Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Season 1 & 2 thread located here | Season 1 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7elNhHwgBU
Facebook | Twitter | IMDB | Wikipedia

:siren: Season 3 releases on the 1st of September 2017.

Season 3 Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73-IvTvNN0
Season 3 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ory6b2EJ3Bk

Synopsis posted:

Set and filmed in Colombia, season 1 & 2 tells the story of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, who became a billionaire through the production and distribution of cocaine, while also focusing on Escobar's interactions with drug lords, DEA agents, and various opposition entities.

Seasons 3 & 4 will focus on the rise of the Cali Cartel after they broke away from Pablo Escobar and his Medellin associates; the DEA called the Cali Cartel "The most powerful crime syndicate in history".
Cast:

Javier Peña (Pedro Pascal) - A DEA agent who helped bring down Pablo Escobar is now tasked with taking down the Cali Cartel.

Cali Cartel

Gilberto Rodríguez Orejuela (Damián Alcázar) acted as CEO of the Cali Cartel. He industrialized cocaine traffic.

Miguel Rodríguez Orejuela (Francisco Denis) kept the Cali Cartel’s finances in check.

Pacho Herrera (Alberto Ammann) handled international distribution and the cartel’s loyal crew of sicarios.

Chepe Santacruz Londoño (Pêpê Rapazote) led the Cali Cartel’s new business ventures outside of Latin America.

Where is Steve Murphy? (Boyd Holbrook) After Escobar was killed he returned to Miami, as seen here in real life:

Posters:

https://twitter.com/NarcosNetflix/status/903618475175796736

More to come.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Pumped for this, kinda glad Boyd Holbrook is gone, he was always the weakest part of the show for me and I'm glad Pedro Pascal is getting a chance to lead.

But I think what I'm going to miss the most is Pablo Escobar's dad sweaters

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

screaden posted:

Pumped for this, kinda glad Boyd Holbrook is gone, he was always the weakest part of the show for me and I'm glad Pedro Pascal is getting a chance to lead.

But I think what I'm going to miss the most is Pablo Escobar's dad sweaters

One of the best posts I've seen all year. Agreed 100%

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I will miss Tata's tats tbh

Also I would've liked them to bring Wagner Moura back and just have him play another character, but in disguise

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is this gonna take place over almost a decade like season 1 did

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
poo poo I can't wait for this. Tomorrow!

At least you'll be able to root for the good guys in this season since the bad guys won't be charismatic and cool like Don Pablo

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

This is the best tagline I've ever seen.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Old man Adama!

S3 is out now

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

is this gonna take place over almost a decade like season 1 did

Cali didn't last too long after Pablo's death. So unless it loops back to their beginnings, no.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

Phenomenal first episode imo

Didn't think I'd see a guy get his limbs tore off in the first episode, but there you go

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
A wild Shea Whigham appears!

I'm hooked.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I don't get it. What is the appeal of this cocaine stuff? Am I the only one who never tried it? I never did coke but I've done a bunch of bath salts and I still have no idea how you would build a giant crime empire out of it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2928827 I hope this answers all your questions

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I don't get it. What is the appeal of this cocaine stuff? Am I the only one who never tried it? I never did coke but I've done a bunch of bath salts and I still have no idea how you would build a giant crime empire out of it.

Some people don't care for it. Jon Roberts and Mickey Munday trafficked tons of the poo poo into the US for Escobar and only tried coke once and thought it was no big deal.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

watched a fair bit of the season so far and it's still good but it's definitely missing Pablo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

safely sodomized posted:

watched a fair bit of the season so far and it's still good but it's definitely missing Pablo.

Yeah it's really good. In terms of story and things, it's right up there with the rest of the series. But man, no Wagner Moura sucks. Casting that guy as Pablo was real lightning in a bottle type stuff.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

safely sodomized posted:

For sure

I do like that the bad guys are actual bad guys though. I'm not actively rooting for them like Pablo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm so glad Murphy is gone and they shifted to Pedro Pascal as the lead. It's a shame Wagner Moura is gone but the only thing I ever disliked about the show was Murphy's character/narration so removing that is a huge bonus.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so glad Murphy is gone and they shifted to Pedro Pascal as the lead. It's a shame Wagner Moura is gone but the only thing I ever disliked about the show was Murphy's character/narration so removing that is a huge bonus.

I liked Murphy's accent when he was narrating :(

Pena is an adequate replacement though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol how do you root for pablo he was a monster.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

How can you not root for a guy who wears sweaters like this?

:allears:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can't believe the guy that ran bopa became a drug lord...

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, they definitely aren't 'good guys' but compared to Escobar the Cali cartel are basically loving saints. I could see how their offer to just 'retire' would be appealing to the Colombian/US governments.
I loved Moura's performance but I don't see how you could root for Escobar.

I also love (light Ep.3 Spoilers) the security chief is basically the office IT guy that no one listens to.

"You need to do this! It's extremely important!"

"Listen mister, I have a system.."

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Seems like everyone is failing upwards this season

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the cgi blood and wounds are bad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Finished it. Great season. I think the show in a lot of ways gets better and better

My only real gripe is we only got a few minutes of Edward James Olmos. Even in a small role, he loving brings it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jose Oquendo posted:

My only real gripe is we only got a few minutes of Edward James Olmos. Even in a small role, he loving brings it.

does he not come back after the prologue in episode 1?

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
That season was phenomenal, even without Moura holding everything together. The guy playing Pacho Herrera stepped up in a big way to fill those shoes; I was very fond of him.

Not gonna lie, I didn't even notice the white guy was gone till about halfway through. Good riddance.

All in all, a very satisfying watch after my last big TV watch being this lovely season of Game of Thrones.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was drinking when I was watching it and doing so out of the corner of my eye but what was the significance of Gilbert touching his shirt while staring at Brendan Fraser in the Chicken Truck?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan posted:

does he not come back after the prologue in episode 1?

He comes back in the last episode but even then his screen time is maybe 8 minutes over the season.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
"Its own kind of prison" my rear end. They gave him 1.7 million.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Despera posted:

"Its own kind of prison" my rear end. They gave him 1.7 million.

They also somewhat downplay who he was a lot, like how he was a counter-terrorist spook. He wasn't this nebbish waif, he was the dude you sent to Europe to hire mercenaries. The pitch to hire him was basically "Wanna kill Pablo Escobar?". They briefly touch on how he was associated with a bombing planned against Pablo in the show, in like a one line throw away moment. They don't state that it was buying 4 500 pound airplane bombs from the Air Force, as part of an operation where Cali wanted him to bomb Pablo's wing in jail. Or just how many secret paramilitary operations he was put in charge of. And he was the guy they ordered to kill the accountant in real life. So he wasn't quite as pure and innocent as they portray him. The flip side of that is he really did hand the US basically their entire case, and it's not like anyone was on him or something. Crazy cat, I don't know anyone that can definitively say what the hell was going on in his head the entire time. He was a fairly well off guy from a relatively high status family, and counter-terrorist work in Colombia in his time wasn't exactly grunt work. It's not like he was known for living it up or anything either, best anyone can tell he really did join Cali to kill Pablo [Who was basically the closest we'll come to a real life super-villain, and a guy a lot of people made very strange friends over trying to murder as seen on the show], coasted for a few years, and then just snapped one day and turned on them.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

compared to what, the loving US government? under reagan?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that isn't how that works.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sure it is. You asked how people could root for Escobar; you're rooting for the nastiest loving monsters in the story, the US and Colombian governments, whose inhumane laws and brutal suppression of their underclasses created the desperate, cruel world of the favelas from which Escobar rose, and from which he pulled his companions and associates. You're rooting for the loving cops in a narcocorrido.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

zeal posted:

Sure it is. You asked how people could root for Escobar; you're rooting for the nastiest loving monsters in the story, the US and Colombian governments, whose inhumane laws and brutal suppression of their underclasses created the desperate, cruel world of the favelas from which Escobar rose, and from which he pulled his companions and associates. You're rooting for the loving cops in a narcocorrido.

Yeah, that's how poo poo he was. Everyone ganged up to kill him, because reality was tired of his bullshit. Terrorists, other narcos, the CIA and the Colombians, probably random animals and some highly intelligent trees, everyone wanted that motherfucker dead in the end. He did less to hurt the rich and elite [Who he ultimately wanted to be one of] than he did to hurt average people. The rich and powerful were courted for their influence, the underclasses were just shot and left in the gutter as a message. He wasn't a hero, he was just another gently caress you got mine capitalist. A pity gently caress of a football field or something doesn't change that, just like it doesn't change anything for our capitalists when they throw a few crumbs at their lessers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zeal posted:

you can root for nobody. the show pretty much tells you that.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 3, 2017

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Long shot, but does anyone have a clue what song plays in episode 10 when Pacho surrenders in the church? It's an instrumental so I imagine it could have been made specifically for the show but if not I'd love to be able to ID it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can root for nobody. the show pretty much tells you that.
It's pretty obvious you're supposed to root for Pacho. He's an openly gay guy in the early 90's, taking care of his disabled younger brother, while being part of a hyper-masculine subculture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I just binged all of season 3 in one sitting, I thought it was fantastic and for me it was the best of the three in spite of the lack of certain actors this time around. It was much more consistent with better pacing. It's a bit too reliant on 'cops about to do a thing but it all turns to poo poo at the literal last second and they spend the next episode trying to recover from it' schtick but that's my only complaint and it isn't a particularly major one since they did a great job of holding suspense. The soundtrack is immense.

• Locked thread