Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Oh you poor fucker... twice the cost in batteries for the same mediocre performance...

Also 750kg payload in a single cab hilux.... I may owe my poor twin cab hilux an apology because that poor thing has had easily north of a tonne in the tray many many many times...

If you ever want to drop a 1KZ into that I’ve got a build guide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

dual battery bros! and my trim on the Surf is SSR-X

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love it. Awesome in every way

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, it is a slow Hilux :australia:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
What's slower, a 4 door 3.5 liter PZ Land Cruiser or this 2.8 3L Hilux? I'm used to slow!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

What's slower, a 4 door 3.5 liter PZ Land Cruiser or this 2.8 3L Hilux? I'm used to slow!

Kei trucks are faster than that diesel Hilux. Seriously.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kei trucks are faster than that diesel Hilux. Seriously.

My kei class Pajero Mini NA auto is pretty freaking slow, but I love driving it.

I have a literal 20 foot long hi Ace with the 2.4 and I would not consider it slow. Y’all have some different expectations than I do

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm just saying, back when I worked in Japan we had a few diesel Hiluxes and a bunch a kei trucks and the kei trucks were usually quicker.

The Hilux is still a great truck it's just really slow, but if slow doesn't really bother you it's not even an issue then.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm just saying, back when I worked in Japan we had a few diesel Hiluxes and a bunch a kei trucks and the kei trucks were usually quicker.

The Hilux is still a great truck it's just really slow, but if slow doesn't really bother you it's not even an issue then.

Have you driven a 4 door PZ Cruiser though? I ask because those bastards are ultra heavy and also powered by a naturally aspirated diesel, and as a result are quite slow. The 2.4 2L-TE in our big Prado was also quite slow and down to 2.4 liters of displacement, but was at least turbo.
I just wonder because this single cab Hilux is only missing .7 liters of displacement but is carrying probably a couple hundred pounds less.
Kei trucks aren't slow like a big NA diesel is slow, since the keis don't weigh anything they can get away with hilariously low displacement. When you have a 40~ hp kei truck vs a 114~ HP Land Cruiser I just wonder the difference in how they perform.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 22, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

Have you driven a 4 door PZ Cruiser though? I ask because those bastards are ultra heavy and also powered by a naturally aspirated diesel, and as a result are quite slow. The 2.4 2L-TE in our big Prado was also quite slow and down to 2.4 liters of displacement, but was at least turbo.
I just wonder because this single cab Hilux is only missing .7 liters of displacement but is carrying probably a couple hundred pounds less.
Kei trucks aren't slow though what are you smoking? They weigh like 2 farts.

There’s a really good reason why the saying “always late in a 2.8”

I got overtaken going up a hill on the freeway in mine by a Scania B double.... I had 400kg in the tray.

Further to that they don’t breath for poo poo in stock form. The tacho past 2800rpm was redundant on mine because no matter how long you held the foot down it just couldn’t move enough air to rev out at all. Adding extractors and a 2” mandrel bent exhaust at least allowed it to spin up to 3500rpm

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 22, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be feeling so smug if i were you, considering there's no dual .50 cal in the bed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Kei trucks aren't slow like a big NA diesel is slow, since the keis don't weigh anything they can get away with hilariously low displacement. When you have a 40~ hp kei truck vs a 114~ HP Land Cruiser I just wonder the difference in how they perform.

The Hilux trucks we had were base model single cab, short bed 2wd MT with column shifter, so the smallest and lightest possible. I just remember them having no power band whatsoever, flooring it and being like wtf. But at least they were normal sized and comfortable, the Kei trucks sucked for that but scooted better than the Hilux.

I don't really think it's going to matter for that truck you got tho, whoever buys it is going to want it for a dependable 4wd. It's the perfect truck for someone with lots of acreage on a farm or something and will be a great work truck. I wouldn't want one for a daily driver tho.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
STREET. 85 4wd Acty with factory AC and 5 speed, showing 3k km I can’t verify it but it certainly could pass for it inside.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Though it being a 4wd pretty much precludes it, I feel like honda civic racers and the like would go apeshit for that thing slammed on some cool looking rims.

:whatup:STREET

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I’m still waiting for the camper walkthrough. :11tea:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

I’m still waiting for the camper walkthrough. :11tea:

Will try tomorrow. Actually attempted to do it a few days ago but kids went ape over it and took the phone and did their own walkthrough which was a blurry mess that didnt show anything. Will try tomorrow for real.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

STREET. 85 4wd Acty with factory AC and 5 speed, showing 3k km I can’t verify it but it certainly could pass for it inside.

Looks awesome as hell, though your rear tires certainly have many more than 3k km on it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Looks awesome as hell, though your rear tires certainly have many more than 3k km on it.

Oh yeah I know but inside is fantastic, and these have dual sliding doors I had no idea! Factory ac and this cool factory lock box up front and spotless inside. Very happy with this one!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's no way those tires have 3k. Maybe 50k... miles.

Either it got rolled back or someone slapped some worn out tires on it from this millennium just so they'd hold air. I sure wouldn't want to air up 35 year old tires!

So clean, either way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing they put on some used tires to get it to pass inspection.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Those wouldn't pass inspection here, and TX just wants 3/32 IIRC. Those rear tires look like they're almost slicks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh I didn't realize how much I could zoom in

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

There’s a really good reason why the saying “always late in a 2.8”
The UK ones of that generation were the 2.4D IIRC... which makes no less power than the 2.8, and only 10% less torque.

Seem to be borderline unkillable though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Though it being a 4wd pretty much precludes it, I feel like honda civic racers and the like would go apeshit for that thing slammed on some cool looking rims.

:whatup:STREET

Searching for images of "slammed acty" seem to indicate there's just not a lot of room to lower them regardless, sadly. Especially since almost any tire/wheel wider than the pizza cutters that come on it poke at least a little.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I am @carsfromafar on IG follow me (please!)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

I would have gone with @ittybittykeicommittee

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

I would have gone with @ittybittykeicommittee

Kei class vehicles make a tiny (ha) portion of my fleet

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

everdave posted:

Done!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I have performed necromancy

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Done. Still mad at myself for not throwing a bid at the blue Acty. How long until we see the bucket truck and fire truck on BaT or are you going to try selling via other means first?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

KakerMix posted:

Looks really nice. Do you do all that work yourself?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Done. Still mad at myself for not throwing a bid at the blue Acty. How long until we see the bucket truck and fire truck on BaT or are you going to try selling via other means first?

Just put a new clutch in the bucket truck, need to figure out the actual bucket for function and pics, etc... before I list it. I submitted the Bongo fire truck to BAT haven't heard back but I don't see why they wouldn't take it, the Bluebird and Pajero Mini are going live on Bat within a few days...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Looks really nice. Do you do all that work yourself?

Yeah, but it isn't incredible technical work or anything, just a lot of time.

It can not be overstated just how far you can bring a car back by going over it with some sort of compound and a good wax.
I always wash and use a claybar sponge during to get the surfaces clean, then over it with an orbital polisher with Chemical Guys VSS (a single stage compound lmao I ain't doing no double or triple stage) then I finish it off with Collinite wax. Taking my time it takes two days with me letting the car dry over night to do the polishing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

Done! (I'm SoylentDonor)

KakerMix posted:

Beauty!

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

KakerMix posted:

:discourse:

re: 2.8D hilux chat: in South Africa they say “it won’t get you into the bush very fast... but it will always get you out of the bush”

where’s this KZ swap manual that was mentioned? I’d love to do that swap to mine someday...

also dual batteries were a factory option, my LN106 has them. it’s still 12v

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

snugglz posted:

:discourse:

re: 2.8D hilux chat: in South Africa they say “it won’t get you into the bush very fast... but it will always get you out of the bush”

where’s this KZ swap manual that was mentioned? I’d love to do that swap to mine someday...

also dual batteries were a factory option, my LN106 has them. it’s still 12v

Its less of a manual, more of a build guide. I've got one i built sitting at my parents place with 510,000km on the clock. You basically need half of a KZN130 surf, an adapter plate for the transmission to transfer and a custom exhaust.

They're terrifyingly quick. The steering and brakes are certainly not to the same capability as the 3.0TD engine!

Realistically its not a hard swap- You need to delete the EGR pipe off the engine to get yourself another inch of firewall clearance (that I didnt do and regret), build a small adapter plate on the transmission crossmember to put the transmission mount backwards a bit, cut off and move the engine mount legs back about 70mm and then it just basically drops in. The beauty of using an engine from a KZ130 surf is that the surf and hilux wiring looms are practically identitcal, so you just gut the hilux loom out and drop the surf loom in. The only thing you need to change on the loom is that the Left Hand indicators and fuel level sender go down the left hand side of the surf, but on the hilux all go out through the main loom under the drivers seat on the right, so you'll need to bring those wires across in the loom, you need to do some fiddling with the gearbox loom to suit the hilux transfer (or you can just use the surf gear drive transfer, but the hilux one has better reduction ratios and the option of putting crawler gears in like i did- 4.7:1 low range woo!) and the side marker indicators in the guards need the hilux plugs cut off and spliced onto the surf loom.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My Pajero Mini is live on BAT!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-mitsubishi-pajero-mini/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Good luck!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I love it. I couldn't help myself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I love it. I couldn't help myself...

Nice!

And my Bluebird wagon just went live too https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-nissan-bluebird/