Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Faster Blaster posted:

RCR did a walkaround of a Daihatsu Mitsubishi Delica Delcia. I kinda liked these goofball offroad-y micro vans before, and seeing the weird little quirks hasn't put me off. I have to imagine sourcing parts to fix any special snowflake options is a nightmare, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5duIcIW1s

Maybe I can get one after I graduate. :sigh:

Maaaan that RCR dude is quite clueless and the more he talks about imports the worse it gets. Ask me about how he pronounced 'kei' and where he thought the radiator was in a Honda Acty :argh:
It's pronounced 'Delica' like 'Celica' as it's a contraction of 'Delivery car' and that's the first dang line in Wikipedia :argh: :argh: Toyota Selseeya. :argh: :argh: :argh:

The 4 Wheel drive versions are essentially Pajeros with the van on top and are extremely popular in the pacific northwest, so much so that there are groups and garages that cater to them specifically. If it's a 4WD van you can bet your rear end they are well loved up there. Every time Garbagemen loses a bid on one that's probably because some #vanlife hipster in Washington state outbid him.

Parts, like most things, is easy you are just going to pay for shipping. And the assumption is you are going to pay a premium for work done over here because it's so weird, otherwise you can do it yourself.
Here is the model in the RCR video, the 'parts not available' that Bruce said is just wrong.

And here is the ~Crystal Roof~ and all the part numbers WOW. Pricey but all the parts are a bit cheaper on amayama. Those $632 parts for the shades are $452 there.

It won't be quick but lol the idea that they are painfully slow, it's a 4WD van meant to low-range up a mountain. The whole deal is to torque faces off not drag strip win or whatever. They are also pretty pricey considering, there are a lot of people that like them and it drives prices up. See that 1984 one I saw that went for 8k. This one in the RCR video is probably a 6 or 7 k one, maybe, I'm guessing from the mileage.

MikeyTsi posted:

There's a surprising number of R32's running around my home state here.

Yeah for a lot of people 'Skyline' is all you need, so you can drive around a grandma-spec one and be cool. To have a real GTR though like in my mangas and animes :swoon:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Picked up Kei trucks at port yesterday, boy is that a magical place. Saw a train of four dodge trucks with three kei trucks each (one in the bed, 2 on the trailers). Saw a guy with 3 delicas (one that i bid on, gently caress that guy) and a defender. and saw a guy with a trailer that had a mint as gently caress r32 gtr, a gts-4, and a kei van (sambar i believe fourth gen) in the truck bed.

Mean while we hosed up our calculations and our trailer was short. So I trailered one and my buddy had the joy of driving at 60 for 3 hours back down to Vancouver in one. Will have a real update with actual costs and pics probably this weekend.

Have had a gently caress load of people come up and ask if they are for sale and how much, I keep thinking it can't be this easy. WA State titles come in 4-6 weeks so it will give me time to do cheap easy repairs.

Also I might be falling for the Daihatsu, it such a cool little nugget.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Yeah for a lot of people 'Skyline' is all you need, so you can drive around a grandma-spec one and be cool. To have a real GTR though like in my mangas and animes :swoon:

Most if not all of the ones around here are GTR's, a good portion of which were sourced by Motorex.

I saw one in person once, one of the chauffeurs for one of the specialty rental places (they'll drive you around in old Rolls' and such) had one and it was sitting in the garage.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Probably way off topic but has anyone ever owned/looked at a toyota chaser/tourer jzx100?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SquirrelGrip posted:

Probably way off topic but has anyone ever owned/looked at a toyota chaser/tourer jzx100?

I imagine those are still reasonably well sought after, I've seen a few here in the UK despite them never being sold here and doesn't Daigo roll in one?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I imagine those are still reasonably well sought after, I've seen a few here in the UK despite them never being sold here and doesn't Daigo roll in one?

Yeah he had/has a crazy one

Curious if anyone has used one as a daily like they were designed

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's a guy round by me that has one, never caught him to talk to but it seems to be daily driven rather than a weekend thing.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
i had a chat to some guys in nz who import/comply/sell them and its a perfectly viable dd until the power bug hits you then its no different to any other import

normal service routine and not loving with it should see it last as long as a camry, problem is its a fr sedan with a 1j turbo and lsd from factory which would be fun to throw around

i want one so im going to check out the frontrunner in a few hours. white 99 tourer v, factory manual/lsd/sunroof. imported with coilovers/exhaust/wheels so not quite completely stock, and im not a fan of the trd kit but everything else is on point

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I kinda want a Soarer, but I'd probably just build it from a SC.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MikeyTsi posted:

I actually have one of the mystical SC300s with a manual transmission, probably going to sell it soon since now that my wife has her Tracker sorted and it's done biting me there is little reason to have it sitting around.

Currently looking for the next purchases, just got the importation paperwork sorted for the incoming Acty and Rugger and boy I need to go shopping again.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I actually have one of the mystical SC300s with a manual transmission, probably going to sell it soon since now that my wife has her Tracker sorted and it's done biting me there is little reason to have it sitting around.

Currently looking for the next purchases, just got the importation paperwork sorted for the incoming Acty and Rugger and boy I need to go shopping again.

Is that the same transmission the twin-turbo uses?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MikeyTsi posted:

Is that the same transmission the twin-turbo uses?

Doesn't look like it, the sc300 (and non-turbo Soarers) used the W58, the turbo Soarers used the R154. I know (and the wikipedia article mentions) that the W58 is used in applications that require a strong transmission for peoples' projects, but looking at both they are used a lot in all sorts of things including various truck applications so seem to be strong designs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

W58 is what I have in my mk3 Supra. Feels very solid but it's definitely a truck transmission, it's not what you'd call 'smooth' and having rented a new Honda recently and getting back into mine it just highlighted how awful it is :v:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

MikeyTsi posted:

we have hundreds here for sale

was given the keys and a dealer plate to the chaser because they were busy moving cars before a storm came

i want it, buttery and sedate off boost, foot in its like a fat supra

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guess I'll ask here since it seems like the most appropriate thread:

What would be a fair price to pay for a red FD RX-7 in fair condition, owned as a weekend car, that was maintained sporadically? The catch is it belongs to an ex-girlfriend's dad who I'd have to get in touch with. Car is in the northeast.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you're going to sell a manual SC300 please let a good have a crack at it first.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Guess I'll ask here since it seems like the most appropriate thread:

What would be a fair price to pay for a red FD RX-7 in fair condition, owned as a weekend car, that was maintained sporadically? The catch is it belongs to an ex-girlfriend's dad who I'd have to get in touch with. Car is in the northeast.

You should ask that here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562990

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

W58 is what I have in my mk3 Supra. Feels very solid but it's definitely a truck transmission, it's not what you'd call 'smooth' and having rented a new Honda recently and getting back into mine it just highlighted how awful it is :v:

From my Acty to the SC300 is enough to notice that :v: :v:

Wrar posted:

If you're going to sell a manual SC300 please let a good have a crack at it first.

For sure I'll let goons go first. Why, you interested? :haw:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Goons, incoming effort post:

Here are the numbers to get a car into the country (for the PNW):
Kei Truck price FOB (unique situation): 2,500
New Tyres at Port: 300
Inspections on failed Bids: 110
Inter. Wire fee : 40
Shipper Freight Charges : 135
Domestic Wire Fee : 25
Broker Fee (long story about this): 721.50 (this is made up of 10+2 filing and bond, 25% duty, HMF, 7501 bond, broker fee, probably missing something here) (very bitter about this experience)
WA Plate and Reg : 244.40 (will depend on your state)
Offloading fee : 161 (this is a flat fee to use the port, does not matter if you import 1 car or 100 cars its per boat)
Suzuki needs a new thermostat : 30
Total : 4,266.90

There are things I am leaving off such as gas and incidentals. Here are my thoughts on the paperwork, the port I am using basically threatened to throw the book at me if I tried to file my own paperwork. I was told that it was possible that USDA would want to come inspect it that could be 3-4 weeks because the agents are busy etc etc, and I must file a 10+2 form (even though I am fairly certain informal entries do not require it) and look at that my 10+2 filing was late and that is a penalty up to 5,000 dollars (per form). So I went with a broker they recommended and basically (what felt like) bribed my way to getting the trucks through (suddenly everything was alright). I dunno maybe I am just whining about the cost of doing business, just feels slimy that my paperwork (the same poo poo that the broker filed) was getting blue balled because reasons.

Anyways that is my story about getting them into the country and registered, gonna do some cheap repairs and touch ups to the Daihatsu and Suzuki while I wait for title's. Have two buyers lined up (one put $500 down to hold it, the other keeps emailing every other day to see if I have titles yet) just need the state to get me titles (4-6 weeks).

Driving impressions, loving awesome. These both are sweet and hella fun to drive. 43 mpg, will do 60 (just barely, but they are also 4 speeds), everyone seems to love them, very capable in nasty terrain, all sorts of weird quirks (can only get heat on your feet , not in the top vents), parking is insanely easy to find.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 26, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

WA Plate and Reg : 244.40 (will depend on your state)

:aaa: loving hell, that's almost as much as I'll pay to plate and register my '10 Equinox!

That sucks about the port and the broker. It really does sound like the "recommended" broker's throwing a kickback to the port paper pushers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So.... post pictures :)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Magnus Praeda posted:

:aaa: loving hell, that's almost as much as I'll pay to plate and register my '10 Equinox!

That sucks about the port and the broker. It really does sound like the "recommended" broker's throwing a kickback to the port paper pushers.

Washington is a sales tax state (no income tax), so I have to pay use tax of 8.5% on the first reg. It is only 65$ every year after that. My business partner is an Oregon resident (income tax no sales tax) and we are trying to register them down there to avoid the use tax but Oregon has some weird emissions testing rules and they are not exempt (Washington they are exempt). The Suzuki failed its first try, HC are too high. I think its cause the thermostat is stuck open and the engine isn't getting up to temp (he drove it all day and I could put my hand on the block and not burn my hand). We shall see though cause we don't want to put much money into it and don't really know how to gently caress with carbs so maybe we just tell Oregon buyers they have to get it to pass emissions.

BlackMK4 posted:

So.... post pictures :)

Going to take some good pics of the small repairs this weekend so you can see the before and after stuff will post then.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 26, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Goons, incoming effort post:
:words:

Man that super sucks, that's the opposite of the experience I had with my Hijet and currently the Acty and Rugger.

In other bidding news:

Putting in a bid on this bad boy, 1992 Toyota Crown Wagon. Dealer maintained, 63000km and blue interior. Wife is actually taken a liking to this so if we win it we might actually keep it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

KakerMix posted:

Man that super sucks, that's the opposite of the experience I had with my Hijet and currently the Acty and Rugger.

In other bidding news:

Putting in a bid on this bad boy, 1992 Toyota Crown Wagon. Dealer maintained, 63000km and blue interior. Wife is actually taken a liking to this so if we win it we might actually keep it.

I love it! The fender mirrors are great. I wish they were a thing in the US.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Didn't win that Crown, rip.

But bidding on another one, this one is a Royal Saloon and has a 1G-GZE supercharged straight 6. :getin:
Being a Royal rather than a Super means it's a higher-end trim, with the supercharger, sun roof bit and neato 2-tone paint. No fender mirrors this time but there is the parking pole.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 27, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If any UK guys are interested, there's a UK Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX R4 for sale by someone on Kei Cars In The Park, it looks pretty straight and the £1250 they're asking seems good.

http://www.kkitp.com/index.php/sales/18863-tr-xx-avanzato-r4-for-sale

They've uploaded some pictures here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wic19z7eaifo115/AADWBJ4DcG2BIdnDuN1-BxNDa?dl=0

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

InitialDave posted:

If any UK guys are interested, there's a UK Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX R4 for sale by someone on Kei Cars In The Park, it looks pretty straight and the £1250 they're asking seems good.

1998, gonna be a long wait

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

1998, gonna be a long wait
Well, that's why I said UK guys. Canadians too, I suppose.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

In other bidding news:

To quote myself earlier this Crown went for 370000 yen, about $3300.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

To quote myself earlier this Crown went for 370000 yen, about $3300.

Do you know if there's a premium for ones with a bench seat in the front? I've always wanted a 6-seater Crown wagon but since they're a lot rarer prices seem to be all over the place, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what fair value is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jomo posted:

Do you know if there's a premium for ones with a bench seat in the front? I've always wanted a 6-seater Crown wagon but since they're a lot rarer prices seem to be all over the place, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what fair value is.

I can't easily tell. Just from looking and assuming I would think the bench seat is a the low-spec option vs. the fancy buckets and that console in the center. The prices don't seem to take that into effect as opposed to stuff like if it's a 'Royal' vs. a 'Super' or has the supercharger or that sunroof panel thing. I can't find a pattern beyond all Royals have the bucket seats while some Supers have benches.

KakerMix posted:

But bidding on another one, this one is a Royal Saloon and has a 1G-GZE supercharged straight 6. :getin:
Being a Royal rather than a Super means it's a higher-end trim, with the supercharger, sun roof bit and neato 2-tone paint. No fender mirrors this time but there is the parking pole.

Didn't even bother bidding on this one, timing belt sticker said it was last changed 14 years ago, even if it is a non-interference engine. Oil was a bit sludgy, coolant overflow tank was empty and the exhaust had a white smoke in it. While timing belt and head gasket jobs are cool lmao no loving THANKS. Inspections are great.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 28, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Aren't there only 2 of these registered in the UK currently?
Fake edit, checked and there's 2 registered 1 SORN'd. Awesome.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I wouldn't be surprised if all the bench seats were swapped into sedans and sold to Hong Kong, Hong Kong taxis are all Toyota Crowns (or Cressidas) and they use the bench seat to advertise the taxi as seating 5, rather than 4.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Aren't there only 2 of these registered in the UK currently?
Fake edit, checked and there's 2 registered 1 SORN'd. Awesome.
It's because a lot would just be registered as "Cuore" or even just "Daihatsu", which is what my V5C says - you can't rely absolutely on the HowManyLeft figures, as what the car's registered as is rather subject to the dealer filling in the initial paperwork. There's definitely more than that (as I've met the guy whose car was on RCR, and this one is another), but they're still exceptionally rare, as there were only 80 UK cars in the first place.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good point, still fantastically rare and a hoot to drive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Got a potential bid going for a 1990 Grade 4 Crown RoyalSaloon Wagon tonight. :getin:

Also received my packages for the 83 Acty and the 85 Rugger. The Rugger actually comes with some extras:

Various papers, including owners manual, warranty card and that blue book in the upper right. That one is exclusively talking about how to use the air conditioner. A big-time option in 85 I imagine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of the wagons would be awesome with left hand drive, I just can't get passed the right hand drive thing, I have no desire to own one in the US. It's a shame because it's seems like there are some good deals to be had like those wagons.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

One of the wagons would be awesome with left hand drive, I just can't get passed the right hand drive thing, I have no desire to own one in the US. It's a shame because it's seems like there are some good deals to be had like those wagons.

I might hate it too but it's so trivial in anything I've driven so far that I can't begin to think it would matter, I don't even have to think anymore it's just the natural thing, even switching cars these days.
Have you driven a right hand drive car in the US yet? I know you were in Japan and was all left-lane driving but I'm curious if it's something you've done and can't get over vs. something you think you won't get over.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

As you know, most of the German luxobarges in Japan are LHD, for much the same reason that RHD conversions are "cool" amongst the amphetamine community. For awhile it was the easiest way to get a Euro-spec E36 M3 into Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I might hate it too but it's so trivial in anything I've driven so far that I can't begin to think it would matter, I don't even have to think anymore it's just the natural thing, even switching cars these days.
Have you driven a right hand drive car in the US yet? I know you were in Japan and was all left-lane driving but I'm curious if it's something you've done and can't get over vs. something you think you won't get over.

Not yet, it's just not something I would want to deal with for a daily driver. For a third car it would be ok, I thought about grabbing a City Turbo but the prices are ridiculous for them.

If I could get one of those Misubishi Jeeps cheap I'd do it, but even then after the all the costs I'd be better off just getting a Wrangler for 5 or 6k.