Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
There is a guy in the local car scene (in Texas) who sells lots of JDM cars that are obviously here illegally. Like 99 Skylines, early 00s WRX Stis, etc. I'm extremely curious how he gets them here since I assume that stuff would get seized at the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Shamino posted:

There is a guy in the local car scene (in Texas) who sells lots of JDM cars that are obviously here illegally. Like 99 Skylines, early 00s WRX Stis, etc. I'm extremely curious how he gets them here since I assume that stuff would get seized at the border.

Tens of thousands of containers daily, or someone can have it shipped to Canada and just drive it across the border. A million ways. Run far away, do things legally.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Do they have TX plates?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Shamino posted:

RIP each and every one of those cars.

Report this guy before he brings over even more steel that'll get crushed.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Big Taint posted:

Do they have TX plates?

Yep.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Shamino posted:

Homeland Security (Border Patrol) have very large differences in what they find important. If you try bringing any of that poo poo to Tacoma or Long Beach they will spot you coming from a mile away. Florida and Texas (the two large illegal import states) seem to be focused on keeping other things out of the country. Also, it blows my mind that you can do this but if you wanted to illegally import a car you can pick it up at port and drive it to any Customs office in the country and have them inspect it. One of the less scrupulous dealers in Portland does this with his Kei Trucks. He picks them up in Tacoma and has the Portland Customs office complete the paperwork (who deals with a fraction of the auto imports that Tacoma does, so doesnt know what to look for as well).

If you ever end up buying an illegal one a good thing to remember is that just because an agent ok'ed the paperwork , that does not give you immunity or mean the car can be in the country. Additionally, if its imported before its 25 yr mark it can never become legal, even after it hits the 25 yr mark. There also is unlimited liability to the importer , and no statute if they illegally import. If the car gets crushed and you could prove you didnt know you could go back and get the importer for damages at any time.

Lastly, report that dude to your local customs office. It fucks it up for everyone else and nice cars are risking getting crushed and we gotta save the JDMs not kill em. I work with a couple of agents and they all said they lick their chops at tips like that cause it makes them look really good to their bosses, so they will definitely act on that poo poo.

edit: It also helps to know that there are two types of import methods, RORO and container. The big boys are filling containers with these cars and probably mislabeling the contents. The containers are inspected randomly, and the rate of inspection is maybe 5% of the port capacity so the odds are pretty slim.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 18, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love that apparently Canadian customs opens my boxes of broken computer parts from Japan more frequently than the notoriously xenophobic US border patrol opens mislabeled shipping containers.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

If you ever end up buying an illegal one a good thing to remember is that just because an agent ok'ed the paperwork , that does not give you immunity or mean the car can be in the country. Additionally, if its imported before its 25 yr mark it can never become legal, even after it hits the 25 yr mark. There also is unlimited liability to the importer , and no statute if they illegally import. If the car gets crushed and you could prove you didnt know you could go back and get the importer for damages at any time.

I remember all the Defenders with mismatched VINs that got crushed like 10 years ago. Kind of a shame they can't force the cars to be returned to their home country instead of destroying them for a YouTube video.

Which, to why I wandered into this thread:. We are one year out from Lancer Evo 4 legality. Are there any reputable services that will store one for me for a year? I noticed the price is already rocketing up on evo 4s and will likely shoot up on 5s and 6s soon. Seems like if I could store it for a year for $50-100/mo I'd be way ahead than competing when the 25 year mark opens.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Shamino posted:

I remember all the Defenders with mismatched VINs that got crushed like 10 years ago. Kind of a shame they can't force the cars to be returned to their home country instead of destroying them for a YouTube video.

Which, to why I wandered into this thread:. We are one year out from Lancer Evo 4 legality. Are there any reputable services that will store one for me for a year? I noticed the price is already rocketing up on evo 4s and will likely shoot up on 5s and 6s soon. Seems like if I could store it for a year for $50-100/mo I'd be way ahead than competing when the 25 year mark opens.

Their are a myriad of options in Japan to store a car long term. A year is no problem I have stored cars at just the port for 7 months until they could ship. Have a Pajero mini that will be at port 6+ months now.So yes it is not a problem. People are tucking away Skylines for years from now in Japan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shamino posted:

To add to everdave's post:
Yeah, there are companies that exist specifically to do what you are looking to do. Would explain why the prices are already going up as well since people are socking away those Evos already.
Just make sure the vehicle is stored indoors, you don't want an Evo sitting at the docks for months.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There is also the option of shipping them to me in Canada. :v:

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

everdave posted:

Their are a myriad of options in Japan to store a car long term. A year is no problem I have stored cars at just the port for 7 months until they could ship. Have a Pajero mini that will be at port 6+ months now.So yes it is not a problem. People are tucking away Skylines for years from now in Japan.

What are you paying per month?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Fermented Tinal posted:

There is also the option of shipping them to me in Canada. :v:

Are you in BC? My big hurdle going in to CA is that nonresident s are not allowed to ship into the country (except for certain circumstances).

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
No, I'm in Ontario nowhere near a major port. I was largely kidding.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Shamino posted:

What are you paying per month?

it is not much...let me look at this one i just won a few weeks ago that is a march 96....

Ok so I won the Pajero Mini in August, you have 70 days free at port in Japan (nice), my additional storage until I guess February is only 65k yen on my invoice. That is $621

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, repainted, warranty booklet, owner's manual, signage, studless tires, cargo area dents scratches surface rust, steering wheel worn, fire parts as is, small chips in windshield, interior dirty, other dents and scratches

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, block area slightly oily but not dripping, studless tires with cracks, spare ok, cargo area surface rust and some paint peeling/light corrosion but no holes, undercarriage/fenders/wheel wells ok, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, small tear in drivers seat near lever, ceiling liner ok, dashboard ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

1992 Nissan Truck, QMD21, aka HARDBODY. Firetruck, so red as heck, livery, lights, radio, and siren. Gasoline this time rather than diesel, but that's ok. 10,000 km total. Quadcab as well, so that's cool. Did you catch the big deal though? This 1992 fire truck as AIR CONDITIONING. I've never seen AC on an older fire truck like this, as we march into 1996 legality its becoming more common, but on a 92? Get outta here. Also of note is the bed isn't as modified as some, it has both full length sides without the chunk cut out for the giant hose. Didn't pay much at all for it either.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So did you get that one? It was on my list I went hard for a bongo friendee and decided to pass on the fire Datsun but yes it has true ac rare as poo poo I confirmed it all. Great buy I’m still waiting to hear on my huge bid on a camper

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KakerMix posted:

1992 Nissan Truck, QMD21, aka HARDBODY. Firetruck, so red as heck, livery, lights, radio, and siren. Gasoline this time rather than diesel, but that's ok. 10,000 km total. Quadcab as well, so that's cool. Did you catch the big deal though? This 1992 fire truck as AIR CONDITIONING. I've never seen AC on an older fire truck like this, as we march into 1996 legality its becoming more common, but on a 92? Get outta here. Also of note is the bed isn't as modified as some, it has both full length sides without the chunk cut out for the giant hose. Didn't pay much at all for it either.

I've seen plenty of USDM D21s that didn't have AC. In Texas.

An ex in high school had a 90 or 91 D21 that had exactly one option - AC. Vinyl seats and flooring, manual transmission, single cab... basically a work truck. Salvage title, but whoever fixed it did a good enough job. Blew my mind when it blasted cold air out of the vents the first time I rode in it, I'd never seen one of them with AC before.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

everdave posted:

it is not much...let me look at this one i just won a few weeks ago that is a march 96....

Ok so I won the Pajero Mini in August, you have 70 days free at port in Japan (nice), my additional storage until I guess February is only 65k yen on my invoice. That is $621

Thanks for sharing that. Is it safe to leave a 90s mitsubishi at the port for 6 months, won't it turn into a pile of rust? What happens when it doesn't fire up for them to roll it onto the ship?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Shamino posted:

Thanks for sharing that. Is it safe to leave a 90s mitsubishi at the port for 6 months, won't it turn into a pile of rust? What happens when it doesn't fire up for them to roll it onto the ship?

Would you want to leave a car exposed to salt water, sunlight and rain for 6 months? I wouldn't, not in a million years.
If it doesn't fire up they use a giant forklift to roll it on or off. This happens often enough with 70 series Land Cruisers because they have 24v electricals and not many people have jump boxes capable of jumping a 24v truck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Still has plastic on the doors, I have to assume the seats were covered in plastic the whole time as well, it's just so clean and the colors so vibrant. Someone loved this lil' truck and you can easily tell. AC, PTO winch, fog lights, custom rear step. Looks extremely harvest.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
THAT FUKKEN UPHOLSTERY! :swoon:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

L'il leaky around that rear diff fill hole (hopefully just a crush gasket), but beautiful otherwise. gently caress. That upholstery....

Also, I'd definitely keep the odd blue mat in the front. Haha. Love it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Delica box truck/ refrigerated truck / ?

18k miles with AC

everdave fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 23, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

Delica box truck/ refrigerated truck / ?

18k miles with AC

I don't see a reefer unit. Looks like a catering truck. Maybe racks inside?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That would make a hell of a camper conversion. Not sure if it would be terrible or just not great. Think of the insulation though!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Probably going to offer this to some local small breweries first as a delivery vehicle, which I have been asked about before. They will probably not want to pay what I want and then who knows. I think it could be a rad camper. Or just sell as is I got this for a very, very good price I am in no rush to move it. Super low miles and AC and a pretty rare configuration in this shape, will see.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's perfect for a small-batch artisan morgue.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What are the interior dimensions of the box?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

What are the interior dimensions of the box?

It's in Japan so not sure but a Delica is a pretty normal size truck so should be rather large interior.

Scored some headrests at the junkyard for free (well I have had paintwork done there and fixed their computers) for the Turbo Atrai. The leather/vinyl ones will be perfect match for fronts if they clean up the ones I have on there are a good match but not quite the same shade. I will edit and add photos. Also have a video of the first turbo pulls in the Atrai.

And a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwnuCiPUkA

everdave fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 23, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I was thinking, drat, that's pretty quick... then realized kph, not mph. :lol:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

Still has plastic on the doors, I have to assume the seats were covered in plastic the whole time as well, it's just so clean and the colors so vibrant. Someone loved this lil' truck and you can easily tell. AC, PTO winch, fog lights, custom rear step. Looks extremely harvest.

Am I the only one who remembers when parts stores used to sell universal replacement knobs for radios? :corsair:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

STR posted:

Am I the only one who remembers when parts stores used to sell universal replacement knobs for radios? :corsair:

Nope. It's bizarre to think about.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Anyone catch this?

https://youtu.be/Op4JWf25uus

Wow. Sunglasses suggest jacked up used JDM junkers that are almost certainly all hiding catastrophic secrets isn’t the only thing this dude is selling. Everything about all of those screams run, run far far away.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

STR posted:

They still do.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-radio-knob-assortment-76874/10721160-P?searchTerm=radio%20knob

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I remember when wiper refills weren't special order. Seriously, what the gently caress is up with that? Maybe I should just put j-hook arms on the cruiser...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shows not available for in-store pickup... at all, for any of the radio knobs/buttons they sell, they're all order online only. So my point stands :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

STR posted:

Shows not available for in-store pickup... at all, for any of the radio knobs/buttons they sell, they're all order online only. So my point stands :v:
Its not my fault that texas is texas. :colbert:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cage posted:

Its not my fault that texas is texas. :colbert:

Well if you're gonna drive in Texas, you gotta fiddle with the volume in the van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

therobit posted:

Well if you're gonna drive in Texas, you gotta fiddle with the volume in the van.

:golfclap: