Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Engine in that is still produced for some markets IIRC so parts are still around.

if anyone is ever legitimately in the market for a Fuso, PM me.

[edit] also that Prado rolling off a few pages back is likely somebody's personal car -- look for the Y on license plates, that means it's registered through a US military base and not through the prefecture. Things you learn living in the boonies near a Navy base.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Oh, question on that 7.5l fire truck: would something like that typically have a synchronized or unsyncronized transmission?

Synchronized manual, which they also sold in the US at the time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dagen H posted:

2G Toyota bB? (JDM Scion xB)

Yep, one of those.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Y’all keep buying the cool stuff before I can acquire the parking space to store something old and fun :smith: looks like I’ll just have to focus on stuff built from 2000 forward then.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Is top speed really only 110mph?

Considering the highways are posted at 80 kph much of the time...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

that's the car you buy when you run a bondage cafe in Ginza and all your waitresses wear PVC maid outfits.

Roppongi, and I know exactly where that place is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Afraid that's just Japan.txt.

except for it being owned or driven by a high-schooler, but yeah probably somebody in the boonies who got a cheap CD player from the closest Super Autobacs.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bolind posted:

OF THE BUCKET TRUCK

Looks like it’s ex-NTT West, so a former phone/internet line truck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

How in the gently caress... It's like they didn't drive it.

Could be from Kyushu or a part of Japan where there isn’t snow to require road spray.

But also having a car here is so godawful expensive that it’s treated a bit nicer by many people. Not quite like Singapore, but still.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I went to Odaiba/Megaweb last, I think it was the Toyota Fun Cargo they were selling that had a hatch that would open to accept a wheelchair. You'd drive your wheelchair into the back of it and then it would slide into and lock into the drivers' seat position, so you could treat the car like a giant wheelchair around your wheelchair.

Bonkers poo poo. It wasn't just an options package, it was a whole sub-model of the car you could order. Otherwise it's a five-door hatch.

yep, Toyota has a whole section at Megaweb of their more custom/specialized accessibility vehicles, and Honda Japan hast listings for their accessibility vehicles as well on their website. I rented a Toyota Sienta that is barely bigger than a Fit but has seating for seven and two sliding doors, which still seems like a real unique thing to me as well.

nice looking Bongo as well, it's the last generation of those before they just became rebadged Mitsubishis. Wonder what the load max is for that, looks similar to the other LDTs (Isuzu/Hino/Fuso stuff) from the same time. Probably similarly built like a brick shithouse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Realtalk: nope. Not even close. The bucket weight isn't nearly sufficient plus nobody uses trucks for that poo poo other than the companies contracted by power companies to trim pole to pole on roads who all have standards that look a lot more like having more capacity and height as well as air at the bucket for pruners.

when Everdave posted it originally I noticed right away it was a former NTT truck, so yeah, national phone company keeping the phone line infrastructure clear.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Their mobile TV and DVD player setups also often result in antenna wiring all over the place.

the Electronic Toll Control device wiring is also going to play a part, that's not always factory installed either so could wind up in shenanigans. Those usually have the card reader down in the footwell and an antenna around the edge of the front window.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m both amazed and kinda scared that a big and small propane tank made it all the way over to the U.S. intact. Gotta be careful with those.

If there’s Japanese on the wiring that’s been done, you should be able to figure it out with Google Translate. I think it can translate photos now?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

French Canadian posted:

1x Isuzu NPR filter from eBayer in Texas that is ALMOST the same p/n but instead of ending in a 0 it ends in a 1. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what the different of a single digit will be? They look goddamn similar but I won't know til I have it in my cold dead hands.

is this thing a Toyota or Isuzu? If it's an Isuzu, might be worth asking one of the local Isuzu dealers to see what they have for that era of NPR, because they've been bringing those to the U.S. since at least the 1980s. They should still have parts to match the older models, because there's every likelihood those older engines are still being made and sold elsewhere in the world.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

everdave posted:

I am not going to disagree but when I found a pearl white diesel 4wd 5 speed with granny doilies inside, one owner and CLEAN had to pick it up. Of course I want the moon roofs but I think this will be great for a build. 73k miles.

break the doilies out for Radwood, that van would be catnip for that sort of place.

for complete JDM style it's gonna need a omamori for good luck and protection while driving. that sort of thing would be a good traditional Japanese thing to provide to the cars some of you guys are selling through.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I had completely forgotten about the Celsior and now I've got Car Sensor open. sigh.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Cars themselves are dirt cheap in Japan, it's the costs of ownership (getting a license, shaken (compulsory safety inspection/insurance), fuel, highway tolls, etc) that get pricey.

And parking. It's like NYC if you're in or around Tokyo -- if you live in an apartment that has parking, that can be $400-500 a month for that building, otherwise you're sticking it somewhere else (I've seen advertisements on Facebook for a spot about 20 minutes walk from where I live for $150 a month). There's also an annual tax you have to pay that depends on engine size/vehicle size, it was like $450 or so for the year for the B4 when I owned that.

Fuel also depends, but it is usually between 120-140 yen/liter so $4.50 a gallon or so. Highway tolls add up, just going around the loop in Tokyo is $8 by itself. I've had day trips out of Tokyo that run me ~$50 in tolls alone -- whereas taking the train would be about as long and probably less than half the cost.

Half the reason I want to buy an apartment/house here is to lock in a parking spot so I can go do something stupid like get a Celsior or an old Legacy B4 just to have for weekends or road trips. All of those costs are why the cheap cars get more expensive pretty quick.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

apparently Honda do still sell new Acty kei trucks over here, but yeah you see more ads on TV for the Suzukis.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m the double-DIN MiniDisc player

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Is it actually a van, or a regular truck cab with a custom back on it?

We get vans with lift buckets built into them here, but they're very much still van bodies.

:eng101: all of those will be the cab and (bare) chassis, except for non-dumping flatbeds. Same for all cab-over commercial vehicles 3.5 metric tons GVW on up. So this van-crane thingy is custom from a body-builder. Might be an old electric company truck? But I don't know who's paint scheme would be yellow with black and white.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

If I were an uber/lyft driver it would be really fun to buy one of these Crown Comforts.

They’re almost all converted/sold as using propane/CNG for fuel, so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Importing from Japan: Nanpa Know How

[edit] Google Translate does terrible things to Japanese sex slang but all I can say is that ain't talking about becoming a squid man it's about making women orgasm

harperdc fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 28, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I assumed it was a translation of trying to make women not only orgasm, but squirt. See illustrations helpfully provided :v:
And while squid man not being the true translation, can you explain the rice fields? I know I can not.

Japanese Linguistics minute: the Japanese term for orgasm is “to go,” iku/ikimasu いく and the phrase on the cover is conjugated to say “make [someone] go” ikaseru いかせる written as イカせる for emphasis.

(There’s also an old joke about American/Japanese couples not knowing if they’re coming or going that makes sense in this context)

It also just so happens ika イカ is Japanese for squid :v: so the translator grabbed that.

Rice fields get soaked and flooded, so thats why it’s a level below Super Soaker :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tell me the truck is from the ‘90s without telling me it’s from the ‘90s. Wonder what print-out photo the construction dudes stuck there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

lol so is this really a family picture frame, but a sticker stuck on the rear window facing forward? That was a thing in the 90s in Japan?

It’s a holder for photo booth aka ‘print club’ aka purikura photos. Considering the popularity of photo booth stuff in 1990s Japan, it’s absolutely a thing. You’re more likely to see that sort of thing in a private car but hey the work truck can get a photo too I guess.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

How does this work btw? I've noticed that the only thing specifically banned is diesels in certain cities which is how you end up with UZ-swapped 70s in Japan. Otherwise it seems that Japan will let you drive whatever it is you want, just the cost goes vertical depending on what it is. They don't outright ban things, right?

Not to my knowledge. Hell, the old go-kart tours through Tokyo that might resemble a Nintendo game are on karts with white plates, so fully street legal. There's no laws about left hand drive/right hand drive either, hence why some of the European brands (Mercedes, BMW, Porsche spring to mind) used to only import LHD vehicles (Hong Kong insists on RHD vehicles from memory).

but yes, shaken gets tougher and becomes an every-two-years thing.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Pretty much. The actual cost to do the shaken stays the same AFAIK, but garages will charge more for older/rarer stuff. Virtually everybody does it through a garage so the the maxim of "shaken costs go up over time" is basically true. You technically can shaken a vehicle yourself (it's called "user shaken") by bringing it in to the testing centre yourself and making any repairs/mods necessary, but very few people have the time and space to do much work on their own vehicles. A mate of mine did it on his GS and got knocked back for headlight alignment and handlebar width, he fixed it in the carpark, went back through, and they gave him the green light.

Most of the cost of shaken is parts/labour (with markup), the actual inspection itself is like, I dunno, $100-200 at most from memory. There's also some third party compulsory insurance in there too but I don't think that goes up with age, probably just different between keis and normal-sized cars. IIRC I think there is an annual "mini shaken" on cars over a certain age, but it's optional/you can just fill it out yourself, so in practice it means bugger all.

The mindset of doing things the "normal" way is pretty strong among Japanese people; I was surprised to learn that none of my Japanese co-workers in 2012 even knew how to register their own cars. Everyone pays a mechanic 10,000 yen to do it because they can't take the afternoon off work to go down to the DMV and do it themselves. It costs like 7 bucks and takes 15 minutes, I was the only one in there not wearing coveralls :v: At the time you couldn't do it online, not sure if that's changed but I wouldn't put much money on it in the Land Of The Still In Use Fax Machine, lol.

hey buddy :) I think the other cost is what in the U.S. would be basic collision insurance -- you're paying for that for two years, hence how those parts and labor costs also get towards $1,000-1,200 total.

I also went and got the license plate for my car once upon a time, and I think it was like 3,000 yen or so? the other cost is annual tax/registration cost, which can run $400-500 depending on engine size.

but yes, the tl;dr is that by the time a new car is now seven years old, the dealer is starting to hit up the customers with pamphlets on the new models. Shaken is designed to keep a fleet of new cars on the roads, and the costs of Kei cars and small hatchbacks means if you really need a car in the countryside, you can also keep up with that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Loving the Toyota Rent-a-Car keychain, and the omamori hanging in the 4WD van as well, but that fire bottle is probably a hazard, it's likely original (can't zoom in enough but I think it's labeled as being from 1995).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

2 doors best doors?

Forgot one :colbert:

I’ve ridden in and seen a bunch of that generation of Delica, I like them a lot better than the square ‘80s ones.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Pajero Pinin are fun toys but every car i've seen had rust spots somewhere. They are stupid cheap here in Italy, a last gen model (2005-2006) can be found for 2-3k€

Yeah but that’s the Evolution, the one they built for Dakar with Lancer Evo engines. They’re going for 2.5mil yen and higher on the used car sites here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

This is a 1997 Toyota Calidna GT-T. It is a 3S-GTE powered AWD 5 speed manual wagon. This one is absolutely original down to the stereo. I shouldn't have to explain why this thing freakin' rules, but it case I do please re-read the previous sentences, thanks.

Holy poo poo, I somehow didn’t know Toyota played the “make a stealth AWD turbowagon” game as well. That owns, that’s awesome as hell.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Your 'VIN' on a kei truck is actually called the 'chassis ID' technically but will be called VIN by anyone state-side. As seen here in a Suzuki Carry kei truck:

The VIN here is 'CHASSIS NO.'. I say this because everyone will say VIN but everything from Japan says 'chassis'. It is a unique number tied to that specific vehicle like a VIN though.

For whatever reason Japanese OEMs don’t punch a full 17-digit VIN for domestic production, but do (with world code J) for exported vehicles. So anything you guys will import will just have that format, including the dash in the middle. I haven’t found a reason why, but likely “because Japan”.

Where it gets fun is aligning local VINs for vehicles finally assembled outside Japan with those internal chassis codes. Glad I’m not handling that sort of thing at work anymore!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Somewhat related to the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRG0Wai4sR0

In which Donut Media learns about all the incredible grift surrounding importing vehicles, this time an itty-bitty Chinese electric truck.

tl, dr: Basically, they could have bought an already-imported Kei truck.

The only Changli content you need is on The Autopian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4_crjEcHOI

and I don't think it's the case of "why not do this instead of a kei truck" as one is a new EV made on the super cheap and the other has 660cc of fury to haul Peace butts and Boss Coffee cans.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

A little odd, since this is the Corolla Levin GT-Z I bid on last week, for some reason it was listed again *this* week, different auction house, but I got it for less than what I bid on it last week :confused:

1989 Toyota Corolla Levin GT-Z, 5 speed manual, FWD, 63k km with a grade 4.5. All original. Pictures speak for themselves in this instance, but it's as perfect as you can get a Toyota from 1989.

Same down to the chassis number? Wild.

Also love the art on the manual/books they had with it, those covers are a goddamn Vibe.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I rolled into Seattle for work yesterday and spotted a red JDM not-kei crew cab fire truck n traffic. I think it was a Toyota Ace, but never got to see the front of it. Aluminum wheels and larger tires on the rear for whatever reason, but still rocking the red steelies in front.
Any of you?

If it was cab-over it might be an imported older Isuzu/Fuso/Hino, but they also have been brought to the U.S. brand new forever so it might be a survivor. Unless you saw it was RHD :v: I know in times past in this thread people spotted old bigger-than-kei diesel fire trucks as well on auction sites, so it’s possible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

50kkm since '92 on a Toyota pickup. How is that even possible. Worth so much god drat money indeed

Inspection sheet said “decals removed” which probably means it was the kind of work truck that stood around a fair bit, or only ran really short distances.

Tyro posted:

I still may buy a car from Japan but if I can't take it with me, I have to deal with significant duty recapture on resale etc. Might not be worth it.

I went to Nairobi on a business trip a few years back, and so many of the cars on the road have stickers that give away that they’re from Japan - from the obvious dealer stickers (eg Saitama Toyopet) to police inspection and Japanese emissions-related stickers, a ton of cars were clearly shipped over once the shaken got expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Further context: For a long time, the big German brands didn't own their importers into Japan - e.g. how BMW USA, MB USA are direct subsidiaries of the mothership in Munich and Stuttgart, and sell the U.S. market vehicles to their authorized dealership network. Instead, they were imported through a third-party who negotiated the rights with BMW, MB, GM, etc. (That company is Yanase, and they still have dealerships sitting next to BMWJ and MBJ in Japan). And for a long time, they didn't import right-hand drive vehicles -- or at least, I'm guessing customers had the option of getting LHD models, because you do see a bunch of them from the 1980s and 1990s around. (I just saw a very nice E24 635csi driving the other day and it was LHD).

So tl;dr it's possible it was originally sold LHD in Japan, it's possible it was brought into Japan from the U.S. (I don't remember Japan's laws offhand but I think they're looser than the draconian American set of rules) but so long as there's a paper trail everything should still be ok. There are VIN checkers online for both brands you can drop a number into and get details, including original market of sale.