Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

zeal posted:

Sure it is. You asked how people could root for Escobar; you're rooting for the nastiest loving monsters in the story, the US and Colombian governments, whose inhumane laws and brutal suppression of their underclasses created the desperate, cruel world of the favelas from which Escobar rose, and from which he pulled his companions and associates. You're rooting for the loving cops in a narcocorrido.

This is an incredibly dumb way of looking at fiction. It's like saying in Game of Thrones you should be rooting for the white walkers, because all the characters are members of the aristocracy.

The show is not about nebulous 'US and Colombian governments', it's about specific people who are, at their worst, much less morally compromised than Pablo Escobar. It shows everyone being compromised in a number of ways, but ultimately their situation doesn't determine how good or bad they are.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
This season made Javi look like a trouble maker who hosed up a peaceful surrender.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is an incredibly dumb way of looking at fiction. It's like saying in Game of Thrones you should be rooting for the white walkers, because all the characters are members of the aristocracy.

The show is not about nebulous 'US and Colombian governments', it's about specific people who are, at their worst, much less morally compromised than Pablo Escobar. It shows everyone being compromised in a number of ways, but ultimately their situation doesn't determine how good or bad they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHngTC6KRnY

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 3, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It's been so long since I last watched Narcos, how many of the Cali cartel guys are from previous seasons and how many are newbies?

I remember Pacho from S1/2, but that's about it. Anybody know if there's a 'who's who' cheat sheet?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
You can root for any character in a tv show because that character isnt actually killing/harming other people. Maybe you like how the actor portrays him, his wardrobe etc. Wagnor Moura isn't Pablo Escobar.

But if Pablo Escobar was resurrected and you cheered him on you are a loving idiot and/or a monster.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's been so long since I last watched Narcos, how many of the Cali cartel guys are from previous seasons and how many are newbies?

I remember Pacho from S1/2, but that's about it. Anybody know if there's a 'who's who' cheat sheet?

The only new guys are Jorge and Chepe. The other 3 godfathers we've already seen on S1 and S2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pedro De Heredia posted:

bad example because that is who you should be rooting for.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dmitri-9 posted:

This season made Javi look like a trouble maker who hosed up a peaceful surrender.

I think the show did a pretty good job of showing that it might have indeed been less violent had the surrender plan stayed on but there's no clean and easy way out. I think the big argument it makes is that no matter what Javi does, the cocaine just keeps coming. It continually goes on about the futility of the war on drugs even in these victories.

Javier is obviously a drug warrior, but it does a pretty decent job of putting his view in perspective.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watching episode 3 and I'm so angry at Chilean Larry David refusing to listen to Sad Security Dad :argh:

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Despera posted:

You can root for any character in a tv show because that character isnt actually killing/harming other people.

Well, you can technically root for whoever you want. You can root for the CIA guy if you feel like it. But that's not the narrative that's presented to you.

Pablo is *initially* portrayed as someone who has some positive qualities, and the whole idea of him being a 'man of the people' is there, but it is slowly revealed to be untrue, and then he just becomes a petty sociopath. By the time he bombs a plane, it's pretty obvious he is just a hateful poo poo, and from then on he is not portrayed in any positive way at all (other than insanely superficial things like "he likes his children").

You have to bring in a lot that isn't there to 'root' for Pablo in Season 2, basically.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Watching episode 3 and I'm so angry at Chilean Larry David refusing to listen to Sad Security Dad :argh:

He's doing the Narco equivalent of trying to explain to a middle manager why their password can't be their birthday.

This season does have a lot more shades of grey than the last one though. Escobar was an unnecessarily violent thug, but these guys basically just want to sell their drugs in peace and are even trying to go legit for a bit.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 4, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jerusalem posted:

Are you talking about the accountant? That motherfucker basically caused a whole lot of poo poo. After his brush with the DEA, I get the impression he was seriously spooked and didn't want to fork over the documents to other security guy because he knew it'd be his rear end so his presence got them both tailed to Gilbert's place and everything just kinda unraveled.

e: no poo poo, if it wasn't for the fact that everything fell to poo poo basically instantly after that lucky tail, he should have at the very least had a very uncomfortable talking to with the higher ups. Like you don't want to piss off your money guy but goddamn you sit him down and explain that listening to the loving man in charge of security is non-negotiable.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 4, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

e: no poo poo, if it wasn't for the fact that everything fell to poo poo basically instantly after that lucky tail, he should have at the very least had a very uncomfortable talking to with the higher ups. Like you don't want to piss off your money guy but goddamn you sit him down and explain that listening to the loving man in charge of security is non-negotiable.

It was infuriating how many times this season characters would actively ignore warnings of life-threatening situations from people who they know understand their poo poo just because.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think the only people who worked out that the DEA just tailed the Accountant to Gilberto was Cordova and Salcedo and they never bothered to tell anyone else.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

What a great season. I wasn't sure about the new dopey DEA agents at first, but they grew on me. Most of the drama is centered around Pena, Jorge and the Godfathers anyway.

They also threw in some nice new eye candy this season:

Taliana Vargas

and Andrea Londo

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

so next season is juarez probably? assuming they introduced the lord of the skies (amado carillo) to set up the next season? i'm assuming they don't want to either rewind time to do el chapo's rise to prominence or time skip to sinaloa's takeover from juarez

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I made the mistake of binge watching the entire season yesterday.

Wagner Moura left a huge hole in the cast but I thought the guys that played Pacho and Chepe were great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's crazy how much of the season is in Spanish, with Murphy gone and the two new DEA guys speaking Spanish. I don't mind, I always prefer scenes take place in an appropriate language for the setting, but it does mean I can't watch it while folding laundry.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'm glad Wayne Knight is still out there getting roles.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ragingsheep posted:

I think the only people who worked out that the DEA just tailed the Accountant to Gilberto was Cordova and Salcedo and they never bothered to tell anyone else.

Sure, but even absent that knowledge, that was a supremely close call at the office and if things didnt fall apart should have merited a "listen to the security guys, dumbass" from the bosses.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

zoux posted:

It's crazy how much of the season is in Spanish, with Murphy gone and the two new DEA guys speaking Spanish. I don't mind, I always prefer scenes take place in an appropriate language for the setting, but it does mean I can't watch it while folding laundry.

Its good practice for learning spanish even though every other word is "puta".

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
The only words I know now are tranquilo, puta and meirda.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 5, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God this stupid son who wants to take over the Security side of things :cripes:

He's so loving stupid....

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

The only words I know now know are tranquilo, puta and meirda.

marica

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm glad Wayne Knight is still out there getting roles.

He's such a great scumbag

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God this stupid son who wants to take over the Security side of things :cripes:

He's so loving stupid....

he's just the worst.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Groovelord Neato posted:

he's just the worst.

He's Abby's roommate on Broad City. Dude has range.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

when they use maricon they translate it as pussy when uh thats not what it means

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It kind of is.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PotatoJudge posted:

He's Abby's roommate on Broad City. Dude has range.

Oh my god that's Jaime! That guy is an amazing actor because I've seen all of Broad City and I didn't even recognize him. I knew he was familiar.

Although I should point out he's actually Illiana's roommate
:goonsay:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Still catching up with this season, still loving Navegante!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It kind of is.

it's a much worse word.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Still catching up with this season, still loving Navegante!

I love the way he seems so at ease with what he does. Just lounging around being a bad guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It kind of is.

They also translate hijo de puta as motherfucker but I know what those words mean Narcos!

I think they're translating the severity of the curses rather than their literal meaning.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
drat, Pacho taking down all the Salazar's was very satisfying

Very enjoyable season imo

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I love the guy playing Chepe, he reminds me of another actor/character from another tv show but I can't put my finger on it.....

Pacho is also great

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I love the guy playing Chepe, he reminds me of another actor/character from another tv show but I can't put my finger on it.....

Pacho is also great

Yeah! He really does look like somebody

Behold, the true villain from the whole series

gently caress this guy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zoux posted:

I think they're translating the severity of the curses rather than their literal meaning.

pussy is much weaker than what maricon actually means.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Shaddak posted:

I love the way he seems so at ease with what he does. Just lounging around being a bald guy.

Groovelord Neato posted:

pussy is much weaker than what maricon actually means.

Isn't it basically a bottom gay dude

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Every Spanish speaking country has it's own slang with varying levels of offensiveness. And just like Italian there are a thousand ways to call someone a fag.

http://seecolombia.travel/blog/2011/08/3-colombian-phrases-you-should-not-translate-literally/

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

SHOAH NUFF posted:

James Purefoy... or a slightly more/less Latin Marc Antony, depending how you wanna call it.

• Locked thread