Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

kensei posted:

I know I have seen your truck here! Small world.

I'm like, the only blue Honda truck on the road around here. Feel free to say hi if you see me around.

harperdc posted:

apparently Honda do still sell new Acty kei trucks over here, but yeah you see more ads on TV for the Suzukis.

The 2020 model is supposed to be the final year for the Acty line. I read somewhere that Honda is pulling out after a number of years of being the lowest-selling kei truck manufacturer. Subaru and Suzuki outsell them by a huge margin.
I absolutely love those 2020 anniversary designs. I kind of want to replicate the two-tone style of the blue one for my truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

harperdc posted:

apparently Honda do still sell new Acty kei trucks over here, but yeah you see more ads on TV for the Suzukis.

Looks like Honda is stopping in 2021, I heard they were stopping and just assumed it was sooner rather than later.

EFB

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That red and black is pretty as hell.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

everdave posted:

It would be best to fill a container with them you can fit 7 kei trucks in a container so 25 bikes? Sell 24 you will have a free bike. This is the only logical answer and I will take no other responses.

Wanna buy a few?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Isn't that pretty much how poorer Asian countries get their bike/scooter supply? Japanese cast offs literally purchased by the container?

I've seen ads for them that state MOQ of 50 bikes.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

InitialDave posted:

Isn't that pretty much how poorer Asian countries get their bike/scooter supply? Japanese cast offs literally purchased by the container?

I've seen ads for them that state MOQ of 50 bikes.

Yeah, it's what happened to all of the XR250 Baja's - exported grey market to Southeast Asia. I used to trip over them when I was backpacking there, when I finally bought one living in Japan I had a doozy of a time finding replacement parts for the Baja-specific bits.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was looking at tiny electric pickup trucks in Alibaba and they helpfully pointed out with pictures how to fit 6 in a 40' container

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Kei car club here posted these on their FB page:

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

InitialDave posted:

Kei car club here posted these on their FB page:

None of these anime girls look old enough to drive.
Also, I would love to have a Honda Vamos over here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Of loving course they have cartoon schoolgirls explaining things

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beanzor posted:

None of these anime girls look old enough to drive.
Also, I would love to have a Honda Vamos over here.

None of them are actually driving so it works out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Maybe one day I'll find a situation where "refinish the wheels in white, BF Goodrich KO2s white letters out" won't be solid advice, but I'm not there yet. Took the Hilux on it's maiden voyage to my father in law's cabin up north about 2.5 hours, equating to a solid break-in of 5~ hours of about half interstate highway speeds of ~70 mph and back country 2-lane type roads for the other half. Performed excellently, though it IS slow like all of these older JDM diesel trucks are, but only in acceleration. Give them time and they can hang with the big dogs.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looking good with the new shoes!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

508,000km and still going!

The paint is hosed- Its going white on the roof now because all the red has oxidized off but mechanically shes still solid.

The more observant types may notice the slight change in badging and the funny grill and headlights off a KZN130 surf for reasons...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

508,000km and still going!

The paint is hosed- Its going white on the roof now because all the red has oxidized off but mechanically shes still solid.

The more observant types may notice the slight change in badging and the funny grill and headlights off a KZN130 surf for reasons...

400,000 km almost exactly more than my ol' green construction truck. The bush aesthetic your Hilux has though would sell for so many bucks here in the US my god. Where can I get lightFORCE fog lights?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

400,000 km almost exactly more than my ol' green construction truck. The bush aesthetic your Hilux has though would sell for so many bucks here in the US my god. Where can I get lightFORCE fog lights?

https://www.lightforce.com/

Those would be at least 15yr old lights by now, still absolutely blinding for halogens.

I've got the 240 XGT 50W HID on the front of my Cruiser with a dual row 10" Light bar and thats a brilliant combo- usable light to easily 1km away.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KakerMix posted:

Maybe one day I'll find a situation where "refinish the wheels in white, BF Goodrich KO2s white letters out" won't be solid advice, but I'm not there yet. Took the Hilux on it's maiden voyage to my father in law's cabin up north about 2.5 hours, equating to a solid break-in of 5~ hours of about half interstate highway speeds of ~70 mph and back country 2-lane type roads for the other half. Performed excellently, though it IS slow like all of these older JDM diesel trucks are, but only in acceleration. Give them time and they can hang with the big dogs.

This is the most unapologetic truck that exists on the roads of the USA. It’s not masquerading about as some thing if opulence and unnecessary luxury. It’s a truck that will get it done.

I like it a lot more than I probably should.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

https://www.lightforce.com/

Those would be at least 15yr old lights by now, still absolutely blinding for halogens.

I've got the 240 XGT 50W HID on the front of my Cruiser with a dual row 10" Light bar and thats a brilliant combo- usable light to easily 1km away.

Do you happen to know what sort of weight capacity these are rated for in their beds? My father in law (a very midwestern american dude so keep that in mind) is all like "WOW 6 LUGS THAT MEANS 1 TON" and I don't know poo poo about nothing so I payed no mind. What does give me pause though, besides the high-up rear end of the thing, is the tire pressure door sticker:

Is this a typical tire pressure difference between the front and rear tires of a pickup? I'm used to these being the same numbers for the front and back on any other vehicle I've bothered to check.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've never seen them be that different.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Pretty much dead on a metric tonne- 1000kg payload is generally what’s listed for the single cab LN106.

Most of the rest of the world don’t need a single cab Ute that can hold a small house in the tub, so they never built one.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ferremit posted:

Pretty much dead on a metric tonne- 1000kg payload is generally what’s listed for the single cab LN106.

Most of the rest of the world don’t need a single cab Ute that can hold a small house in the tub, so they never built one.

Ok, my question is what is that quad cab you got there and what is it's payload and towing capacity?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Quad cab is still an LN106, so it’s the same as the one kaker has, but with extra seats. Mines a tad special because we’ve shoehorned in a 1KZ 3.0TD motor into it.

The twin cabs are around 750-800kg payload- all of the 2.8D hiluxs are 1500kg tow capacity because in reality, the brakes are garbage on em!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
White wheels look good on everything.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is weird about tire pressure especially for the front to be that low. No idea. Just aired up the caravan and it was 3.0/3.0 f/r

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

28 psi isn’t that unusual for a leaf sprung truck- you need those sidewalls to flex to get SOME resemblance of suspension travel and comfort in the front end.

The tyre placard on my old mans 2013 hilux has both laden and unladen pressures, but the old hilux doesn’t- I think Toyota just assumed every one of them would be laden well beyond their gvm their entire life!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just a very low weight even my tiny stuff is 2.5.

Ferremit I have a turbo diesel Surf coming that probably got run dry of fuel. I will try some of the things mentioned already but may be messaging you if that doesn’t work. Getting winched on transport tomorrow.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

I am rather in love.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
GOAT

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I'd run 2.0 square or 2.0/2.5 f/r if heavily loaded. I don't really remember these, but I think my work mates used to run those.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Hey everyone longtime listener first time caller. Figure I should start with some port pics:

omg minidisc

2004 Every Joypop Wagon Turbo. Minor dings and scratches, inspector found only a squeaky belt and cigarette smell from the previous owner. We're super stoked since it hits my kei car buttons and tickles my girl's van life fantasies (if only for weekend camping trips). Not to mention the adventure of importing the thing: we're gonna go clear it and pick it up ourselves. Maybe I'm weird for wanting to conquer the bureaucracy of canada customs like I do video games.

So here's a quick question: has anyone any experience getting LHD parts for RHD JDM cars - specifically headlights? I don't wanna get caught by BC's vehicle standards (don't dazzle the incoming lane dumbass) at the very end of the process. I know this thing was sold in LHD nations so i was hoping to get a drop-in replacement for the correct side of the road.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I didn't import this from Japan (I think it actually came from Malaysia :P), but I figured you guys here would get a kick out of it:

Found at a (US) Walmart.

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Another longtime listener first time caller needing some advice, specifically from the guy who brought his car all the way out to the fair state of Wisconsin or anyone else who's done some inland shipping. What are the good ports/import brokers and should I have the car hauled from port or fly there and drive it back? Got my hands on a 94 Isuzu MU and I need it all the way up in MN before the cold winter sets in.

I looked around at whats available here for USDM Amigos and the years have not been kind.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Jealous of the 2004! That is dream land for USA folks.

For the Isuzu how far is it? It is usually far cheaper and easier to get it shipped. I can give you my brokers name and number and she can get it picked up though she just finds it through central dispatch or whatever, but she has handled far too many problems for me to ever think about saving $50-100 by cutting her out.

Think if you fly there you may have to pay $100 to get in, then the battery might be dead, if you dont have a jump pack my port charges $80. Then what if it won't start or if it is out of gas? I know some ports dont charge for this.

As far as parts Megazip, Partsouq, Amayama. For the vast majority of things I can find part numbers and cross reference to something in the USA, or you can order from overseas and it doesn't take that long and isn't crazy bad on shipping.

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

A bit over a thousand miles to the nearest ports which just based on gmaps I think are Baltimore or Freeport TX. If you have a broker that operates in those or honestly any of the southeastern ports that would be a huge help to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PlaneGuy posted:

Hey everyone longtime listener first time caller. Figure I should start with some port pics:

omg minidisc

2004 Every Joypop Wagon Turbo. Minor dings and scratches, inspector found only a squeaky belt and cigarette smell from the previous owner. We're super stoked since it hits my kei car buttons and tickles my girl's van life fantasies (if only for weekend camping trips). Not to mention the adventure of importing the thing: we're gonna go clear it and pick it up ourselves. Maybe I'm weird for wanting to conquer the bureaucracy of canada customs like I do video games.

So here's a quick question: has anyone any experience getting LHD parts for RHD JDM cars - specifically headlights? I don't wanna get caught by BC's vehicle standards (don't dazzle the incoming lane dumbass) at the very end of the process. I know this thing was sold in LHD nations so i was hoping to get a drop-in replacement for the correct side of the road.

I personally don't have any experience no, but if the headlights aren't adjustable at all then it *should* be just drop-in replacements from LHD countries with wherever Suzukis like that are/were sold. I can't imagine Suzuki would willingly change the headlight mounting situation just because, makes no sense from a manufacturing standpoint. I have the utmost confidence that you will conquer the Canadian bureaucracy.

nmagness posted:

Another longtime listener first time caller needing some advice, specifically from the guy who brought his car all the way out to the fair state of Wisconsin or anyone else who's done some inland shipping. What are the good ports/import brokers and should I have the car hauled from port or fly there and drive it back? Got my hands on a 94 Isuzu MU and I need it all the way up in MN before the cold winter sets in.

I looked around at whats available here for USDM Amigos and the years have not been kind.

Goliath Auto Transport
Brendan Kurtyka
941-914-7373 (call/text)
Brendan@automovenow.com

This dude we've used before when our normal drivers aren't available, and he's a broker that works with any and all shipping across the USA and I think even internationally. He is excellent in all respects and is always extremely quick to answer. I would contact him and tell him your situation, he will either know offhand or know who can help you. Because he is a transport broker though he doesn't actually do much (or any?) transport on his own, he sets it all up though with the people that can. A friend of ours just bought a 50s VW Bug from someone up in Appleton, Wisconsin and used Brendan to set up shipping from Wisconsin all the way down here in Sarasota Florida.

I would STRONGLY recommend having the vehicle shipped to your home rather than attempting to drive it back. You want your first time with it to be exciting and new, and that's a lot easier when its in your driveway rather than having to instantly rely on it to haul you many hours back home. You don't want to start your ownership of it under that situation. Around the block with friends and family is fun, many multiple hours away from home is much less so if anything does go wrong. As for what port it should be dropped at again, I'd ask Brendan as he'd know or know who knows in that circumstance. Both everdave and I have our ports and just between us two our experiences vary wildly, to say nothing of a port neither of us use.

EDIT
Also your pictures are tiny as HECK

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 29, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Finally on the way! Y’all won’t believe the miles on this one when it gets here...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's so shiny

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Quick pro tip regarding JDM headunits. I’m guessing most of the stuff you guys can bring in is too old, but if you find a headunit with HDD storage, be sure and check it out, good chance the Japanese PO left you a motherlode of J-pop hits to enjoy cruising to! In my old job we bought an 11 seater van (like a 2002 Nissan Caravan) for hauling school kids around, and they loving loved that poo poo.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
If I press the correct combination of buttons on the entirely Japanese language headunit in my Legacy bad Japanese pop (not jpop) does indeed start playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X

Just got here, seconds after taking this pic a torrential downpour came and me and my driver got soaked. Had to pull it in the driveway with the Lite Ace.

But look at it, it is absolutely pristine. Yes, the miles are verified on the auction sheet. Are they real? Auction house says they are. But how could it be possible? Timing belt sticker from 2015 but very smudged looks like 10277 km on the sticker. but very faint.

(imgur and the awful app are taking forever, i will keep editing and add a pic or two at a time)

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 30, 2020