Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

As in a slide-in camper module for a pickup truck, although in CSB’s case it’s slide on because his pickup is actually a flatbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
There's at least 3 camper threads in AI right now but CSB's aligns pretty closely with what you're doing.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

French Canadian posted:

"it's not mold! it's not mold!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a moldy corn cob

Can't go wrong with vintage @dril :cool:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Port pics I am not sure if I posted the last batch of Atrai, Corsa and an amazing Bongo can if I didn’t here let me know I’ll slap some up.

Super happy with the Estima diesel 5 speed AWD

And the minivan box truck, remember 4wd, 5 speed, AC! I love it

everdave fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 6, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
cool AND hot box

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

cool AND hot box

best of both worlds

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Have you seen anything of the load area of that Kei truck?

The signwriting implies it's a mobile pressure washer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Have you seen anything of the load area of that Kei truck?

The signwriting implies it's a mobile pressure washer.

Yes it has a big water tank, a hose reel and some gauges I just didn’t post, here ya go!

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Boooo, I'm guessing the actual pressure washer unit was stripped out before you got to it, pity.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Boooo, I'm guessing the actual pressure washer unit was stripped out before you got to it, pity.

Well I wasn’t bummed about that until you mentioned it ha. I just bought it for the box truck. What’s a big water tank worth maybe I can get $100 for it on FB marketplace

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Well I wasn’t bummed about that until you mentioned it ha. I just bought it for the box truck. What’s a big water tank worth maybe I can get $100 for it on FB marketplace

A beat up old plastic water tank that is missing the lid and probably has weird (for the US) connections? Sure. Let's say $100.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'd just like to say I've followed this thread from the beginning and love it. Keep on trucking y'all.

Motronic posted:

A beat up old plastic water tank that is missing the lid and probably has weird (for the US) connections? Sure. Let's say $100.

Lol

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I was able to sell my Korean ocean fishing rod to a guy for I think $30? So that was nice.

I wonder how much can I get for this UHF-only antenna that came attached to my camper? I'll even throw in the TV which presumably just does PAL lmao...

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Japan uses NTSC-J, a slightly altered form of standard NTSC, not PAL. I can play all my Japanese laserdiscs just fine on my TV.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

UnkleBoB posted:

Japan uses NTSC-J, a slightly altered form of standard NTSC, not PAL. I can play all my Japanese laserdiscs just fine on my TV.

So...you're interested in my wares, then? :intv:

edit: lmao this Fargo camper came up, identical to mine, and I was worried it was in way awesomer condition but no it's a goddamn nightmare inside. Can't believe they rate it a 3.5....

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-9Yqrf13Rf0Ap8e.htm

This is cool...I wonder what the interior looks like. If I wasn't in my present situation with my camper, but had the knowledge I do now, I think I'd still pass because it's non-turbo. But still...it's nifty! And super low mileage.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHibNabuhOegENV.htm

The 1HZ Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 litre (4164 cc) diesel inline 6-cylinder 12-valve OHC (overhead camshaft) is of the IDI or indirect injection design, and delivers maximum power of 96 kW (129 hp) at 3800 rpm and maximum torque of 285 N⋅m (210 lbf⋅ft) at 2200 rpm.

It's a big drat diesel...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 8, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I screenshot this a few days ago from a FB group I am in, Kaker, is this one of your alumni?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

French Canadian posted:

This camper is a huge project in a small package. I didn't really want a project but here I am.

Should I make a tiny camper/RV thread? Are there other AI goons who have camper projects and want to complain with me?

Hey sorry just saw this, bit behind on threads.
That looks like a Hehr window and is likely bonded in with urethane. The seal you replaced is +/- cosmetic in comparison to the urethane bonding. If you really care you can get some butyl rope off ebay, break off a little chunk and gap fill where the rubber meets the pane's frame. Doubly so if your seal doesn't want to stay put against the glass, cram some butyl rope under it and use painters tape to hold everything in place for 24-48 hours. Works a treat.
Use 4000 to seal the windows to the structure of the camper. From the factory they're using this gray ticky-tac poo poo or butyl rope. Butyl is ok if they did it right. (they didn't)
there's actually 3 points for water ingress with these windows. What you fixed is one of them, and probably the least likely of the three. With the seal removed you can see the condition of the urethane that bonds the window. It's also possible from inside following the edge of the window frame where it meets the window. The urethane seal is critical. The other leak point is where it's attached to the body. Only way to see is to remove the window, or get your garden sprayer and shower the hell out of it risking flooding the vehicle. This is equally critical. 4000 is my recommendation here. Butyl rope only if 3M's stuff is too spendy.

That's definitely mold. Chip away until things aren't soft and easy to remove. Good ply/paneling will be rough to remove in comparison. It's down right laborious.
You can do partial floor replacements by cutting back to the good ply. What you do then is take some extra ply and make a couple strips if you have the room and lack of supports beneath. Screw/epoxy those in place below the fresh cut with it sitting proud. This is to support the new piece of flooring that you'll cut and sit over it. Paint the edges with killz if you're only using liquid nails and screws, I don't recommend this method. Use epoxy. It seeps into the grain of the wood and makes a structural bond to the surrounding decking making it equally strong or stronger than original.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You're allowed to tow that big of a trailer with a pickup truck?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

it's a modern superdooty. rated for a decent sized planet. with a normal license rated for a medium sized asteroid. merica'

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

it's a modern superdooty. rated for a decent sized planet. with a normal license rated for a medium sized asteroid. merica'

Guy was real nice he said that was his 2019 and he had 2 older ones too he loves them. He had commercial TX plate

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I screenshot this a few days ago from a FB group I am in, Kaker, is this one of your alumni?

It is yeah. We talk pretty frequently outside of him buying that truck off us, but his wife ended up getting a new 4Runner anyway so now I guess the Prado just sits. He did get it repainted though!

He asked me about it, almost like asked for permission to sell it. Lmao I don't give a gently caress what people do with these after I sell them short of destroying them. Nice of him I suppose but geeze.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Charles posted:

Looks like they could have just driven the lil guy into the bed of the pickup

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Guy was real nice he said that was his 2019 and he had 2 older ones too he loves them. He had commercial TX plate

As long as he secured it down by the axles properly. I saw pictures in IG from a channel that does "abandoned musclecars" of a 442 H/O and a GTO that the hot shot transporter had tied down like cargo, buy throwing ratchet straps across the hood and trunk. Bent the poo poo out of them, the idiot.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCMNa-aFRAV/

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

As long as he secured it down by the axles properly. I saw pictures in IG from a channel that does "abandoned musclecars" of a 442 H/O and a GTO that the hot shot transporter had tied down like cargo, buy throwing ratchet straps across the hood and trunk. Bent the poo poo out of them, the idiot.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCMNa-aFRAV/

This guy was a pleasure. He spent 25 minutes after this pic after I went inside with the kids securing it at all four corners.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rugger finally in the shop. All brand new parts from Indonesia, with the exception of the radiator support, headlight surrounds, grill and front and rear bumpers. Those are used but in quite excellent shape. Brand new OEM right front fender, front fascia bit (goes underneath the grill), all four plastic corners, that center support, radiator, some other stuff. It's at a local shop that reviews extremely well, and they are more excited than I expected to dig into this truck. Everything is bolted on, so compared to anything new it should be ultra easy.

Because paint work is needed I'm just going to have them repaint the whole truck bright white, to match the wheels, as seen here:

then I'd like to completely rip this paintjob off, 100%:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

It is yeah. We talk pretty frequently outside of him buying that truck off us, but his wife ended up getting a new 4Runner anyway so now I guess the Prado just sits. He did get it repainted though!

He asked me about it, almost like asked for permission to sell it. Lmao I don't give a gently caress what people do with these after I sell them short of destroying them. Nice of him I suppose but geeze.

Did he just freshen it up? It doesn't look appreciably different than I remember from this thread.

Bummer that it didn't work for a family vehicle for them. My 4th gen Runner was just totaled from a careless fuckstick driver and I just went out and bought a new-ish Tacoma after some old truck discussion. Couldn't talk my lady out of modern safety features with the kiddo around.

Someday :argh: The Tacoma is boss as loving hell though and I missed having a truck

KakerMix posted:

then I'd like to completely rip this paintjob off, 100%:

My dad had a PUP of this vintage and it was a pretty loving great little truck. Bought it new in 93. He kept it until like 2012 (I think) for hauling and I drove it for a couple years between cars in the mid- to late-aughts. It was surprisingly fun to drive a 5sp manual with no tachometer.

Oh, and that is Rad As Hell paint too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hell yeah do the needful Kaker that will be rad AF

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Hell yeah do the needful Kaker that will be rad AF

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve been on a buying spree so port pics are coming in fast here are a few from today

Unicorn dually, 4wd, 5 speed with AC Bongo

Low mile 5 speed/4wd Pajero Mini with new Toyo Open Country tires and a cool roof rack

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm considering purchasing a kei truck in the near-mid term to use as a local parts-getter and poo poo hauler (possibly literally since I have a bunch of garden beds to rebuild) and I don't want a USDM pickup because my parking pad is small and shared with my Abarth. Are there specific models that tend to be more reliable than others, or is it a thing where 25 years later all the really bad ones have already been shaken off the road? Just poking around I see a lot of Honda ACTYs listed for sale, not all of which have actually been titled as a street vehicle (which I assume is not an easily correctable problem.)

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 11, 2020

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

corgski posted:

I'm considering purchasing a kei truck in the near-mid term to use as a local parts-getter and poo poo hauler (possibly literally since I have a bunch of garden beds to rebuild) and I don't want a USDM pickup because my parking pad is small and shared with my Abarth. Are there specific models that tend to be more reliable than others, or is it a thing where 25 years later all the really bad ones have already been shaken off the road? Just poking around I see a lot of Honda ACTYs listed for sale, not all of which have actually been titled as a street vehicle (which I assume is not an easily correctable problem.)

:words: Keitora.txt :words:

I see a lot of kei trucks imported specifically for off-road/farm use, and as such, they are often brought into the country BEFORE their 'legal' 25-year anniversary.
Unless you're looking for a headache, those brought in before the 25 should probably be avoided if you plan on road use.

Do make sure to get all of the import papers from the dealer/previous owner if you aren't importing yourself.

Earlier 90's models often have 5-digit odometers that conveniently don't have the VIN number on them and are easily swappable... do what you can to verify the mileage if you see one with "low miles" It should be pretty physically obvious if it's 35,000km or 135,000km

Kei trucks seem to have this weird state by state regulation. I live in SW Washington and everything is GOOD TO GO.

Five minutes across the river in Oregon, things get real weird, real fast when it comes to kei vehicles. (Oregon seems to a DMV by DMV interpretation of the law *which isn't even explicitly clear* where even if plates are issued, they may* ultimately be stripped away when the paperwork makes it to the state capitol.) *this can take anywhere from two weeks to two years or not happen at all.

Unless your state explicitly says YES or does not give a poo poo about enforcement... it can be a somewhat legal grey area when it comes to licensing them for the street. (Again, make sure you have the papers) Check with your DMV or other local kei owners to be sure if your state is clear.
A lot of people have issues finding an insurance company that is willing to cover them. My local agent of 20 years wouldn't touch it and said I might have better luck with someone that handles classics. I personally went with Hagerty and found a plan that works for me.

Reliability-wise, all of the models seem pretty decent and are very mechanically basic according to my mechanic friend. Suspension and engine location differs between manufacturers. (Honda engine is back under the bed, while Suzuki engine sits closer to cab/driver)

Personal anecdotes:
I own a Honda, and have taken a few years of Japanese, and would say that I am "pretty okay" at searching for things on the Japanese side of the internet. Even with that slight advantage, it can sometimes be tricky to find SERIOUS parts when compared to the Subaru/Suzuki/Daihatsu folks. (I recently had issues regarding a rear inner CV joint and was very jealous that I kept finding solutions for trucks that were not mine. Took a few weeks, and the COVID shipping situation didn't help, but we figured it out and I've learned way more about axles than I ever wanted to know.) Other tune-up type things are easy to find stateside. Filters, plugs, belts, etc.

My truck is strictly street use, does not have A/C, does not have a dump bed, and I don't really use it to haul much of anything except my own goon-sized rear end... so I can't really speak to the reliability on labor-type things.
Foldable/Removable bed sides are :krad: Everyone seems to love them.

They are slower than you think they are. Yes, it can do 60/70 if you floor it, but you probably will not enjoy your time on the highway if there's any traffic around.
They are smaller than you think they are. I'm 6'3 and just shy of 300lb. I have plenty of head room, but if my legs were any longer my knee would be in the dash and I don't think I could operate the clutch. Absolutely try and sit in one before you commit to a purchase. (I'm glad I did.)

Do your research. Just be sure of what you are looking for in a truck.

Obligatory pictures (more on instagram @acty360 if you do that sort of thing)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah I've seen a few Actys here in the Seattle area. Many of the little sleeper vans. Doesn't seem like any problem registering them here.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

From what I've found so far there's several importers advertising that they'll handle the paperwork to get a full title and plates here in PA. I've seen trabants on the road myself, and as far as I can tell the only restriction PA has is needing the 25+ year exemption from NHSTA safety testing. But yeah, also a lot of the ones already on US soil here seem to be coming from farms which means they're titled as off-road vehicles.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have heard to avoid high km (like 100k km+) auto kei transmissions. In any kei vehicle.

On the other I don’t know of any glaring issues.

I would love to import you one and make a few bucks off of it but there is an outfit I follow on IG who sell ready to go white kei trucks for pretty drat cheap. Hell they had a daihatsu jumbo 4wd with ac listed for $2700 with 88k other day and I can’t get one that cheap be of the fee I pay Japan Car Direct. I have no dealings with them.

I buy stuff that is verified and checked and such.

In this one case I don’t know that the Honda is more reliable engine wise than the Daihatsu and Suzuki and others

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

corgski posted:

There are fantastic condition kei trucks from the 80s still available in Japan, easy to get a real dope one from 1995 as well.
You are right that it isn't an easily correctable problem, it is an impossible to correct legally problem. If you see a kei truck here in the USA without a title then it will never have a title without lying in some capacity. They have to be imported under the 25 year rule in order to qualify federally to allow a state title. You might see a vehicle that is state titled but is newer than 25 years and it will be, without exception, rolling contraband. Doesn't matter what anyone anywhere says, it will never be federally legal. Doesn't mean you'll ever get in trouble or pulled over or anything, just means it isn't a truly legal vehicle. Having a state title suddenly doesn't mean that the Feds go "OH THE STATE SAID SO? OK :) :) :)"

There are three companies that make kei trucks that you'll see in abundance, and different variants and versions within those models. Stuff like box trucks or cranes or dump beds are modifications that are done after it leaves the factory and is available on any standard model, though they are much less common. I'll list the ones I know of here that exist after 1990 (the 550cc cutoff):

Daihatsu Hijet, available in either 2WD or part-time selectable 4WD, some have diff-lock, AC available. Engine is under the front seats.
- Standard
- Jumbo
- Deckvan

Suzuki Every, available in 2WD or part-time selectable 4WD, some have diff-lock, auto or manual, AC available. Engine is under the front seats.
- Standard

Honda Acty, available in 2WD or full-time 4WD, auto or manual, AC available. Engine is right in front of the rear axle.
- Standard

The least expensive trucks are always going to be the standard shape, 2WD, no AC. Most expensive ones will be 4WD with AC. Extra expensive if it's a Hijet Jumbo or Deckvan. There are tons of them. Daihatsu and Suzuki sold a lot more of their kei trucks than Honda and continue to do so. Honda are the rare kei trucks over in Japan (explains why Honda no longer sells them). All of them are reliable, all of them are quality built and they are all real-deal commercial vehicles and can take many multiple beatings. Hondas are popular here in the USA because it says 'Honda' on it is all. As far as I am aware power steering isn't a thing on any of them pre-1995 but I could be mistaken. You will never in a million years miss it though. All will have disc brakes up front and drums in back, brakes power assisted.

Like Beanzor, I daily drove a Honda Acty Van for a few years. It isn't a truck, but it was a 2WD 1991. Completely and easy to live with as a daily driver provided you don't plan on driving it on the highway for any long length of time. These kei trucks feel better than any late 90s Ranger for sure.

If you don't want to import your own or have someone import one you pick out, then buying from the importers that bring in containers of the things is always going to be the cheapest way to get one. Importers like everdave and I can't never ever compete with those dudes on price. RoRo ensures whatever we import from Japan arrives here as it was when we bought it, plus regular cars don't fit into containers. The price for shipping is where the extra cost comes from.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 12, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes for example we pay let’s say $1k to ship from Japan. You can stack 7 keis in a container for around 400k yen so let’s
Round up $4k. Then you don’t pay our fees that saves $800+ per. I think the spirit of this thread and Kaker the OG and me now I’ve imported who knows 25 cars? Unless you had some rare itch to scratch buy one here in US. I can’t buy a good beat or cap cheap enough in Japan to make it worth it. But I buy lots of poo poo and sometimes make lots of money. Like Kaker has said ain’t no money in kei trucks no mo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

You are right that it isn't an easily correctable problem, it is an impossible to correct legally problem. If you see a kei truck here in the USA without a title then it will never have a title without lying in some capacity. They have to be imported under the 25 year rule in order to qualify federally to allow a state title. You might see a vehicle that is state titled but is newer than 25 years and it will be, without exception, rolling contraband. Doesn't matter what anyone anywhere says, it will never be federally legal. Doesn't mean you'll ever get in trouble or pulled over or anything, just means it isn't a truly legal vehicle. Having a state title suddenly doesn't mean that the Feds go "OH THE STATE SAID SO? OK :) :) :)"

Not that it’s worth it for something silly like a Beat or Acty, but if you had some sort of crazy unicorn that was titled off-road could you export it to Canada and re-import it the right way if it passed the 25 year threshold? I imagine you can get away with this once or twice before the feds come down on you for laundering imports.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Midjack posted:

Not that it’s worth it for something silly like a Beat or Acty, but if you had some sort of crazy unicorn that was titled off-road could you export it to Canada and re-import it the right way if it passed the 25 year threshold? I imagine you can get away with this once or twice before the feds come down on you for laundering imports.

No no do not give this advice FB is full of illegally imported poo poo. Just get something legal. Do not buy with “import paperwork”. Get a title. They went around and crushed all those defenders. Will they do that to kei trucks no but why to save a few hundred bucks? These people with
Midgets already in town guess what when import port dude gets bored and his friend needs a
Cool bust. Why? Keis are cheap just loving do it the right way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

everdave posted:

No no do not give this advice FB is full of illegally imported poo poo. Just get something legal. Do not buy with “import paperwork”. Get a title. They went around and crushed all those defenders. Will they do that to kei trucks no but why to save a few hundred bucks? These people with
Midgets already in town guess what when import port dude gets bored and his friend needs a
Cool bust. Why? Keis are cheap just loving do it the right way

Yes I said it's not worth it for dumb cheap stuff that's in plentiful supply and also if you get caught exporting and re-importing the same car you probably get the eye of federal Sauron on you in short order. I was more curious if Customs keeps records of vehicles and the status at first import is the status of that particular VIN forever, or if they determine status of the vehicle at the time of import regardless of history. There would have to be something really worth your while to go to the hassle in any case; some one-off oddball that was brought in as a museum piece and for some reason you wanted to put it on the road after 20 years of being in a display case. I'm sure someone has probably already found the answer to that question the hard way in any event.