Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Because fixed price is vehicles at dealers and their retail price.

Be patient and check often for a good one to come up at auction. Follow the great info and guide in this thread. Have a deposit in, get any that come up inspected. Don’t just buy the first one if it’s not what you are looking for.

If there are multiple in auction history then it won’t be long til another comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

It really is, such a personality. Got the tires on order, will have to refinish the wheels and attempt to repair the plastic center caps with Plastex, this powder/liquid kit for repairing and rebuilding plastic I've had success with before. It's either that or model them out and 3D print them and hope they survive being exposed to the elements.

Can confirm that Plastex is the poo poo, though I have found another product that is exactly the same thing, at least in terms of the raw materials. It does lack the nifty molding putty and very useful applicator the Plastex kits come from, so I use it for refills, basically:
https://www.plast-aid.com/index.html

Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Plast-aid-Repair-Plastic-1-5oz-80100/dp/B004DFHLUA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1442707761&sr=8-11&keywords=plastex
(also in larger sizes and multi-packs.)

I wish I knew exactly what solvent(s) the liquid is - I doubt very seriously it costs anywhere near as much as they and Plastex charge for it, and powdered ABS is almost literally dirt-cheap.

Regarding 3D printed stuff, it would depend on what material you use, and whether you coat it and what with. If you're printer can use ABS, that's what 90% of automotive plastics are - just paint to protect from UV and weathering.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The Toyota "Super Strut Suspension" is a pain in the butt in general, and most parts specific to it are less than cheap.

Worth it though because the GT-Four rules.

Ihmemies posted:

I have been looking for facelift amg line GLK 350.

Get car japan has 13 "fix price" and 0 at auction.

Fix price is 20k+ while auction history showed 13-15k EUR.

So why some cars are fix price and some sold by auction? Why the "fix" price is so much higher?

If I can get a car for like 13-15 instead of 20k€ I save around 10000€ in taxes. Just wondering.

As mentioned 'FIX' price is more like a buy it now situation being sold at dealers or retail locations and the prices reflect that. Moreover, the price history mostly can't be trusted. It's a broken system that isn't 100% because USS doesn't share prices, and it can't separate itself out reliably from say, a normal Pajero and a Pajero Evo, or a normal Mark II and a Tourer V. It is not reliable at all.

Darchangel posted:

Can confirm that Plastex is the poo poo, though I have found another product that is exactly the same thing, at least in terms of the raw materials. It does lack the nifty molding putty and very useful applicator the Plastex kits come from, so I use it for refills, basically:
https://www.plast-aid.com/index.html

Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Plast-aid-Repair-Plastic-1-5oz-80100/dp/B004DFHLUA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1442707761&sr=8-11&keywords=plastex
(also in larger sizes and multi-packs.)

I wish I knew exactly what solvent(s) the liquid is - I doubt very seriously it costs anywhere near as much as they and Plastex charge for it, and powdered ABS is almost literally dirt-cheap.

Regarding 3D printed stuff, it would depend on what material you use, and whether you coat it and what with. If you're printer can use ABS, that's what 90% of automotive plastics are - just paint to protect from UV and weathering.

Hell yeah, thanks for looking out on the refills. I'm sure I can get it looking quite good with the Plastex, just brittle old Plastic and poorly-attempted to be repaired. Re 3D printing I don't have that capability myself though I have friends and people I could tap for that. The biggest issue is making the model itself really, and they'd be painted with white enamel paint (aka appliance paint, poo poo rules) so UV wouldn't be a problem. Mostly me worrying about how it's not a single molded part and is built in layers. We've had license plate adapters start to seperate after a couple years.

This is the worst one and I'll have the break it to fix it. After that's done they'll get hit with the same white enamel that the wheels themselves will be painted with. I'm confident I'll get it looking great.

Sold the white Hilux yesterday, and spent the rest of that day cleaning out the inside of the smoker-iest vehicle we've ever had, the GT-Four!

Smoker's tar, just off the plastic. This next picture is just off the little back seat window behind the driver's seat, glass only:

Don't smoke, that poo poo is hellaciously gross.

Then today washed, polished, and waxed the exterior, just in time for it to be rained on tomorrow :toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

Don't smoke, that poo poo is hellaciously gross.

Yup. Did you ozone the poo poo out of it to get the smell out?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

meatpimp posted:

Yup. Did you ozone the poo poo out of it to get the smell out?

Mostly, yeah. I ran it a total of three times over three nights, with the last time getting 10 minutes with it running and the AC on, then sitting overnight. Now it smells to be at the point where driving it around with the windows open will further blast the smell out to an unnoticeable level.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cars and Coffee tomorrow :toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KakerMix posted:

Hopefully with both, because they both rule.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Unf

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cb-s1OyF-8I/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hell yeah

FINALLY secured the Caldina GT-T, and now we have owned every nameplate ever equipped with the 3S-GTE.

soon

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Just like that, GT-Four is sold. We had only a little bit to enjoy it, wife took it out for her weekend errands once and now its gone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I seriously love that. 6th gen Celica is a fave.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I remember Kaker talking about these morons wanting to buy one of his vehicles recently...

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

dphi posted:

I remember Kaker talking about these morons wanting to buy one of his vehicles recently...

I hope those Hiluxes survive, and murder him Christine-style.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dphi posted:

Why do you bring this filth into this holiest of threads

:negative:

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.
Absolutely not surprised Japanese Classics sponsored this idiot. At least the vehicles he's going to trash are probably already grade R painted to look like 3.5.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KakerMix posted:

Why do you bring this filth into this holiest of threads

:negative:

I wonder if we can get that Team Free Spirit guy to go on and berate the entire thing and shine a light on the crap!

I have posted in the post your own ride thread but since I am here:

better than drugs Jeremy....

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I wonder if we can get that Team Free Spirit guy to go on and berate the entire thing and shine a light on the crap!

Probably, that's where I saw the screenshot of the post - on his IG story the other day

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beanzor posted:

Absolutely not surprised Japanese Classics sponsored this idiot. At least the vehicles he's going to trash are probably already grade R painted to look like 3.5.

Is there a chance that one could find the previous auctions for any of the dumbass' vehicles? It's be a great internet shaming to show that his chest-thumping about Hiluxes are based on garbage-tier versions.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meatpimp posted:

Is there a chance that one could find the previous auctions for any of the dumbass' vehicles? It's be a great internet shaming to show that his chest-thumping about Hiluxes are based on garbage-tier versions.

Yeah, if Team Free Spirit dude can get the VIN he can look up the auction sheets. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's already working on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
It's Japanese Classics, chances are pretty high that if any of them are wrecks then it would be bought from them. Time and time again they've been shown to do that so why would now be any different.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
KakerMix, just curious, but did you sell a Surf HiLux to someone in Wisconsin? I saw a RHD HiLux on my way to take my son to daycare and I thought of this thread. It looked every bit as cool in person as the one you previously posted.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What are Honda Beats and Suzuki Capuccinos going for nowadays at auction? Have cars like that also generally fallen to the "money is not real" effect?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 12, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

KakerMix, just curious, but did you sell a Surf HiLux to someone in Wisconsin? I saw a RHD HiLux on my way to take my son to daycare and I thought of this thread. It looked every bit as cool in person as the one you previously posted.

Not that I'm aware of, the only one that could realistically be is the 1985 one with the fender mirros.

Russian Bear posted:

What are Honda Beats and Suzuki Capuccinos going for nowadays at auction? Have cars like that also generally fallen to the "money is not real" effect?

Expect to pay 8k USD for a really nice good Beat, maybe 10k for the same condition Cappuccino.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Not that I'm aware of, the only one that could realistically be is the 1985 one with the fender mirros.

Expect to pay 8k USD for a really nice good Beat, maybe 10k for the same condition Cappuccino.

I would have expected it the other way around. Thanks for the info!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Russian Bear posted:

I would have expected it the other way around. Thanks for the info!

The value goes in descending order: AZ-1, Cappo, Beat.
They made more Beats by a significant amount and it's also the least 'sports' one. They are all slow and the Beat is really fun to wring out. If I had to live with one it would be the Beat.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fleet Beats meet beat Beats at the Beat meet (get your mind out the gutter).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

KakerMix posted:

The value goes in descending order: AZ-1, Cappo, Beat.
They made more Beats by a significant amount and it's also the least 'sports' one. They are all slow and the Beat is really fun to wring out. If I had to live with one it would be the Beat.

Cappuccinos are pretty fun to wring out too. I had a blast with mine at a track day recently. Also for buying advice I'd try to find one with the best rubber bits on it. like the body seals, trim, etc. Most of that stuff is either discontinued or super expensive. Both of mine are lacking in that area. I'll probably just have to find a third one at some point that looks better. I have to sell my second one before I start looking again though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCPU6AjsfY

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

Fleet Beats meet beat Beats at the Beat meet (get your mind out the gutter).

Beat Meet Manifesto

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

1988 Hilux sold today, paid full asking, no hassle, no negotiation. Because we've had it for a while we made an insane profit on it, absolutely goofy money.

Someone else asked about this Hilux after we accepted a deposit on it so it wasn't for sale anymore, but we did have another:

1990 Hilux LN106 double cab, 5 speed, 4WD, cool OEM Toyota electric winch. Cleaned up and waiting for the weekend to take pictures.

So they came and looked, test drove it, said they'd let us know. Tire kicker, and we're usually really good about weeding them out. However my wife posted a little video on instagram about the test drive of it, and someone else that follows us messaged and said they didn't know 'that one' was for sale yet, and were relieved that they didn't buy it. Put down a deposit, sent his cousin (as the buyer is in Louisiana) to check it out for him, and now we're in the process of squaring everything away to have to shipped out to the guy.

Then the tire kicker messaged the next day asking about the truck, told him we took a deposit on it, then said "You weren't kidding when you said they went fast" yeah no poo poo buddy :colbert:

Hiluxes: Everyone wants em'

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KakerMix posted:

Hiluxes: Everyone wants em'

Especially when you get such pretty ones.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Quoting for :3:

Am I a fool for still wanting a Pike car? It looks like Duncan is siphoning them all up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Failson posted:

Am I a fool for still wanting a Pike car? It looks like Duncan is siphoning them all up.

If you want one, go for it. I'd argue they aren't good cars, but if the style is enough then they could be your most favorite car you've ever had. Duncan has a bunch but there are always more.

Guy who bought our gray doublecab Hilux picked it up over the weekend. While we were waiting for him to show up got a family picture before it left our care.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I wonder if anyone's ever gone with Full Stupid Exhaust (Tubi, etc.) on a V12 Century.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever gone with Full Stupid Exhaust (Tubi, etc.) on a V12 Century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sxZmdg1vM

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yeeeah that's the good poo poo.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I skimmed through the video. Aren't the japanese V12s fairly low reving? How does that sound so good?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
6000rpm rev limit stock which seems to be enough.

Here's one with ITB's if you want induction noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyw20RCk8Yo

Similarly, Harry Metcalfe's XJC V12 only revs to about 6k too and it also sounds pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GNk0Yn6lg&t=401s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I skimmed through the video. Aren't the japanese V12s fairly low reving? How does that sound so good?

Titanium exhaust makes any engine sound exotic.