Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm in Orlando and keeping an eye on this thread. I'm not very mechanically inclined and my condo won't allow car repairs in their lot, so I need something that will run off the boat, or something that I can pay to have serviced here. As a child of the 80s/90s, I grew up with Gran Turismo and while I'm not interested in the rad Jimny's and van life stuff, the RX-7s/GTRs/AZ-1s and otherwise unavailable to America sports cars are on my list of things to look out for. Or, odd little things like the Be-1, Pao and even the British Minis that they seem to have over there. I like to keep my cars stock and I'm not looking to track them or anything, I just want something that will run without too much trouble.

However, I don't have the patience to deal with auctions, so I'm tempted to purchase from the OnePrice sales on the JCD page. I'm also tempted to possibly purchase direct from one of the Japanese importers to avoid the paperwork hassle. I know I'd pay a premium, but I'm ok with that. KakerMix - are you familiar with AB Auto Imports in Orlando? They seem to have a few different options available on their site that are available to see on appointment, but nothing really unique and from what the cars look like, they cater to a crowd that likes to cram their cars with aftermarket parts.

From what I've gathered ITT and reading their sites, some of the bigger names like Japanese Classics and Duncan Imports buy them, ship them and sell them without doing a thing to them to preserve the "untouched" nature of the cars. I see this as more of a "we don't want to pay for anything wrong with it, so why do even the smallest amount of maintenance when some idiot will buy it for the name alone at 5x our cost". But I want to work with someone who does what you guys seem to do - identify any issues that need fixed over there and have it done before shipping out where parts are readily available and the mechanics are familiar with the cars. Do any of the importers treat their cars like this, or do they all do the "sell them as we get them" approach?

For someone like me who doesn't have the tools/space/ability/availability to do maintenance or repairs, if an import you purchase needs servicing, can you just roll up to the local Nissan/Honda/Mazda/etc dealer and have them service the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks everybody for the info, maybe I’ll take a stab at it with help from the thread. I’ve made some awful car buying decisions in the past because I don’t know what to look for, so I’m afraid of making the same mistake now without the easy availability of a repair place.

KakerMix: PM’ed back, thanks!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KakerMix posted:

:siren: I DID NOT BUY THIS :siren:

1992 20B Mazda Eunos Cosmo, 68,200 km. Sold for 950,000 yen or $8778.95.

For a triple rotary Mazda with 43,000 miles on it.

This is one of the ones on my list :getin:

e: a Cosmo, not that particular one

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Someone help this poor guy, or get an Acty really cheap, it’s up to you :v:

I think I really made a mistake with my current vehicle. Would it be smart to sell it for a sedan?

quote:

Hey, guys.

About three weeks ago, I bought a 1991 Honda Acty for $4200. Basically it’s a mini truck. I thought that this was a pretty good purchase as i could throw my work stuff and personal stuff in the back of it without a problem. That and gas and basic maintenance on it isn’t bad at all.

As for the problems on it, it could definitely be repainted but it isn’t too terrible. There’s some obviously rust spots in most places. When I bought it, the engine ran perfectly.

The second week I owned it, the alternator belt snapped and that was replaced. I then drove it about 120 miles one way and it ran like a champ. While coming back home, the belt snapped again and I changed it in a parking lot.

That ended up snapping a mile later and it was towed back to my house at 3 in the morning.

Last night was really rough and left me with a negative impression with the mini truck and now I’m not sure if I want to clean it up, replace the belt and sell it or keep it and continue to use it. I need to use this truck in December through April for school and this experience makes me a bit uneasy.

What do you guys think?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KakerMix posted:

1993 Toyota MR2 GT SW20, revision 3. 39,000 miles. 3S-GTE equipped in the middle, flip-up-headlight-having, Ferrari stomping, sports car. This one was manufactured in December of 1993 which makes it a revision 3. Why is that important?

The Soarer we got has pretty much convinced my wife and I that sports cars are great, and the 90s are great, so sports cars from the 90s are double great. Plus its our first car with pop up headlights. Scored this last night. :getin:

I want that so bad

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

Holy poo poo I want that. I dont know what I'd use it for, but Ill fond something. What are the largest mud terrains it will clear?

Y’know, I’ve yet to see a top gear episode where they’ve rigged a vehicle to drive from the top of an extended bucket. Maybe there’s a thought!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, French Canadian’s posts are what has me almost willing to ask if I could pay the goons in here a service charge to just deal with this poo poo when I find something I want

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Saw a Figaro for the first time in Orlando today. Isn’t that a Duncan import specialty? Unless they imported it themselves, I imagine they got it from Duncan.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

everdave posted:

When’s the last time you saw a grade FIVE 1991?

Just won, already sold this was for a private customer of mine.

1991 Honda Beat, one owner, grade 5!, 5,650 miles. Bought for an obscene price but our bid was much, much higher.

I saw that yesterday as I was looking through. The grade 5 caught my eye. Congrats to you and your new buyer!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Sold our Blizzard today, means now the oldest vehicle we have for sale is our Suzuki Wagon R, which is finally all buttoned up and put back together and WILL be going up for sale soon :toot:

Soarer was cool, especially because it was all original and only had 20,000 miles on it but nobody cared. Doesn't matter that it has the 7M-GTE, it's all digital dashboard, it's cool functioning air suspension, or the super low miles, didn't matter. We sold 15 cars in the amount of time that Soarer sat around waiting for a buyer. Can safely mark MZ21 Soarers off the 'to buy' list at auction.

Congrats! I liked the soarer, but the AT lost my interest. There’s a few styles I like, that being one of them, but an auto trans is not something I want. Like I really like the eunos cosmos and some of the Nissan glorias, but I don’t want it with an AT and that’s all those came with.

If you or anyone else finds a nice 1st gen Subaru alcyone (American Subaru xt), with the pop up lights and a 5sp, please alert the thread. A friend had one of those and I’m on the lookout for one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I've seen maybe one or two in the last year, both have sold for around 8k USD. I don't know what you have in your head for pricing but if you think it's cool, someone else does as well.

Their talking about the Subaru XT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_XT

From the before the SVX. Subaru is a big fat jerk and re-used the name on both of them.

Yeah, that’s the one I’m talking about. $8k + all the import paperwork/shipping is definitely doable for one in good condition.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Oh no I mean 8k at auction. Tack on another ~3500 or so at least for it to be in the US and legal, depending on where you are geographically. If you aren't on a coast the expect more because it is not cheap to overland a car.

Yeah, sorry, $8k+$3500 is definitely doable for one in good condition. I’m just NE of you in Orlando, FL.

Duncan has one for ~13k, but I think you’ve said they pretty much just shine it up once it’s off the boat and don’t make sure it’s mechanically sound before they sell it, so that makes me a bit hesitant.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

That Pajero is :krad:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Tyro posted:

Congratulations! While life circumstances haven't let me go through the auction purchase process myself I've been following the thread for years and vicariously enjoying all the updates (from you and the other posters). Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

:same: Congrats! I assume from your post you didn’t incur any damage from Ian, so that’s great too, glad to hear it’s gone so well.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KakerMix posted:

The warehouse and our dealership were 100% completely fine and ok, zero issues at all. We ended up swapping our Volvo with the Hilux in the completely packed warehouse, and it along with our Prado weathered the storm outside. Hilux was already 'weathered' itself so whatever, the Prado was tucked between our reinforced fence and our home so was fine as well, if dirty and with a bit of water that worked its way in through places it wouldn't normally come in on account of the wind. As you can see from the pictures though, our home didn't do as well. The house (concrete block with metal roof) was A-ok, no leaks, no rips or tears, no damage of any kind. Our largest tree, a 125~ year old live oak (completely healthy too :negative:) lost its grip on the ground and tumbled over giving our gazebo a sick 5 foot corner lift, giving our shed (and our water system as we are on well) a little tap, yanking our electrical out of our roof of our house and meter, knocking down the power pole it was attached to (apologies to our neighbors and their power going out as well), and doing a number on various points in our fence. We were without power and water for just a tick over 8 solid days, but it wasn't too bad as our neighborhood had a few generators and large portable batteries going, with extension cords looped over everyone's yards. Thankfully my wife's father being higher up in a large construction firm here in town we were able to immediately take care of the tree, our electrical at our house (even though we had to wait for the power company to reset the pole), demolition of the no longer useful structures and our well guy to come out and reattach various pipes, before a vast majority of the people around us were able to even just clear their trees. Extremely, fabulously fortunate. Finally this weekend our insurance adjuster is actually showing up. Good thing we took lots of pictures and have a full set of invoices and are able to absorb the financial cost even without insurance.
We are still without internet.

I retract my statement, but I’m still glad you’re safe and didn’t sustain catastrophic damage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Does anyone else think importing has become more popular? Or at least buying from importers? In my neighborhood alone (Orlando, FL), there’s a Nissan figaro, a house with 2 kei trucks and an original mini cooper, another with 2 of the older, smaller G-wagens and a celica that looks like a GT-Four. We passed an R32 skyline here the other day. These have all popped up in the last couple years. I do see kei trucks on the road here too, but I’m not sure if they’re that person above or someone else.