Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm still waiting on my Big Book of Shitlaws that the ATF was supposed to send me with my C&R.

They don't do that any more. IIRC now they send you a few pdfs on a CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm still waiting on my Big Book of Shitlaws that the ATF was supposed to send me with my C&R.

I just got mine a couple weeks ago even though I got my C&R in the mail a while back. The packet also included a xeroxed form letter that effectively said "sorry you had to wait for this, we ran out and had to print more"

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

This is somehow even dumber than our laws. Full round of applause for the proud state of Maryland!

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Wasnt the original Cali ban literally just pointing at stuff that looked scary from a stack of guns and ammo magazines?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

I think a KAC rail is banned by name as an assault rifle

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Pursesnatcher posted:

This is somehow even dumber than our laws. Full round of applause for the proud state of Maryland!

Here's a fun find on the banlist, the Chinese Polytech M1A variant, because it's in metric, is not banned because it doesn't have interchangeable parts with the english measurements for the Springfield M1A.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Steeltalon posted:

Wasnt the original Cali ban literally just pointing at stuff that looked scary from a stack of guns and ammo magazines?

IIRC that was Canada's ban. I think CA's list was built by a panel of "experts" who did slightly more research.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

astropika posted:

They actually tried to ban by "series" in California, the AK and AR "series" which was held to mean anything similar, this was in response to off-list lowers, but it got nullified by Harrott v. County of Kings in 2001 which said they had to name all members of the 'series' for it to be prosecutable.

Oh yeah, back with them CADOJ could just add a gun to the ban list without action of the legislative branch.\

Didn't they try that in Mass pretty recently?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

MrTuffPaws posted:

Didn't they try that in Mass pretty recently?

No. The AG decided that the state's AWB ~intended~ to prohibit all AR-15 pattern rifles regardless of features and that citizens of the Commonwealth needed to stop buying them, dealers needed to stop selling them, and the cops needed to start enforcing. Despite a couple decades of precedent that ban-compliant ARs were fine.

http://www.mass.gov/ago/news-and-updates/press-releases/2016/2016-07-20-assault-weapons-enforcement.html

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Dogbrisket posted:

IIRC that was Canada's ban. I think CA's list was built by a panel of "experts" who did slightly more research.

Slightly...

Steyer AUG
Arsenal SLG (always been the SGL I think?)
Knights RAS

Interesting to note that the official assault weapons identification guide was never updated with the result of Harrott so it still says that any AR-15 (page 72) or AK47 (page 67) is an assault weapon per Kasler:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/awguide.pdf

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DC has been denied its request for an en-banc review of Wrenn v. DC, where the DC Circuit Court of Appeals required that DC should have shall-issue CCW permits. Now the question is if it will be appealed to the Supreme Court.

http://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Document.pdf

e: a better link https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.0bff9f7e63ac

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 29, 2017

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Hey, that's great news!

On the opposite end of the scale, let me bring y'all some UK news.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/huge-arsenal-weapons-posing-significant-13671590

TL;DR (UK version):
A weapons fanatic was caught with a huge arsenal of illegal weapons and a vast hoard of dangerous ammunition – a significant threat to the public.
Justice has been served, but if you suspect firearm offenders in your area, call the Ministry of Justice today.

TL;DR (human version):
Some old dude kept six airguns, one old shotgun and a some surplus rifle ammo in his house, so SWAT broke down his door and hauled him off to five years behind bars.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Sensible restrictions on firearms.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Pursesnatcher posted:

Hey, that's great news!

On the opposite end of the scale, let me bring y'all some UK news.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/huge-arsenal-weapons-posing-significant-13671590

TL;DR (UK version):
A weapons fanatic was caught with a huge arsenal of illegal weapons and a vast hoard of dangerous ammunition – a significant threat to the public.
Justice has been served, but if you suspect firearm offenders in your area, call the Ministry of Justice today.

TL;DR (human version):
Some old dude kept six airguns, one old shotgun and a some surplus rifle ammo in his house, so SWAT broke down his door and hauled him off to five years behind bars.

Lol, he would've probably gotten less time if he was a gang member who assaulted someone with a knife...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/six-men-convicted-sentenced-edgware-8954498.amp

That said Fuuuuuck that retarded island...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMPIN' ON INTO THE POWER LINES

Exciting Lemon

Anyone ever have to play with registering a self manufactured gun in a state with awful ban laws? I didn't realize how awful CT is about semi-automatics and at this point its cheaper for to make an assembly that will take AR-15 mags and barrels then it is to find a lower. Would make the entire thing CT feature compliant too. And if i'm machining it I may as well machine and pay the tax stamp on a silencer too right? This whole project is spiraling with feature creep but i'm now on the road for wanting it simply to be obstinate to stupid state law.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cyrano4747 posted:

We used to have some Brits. I don't know where they wandered off to but they crop up now and again.

Hey, UK here. I lurk mostly because guns are interesting, but I only ever shoot very rarely (clay pidgeon/skeet). It's a very niche hobby here, the average person will think you're a nutter for owning a gun unless you're a farmer.

Law is it stands is roughly:

Shotguns: Relatively easy to get a license, poo poo out of luck if you've ever had a serious criminal conviction, has to be stored and carried securely. You have to do an interview with the police for the license, if you even think about saying you want a gun for self defence, no gun for you. 3 round maximum for semi-autos

Rifles: Similar but stricter restrictions to shotguns, pretty much have to be a farmer/member of a hunting club. Nothing over .22, nothing automatic. Likely to go to jail immediately if caught carrying it, even unloaded, anywhere you don't have explicit permission.

Pistols: Lol no. Nothing grandfathered in AFAIK unless it's been rendered completely unable to fire.

There's not really any sort of movement toward liberalisation of gun laws, even among the gun owners I know.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

From the article: "Five of the weapons, which contained gas easily converted to fire live ammunition, found at his home were made illegal due to the increasing amount of criminals purchasing them."

I'm not sure what they're talking about here. Are they saying that people are turning CO2 cartridge pellet guns into firearms somehow? Is that a thing?

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

Hey, UK here. I lurk mostly because guns are interesting, but I only ever shoot very rarely (clay pidgeon/skeet). It's a very niche hobby here, the average person will think you're a nutter for owning a gun unless you're a farmer.

Law is it stands is roughly:

Shotguns: Relatively easy to get a license, poo poo out of luck if you've ever had a serious criminal conviction, has to be stored and carried securely. You have to do an interview with the police for the license, if you even think about saying you want a gun for self defence, no gun for you. 3 round maximum for semi-autos

Rifles: Similar but stricter restrictions to shotguns, pretty much have to be a farmer/member of a hunting club. Nothing over .22, nothing automatic. Likely to go to jail immediately if caught carrying it, even unloaded, anywhere you don't have explicit permission.

Pistols: Lol no. Nothing grandfathered in AFAIK unless it's been rendered completely unable to fire.

There's not really any sort of movement toward liberalisation of gun laws, even among the gun owners I know.

So when you say nothing over .22, do you mean size of the caliber or rim fire only?

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

MrTuffPaws posted:

So when you say nothing over .22, do you mean size of the caliber or rim fire only?

.22lr semi autos only afaik.

I have been hunting in Scotland with proper center fire rifles so that should not be an issue as long as they are bolt action guns.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Itchy_Grundle posted:

From the article: "Five of the weapons, which contained gas easily converted to fire live ammunition, found at his home were made illegal due to the increasing amount of criminals purchasing them."

I'm not sure what they're talking about here. Are they saying that people are turning CO2 cartridge pellet guns into firearms somehow? Is that a thing?

Could be like those gas only psuedo-pistols that are popular in Germany.

They're glorified blank firing only props and yes people carry them for self defense. After major holidays in Berlin you will find the streets littered with the little retard looking blue plastic casings because people like firing them for celebratons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I do remember that in Russia for a while BB gun versions of Makarovs were being turned into functional firearms.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

[quote="“Cyrano4747”" post="“477026784”"]
Could be like those gas only psuedo-pistols that are popular in Germany.

They’re glorified blank firing only props and yes people carry them for self defense. After major holidays in Berlin you will find the streets littered with the little retard looking blue plastic casings because people like firing them for celebratons.
[/quote]

Probably those airsoft rifles that got seized at US customs back most of a decade ago because they were close enough replicas that you could theoretically get the guts of a real AR into them. Or a similar design of a different model.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

moosepoop posted:

.22lr semi autos only afaik.

I have been hunting in Scotland with proper center fire rifles so that should not be an issue as long as they are bolt action guns.

Yup, this.

Oddly, crossbows ARE legal here, although all forms of bow hunting are illegal.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 4, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

Yup, this.

Oddly, crossbows ARE legal here, although all forms of bow hunting are illegal.

How else are you going to protect Parliament from the machinations of the king? They might even be secret catholics!

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so
i dont have to keep
telling you retards
what happened

Lipstick Apathy

TheAsterite posted:

Thanks Maryland for guiding my hand into a Scar 17 purchase because the cool .308 battle rifles like the FAL and M1A are banned.

(Yes I know I could still get an AR 10 )

Whatup, brother from another mother!

MA AWB and subsequent enforcement notices guided me carefully away from dangerous weapons of war, and towards a SCAR for my first rifle. I have to say that I'm a bit relieved that the well thought-out laws (and even nonlaws) were able to make it so that a civilian like myself can't own anything dangerous such as an AR-15 (also known as the M16 Fully Automatic Assault Rifle, aka Widowmaker, literally the exact same gun used by all Delta SEAL snipers). It cost a bunch more but it was worth it, since I'm assuming the SCAR I ended up with is a LOT safer for myself and those around me (or else how could I have bought it lol, I mean there's a law against Assault Weapons here). The other cool thing is that the lack of aftermarket support and competition ensures that I can't customize it in nearly as many dangerous (or ergonomic) ways as some of the AR-15s I see at the range are customized. I'm assuming all those owners are felons and up to no good, so I generally just steer clear and keep to myself. Sometimes someone will come up and want to talk to me, or even share a chuckle that the SCAR is not an Assault Weapon. I don't really get the joke and usually just recommend they talk to the AGs office to get clarification.

I guess the other good thing is that the extra money I spent on the rifle itself limits the amount of ammunition and range time I can buy, which from what I understand can be some of the more dangerous parts of gun ownership. Mostly I just keep it disassembled and locked in a couple different safes with different keys and combinations. Usually I don't have ammunition at the house, but when I do it is locked separately and I am basically on high alert at all times so no gun violence occurs on my watch. It's cool though because the ammunition I do have access to at the target shooting ranges is so expensive that it limits the number of rounds through the gun, helping me preserve its value and avoiding gaining any real proficiency.

eta: oh I forgot to add a huge shoutout to whatever companies datestamped their magazines, since I was able to legally purchase and own almost a dozen high capacity (11+ rounds) magazines. I don't know if you know about the MA laws and rationale that forms their basis, but someone a lot smarter than me figured out that sometime near September 1994, something (not sure what) changed about the manufacturing process that fundamentally changed the safety of those high capacity magazines, making later ones unsafe and therefore illegal. Here's the reference picture, I can't remember the source, but it's what I used to determine how to purchase magazines:

You may want to check to see whether anything similar exists for your state, it was a big help for me. It's a relief to know that these elected and appointed officials are actually doing something useful and impactful like writing these laws (and nonlaws). It's helped basically absolve me of all personal responsibility for the safety (physical and emotional) of myself and those around me. It's so effective that a lot of online retailers will not ship me dangerous things like cleaning supplies, lubricants, stickers, safety equipment, etc. that could be used on or are compatible with an Assault Weapon. I even made a mistake on an order and accidentally selected 5.56mm for the size of a bore brush I wanted when I meant to select .223 caliber. Luckily, the order didn't go through (as I had put my MA shipping address), and was able to avoid being sent dangerous items thanks to the system put in place. If you didn't know, 5.56mm is the distance between lands of an Assault Weapon's ammunition, which is not available to civilians because it's only made in armor-piercing incendiary tracer hollow point. On the other hand, the distance between the lands of my SCAR is 0.223", and this type of ammunition ALWAYS has the harmful lead (health risk AND is so soft that it can actually cause even more injury if it hits something and deforms) fully encapsulated within another inert metal, and is just a boring old ogive shape not really good for anything dangerous. I think you may be able to get what is called a boat tail in some cartridges, but I think that snipers may use this type of bullet so I generally steer clear.

Hope this has helped and let me know if you have any questions about moving to Massachusetts and trying to work your way through our simple and effective firearms laws (and nonlaws).

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 4, 2017

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

uwaeve posted:

eta: oh I forgot to add a huge shoutout to whatever companies datestamped their magazines, since I was able to legally purchase and own almost a dozen high capacity (11+ rounds) magazines. I don't know if you know about the MA laws and rationale that forms their basis, but someone a lot smarter than me figured out that sometime near September 1994, something (not sure what) changed about the manufacturing process that fundamentally changed the safety of those high capacity magazines, making later ones unsafe and therefore illegal. Here's the reference picture, I can't remember the source, but it's what I used to determine how to purchase magazines

I know you're having some good catharsis here, but I'll mention that California also had a grandfathering for magazines over 10 rounds, with no registration or anything... and then they passed a law cancelling the grandfathering of said magazines. I mean we got an injunction at the local federal district court, but I have little faith it will hold up in appeals (given how the 9th Circuit tends to swing). So... some sort of small silver lining/blessing to count on I guess?

Edit: Case is Duncan vs Becerra (State of California) btw. Injunction.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 5, 2017

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so
i dont have to keep
telling you retards
what happened

Lipstick Apathy

BeAuMaN posted:

I know you're having some good catharsis here, but I'll mention that California also had a grandfathering for magazines over 10 rounds, with no registration or anything... and then they passed a law cancelling the grandfathering of said magazines. I mean we got an injunction at the local federal district court, but I have little faith it will hold up in appeals (given how the 9th Circuit tends to swing). So... some sort of small silver lining/blessing to count on I guess?

Edit: Case is Duncan vs Becerra (State of California) btw. Injunction.

I mean it's all in good fun, but don't think for a minute that I believe that we in MA have it the worst.

Meanwhile fuckin lol.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DC will not appeal Wrenn v DC to SCOTUS

https://wtop.com/dc/2017/10/report-dc-wont-take-concealed-carry-fight-supreme-court/

Thordlemuffin
Aug 9, 2013

I live in Oak Park, IL. AR's and AK's are banned by name, and we have a 10 rd mag limit. Thanks to McDonald vs Chicago we're allowed handguns, since registration was a de facto ban. We have concealed carry, but the restrictions placed on it are so exacting that technically the only place you can carry is your back yard if you're far enough away from a school. Most shops have no guns signs in the window. Illinois requires a FOID card to purchase and possess firearms and ammunition. It's not the most free place by any stretch when it comes to guns, but compared to Hawaii or California we're free as a bird.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

That. Is. Awesome.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ehh, maybe. I mean, it's a great ruling, but DC will most likely try to implement it as narrowly as possible, and they'll probably need be taken to court again. It would be better to have SCOTUS find that shall issue is required instead of just the DC Circuit, but there's no guarantee SCOTUS would rule the right way. If Ginsburg or Kennedy or someone similar had kicked the bucket a year ago and we had one more originalist on the court now, I'd be a lot more disappointed that Wrenn didn't make it to SCOTUS.

E: at least it's a circuit split on shall issue now, so if any future shall-issue court case gets sent to SCOTUS they're more likely to take the case.

E2: someone who's not phoneposting (i.e. someone who's not me) should compare which circuits have ruled on shall-issue, and which may-issue states are not in those circuits, and see what states such a case would need to be initiated in.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Some UK shooters have commented already on the restrictions here, but the actual procedures for getting licences and buying firearms are pretty strange too. The legislation is a patchwork of kneejerk reactions to shootings and some weird class divide stuff in the licencsing area.

There is also a push to reduce shooting as a hobby by strangling funding and time to the administration of the whole thing. New ranges have to be approved by the ministry of defence and those approvals are coming slower and slower and sometimes not at all. Firearms liason officers are having to cover larger and larger areas slowing down licence applications.

If anyone is interested I can do a bit of an effort post on it but its probably of limited interested to a primarily US based audience.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The answer is always

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

uwaeve posted:

I mean it's all in good fun, but don't think for a minute that I believe that we in MA have it the worst.

Meanwhile fuckin lol.

Oh no. I mean I'm always bitching about My Home State, but just telling you that they -may- decide to remove that grandfathering in the future like they did over here. There was no registration of any sort, so technically it's hard to prove who had and didn't have mags before the ban. There was nothing in the law saying you needed to be 18 or whatever to own said mags, so you could have been gifted them when you were born. I posted the case because depending on how it goes down, it may affect whether they decide to revoke the grandfathering status on said magazines. They'll make the argument that they aren't banning your guns.

TTerrible posted:

If anyone is interested I can do a bit of an effort post on it but its probably of limited interested to a primarily US based audience.

We're always interested in the meat of how it works in other countries, since we're mostly not exposed to it. Most of American International Gun Law Knowledge boils down to "murica. We have the most freedoms" (other than gun stuff that's often quoted, which is usually vague, like Australia's buyback or UK's ban-almost-all-guns thing). Knowing the methods other countries are using to gently caress with gun owners is pretty interesting. Plus, the more content, the better.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Welcome to Moscow, welcome to Russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6LPcMzfE1M

Let's take a step back from the world of western Europe and the Americas, and visit the a country where presidents ride horses topless and bears drink vodka and play balalaikas in the streets.

A timeline of relevant laws

Gun laws have a long history in Russia, Though for most of the history, it wasn't the purchase or the ownership that was regulated, but rather the use.
- In 1649 the first no-carry zone is established, with the Czar decreeing that guns not be carried into the palace.
- In 1682, carrying firearms was banned (in favor of swords and other bladed weapons).
- In 1684 the shooting of firearms indoors is restricted. (Primarily due to the many house fires that were happening).
- In 1782 Peter 1st finally got around to doing something about the gun issue as well. The decree banned shooting in the streets and in private yards, but specifically permitted shooting in un-populated wilderness areas.
- In 1782 there was another decree banning carrying any sorts of weapons.
- In 1839 there was a law passed regulating the carry of any weapons in rural areas which banned all use, except for hunting.

Taking a break from imperial decrees, the 1845 set of laws regarding the topic forbade, among other things
- Manufacture of "illegal guns"
- Owning "illegal guns"
- Carrying any guns (loaded especially) where not allowed by law
- Keeping guns loaded at home "or anywhere that is frequented by people"
- The use of guns without need.

This set of laws was in effect until the 20th century.

1906 brought us the first regulation of firearms purchases. Pistols were only to be purchased by people who had obtained the necessary license from their local police department "or other authority". This meant that by 1917 the country was a giant patchwork of various local regulations, much like one giant may-issue state.

And then the revolution happened.

In December of 1918 all previous licenses for storage or purchase were revoked, and all guns (and swords) had to be turned in. Unless you were a member of the communist party. In which case, your party membership card was your license. Members were allowed one revolver, and one rifle. These guns were to be registered.

In 1920, the NKVD (precursor to the KGB) was given jurisdiction over registration of all hunting guns, and ammunition for it.

In 1924, purchasing or selling anything that wasn't a "smooth-bore hunting shotgun" became illegal.

Nothing really changed until the start of WWII, whereupon there was an order to turn in all guns to their local authorities in 24 hours or face criminal charges.

1953 brought back gun sales - but only of smoothbore shot guns again, and only if the purchaser had a valid hunting license.

By 1959 the purchaser had to belong to a hunting club.

And after that, there hasn't been much change in the laws since then. Except it became legal to own swords again.

The current state of affairs in the Russian Federation is as follows:

- To purchase a shotgun one must be in good mental health (have a piece of paper stating so from your local shrink), have no criminal record, and be a member of a hunters' association (requires an exam), have a safe (the police will conduct a house visit to confirm), which gives you the right to get a license to purchase a gun (another exam required).
- Once you have your license to purchase, you can then purchase and register your gun.
- The shotgun will be registered for either "storage only" or "storage and hunting", and/or a license for purchase, ownership, and carry of your non-lethal pistol.
- You can get a license to purchase a rifle after five years of ownership of a shotgun.

The Banlist:
- Full-auto.
- Private ownership of pistols (non-lethal rubber-bullet shooting pistols are allowed, clubs and ranges may have access to what americans would consider a normal pistol. These are to be stored on range property exclusively.)
- Silencers
- Night vision scopes (except those used for hunting)
- (completely unironically) whatever the Kremlin says is banned.
- There are certain magazine restrictions.

Theoretically a shotgun or a rifle stored at home may be used in self-defense, however, and to quote the St. Petersburg police on this, the gun must be disassembled (bolt out) locked in your safe at all times. To quote my cousin: "What sort of making GBS threads self-defense is that? Am I supposed to open my safe and assemble this while somebody is breaking down my door?"

Whew, that's a lot of tl;dr, but hopefully somebody finds this interesting.

Oddly enough, "Europe's last dictatorship" Belorus has gun laws that are much more similar to that of Canada, with pistols mostly unrestricted, and most things that you can find in the US available for purchase and ownership (giggle switches excluded). Self defense at home is also a (at least theoretical) right.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 6, 2017

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I know they have IPSC matches in Russia, so handguns can't be completely banned.

https://2017.eurasiaextremeopen.com/

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Craptacular posted:

I know they have IPSC matches in Russia, so handguns can't be completely banned.

https://2017.eurasiaextremeopen.com/

IPSC in russia usually means race saigas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5f4SrogCo

There are a few clubs and ranges that have "proper" pistol rentals. Legal private ownership is limited to a few people who were graced with special government permission.

I dunno if people shoot IPSC with their rubber-bullet guns, which very well might be a thing.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

No, it's handguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UtyG0lYuH0

e: also that looks like a really nice range

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Craptacular posted:

No, it's handguns.

Here, I updated the original post, just to sate your nitpicking.

quote:

Banlist
- Private ownership of pistols (non-lethal rubber-bullet shooting pistols are allowed, clubs and ranges may have access to what americans would consider a normal pistol. These are to be stored on range property exclusively.)

Just to beat this particular dead horse a little further, to shoot a pistol at a range, one needs proof that you are not a drug addict or have any mental problems.

Fun fact, as being gay is (currently) classified as a mental illness in Russia, one thing that could go on the "banned" list is "renting a gun to a gay person at a range."

I'm not even going to get into the hilarity which is the fact that russian IPSC competitors have to borrow guns when they travel to competitions outside of Russia, because pistols that are registered to organizations are not allowed out of the country.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Thanks for the post on Russia! That is neat!

OWLS! posted:

I'm not even going to get into the hilarity which is the fact that russian IPSC competitors have to borrow guns when they travel to competitions outside of Russia, because pistols that are registered to organizations are not allowed out of the country.

Isn't this similar to the... uh... UK? Don't they typically have to practice outside of their home country? (Could also be thinking of another European country)

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 6, 2017