Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I'm at episode 5 and I'm a little confused Who did they kill at the house besides the cop and the other guy? Was the woman the guys wife, and the accountant? That whole scene was really confusing, but I think that was intentional

I miss Holbrooks cocky narration but Pedro Pascal is great just in general.

And it seemed off from episode 2 where the gun in new york gunned down all those people in the beauty parlor and nothing has come from it. It seems NYC cops and the FBI would probably care if mass drug killings were happening on us soil. Maybe that's coming up later

General question, in season 1 they mention how after a DEA agent was killed in Mexico, due to the retaliation the US hit the cartel with, the cartels won't target DEA. Was that actually a thing, or just something in the show? I always assumed American policy was fine with locals being killed, but as soon as Americans are offed, they'll bust your rear end.

They killed the cop for incompetency (by not warning them about the raid on Gilberto's hideout), Cordova who was Miguel's head of security, and Cordova's wife because they found Cordova attempting to run from it all after Gilberto went down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I'm at episode 5 and I'm a little confused Who did they kill at the house besides the cop and the other guy? Was the woman the guys wife, and the accountant? That whole scene was really confusing, but I think that was intentional

I miss Holbrooks cocky narration but Pedro Pascal is great just in general.

And it seemed off from episode 2 where the gun in new york gunned down all those people in the beauty parlor and nothing has come from it. It seems NYC cops and the FBI would probably care if mass drug killings were happening on us soil. Maybe that's coming up later

General question, in season 1 they mention how after a DEA agent was killed in Mexico, due to the retaliation the US hit the cartel with, the cartels won't target DEA. Was that actually a thing, or just something in the show? I always assumed American policy was fine with locals being killed, but as soon as Americans are offed, they'll bust your rear end.

It was a real thing, the agent's name was Kiki Camarena
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki_Camarena

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Scyantific posted:

They killed the cop for incompetency (by not warning them about the raid on Gilberto's hideout), Cordova who was Miguel's head of security, and Cordova's wife because they found Cordova attempting to run from it all after Gilberto went down

Ah okay I was confused because of what happened earlier with I want to say Nacho's wife and son being forcibly reunited and thinking that was going to end with them killed. Sadly, the women on this show are all gorgeous and with dark hair and its a little hard to tell them apart in some shots. It looked like there was an older guy killed with a goatee but it might have been Cordova, just seeing his body from an odd angle and lighting

College Rockout posted:

It was a real thing, the agent's name was Kiki Camarena
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki_Camarena

Did this really protect Americans from the Cartels? It seems like they wouldn't give a gently caress about that kind of stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Watching episode 3 and I'm so angry at Chilean Larry David refusing to listen to Sad Security Dad :argh:
Also what's his wife? She knows he works for the cartel, right? Because her reaction to the 6 months news was bizarre. I'm sure it's frustrating but you can't just turn in your badge and gun and quit the cartel on the spot.

I'm only at episode 4 right now but I'm really enjoying the season otherwise. This ep in particular owned.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 15, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

twistedmentat posted:

Ah okay I was confused because of what happened earlier with I want to say Nacho's wife and son being forcibly reunited and thinking that was going to end with them killed. Sadly, the women on this show are all gorgeous and with dark hair and its a little hard to tell them apart in some shots. It looked like there was an older guy killed with a goatee but it might have been Cordova, just seeing his body from an odd angle and lighting

Did this really protect Americans from the Cartels? It seems like they wouldn't give a gently caress about that kind of stuff.

It does because the US basically went to war against Gallardo's organization. If you kill a federal agent the US will use it as a causus belli and you won't be dealing with prosecutors and drug interdictions, the US shut down the Mexican-US border and renditioned all of the kingpins.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

you uh usually don't want the most powerful country on earth to drop the hammer on you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Generally, people who are murdered in America by cartels are other cartel members, but there have been a handfull of LEOs that have been killed as well. But it seems like the cartels know how dangerous it would be to piss off the US and get the citizenry behind actual full-on military intervention in the Drug War.

I think the best example of that is how Juarez is (or was) one of the most violent, murderous cities in the world and it's just right across the river from El Paso, one of the least violent cities in America.

I'm super excited for the show to get into the Mexican Cartel stuff. I was inspired to do a lot of reading about the drug was from Escobar to now after last season and the Mexican cartel poo poo is approximately ten times as bonkers as the Colombia poo poo.

If you want more narco fiction, check out Power of the Dog and Cartel by Don Winslow, the main antagonist in the first is based on Amado Fuentes, the Lord of the Skies that Pacho hangs out with in this season, and then he becomes based on El Chapo in Cartel.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 15, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the Kiki thing was definitely dramatized for the show, but it is 100% real. The DEA did some shady poo poo too IIRC, even going as far as to bring in bounty hunters to capture the doctor who kept Kiki alive during his torture to be prosecuted in the States.

Basically, Pena was right about that. American agents were definitely targets that you had to think about before you went after them, lest you brought down the wrath of the US government on your asses.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Scyantific posted:

Yeah the Kiki thing was definitely dramatized for the show, but it is 100% real. The DEA did some shady poo poo too IIRC, even going as far as to bring in bounty hunters to capture the doctor who kept Kiki alive during his torture to be prosecuted in the States.

Basically, Pena was right about that. American agents were definitely targets that you had to think about before you went after them, lest you brought down the wrath of the US government on your asses.

It wasn't just the DEA, CBP basically completely shut down the border and caused millions in economic losses because every truck coming from Mexico was getting inspected. The Mexican government kicked it into overdrive arresting and extraditing after that while trying to find Kiki.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 15, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is disappointing that Jorge Salcedo was not introduced last season because I read up on him after finishing S3 and he was involved in some crazy things in relation to the Cali cartel trying to take out Escobar. They basically ignored his military background and made him a family man.

Eg:

Flying to El Salvador in a bizjet and purchasing 4 250kg bombs and trying to load them into said bizjet (they could only fit three in the passenger compartment and left the fourth on the tarmarc) so they could arm one of the military jets owned by the cali cartel to conduct a bombing raid on Escobars prison in an attempt on his life...

Or the time he organized the ex-SAS mercs to go kill Pablo at his estate but they called it off when one of the two helicopters on the raid crashed near the target and the other helicopter had to go and help rescue survivors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali_Cartel

Perhaps if S2 had a bit more of the (extended) Cali cartel in it to link S2 and S3 together a bit more and less of mopey Pablo more stories could have been told.

Either way, looking forward to S4, surely Pena will put the boots back on seeing so many drug boats sail past his dads farm.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

It wasn't just the DEA, CBP basically completely shut down the border and caused millions in economic losses because every truck coming from Mexico was getting inspected. The Mexican government kicked it into overdrive arresting and extraditing after that while trying to find Kiki.

cbp didn't exist at the time (was uscs).

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!

Pallomari aka Louis Sí Qué

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

zoux posted:

Hey isme, what does Pedro Pascal's accent sound like. He grew up in San Antonion, but he's from Chile, so I assume that's the accent he heard at home.

Can't pick up his Chilean accent much because he sounds fairly neutral and considering he grew in the US, it wouldn't be too surprising.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

drunkill posted:

Either way, looking forward to S4, surely Pena will put the boots back on seeing so many drug boats sail past his dads farm.

That and I want more Edward James Olmos.

darkerthantheday posted:

Pallomari aka Louis Sí Qué

Hahaha holy poo poo I never noticed that before

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

drunkill posted:

I'm hoping he'll just be chilling the background in nearly every scene throughout S4.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/narcos-shot-murdered-location-scout-mexico-1202561257/

quote:

‘Narcos’ Location Scout Found Shot Dead in Mexico
Mexican location scout Carlos Muñoz Portal was shot to death in a violent region in central Mexico Monday while scouting for season four of Netflix’s hit show “Narcos.” The seasoned scout, who worked for Stacy Perskie’s Mexico City-based production company Redrum, has a slew of high profile credits to his name, including, “Sicario,” “Spectre,” “Fast & Furious” and “Apocalypto.”

Netflix issued the following statement: “We are aware of the passing of Carlos Muñoz Portal, a well-respected location scout, and send our condolences to his family. The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.

Muñoz’s bullet-riddled body and car were found in a remote area near the borders of Hidalgo state, which is said to have the highest murder rate in Mexico. In July, 182 cases of homicide were reported in the densely populated state, a ratio of 12.2 for every 100,000 inhabitants.

According to local reports, authorities have had trouble piecing together the circumstances that led to his killing, given the dearth of witnesses.

Netflix’s season 4 is said to be exploring the origins of Mexico’s infamous Juarez cartel just as season 3 focused on the rise and fall of Colombia’s Cali cartel and heralded the shift of the drug wars to Mexico.

Munoz’s murder raises doubts on whether the production will continue in Mexico or move back to Colombia where it began. Such a decision would imperil hundreds of jobs that the series’ production would have generated in Mexico.

Well that isn't good. I wonder what they'll do, film in a different area of mexico? Film in Texas/Arizona and fake it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, it is scary just how long the reach of the Cartel is. Wasn't Franklin in a federal US prison?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that guy wasn't killed irl.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

drat, I really wanted to find out how Navegante's date went

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
IRL Franklin Jurado was caught because neighbor complained his house was very loud and they found out the loud sounds came from all those money counting machines running constantly. After serving time, he disappeared from public view.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

pigdog posted:

By the way, if you want to see another good series in the same vein (though sans cops), and if you can find it, see Gomorrah. Which should also get a new season soon.

Wanted to say thanks for the recommendation.

I'm about 80% though the first season, and I'm enjoying it. It can move a little slow sometimes, but the plot is engaging. It's very similar to the Sopranos in that there really isn't a "good guy" to root for. If you start liking a character, they will eventually do something horrible that makes you dislike them. Considering they're all murderous gangsters, that's the way it should be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

isme posted:

IRL Franklin Jurado was caught because neighbor complained his house was very loud and they found out the loud sounds came from all those money counting machines running constantly. After serving time, he disappeared from public view.

Ah okay. But then if they can buy the president of Columbia, they could buy some federal prison employees, even if he didn't die in reality.

Chepe's fate was pretty good.

I liked this better than season 2, but nearly as much as season 3.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Ah okay. But then if they can buy the president of Columbia, they could buy some federal prison employees, even if he didn't die in reality.

No they can't. A federal prison guard can't launder a bribe large enough to make it worth his while.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I'm kind of surprised this season was so highly acclaimed. It was a pretty steep drop from season 2 for me. Miguel was the central kingpin but was nowhere near as compelling as Pablo. The war with North Valley seemed like it could be interesting, but just kind of went way in the background after an episode. The Medellin/Cali war was much better written.

Also, the season needed much more of Pacho kicking rear end instead of David being a psycho.

On the plus side, I enjoyed Jorge and his actor. The climactic scene with Enrique was amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kingpins having psycho kids that just want to kill everyone is such a cliche these days. I did like how David got gunned down by North Valley guys when he was completely focused on finding Jorge.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just got up to date on this and as much as I expected it, it was so cathartic when Serrano rammed the poo poo out of Miguel's car.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

I missed Pablo and his "malparido!", also made the same mistake of going through season 3 way too quick. I will check out Gomorrah as someone recommended.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I didn't think this season was as good as the previous 2, probably due to no Pablo, but I still really enjoyed it. I really think they have nailed a lot of the actors in this series. The actor who portrayed David....my god I wanted to punch him so much.

It was great how he was just killed by a drive by kind of out of nowhere.

Also, this is probably more a mafia question than cartel, but I was trying to find some information about a clip I saw a long time ago about I think a court case where they had managed to arrest a large number of mafia members and had to build a special court room or something where individual cells were integrated into the court room to stop the members from possibly being assassinated in transit or escaping or something. I think it was from the 80's or 90's.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? The only pictures I could find were not of what I had seen and it was just a black and white photo with a large number of mafia members in a single cage in the court room.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I would imagine it was one of the several films about ultimate loving badass Judge Giovanni Falcone :black101:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

freeranger posted:

Yea I loved that so much.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

B-Nasty posted:

Wanted to say thanks for the recommendation.

I'm about 80% though the first season, and I'm enjoying it. It can move a little slow sometimes, but the plot is engaging. It's very similar to the Sopranos in that there really isn't a "good guy" to root for. If you start liking a character, they will eventually do something horrible that makes you dislike them. Considering they're all murderous gangsters, that's the way it should be.

Yeah I'm two episodes in and it's a good show. I already watch everything with subtitles anyway so I don't miss anything.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

LinYutang posted:

I'm kind of surprised this season was so highly acclaimed. It was a pretty steep drop from season 2 for me. Miguel was the central kingpin but was nowhere near as compelling as Pablo. The war with North Valley seemed like it could be interesting, but just kind of went way in the background after an episode. The Medellin/Cali war was much better written.

Also, the season needed much more of Pacho kicking rear end instead of David being a psycho.

On the plus side, I enjoyed Jorge and his actor. The climactic scene with Enrique was amazing.

The problem with this show is that every season is different in plot and structure than the previous one, but they also try to keep some aspects constant (the big drug dealers), and it doesn't always work perfectly.

I think they weren't entirely sure whether they should continue on the same path of focusing the show on larger-than-life drug kingpins or doing something different. The advertising, at least in my country, is of Gilberto Rodriguez's face next to Pablo's, giving the misleading impression that the show's replacing one kingpin with another. And then things like the North Valley war, and the return of the paramilitaries, it tries to replicate previous seasons, but it's like their heart isn't really in it. Creatively, they seemed more interested in doing the story of the security guy, and that was probably the most successful part of the season.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 23, 2017

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I just finished Season 3 of this show and absolutely loved it. I was very worried heading into S3 because of no Pablo but it didn't suffer at all. In fact Episode 8 was possibly the strongest of the whole series and I would put it up close to Ozymandias as one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen.

Pascal/Pena is amazing. There have been so many morally ambiguous choices he's had to make and the fact that not all of them end up being worth it is good story-telling IMO. Salcedo was a brilliant character too, I was more invested in him not being killed than nearly any other character I can remember in a TV show. I also really liked Chepe.

High quality show, I will look forward to Season 4 of this only slightly behind GoT in terms of other shows that are still out there that I watch.

I think my interest in this was piqued by the movie Sicario and I know its obvious but anyone who likes one needs to watch the other asap. Is there anything else out there that I should watch based on this interest? I'm aware of the new Tom Cruise movie "Made in America" which I know has Escobar in it so I'll be looking out for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not movies or TV, but the Don Winslow books Power of the Dog and Cartel are novels heavily drawn from real characters in the Mexican drug trade. The dude that Pacho hangs out with in Mexico is the inspiration for one of the major characters in both novels. Well in Power of the Dog he's "The Lord of the Skies" and in Cartel he's more Chapo Guzman. I can recommend some non-fiction that cover various aspects of the 70's-90's cocaine trade as well, I went on a bit of a drug war bender after Narcos season 1.

Also, I haven't seen it yet but I've heard good things about the Mexican drama El Chapo that's on Netflix.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

freeranger posted:

I didn't think this season was as good as the previous 2, probably due to no Pablo, but I still really enjoyed it. I really think they have nailed a lot of the actors in this series. The actor who portrayed David....my god I wanted to punch him so much.

Also, this is probably more a mafia question than cartel, but I was trying to find some information about a clip I saw a long time ago about I think a court case where they had managed to arrest a large number of mafia members and had to build a special court room or something where individual cells were integrated into the court room to stop the members from possibly being assassinated in transit or escaping or something. I think it was from the 80's or 90's.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? The only pictures I could find were not of what I had seen and it was just a black and white photo with a large number of mafia members in a single cage in the court room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxi_Trial

You might be thinking of the Maxi Trail, where about 500 sicilian mafioso were put on trial all at once. They put them in huge cages in a courthouse that was underground and rocket proof.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Season 4 teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJGkm0UwNRk

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/narcos-season-4-michael-pena-diego-luna-cast-as-season-4-stars-1069087
Micheal Pena and Diego Luna join the cast... Pedro Pescall is departing, gently caress. I guess he wasn't happy about potential crew safety after the location scout got murdered. They said he might return for a few scenes but he won't be the lead of the show anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Michael Pena being added is great but no Pedro is a huge disappointment :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Pena and Luna being added is great, but Pascal leaving is a blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I started watching this serie. And totally surprised me.

My own experience about colombia womens is that they hare super intense and pretty. They don't have a good opinion of americans (of usa), they think the yankees have not soul, but from my point of view is the colombians that they kind of have too much of it, passion.

I don't know what the gently caress happened there. I am spanish and I can track some of the excess directly to the peninsula. Paco Escobar would be some guy from Euskadi, Limon would be somebody from Aragon, most of the people in Cali would be from Lleida or perhaps Barcelona. My own family is so loud talking that we can scare small dogs and horses.

There's a episode in this serie where the characters talk about their love of the country, the land. The serie make a good point about Colombian women (probably) being the best womens in the planet but fail to show how Colombia is a really nice from a aesthetic viewpoint. The serie lacks a few Terence Malick moments where the camera would get us fall in love with the country, all scenes show either urban or suburban images, I miss some poetry here.

Somebody have recommended to me a similar serie to me about Paco Escobar, "the master or evil" or something like that. Apparently is a hispanic version of this serie, where the main character is more a dotard than here.

• Locked thread