Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We're doing fine, he says, expecting a Mister Miyagi-like moment when we learn that we're building the patience, strength and muscle memory to perform martial arts by going about our chores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Force a smile, say you're still doing great.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I thought it might have been a test. We're doing great, fine, fine, thanks for asking. How are you?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yes Sensei I'm still satisfied.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 199 posted:

Abbot Dry Jade is delighted. He tells you that you have conquered the attraction of the dull material world and are well on the path to enlightenment. You remain in the monastery, working hard. Your father's death will remain unavenged.

Failure: Monky business

If we become too comfortable with any of our vocations, we can end up here. I don't know of any way besides trial and error to figure this one out, but here's the good path. Anyone with a keen eye for page numbers will see that asking for martial arts training here just gets us sent back to Flying Turtle to stomp sticks.

Page 236 posted:

When you tell Dry Jade of your decisions, he shrugs. 'I expected this; however, before you go, let me show you something.' He puts a wooden practice block - the kind the monks use in their training - on the table and tells you to relax. Once you are fully relaxed he tells you to hit the block. Without thinking, you chop at it, using the same gesture you have used in your work since you entered the monastery. The block shatters. 'You are a good pupil,' says Dry Jade. 'Some learn their martial arts the long way, but your hard work and dedication have taught you the secret of our style - to relax, and make all your movements as natural as a crane in flight.' Note down the word 'sword' on your Adventure Sheet. 'You may leave now with my blessing,' says Dry Jade, 'or you may stay a little longer and help us in a small matter.'

If you decide to stay, turn to 300.
If you prefer to leave, turn to 281.

: Hey now!

: That's a rather cleaver way to get things done.

: I guess that's what the knife is for...?

Odd, in that kicking sticks nets us an extra SKILL point and two STAMINA. Oh well, maybe the keyword will be worthwhile. I'm going to assume that we choose to have an adventure, so we'll go to 300 which is where our dream quest starts. First difference is the monk fight. Instead of the keyword 'wood' with some leg stomping, we respond thusly:

Page 132 posted:

The monk sidles towards you, moving with the fatal grace of a hunting spider. You are calm as he attacks, mentally back at your menial tasks at the monastery. As quick as lightning, he launches a kick to your body. Your arm sweeps down, just as it did during countless hours of work, effortlessly brushing his kick aside. His next attack is more careful.

posted:

WHITE-FACED MONK
Skill 6 Stamina 6

If you defeat the monk, turn to 267.
If he defeats you, turn to 93.

So he's one SKILL lower than last time, which is negated by us not gaining an extra SKILL. However, he has 2 fewer STAMINA, so the fight should go a bit quicker. Let's sword it up.

Mulan vs White-Face Monk, 2nd Go-Around
Round 1: (2,5)+7>(4,2)+6, Monk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 2: (5,2)+7>(3,4)+6, Monk loses 2 STAMINA.
Round 3: (4,4)+7>(4,3)+6, Monk loses 2 STAMINA, squished with the grace of a hunting spider

: That felt GOOD!

: Numbers be damned, you smoked that mook.

So from here we'll 'give' our dad our hat or knife or whatever to knock out our FEROCITY and gain 2 skill. We picked correctly at the double doors but then wrong at the fork in the tunnel. Care to guess again?

Page 307 posted:

The doors open smoothly, revealing dimly lit corridors beyond. Here, flaming sconces burn on the walls, and in their guttering light you can see passages leading both left and right; a tunnel continues straight on. 'A weight is upon your shoulders,' says Meng. 'Do you yet know where you are?'

Which passage do you follow:

The left-hand one? Turn to 58.
The right-hand one? Turn to 193.
The middle one? Turn to 158.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Skill: 9
Stamina: 15/15
Luck: 9
Ferocity: -1, subtract 2 upon Aging

Inventory:
Provisions x2 (restore 4 STAMINA per use)
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
30 copper coins on a string
10 gold coins not on a string
Monk's Knife
A bad feeling about this

Keywords: When, King, Offers, Sword

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or]
Failures: Merchanting, Monking
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Left I guess.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I didn't see the clue :(

Right?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Tiebreaker- left

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I remember having this book as a kid, I found it incredibly frustrating even when I wasn't actually 'playing' and just flipping pages as I liked.

It's almost Sky Lord levels of 'one path only with absolutely way of knowing it apart from trial and error', which is awful.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I remember having this book as a kid, I found it incredibly frustrating even when I wasn't actually 'playing' and just flipping pages as I liked.

It's almost Sky Lord levels of 'one path only with absolutely way of knowing it apart from trial and error', which is awful.

To be fair, Skylord was one long non-sequitur. There was no flow whatsoever to the plot. True, there's very little forgiveness here, but at least you can understand the story progressing and when you put it together finally, it's a nice read. At least that's my take.

Damnit - it doesn't look like Skylord was recorded on the Master List. If someone happens to have a link (it was by Tupperwarez), I'd love to have it so people can relive the insanity.

Edit: Whew, it's there, just under Sky Lord.

Page 58 posted:

The passage caries straight on for a while, then bends to the right. You follow it and enter a strangely shaped chamber. In the wall opposite are five short passages, each less than two meters high. In the center of the room, a large clay bowl sits on the block of stone. Around it are strewn the bones of a dozen skeletons. Megs says, 'Many have tried to take the cup: do you dare?'

Do you:

Grab the bowl from the stone? Turn to 48.
Approach warily and touch the bowl? Turn to 257.
Go back the way you came? Turn to 4.

: They chose...unwisely?

: Let's call it that. It'll lead to less resentment down the road.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
A hankering for a cuppa/bowla...stuff

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or]
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

A chance to back out is new. Go back the way we came.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I liked the training reveal. I also remember us needing a bowl at the mind reveal scene. Cautiously approach.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 257 posted:

You touch the bowl. Its surface feels smooth, coo....then white hot. You try to pull your hand away, but it is too late. You are incinerated. You dream of revenge is over.

Death: Incinerated by a bowl

Page 48 posted:

You snatch up the bowl, but nothing happens. Write down on your Equipment list that you have a clay bowl. Meng chuckles. 'Easy when you know how,' he comments, 'but how do you depart? Think hard. Use your head.' You go back up the passage.

Now, do you:

Return through the double doors? Turn to 230.
Go along the tunnel opposite? Turn to 276.
Go down the passage to your right? Turn to 158.

: I think this is relative to our initial perspective.

: Does that really matter?

: Not really, but it's gotta be worth something.

: I CRAVE SOME GROUNDING IN THIS MADNESS!!!

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
Clay Bowl
A mild sense of deja vu

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or], a very hot bowl

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 5, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Weird. Go right now. There may be more stuff in here.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Page 58 posted:

The passage carries straight on for a while, then bends to the right. You follow it and enter a strangely shaped chamber. In the wall opposite are five short passages, each less than two meters high. In the center of the room, a large clay bowl sits on the block of stone. Around it are strewn the bones of a dozen skeletons. Megs says, 'Many have tried to take the cup: do you dare?'

Do you:

Grab the bowl from the stone? Turn to 48.
Approach warily and touch the bowl? Turn to 257.
Go back the way you came? Turn to 4.

The instadeath for "approach warily and touch the bowl" seem really arbitrary to me. Is there a clue on Page 58 (or any earlier pages) which suggests that "grab the bowl" is the right way to go?

EDIT: Of course, arbitrary instadeaths in CYOA gamebooks in general or Fighting Fantasy gamebooks in particular are hardly a new or uncommon phenomenon.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 4, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think the hint for avoiding that instadeath was 'do you dare to take it?' IE be daring, not cautious. I missed that. :(

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Haven't abandoned things, but will probably be tomorrow night before time presents for next update.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 158 posted:

The tunnel is short and wide and gives on to a roughly circular chamber. The room is lit by thousands of tiny lights dancing in the air, some darting about, others staying still. In the middle of the room stands a tall, dark shape: a figure etched permanently in your memory, its demon mask mocking you. Beside you Meng gestures urgently.

If you wait to see what Meng has to say, turn to 233.
If the Fear is upon you, turn to 212.
Otherwise, you may attack the figure (turn to 352.

Oh, wait, nevermind, we're in a dream so geography isn't concrete. Well, nicely chosen. 230 is actually a complete wipe, sends you back to Page 1 with Notes and Equipment erased (although no mention made regarding stats), and 257 ends in non-fatal failure. Assuming we're happy with the choices we made last time, we end up here. With our improved inventory...

Page 217 posted:

You come to, standing in front of Dry Jade. In your hands is the clay bowl, which the Abbot takes from you. He turns to another monk standing near by, a monk with a white face, and with a smile, he flings the bowl to the floor, where it breaks into a thousand shards (cross the clay bowl off your Equipment List). Note down the word 'turn' on your Adventure Sheet. Dry Jade turns to you. 'The true prize of the Deep Land is in your heart,' he declares. 'You have nothing more to learn from us, so return to the world.' Your STAMINA is restore to its permanent level.

Turn to 281.

Page 281 posted:

If you plan to travel to the south, turn to 249.
If you would rather head northwards, turn to 295.

: ...

: ...

: WELL AT LEAST I HAVE THESE FANTASTIC RED ROBES AND PEACE OF MIND!

: To everything, turn turn turn...

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Ferocity: -3, subtract 2 upon Aging

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
Enlightenment in our heart or some such equivalent

Keywords: When, King, Offers, Sword, Turn

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or], a very hot bowl
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block, an ephemeral bowl made manifest

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, good. Back in the Kung Fu Panda mindset. :)

North.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 295 posted:

Eventually you come through the mountains and look out across an expanse of rice fields which stretch all the way to a glistening silver ribbon on the far horizon: the sea!

If you have the word 'to' on your Adventure Sheet, turn to 395.
Otherwise, turn to 264.

Page 264 posted:

A plume of smoke rises from an encampment a few kilometers away and, even from this distance, you think you can make out the distinctive black armor of the mercenaries.

If you creep up close, remaining hidden, turn to 134.
If you march boldly into the camp, turn to 390.

Now, this may be familiar. We've walk this path before. Shall we retrace our steps, or approach things in a different way? Please feel free to vote for multiple steps at a time if you wish to keep the first choice but differ on the second, keep the first two but differ on the third, etc.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife

Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block, an ephemeral bowl made manifest

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hmm, we now have martial arts skill and extra self-confidence. Stride boldly in!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Let us BE BOLD. If, y'know, that's OK with everybody.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 390 posted:

The sun is shining brightly overhead as you stride confidently into the camp. Sure enough, these are the barbarians who destroyed the tranquility of your village life.

If your Age is 15 or over, turn to 220.
If your Age is less than 15, turn to 15.

Again, please see thread title.

Page 220 posted:

The barbarians look you up and down as you enter their camp, but not one of them lifts a weapon against you.

If you have the word 'never' written on your Adventure Sheet, turn to 354.
Otherwise, turn to 169.

Page 169 posted:

You approach the central tent in the camp and beat upon the little drum which hangs by the flap. There is a grunt from within. The fearsome figure of the mercenary leader emerges - his face hidden by the demon mask.

If you attack him immediately, turn to 346.
If you choose to talk to him first, turn to 240.

: You're not so fearsome up close.

: I'd beg to differ. The smell alone is an offense to the idea of sanitation.

: Well, perhaps they've just been robbing the wrong villages.

: Sure. When you take over, just plunder the nearest spa. How could this go wrong?

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The talk before the grand battle is an important martial arts trope.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah, talking first seems the better choice.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We talk first. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die..

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 240 posted:

You look up into the impassive mask of your father's murderer. 'Well, what is it?' he demands.

If you accuse him of murder, turn to 321.
If you ask him to join his mercenary band, turn to 55.

: J'accuse!

: Vous accousez?!?

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
A feeling this might not turn out well

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
"Hello. My name is So-and-So. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Repeat until he begs us to stop saying it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Ask him to join his mercenary band! That way he'll just be a member of the band and a leadership position will open up and we can take it!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

"Hello. My name is So-and-So. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Repeat until he begs us to stop saying it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 321 posted:

He laugh mirthlessly. 'I admire your presumption,' he hisses, 'but I advise you to come back and face me when you have the skill and wits to succeed.' Anger wells up in you at his contemptuous words.

Roll 3 dice.

If the result is less than your ferocity, turn to 346.
If the result is equal to or greater than your FEROCITY, turn to 254.

I think this is the first time we've been able to duck a ferocity roll. We'll review what comes from a high FEROCITY in the wrap up.

Page 254 posted:

You stare back at him. He seems disconcerted that you hold your ground and his eyes drop, faced by your fearless gaze. He gestures to his men, however, and they seize your arms from behind before you can move. 'I'll give you something to remember me by,' says your enemy, striding over to the fire and drawing a flaming brand from it. He waves it before your eyes, then presses it against your chest. Agony grips your whole body. A searing, blinding pain shoots through your limbs. You lose consciousness. Deduct 2 points from your Temporary STAMINA.

When you awaken, you are alone; the mercenaries have struck camp and left. You are terribly thirsty, so you crawl over to a nearby stream and take great gulps of cool water. As you was, you realize that an ugly scar now marks your chest. The wound is still tender - the mere touch of cloth bringing waves of pain. You must find some way of wreaking your revenge on the mercenary leader.

Turn to 273.

: Rude!

Page 273 posted:

You turn back southwards, through the mountains. Although you are impatient to deal with your enemy, you must find a way of he will receive his just deserts. Note down the word 'to' on your Adventure Sheet.

If you have a red robe, turn to 129.
Otherwise, turn to 235.

Worth noting, there actually is some wiggle room in that last section for a successful run. Whether we wiggled adequately or not...

Page 129 posted:

Walking through the night gloom, you almost bump into what - at first sight - looks like a tree-stump. With a jolt you realize that in fact this is a stationary figure of a man. He raises his head to gaze at you, and you catch the glint of sharp eyes from beneath bushy white brows. The old man reaches up to stroke his long, white beard. Then he mutters something incomprehensible and beckons to you with his finger. You notice that he has a sword at his belt.

If you launch a surprise attack on him, turn to 211.
If you show him respect and follow him, turn to 50

: I'm pissed. This scar isn't even in a cool shape.

: I dunno, there's kind of an abstract beauty to it, almost like a curling serpent or dragon.

: Bullshit, you say that about everything.

: That's because because dragons are all around us, a fundamental building block of the world!

: I'm heading to the latrine. I'll let you know if I see any dragons in there.

: ...I am willing to revisit my previously stated stances.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Stamina: 13/15

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
A brand new scar

Keywords: When, King, Offers, Sword, Turn, To

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Thief of Time posted:

"Dojo! What is Rule One?"

"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"

Show respect to the nice ancient master.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Greetings, potential new sensei. Bow!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I don’t think we’ve yet reached the point where we’re attacking random people. Show respect.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Keywords posted:

When, King, Offers, Sword, Turn, To

I see what you're doing there, book

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 50 posted:

The old man leads you along the path, through a ravine and into a narrow valley. You follow him into a small hut, sparsely furnished, where he lights a fire and starts to brew some tea in a battered old kettle. Only when you are seated, with a steaming bowl of tea before you, does he speak.

Turn to 150.

So we've met this old man Yao before. I'm going to assume that we were pleased with acquiring the sword and do that. The other route gets us the keyword 'magic' which leads to a non-descript death upon getting to the palace and some other random stuff. After getting the sword (and going to Traole or not...it doesn't really matter), and hitting up that puzzler. From there we successfully enter the palace and high-five-point-exploding-palm our monk bro, and brandish our golden sword.

Page 218 posted:

Maior notices the Sacred Sword of Tsui at your belt. He points to it and asks if he may examine it, so you hand it over reverently. Maior passes his hand over the blade; there is a light crackling sound like static from fine cloth. 'A good blade for a hero,' says the king. He strikes a tiny gong on the reading desk. 'There is discord in the land, that I know, but I am too distant from my people to know what to do. I need an agent.' Into the room glides a fat figure dressed in extravagant robes. Maior rises to his feet and offers you the sword back. 'Take this and you will become my agent.'

Do you:

Take the sword and swear loyalty? Turn to 32.
Refuse, insisting that you are not worthy? Turn to 370.
Say that you will take the sword if the mercenary leader is to be brought to justice? Turn to 124.
Or you may know of another option.

: So....

: It all started long ago, you were orphaned and wandered around a bit before finding your uncle. He told you to find the monastery so you looted your old home and got a pointy stick. You chose not to enter Traole and wandered up a mountain. You made friends with a monk who taught you to chop mountain fish, and then you pulled a bowl out of your soul which was promptly shattered. It was cool though, you got some robes and a knife and used them to definitively not kill the bandit leader, and then after you did (or didn't) actually enter Traole, you met a puzzler, an envoy, and got into the palace. Plus you got yourself that shiny pig sticker and met a king.

: And yet I'm left feeling so very unedified.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Skill: 9+2 in combat
Stamina: 13/15

Inventory:
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
Sacred Sword of Tsui
Wooden plaque
The deja blues

Keywords: When, King, Offers, Sword, Turn, To, 198

Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block, an ephemeral bowl made manifest, some Traolian mooks

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Turn to 198, I guess.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Let's see what kills us on page 198.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
198 is the only option that doesn't have us going in circles again, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Goddamm, I hadn't noticed. 198.

• Locked thread