Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hell yeah Kaker that thing rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KakerMix posted:

It's real freakin' cool

good grief

i'd be scared to drive that thing around lest i put a blemish on it

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

I thought it was a bit odd to but hey, they still work!

It's a Toyota, of course it still works. Unbelivably clean, likes it's got 6200km, not 62,000. Hell, like its got 620km. FWD Levin/Trueno of all gens used to be thick on the ground here, common youth car, but they've been slowly run into the ground. There's one black one like your but non-SC around my hood that's clearly enthusiast owned tho.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Lovely car, Kakermix.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well I'm still negotiating with the seller but looks like I'm going to end up with a 3rd gen JDM RAV4. FWD, which isn't my preference but will be fine for the intended use. I'll probably try to get something a bit more capable as a second car after I arrive in Africa.

Any recommendations for a head unit I can swap in to use Android Auto/Carplay? Or can I just use whatever would also fit in a US car of the era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Turns out that the Hilux DID have electrical issues. Complete no-start, no life what so ever. However, since it's an old dumb Hilux it doesn't give a gently caress about the electricals, it would run. Pull start it (probably can't get it up to speed pushing but no reason it couldn't) with our Prado and presto! It fired up. Instrument cluster was dead, whole center stack was dead, no indicator lights, no relay clicks on ignition. A few fuses were blown, giving an indication on the problem. I crawled around it, ignorantly poking around and gave up. I had already replaced both batteries and replaced a somewhat common issue, the starter relay, but towed it down to Karr Automotive, a shop down in Ft. Myers owned by Kellyn Karr, a guy I've mentioned in this thread before (he also runs the USA Mitsubishi Delica forum). We dropped it off on Thursday, it got looked at on Monday the next week. Kellyn found the issue and fixed it within 3~ hours. Turns out that my theory, that someone tried to jump the truck with a 24v box on account it has two batteries, unfortunately they run in parallel, not series like proper 24v Land Cruisers. Burned a few fuses but also fuse blocks deep in the dash. $350 bucks later the truck is mechanically perfect. Swapped a new set of KO2s today, now it needs registration, a wash, polish, wax, and a deep internal clean and it will be done. Inside is dirty, the doors have a slight ghost image of 'TAKITAZIKO', leading me to believe it was https://www.takitaziko.com/ that owned the Hilux in Japan. I don't know for sure, of course, and there is nothing else in the truck to indicate anything.

Tyro posted:

Well I'm still negotiating with the seller but looks like I'm going to end up with a 3rd gen JDM RAV4. FWD, which isn't my preference but will be fine for the intended use. I'll probably try to get something a bit more capable as a second car after I arrive in Africa.

Any recommendations for a head unit I can swap in to use Android Auto/Carplay? Or can I just use whatever would also fit in a US car of the era?

You're getting a bit new, but typically the headunit can be moved around any model from across the world. Keep in mind that I'm stuck 25 years in the past.