Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Humble Request
Problem: have excel list of movie library, all in one column in format: Movie (Year), like Return of the Jedi (1983). Want to add from IMDb into adjacent columns: director, top actors, synopsis, avg rating, number of raters.
Description and requirements: csv input/output is fine, or whatever format I can export to which is easiest for you. command line is perfectly fine.
Nice to have features: for updating the list, can limit scrape to items newly added.

SA gift certificate will be your reward!

THANK YOU!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chunjee posted:

The input is your Excel/csv file and the output is what exactly?
Do you prefer to add new movies with a GUI or just adding to Excel and re-running?
A new spreadsheet, I suppose, or a modified spreadsheet, with the data added as new columns alongside the movie names. I'm happy to just add the new movies to the sheet and re-run it to populate in the data.

Chunjee posted:

Just thinking out loud:
Should be doable with IMDB data, but user will need their own API key which I think is free. A quick google search tells me there are two other movie databases but similarly neither respond to anonymous requests. May as well use IMBD if that is the case.

I think the way I would do it is; take Excel input, populate all the titles and rate limited fill them in depending on the API's rules. Maybe show a progressbar or simple GUI with all the titles filling with data, then export when done. Maybe store the discovered data for any future executions because I'm thinking things would get hairy if supplied a 1000 row excel.
There's some good info on it here: https://www.imdb.com/interfaces/ There are currently about 1800 rows in the sheet if it matters.

Thanks so much for looking at this and hope you will give it a shot! There are a lot of old fogies out there who keep track of their movies this way, so I think it would be useful for more than just my oddball setup.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Runtime and genre tags would be cool too. Thanks!!! I'm really excited.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ceros_X posted:

I'd like a copy of this if it gets completed (my spreadsheet has 3600 rows, though). I think you'll run into issues not being able to determine which IMDB entry belongs to which movie. Even with Plex scraping and fairly good movie names I had to manually identify about 100 of the 3600 entries on mine. Maybe if the entries had IMDB tags (i.e. tt3778644) but without that I think the margin of error can be quite high on scrapes.

I really wish there was a way to export the Plex metadata for a library (info, album art, etc).
I use Infuse, but, same.

I doubt there's a way around the need to manually review every entry, but I don't mind. It should be fairly clear just flipping through it if the scrape is wrong. On the bright side, it probably helps that I have my sheet in Movie (Year) format rather than filenames.

e: I guess one way to do it would be to make the script interactive and prompt you to either confirm or provide a correct IMDb link if it's not very confident that it has a match, kind of like FileBot? Or to have an interactive mode where you have to do this for every entry?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 24, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just wanted to say I can offer $40 to whomever fulfills the above request!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Holy poo poo I can't believe this works!! Thanks so much.

Is there any way to increase the likelihood it will find a match? It seems to be finding info probably 75% of the time. How does the threshold value work?

Also PM me your paypal address. Thanks again, very excited about this!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah, I got myself an upgraded api key through their patreon account good for 120,000 queries a day for $1.

Thanks for the offer, hopefully I’ll be able to figure it out on my own and just plug in the rest manually. Interestingly, setting the threshold value to 1 seems to yield the best results.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chunjee posted:

This concerned me so I re-wrote the scoring mechanism. I'm uploading a new release shortly which uses a different algorithm for measuring the string similarity.

I also added an error message for those cases to provide some insight:

Thanks for this. Weirdly, the new version can't handle apostrophes, colons, or other special characters; additionally, I get this error message even when I do set the threshold to a negative number.

e: commas don’t work either :(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 26, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thank you so much! Can't wait to give it a shot!

Do you mind if I share the link to this tool widely? I think a lot of people will be eager to use it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chunjee posted:

Please do share. 100+ downloads would be cool. Excel doesn't seem like a format PLEX would use; what does this hook up with?
Will do!

Many of us who use a solution other than Plex, or *gasp* physical media, keep a list of movies in this format, so the tool allows us to make a "book" of what we've got which includes the metadata. In my case, it's for my parents, who are older and not the type to look things up on IMDb. This way they can still have access to that data. I'm the Good Son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Humble Request
Problem: Android head units cause bluetooth interference because there's no way to turn off their built-in Bluetooth adapter permanently.
Description and requirements: A one-page Android app that shows available bluetooth adapters, with a toggle switch to turn them on or off permanently.
Nice to have features: That's it!