Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DogonCrook posted:

What is their classic race car market like? Has that shot up like in the US?
Also curious about this. I know the higher end stuff is a worldwide market but what about the <50k range of retired race cars?

Of all the stuff available for import I'm strangely most interested in their light duty trucks and what they use for hauling cars over there. Seeing lots of Mazda Titan, Nissan Atlas and Toyota Toyace for mid-size diesel utility trucks but it's probably not worth the cost of importing one. Would love to bring over (from Canada?) a VW T4 car transporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Registration finally went through for Japan Car Direct, time to start searching.

Could make sense to import some of these, not sure how good of shape they're in but it's good to see they do pop up and go for reasonable-ish values.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHH7Y3BFUGWPdrV.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHj6YPCmOMPXCzY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHR63onlLrDrQ0n.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHoZcFW6h9MXTOn.htm

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Here's an import legal one that sold for ~30k which given current prices isn't bad at all - https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-sn3iDnKAqKMlp.htm

I need to spend more time on the site and figure out past auctions.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-suzuki-alto/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-08-28

This thing looks fun, shame about the decals being gone. Not sure if the front seats are better or worse than the original.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Oh you bastard. How am I supposed to not buy that?

I may end up bidding, really tempted even though I'm trying to not buy anything right now. Will be interesting to see what it goes for.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Now own a long-wheelbase Daihatsu Rugger (we got the gasoline short wheelbase Rugger as the Rocky) turbo diesel. 5 speed manual, 4WD, AC. :toot:

:perfect:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Saw that, nice sale! That should fund another car or two.

What's the next one going to auction?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

1989 Suzuki Jimny ~TURBO~ in supremely excellent condition.

Wow that thing is clean. I keep looking at cars going across auction but haven't bid on any yet.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Re-reading through the thread and having found it yet but what is the process for ordering and inspection? Am I missing an obvious link on the japancardirect.com site?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Kaker and others that have bought specifically to sell what are your thoughts on selling locally versus something like Bring a Trailer? Locally the JDM stuff is big, small trucks (sunny/courier/b1400/etc) sell decently as well. BaT seems to move small trucks ok but not a lot of them so I'm leaning more towards rare stuff if I go that route.

Need to setup a bunch of saved searches for quick browsing and figure out how to view all Japanese and all everything else.

edit: Everdave, I let that one go and because it's USS I can't see what it sold for. Will probably get things lined up and talk with Matt this week so I can put bids on the next one. Let me know if you another pop up and thanks for the help. Sucks we didn't see the orange one until after it was done...hoping it didn't sell and pops back up.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 25, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

I won https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-au9sIsFhSDYsTl.htm
For now the plan is to title and register in TX before trying to register in CA. Hopefully the tiny engine size gives me an EPA and smog exemption.
I glad I started with something cheap to figure this stuff out
Nice score.

I'm having two, maybe three, inspected today to possibly bid on. How many cars can I have inspected before Matt/Yoshi start getting sick of me not bidding? These are my first couple but I'm always wary about pulling the trigger sight unseen, especially on some of the more exotic/specialty cars I'm looking at.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

They don't give a poo poo, if and when they sell a car it's all good.
I totally understand what it's like to buy sight unseen but I've actually grown to like it. No hassle and no haggling.
I've bought sight unseen once and it worked out ok but I at least had a seller that took a ton of questions and sat on the phone with me for an hour or two.

Looking closer at some of these cars...are Japanese market knock offs common? Three of these have popped up in the past couple days, all ending tonight. I thought Morgan Plus 4 or 4/4 initially but a lot of the details aren't right and all three of them look identical. I can't figure out what the hell they are unless Morgan made a base-base model for the Japanese market. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out wtf these things are.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-weUSPBaUIB4yY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lGSaEbfBcUjnpb.htm - this one has more pics

cakesmith handyman posted:

What did it sell for? I can't see anything that says on that page.
$350 USD

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 5, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

dphi posted:

Showed it to my Japanese co-worker for a translation, it's this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_Lima
Yup looks like that's what it was. I cancelled inspection on them but one got inspected before Matt could cancel it. Leaking, white smoke and generally falling apart.

There's what looks like a really nice Caterham going in a few hours that I'd like to bid on but I'm holding off for now. Still getting an inspection and will be watching closer for them now that I know they roll across. It's strange though I swear the car wasn't there yesterday but showed up this afternoon and now it ends in four hours. If I hadn't just bought a similar car I'd be putting in a strong bid on it, looks super clean and has the options you'd want. I'd have a hard time selling it if I did buy it and I should clear space before I add anything else. I threw in a low bid because it looks fun
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHcKF0Ad6WA7Rta.htm

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 6, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Man those old capacitors are getting really long in the tooth these days. In all fairness they weren't really made with the intention to be in use for 25+ years.
We've been seeing it more and more often on low mile E30/E28/etc. The cars that are driven a lot seem to hold up better than the garage queens. I have several spare ECUs for each car that I've gone through and checked/replaced things that didn't look 100%.

But hey, all the more reason to go aftermarket :getin:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Most of my automotive purchases over the past 10 years have been fly-n-drive. Transit plates are a great way to keep bored law enforcement from giving you trouble on the way home at 3 in the morning 10 hours from home...

Haven't been looking at auctions too much in the last week, been busy as hell. Need to start browsing again. I did turn my Dad, who retires October 1st, onto the auctions so he's been sending me links for cool poo poo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Tiny-rear end Rugger port pix are in.

This right here is a brand-new truck imho. Think I might re-paint the wheels to be the same gold/bronze that the decals are colored, that would look pretty sharp with some new meaty white lettered tires.
Saw that on their instagram this morning, wondered if it was yours.

Wife has started browsing auctions as well...

Of all the cool and odd stuff on there why am I constantly drawn towards things like this to use as a car hauler? https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-5FqDNWOxR7cZj7.htm

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 25, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Whatever you linked is gone, there is no post-auction page. That's why I always screen grab because the auction be fickle.

It was this clean 1985 Atlas 150 with 23k km on it

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I would not, no. Depends on the Jimny (JA11s only) and how long on the highway and where.
Drive this instead:

Have you checked with the guys over there at all to see what something like this would cost to ship? I'm not sure if things are charged by the square foot, by weight or some combination. There's been a few pre-80's trucks and car haulers that have rolled through I've really considered bidding on.

Also track rat M3 - https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-0ouWFOQlgNPcIRS.htm Way too high a starting bid though

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Suzuki Carry delivered yesterday and got it to work immediately today. have some new rubber on the HiAce and while I tried to find white letter KO2s it wasn't meant to be. Still looks pretty killer as it is.

Is there anything similar to this that can cruise at 75-80mph and carry 1500lb+ in the rear. I keep looking at Carry and similar vehicles but its just a little bit under what I need. I've considered a VW Doka T4 for now as a possible import since I saw them all over Germany a few years ago.

I know any basic American pickup meets my needs but I love cool little trucks. Until I find the perfect truck the F100 will continue to work.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pretty much matches my experiences with Matt and why I've basically stopped bidding on anything. I've never bought anything but the ones I have bid on are not cheap cars and half the time I'd get inspection notes minutes before the auction went live. If I get serious about it again I'll avoid Matt or have one of the people who have bought multiple vehicles buy for me then I'll pay whatever their markup is.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

I have a big list of cars I am asking about tonight, but not even joking I am thinking of bidding on this, please someone talk me out of it

I looked at that one too! Never went ahead with inspection but it looked pretty good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Absolutely nothing homegrown about their auction site, in fact my buddy in town found the source and you can get access yourself for like $150 a month to do with as you please. Also access to higher resolution photos

KakerMix posted:

Yeah like, the data that they show is the same data that something like Pacific Coast auto has. Same poo poo, different front ends. Everyone has access to the same auctions, the same data, the same inventory.
I just want an easy way to search the entire database at once, even if it limits it to ten results or something. I want to see all the cool old stuff, searching just 1950 for example would be great.

Wife wants a :krad: sidekick/xc90/rugger with full graphics and preferably purple. Might be a perfect excuse to import something.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The problem I'm running into is if I for example search Toyota for make and ANY for model in the advanced search I can specify down to 1985. But then going through each model one at a time there's a 83 celica, 84 levin, etc. I was able to manually enter the fields the other day but can't remember how I did that now. I'm probably just an idiot, no worries as it gives me something to do.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Search Toyota any say 1972-1995 don’t pick any conditions etc...

Usually if something is listed before then it will pop up and show say 1942. (A mislist) - 1995. Or a lot of times there is nothing from the 70s up and it will default to earliest up so show you like 1985-1995. Or even on a slow day 1992-1995 for some manufacturers. But you can def search those ranges. I just happen to enter 72 as the earliest but usually if there are tons of listings that day I search all 1985-1995

Hey that works pretty good, thanks

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I look at that fire truck and immediately thing formula car hauler. I doubt the bed is even close to long enough and it's probably horrible on the interstate. Doesn't mean a thing it was used as a fire truck of some kind, it's just a cool low mile mini truck.

how long is that bed?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

It's weird looking, 5 speed and AWD. Not as slow as you'd think but definitely not 'sporty'. Drives much smoother than you'd expect. Much smaller than it looks but quite roomy inside, at least for the people sitting up front. The front clip is plastic, hence why the paint is weirdly faded on it vs the rest of the car. The rear most windows are surrounded in the same plastic. Carries the space saver donut on the outside of the car where you don't need to save space. Split hatch, with an L-shaped section that opens upward and a separate tailgate. 14s all the way around. Everyone looks at you, everyone ever. Big sunroof is good, AC works wonderfully. Goddamned oil filter is between the block and the firewall :argh:

So cute and practical, it's the perfect little commuter.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

When all this COVID poo poo is over I really need to drive over and see your collection of misfit toys. That camper is amazing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Surf port pics, has had recent timing belt, absurdly low miles, and take a look underneath...

Holy crap that's clean

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

I am @carsfromafar on IG follow me (please!)

Done. Still mad at myself for not throwing a bid at the blue Acty. How long until we see the bucket truck and fire truck on BaT or are you going to try selling via other means first?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

...put in the time and it pays off...

Speaking of, nice sale on the pajero, that got a good jump in the end.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Not goi g to lie I’m a bit overwhelmed I now have 3 enormous campers

Great looking campers but I'm not sure they qualify as enormous. How many cars do you currently have?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

I’ve pushed the plunger on fuel filter til hard, no leaks, No idea about water

Might be worth cracking a fuel injector or the connection to the injector lose and see if you're getting fuel there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So you're getting fuel to the injectors but not into the engine. I'm not familiar enough with that engine or diesels in general but two things I can think of might be happening. Fuel pump not putting out enough pressure or injectors not cycling/firing. I can't think of a way to test either very easily on your own. Seeing if the injectors are firing is easy enough, stethoscope/screwdriver on the injector and listed for clicking, but you need a second person to crank it over while you do this.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

What are the interior dimensions of the box?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Not trying to dissuade you just be prepared in my head add $3k to purchase price to get it to port. Then add other fees. Just don’t want you to be surprised but you will get a much better truck at a much lower price if you are patient and win on your own at auction.

Thanks for posting that, pretty helpful. Sounds like you've got a pretty reasonable transport guy to get it from port to you which helps keep costs down.

Casually looking at bringing over a Honda Beat or two, talking with a friend who runs a fabrication shop about building a race car out of one with either some boost or a engine swap.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've worked with Matt in at JCD in the past and bid on a few but it's been a while. We've been talking a bit recently and I'm keeping an eye on the auctions now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

And finished the night with one more, 1996 Nissan Atlas. Been wanting this platform for the ultimate camper build, but usually when I decide to keep something people start wanting to buy it.

Those do seem like they would make a great base for a camper or car hauler. Nice group of wins.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I feel like I ask this anytime a truck is posted in here but what are the bed dimensions? That is a great looking truck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

If it's the same dimensions as the previous ToyoAce, it's 9 feet 2 inches long and 5 feet 2 inches wide with the sides up. Sides and tailgate down then it's ????
Thanks for dimensions, it's surprisingly hard to find bed dimensions for a lot of this stuff. Keep having stupid thoughts about something like this as a race car hauler.

KakerMix posted:

1992 Toyota Cresta Tourer V JZX90. The 'Tourer V' is the real important part, because it means that this has a 1JZGTE twin-turbo straight six under the hood, traction control, LSD and ABS. This also happens to be a 5 speed manual version. It ALSO happens to be completely bone-stock. No single recaro, no racey steering wheel, it isn't lowered nor does it have a fat exhaust. It has under 78,000 total miles. The pictures don't show it well but this is the deep, dark emerald green.
Possibly the ultimate sleeper, so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NPR is an option I'm considering and it helps they're everywhere with a ton of support and easy parts access. It does help I'm not transporting bigger cars, right now I'm using a 6x10 open trailer and can fit the car in a 6x12 enclosed.

I should really just buy a 6x14 enclosed and be done with it but it's fun to think about stupid hauler builds