Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any similar auction resource I can use for japanese motorcycles? I would love to get a 1990 honda cbr250 from where they arent even remotely rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlackMK4 posted:

Unfortunately, RVF400 prices would end up more than already imported ones once you take everything into account :(
http://motorcycle.goobike.com/motorcycle/bike/honda__rvf400/summary.html

e: Actually, prices are pretty much higher for everything

none of those are 1993 or earlier. do the same rules not apply for motorcycles?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah cool according to this list that bike is ok up to 2000

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/10/24/2017-22692/list-of-nonconforming-vehicles-decided-to-be-eligible-for-importation

How much did the OP pay for their az-1's or how much do you think I should pay for one?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 30, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bidding on this tastefully riced cappuccino
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tAULLNNdUy2L6lF.htm

fingers crossed!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cakesmith handyman posted:

drat that's clean.

its apparently an extra 1500 to register in california for EPA stuff which is way too much for what is basically a toy. Im going to have it shipped and registered in TX then drive it to CA

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won as the only bidder but didnt meet the reserve of 850k gently caress me that owner is insane

1990-1995 FD rx-7s are on the exemption list, I wish i didnt know that

*edit
The japan auctions guys say it would still have to be done through a registered importer and do all the epa conformity BS.

1993's or earlier for now i guess

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 31, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's the opposite of rice :v:

i was referring more the the aftermarket exhaust, trunk lip and boost gauge. I would have really liked to win that one.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im sure each state is different but do I need to have the car physically present to register it the first time after importation? Is there a DMV inspection? I am wondering if I can have it shipped to CA where i live but have my brother register it for me in TX under his name before doing a title transfer to me later in CA.

The backup plan would be to have it arrive in TX to be registered by him and then have it shipped to me in CA which is 100% possible but costs more.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 1, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how come I dont see any spray on liners on the kei trucks and so many rusty truck beds? Is there some sort of environmental law that makes them hard to buy in Japan?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-au9sIsFhSDYsTl.htm
For now the plan is to title and register in TX before trying to register in CA. Hopefully the tiny engine size gives me an EPA and smog exemption.
I glad I started with something cheap to figure this stuff out

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am definitely going to buy an rx-7 and cappuccino but I wanted to make sure I could actually import them before spending bigger money. Thats why I went with a $350 kei truck first

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my sambar is on the way to texas now. Can anyone recommend me a customs broker to help with getting it out of the port and to my home? 1st time doing this, going in totally blind

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my subaru sambar is arriving in TX in the next few days. This is my first import being done as a proof of concept before I try for something bigger and more expensive like a twin turbo 300zx or an rx-7.

Do you guys usually pick it up in person at the docks or do you have a shipping service deliver it to your home?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

everdave posted:

I have them picked up. My Landcruiser was picked up today - it will be delivered to my driveway tomorrow for $280. It would cost me $100 to enter the port without a TWIC card - its really a no brainer unless you are close by and have your own transport. I am 7+ hours away from my port.

I didnt know about that extra fee. Are you using a local transporter or a larger nationwide one?
I too am about 7 hours away and would rather pay someone to do it.

I got a quote for 170, i hope it pans out and I get to be driving my tiny truck in 2-3 days

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 13, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

everdave posted:

I just use a girl a goon recommended. I text her and email
Some documents and she sources a driver with a Twic card and a price.

$170 sounds reasonable for a small truck.

Have you paid the boat company and paid the port and got a
Delivery order set up?

yeah i got it all paid so far. The delivery invoice specifically said no TWIC card needed. Maybe its smaller port with less security hurdles?

Do you mind sending me her info? Im definitely going to be importing a few more vehicles in the coming 12 months

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone tried getting motorcycles imported? Does the same 25 year thing apply or is it much earlier since they have looser emissions?

The paper I filled out for the truck just says "vehicle" so im thinking its the same as a car?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yikes thats a lot to be spending on a cheap car that old, but I can totally understand it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what were the ratings for the interior/exterior when you bought it and have you found anything that needs to be fixed/replaced?

Looks sweeeeet

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imported a 1991 subaru sambar ks3. Its in Texas with all the proper paperwork and it cleared customs. Its currently sitting in the driveway of a private residence near Dallas. I imported it under my Dad's name because he said it would be no problem for him to register it and then ship it to me in California. He sat on his rear end and did nothing for a month and now the battery is dead. Then he recently lost the keys somehow and taking the lock cylinder to a locksmith to have it rekeyed is something he cant do. I think hes just broke as gently caress and wont admit it, so anything that costs more than $10 "cant be done"

Does anyone who is familiar with registering an imported vehicle want to take over? About $2500 has been spent total getting it into the US. I would gladly let it go for less as long as I can get it out of his incompetent hands before the whole thing rots away from neglect.

Im also going to contact all the companies selling already imported vehicles but I know they will lowball super hard since they could just import it themselves

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 1, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mtmd posted:

If I had not just closed on a house I would grab this in a heartbeat. As an aside, I just this morning finally got the Hiace registered in TX and it's a bit of a pain in the rear end compared to Kaker's experience in FL. Not that surprised your dad was not about it. I'll post the details when I'm not on my phone if anyone's interested.

He has yet to complete step 1 and even attempt to fill out any paperwork. He let the battery go dead so that he couldnt drive it to the inspection then he lost the keys ensuring that even if he fixed the battery he couldnt drive it to the inspection. Texas has nothing to do with his self inflicted problems.

Ill get pics ASAP, but it will be a few days.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’d love to take a Sera to a window tint place just to see the reaction

I took a telsa 3 with an all glass roof to a tint place. The reaction was "its going to cost more"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mx-5/miata, but there is no point importing one unless you want a really good condition LHD one

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imported a sambar last year through Texas and I left it at my dads house while getting the title and registration ready. He lost the keys, both of them. Can a locksmith make a new key with just the locks as reference or am I going to have to import all new locks and an ignition?

Its now legal and insured in Texas but I live in California. Has anyone had much luck registering imports in California? The tentative plan was to leave it registered in Texas if CA wasnt an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah thanks, i enjoyed looking at that