí that fucks up auto sears just for fun. Itís trivial for individuals, much less nation-states, to subvert open source projects. We are way past the point where useful code is easy to understand, ESPECIALLY if itís big and complex, thus useful.

When there are M+ git clones 19/20 of the actual contributors could be NSA and you never know. If youíve been involved with something like this think about all those contributions to the odd and hairy math or register management that would take months to really understand if you had the time, and imagine if all of those were coordinated to obsfucate. If the math gets past a certain point, E. G. elliptics, you could do a lot to figure it out, even compiling then decompiling then pushing to really clever matlab and STILL have no idea.

Yes this is SA and somebodies here could see past one or two such schemes but you canít be everywhere, and all those dickheads you knew in grad school are the 19/20 mentioned above. Youíre the 1,and this isnít even your job!

Plus if youíre using a PC you have (simplified) best-case microcode and BIOS running around,and each peripheral has a by-90s-standards beefy micro running all the time, and on and on....

I don't want to be mean, but I think you're talking out of your rear end, iterative design is already a thing for printing because it takes no money and almost no effort to modify something to improve it. Plus you're looking at a similar model to antivirus vs viruses, for every one model you could prevent from working you're looking at twenty that will bypass it, especially when you consider that the advanced technology needed to put finishing touches on a 3d printed object is a... *checks notes* file, exacto knife, or sandpaper.

For the database idea, aside from it being an obvious 4A violation, I absolutely see people trolling by making the most complicated gcode they can and automating starting and then cancelling prints so that the government has rapidly-growing petabytes of junk data that they're having to run through some sort of reverse-engineering algorithm to see what the part is. And they will be some of the most elaborately-engineered penis models ever seen by man.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 3, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A blooming, fractal dildo, lovingly recreating a cock and balls, and when you zoom in, the smallest reducible units are lightning links and auto sears... millions of them.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

While funny, that sounds like a pretty good way to get the anti-sex crusaders to start backing gun control. They're already bad enough.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't want to be mean, but I think you're talking out of your rear end...
100% correct Iím talking out of my rear end. Iíd call it spitballing or something but yeah.

I know nothing about 3D printing but I do know a shitload about a few related fields so I was thinking about attack vectors I would use. The attacks I was thinking about above canít prevent this kinda poo poo, thatís impossible. The purpose is to make it more difficult and, if illegal, increase peopleís perception that they can get caught when some unlucky idiots get 10 years.

As for the microcode issue and the way every IO device - and battery - now having its own nontrivial processor, this is real. I donít work for govít or defense (or banks) but I DO need to understand how federal security standards work for software and devices. And the new standard (FIPS 140-3, basically) is taking this very, very seriously, down to validations of RLC components.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Biden wants David Chipman to head the ATF.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/4/7/22372580/biden-to-nominate-gun-control-advocate-david-chipman-lead-atf

I knew he was a piece of poo poo, but this is a new low.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

Capn Beeb posted:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/4/7/22372580/biden-to-nominate-gun-control-advocate-david-chipman-lead-atf

Just heard on NPR that tomorrow Biden will executive order "ghost guns" and pistol braces... because clearly those are actual things in the scope of gun violence.

Doing "something"

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Capn Beeb posted:

No, it's cool, Chipman is a gun owner

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Hasselblad posted:

Just heard on NPR that tomorrow Biden will executive order "ghost guns" and pistol braces... because clearly those are actual things in the scope of gun violence.

Doing "something"

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/07/politics/biden-executive-actions-guns/index.html

Yeah - I'll be curious what can be EO'd

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

Nothing like addressing illegal gun activities quite like instantly creating illegal gun activities.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, I'm very unimpressed.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

It's was leaked. Executive Actions, not orders. So, it's barely a step above literally doing nothing.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ealth-epidemic/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

This part is good:

quote:

Five federal agencies are making changes to 26 different programs to direct vital support to community violence intervention programs as quickly as possible. These changes mean we can start increasing investments in community violence interventions as we wait on Congress to appropriate additional funds.

Also calling on congress to fund intervention, community support programs, and employment programs. Which actually like... would for real do a thing.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Steeltalon posted:

It's was leaked. Executive Actions, not orders. So, it's barely a step above literally doing nothing.

That community one is loving rich coming from the party that took a nice hearty poo poo all over the idea of raising the minimum wage.

More cops in more communities that are already routine victims of police violence doesn't help anyone but people who treat 911 like customer service.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Itís possible the document is a complete lie, but the community funds is expressly not cops at all, unless I missed that verbiage.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

mlmp08 posted:

Itís possible the document is a complete lie, but the community funds is expressly not cops at all, unless I missed that verbiage.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-interventions/ posted:

DOJ will make CVI a priority focus area in its FY21 Cops Hiring Program, a $156 million competitive grant program that funds entry-level law enforcement officers.

DOJ will give priority to applicants proposing CVI strategies in its FY21 Smart Policing program, which provides $8 million in funding, training, and technical assistance for law enforcement to use data and technology to respond to crime.

DOJ will include CVI as a topic area in its FY21 Community Policing Development (CPD) Micro-Grants, a $3 million program that supports innovative community policing strategies.

DOJ will make clear to all judicial districts that they can support CVI programs through Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN) funding and technical assistance.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Steeltalon posted:

Yeah these are basically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is he still moving forward with appointing a Waco apologist and gun control lobbyist as head of the ATF