Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

It seems to be about the same if not to much more. I’m bringing in a car to Baltimore hopefully soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Speaking of dealing with the ports. Would it be worth it to deal with a broker for my first time importing a car? Or is not as bad as it seems. I guess it just depends on the port too. I’m not worried about the paper work. Just talking to the right people and making sure everything is in order is what I’m kinda clueless on.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks that’s a huge help. I’m just getting a Cappo for myself. So I’ll probably just pony up the extra for a broker and just have some peace of mind it’s done right.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Pay attention for rust. Hopefully a Japanese one would be ok, but they really do rot if given half a chance.

The guys at JCD have been fantastic at keeping a look out for rust for me. I've seen the horror of a cappo with rotted out floors. It haunts me.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Oh yeah I've been researching parts like crazy. Joined up with SCORE in the UK got a factory parts catalog and service manual. I'll have to check out UK sites for parts. I did find out its got the same front brake set up as the Geo Metro/Swift we got over here so that was a nice surprise.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Did JCD put you in touch with Henry or did you have to find him yourself? Since that's the way I'm going I'd rather use someone JCD has a relationship with if I can.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

So went a little different route with buying a car and picked this up on Yahoo Auctions through a private seller.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g258957922

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Yeah I’d be happy to. As soon as I can not phone post. But the quick and dirty it worked just like buying from a auction house. Just not as faced paced. JCD handled all the minutia. I’ll get more into it later.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Oh you were going through JCD on a private sale. This makes way more sense, I was thinking you were doing it all yourself and was thinking you must walk around with a wheelbarrow to carry balls that big.

Haha, yeah I'm not that crazy. We just weren't that enthused about what was coming up for sale in the auction houses. So we decided to look on the private market. In the end I probably paid a little more but the seller was quick to answer any questions we had about the car and uploaded more detailed photos that included pictures of underneath the car and a short start and idling video. I'm pretty happy about the car now the long wait.

InitialDave posted:

gently caress yeah Cappo bros :boom:
:respek: Your thread is what got me to finally take the jump and actually try and get a Cappo. I've always liked them and drove them way to much in GT games. Crazy I'll have one in my garage in a month or so if all things go well.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

So buying on yahoo auctions is pretty much like buying on eBay. Only real difference was like the auction houses is that you can win for less then your max bid. JCD asked any questions I had and translated the answer back. As well as translating the item description. It was all super smooth I just told JCD what my max bid I wanted to put on the car then just waited it out.

I think that going the private sale route is more risky. Can’t have a inspector look at it. No auction grading system (not that always is accurate anyway). You really are at the mercy of the seller listing the car correctly and honestly. Luckily my seller was always quick to respond to any questions I had and the extra photos they posted seem to back up how they described the car. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have even bothered bidding. So if you’re gonna go the private route I would keep on your toes and really do the legwork in making sure everything is repped correctly. But JCD made it super smooth and overall I’m really happy how it turned out. Once everything is finalized I’ll list the costs involved in buying off yahoo.

Feel free to toss that in the op if you want.

quote:

Yeah I was like "Woah dude just bought from yahoo auctions????" but if it went through JCD then yeah that's much smoother. Still intensely interested in your experience and would love to add it to the op if you're still down. More options = better
Dunno where you are in the country but if JCD is handling the exporting and if you are working with a broker (like Henry from Great World) then it should be super smooth and you've got nothing to worry about. I'd anticipate changing the oil asap though, just to be sure.

Yeah I’ll be using a broker. I’m picking up in Baltimore and saw where the customs house is and getting there with a truck and trailer... yeah gently caress that haha. That alone makes it worth using a broker. I just want to go to the port do whatever minimal paper work and load the car and get out.

Yep car comes with a new unused timing belt the stock springs and I already have a oil filter (thank you Suzuki marine engines)

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 17, 2018

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Electric Pigeon posted:

I can definitely vouch for using a broker, both generally and in the case of Baltimore. I am paperwork-addled, and they made it easy to get things together. I think I only had to overnight one document. As for geography, I drove it home myself, and the route to the customs place has tolls, so no thanks. The shot from the port to the gas station to the highway to get out of town is straightforward and lets you get a feel for the car.

The port pickup was cool. We got to see a series of different manufacturers' collection points and the Ro-Ro ship at the dock nearby in action. The JDM assembly area at our pickup point had all kinds of only-imagined stuff in it: limo, giant-gold-coffin-chambered hearse, kei-trucks, unidentifiable utility vehicles, one of the Toyota AWD vans with safari-looking accoutrements.

I found a cheap Beat with Amagasaki Motor in Osaka, picked it up yesterday, drove it to Ohio, and couldn't be happier with how simple they made things.
** Don't get a Beat if you have meaty thighs (no idea how you'd slide your left leg under the steering wheel to get in) or want to drive up mountains on interstates. Otherwise they are pretty dang lovable. **

Awesome that’s a relief that the broker made things way simpler. Where in Ohio are you? I’m bringing back the Cappo to Cincinnati. It’s funny I’ve already seen quite a few JDM cars rolling around here mostly Skylines but I pass a Pao :3: every morning on 75. Also would you mind going into greater detail about picking up from Baltimore and the way things went down? you can PM if you don’t want to clog up the thread. Also nice Beat!

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 17, 2018

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Continuing adventures with yahoo. So buying through a private party is the same world wide lots of shady people. Won the auction but the seller won’t turn over the registration so we can’t verify the cars information, miles, accident history etc. I just want to commend JCD on being on point and keeping me in the loop and backing out of the sale unless the dude turns over the info and it looks truthful. Oh well back to hunting the auction houses.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Yeah. Probably won’t buy it even if the guys turns it over. But hey better to find out now then later after I paid for it.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Those lite Ace seats are awesome. Like my Malibu swivel seats but way more practical.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-6zgAwZ7VPLfrah.htm
Just won this. Got a decent deal. paint on the roof is cooked but worst case new roof panels aren't to crazy if I can't save the paint. And the valve cover is leaking. But other then that inspection came back pretty clean on it.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks! Since this one was at auction so we shouldn’t have a repeat of the first one hopefully. Yeah inspector said it was pretty much stock. Just some surface rust underneath, oil and coolant looked clean. Inside was nice no major damage just a little dirty.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

KakerMix posted:

gently caress yeah, congrats. is the leaking bad enough that it has to be fixed before it gets on the boat or is it more like seepage?

It’s leaking bad enough it needs to get fixed before it gets on a boat.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Got pics of the Cappo. Needs some touch up here and there but for a 30 year old car I think its in pretty decent shape. I think it'll clean up nice.

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 7, 2018

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks! Yeah I'll probably roll with it like it is for the summer and fix any mechanical issues it may have and do some service work. Than in the fall I'll hand it over to some guys our store works with that do lots of professional touch up for us and have a side business restoring and selling custom 70s vans. They'd love to take a crack at it. I have thought about wrapping it, like you said wouldn't cost much since its so tiny and get to play with lots of different colors that way.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Electric Pigeon posted:

Get an odometer statement if at all possible http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv3724.pdf Also,when you get plates, the VIN will give the computer a stroke and it will claim your title is invalid. The girl called HQ and there's an override involving 25 and a bunch of 9s and then they fix it later, so don't let them send you away.

Thanks for the heads up about the BMV stuff. I'll make sure to not take no for a answer.

InitialDave posted:

Looks good!

Worth asking if it has the radio aerial, looks like it's been removed in the picture. It's not retractable, it screws into the mount. Also check if it has the roof bags in the boot.

Yep it does have the antenna, its on the passenger side in between the seat and center console in another picture I got as well as the roof bags.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Kaker now has me wanting a little truck now. Probably gonna pick up a beater Jimny once the Cappo gets here and gets fixed up. Be fun to bomb around town and the woods with it. I’m sick for Kei cars/trucks now.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Haha yeah I just want a total beater so I won’t feel bad when I dent it up driving it off road. So hopefully it won’t be to much. Really love to get a early one with the two stroke.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

beep-beep car is go posted:

This might be the wrong thread, but the 25 year rule applies worldwide to importing in the US right? Like, if I fell and hit my head and decided I wanted a Trabant, as long as it's 25 years old or more, I could import one?

I wholly support the idea of getting a Trabi. And blowing smoke everywhere. Show up all those bro truck diesels.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

KakerMix posted:

They both have the Suzuki F6A mounted in them which is rad. I wonder how similar they are in each, they are at least mounted differently.

iirc the Jimny F6A is a single cam while the AZ1 has a DOHC, same as the cappuccino with some minor differences. Like it has a lighter crank pulley that all the Capo owners tend to put on their motors.

Speaking of Capos mine should be shipping out in a couple days! :coolspot:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Who is ready for some TENACIOUS 4X4 POWER...

Ugh as soon as the Cappo is here and fixed up I'm getting a Jimny. I could probably flip it here make a decent profit since everyone flips out hard core for tin tops around me.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

everdave posted:

MY wire should have cleared by the 29th and I haven’t heard anything. I have emailed asking if I am good and if I am clear to bid on 2 at a time still and haven’t heard anything.

They also took awhile to get back to me about my wire clearing too. I think they are getting swamped right now and I think they have only one person who has accesses to the bank to check on wether wires showed up or not.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

Sooooo I imported a car from Japan.

(I assume that "no smoking" sticker is responsible for the nice smell in here!)

You can flip the seats!!

Picked up the ACTIVE WORLD from the docks the other day. Having never driven a Delica I was quite pleased by how it drove. The brakes and AC worked well and it felt great on the highway. It was my first time driving a RHD car on in a LHD country, and it was surprisingly easy due to the excellent Delica mirrors. Considering that I'm planning on taking this on a three day trip up the province in this thing I'm delighted to find out that the car is not going to make this an awful experience.

Next steps are to do a few necessary repairs so that this vehicle can pass the Out of Province inspection and get licensed. This involves:
- Replacing lights
- Adding a Daytime Running Light module
- Replacing tires (these tires were done anyway)

Due to me not knowing anything, I decided the best and fastest way to do this was to take the vehicle to Rising Sun, which is one of the shops in town that imports Delicas and exclusively repairs Delicas. I got a text back from the mechanic the other day stating the Delica was in good shape, which is great to hear.

It was really interesting to chat briefly with the owner about importing from Japan. He in fact had an L400 Delica Chamonix on the same boat as me. He is able to make this work because he has contacts in Japan that help him and he's able to cut out the middle man and not have to deal so many of the extra costs around importing that I did. The fact that he can speak Japanese obviously helps!

At the dock car lot I had a brief look around but didn't spot anything really wild and interesting. Where my delica was parked it was surrounded by Subaru Outbacks.

Also spotted while running around the other day doing errands:

This pretty custom paint job Figaro

This uhh crazy thing

Hell yes. Awesome Delica!

My Cappo has landed at the port and been cleared for pick up. Now I just got to get it. And in other news I've convinced some guys at work to all go in on Jimnys together so we can go wheeling with the little things. Way cooler than any UTV and we can drive right to the trails with them no trailers needed.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks. I can’t wait to get out here and get it. Happy to see you’re enjoying the Beat. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out to some autox with the Cappo.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

yesssssss. Nice Jimny!

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Got the Cappo home last night. It’s hilariously fun to drive and makes all kinds of good choo choo noises. Has the dealer installed 6 disc changer and the tiniest little sub you’ve ever seen. Once I give it a good cleaning I’ll put up some pics.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

I’ve been guilted into cross posting this here. Long over due.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

You can kinda see the road safety (charm?) hanging below the dash in this picture. so far so good no one has run me over yet.

The smallest little woofer :woof:

And of course the Cappuccino's party trick roof

Those are probably the worst angles gonna try and touch up the front bumper corner and rear qtr myself. If it comes out like total poo poo then its wrapping time.

quote:

It’s a strange car to drive. Just putting around town just feels like a normal car. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it on a long trip in a heartbeat. Handles the highway no prob. And isn’t to uncomfortable to drive. Just happily burbles along. Parking is stupid easy downtown which is nice. But put it on a back road with some hills and twists, it’s a god drat riot grinning from ear to ear. Totally different car. Suzuki really built a real sports car not just something that looks the part. Really needs some real tires though then it’ll become truly go kart like. Still lots of fun to show up dudes with exotics parked around town. Every time I see it and drive it just puts a stupid smile on my face.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Wanna play that Bongo.

Also as a side note detailing a kei car is cheating. Took less then an hour to completely claybar the Cappuccino.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Picked up at Baltimore and needed no TWIC stuff. Signed in, gave them my paper work, grabbed the car and loaded up. Then drove out.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Beanzor posted:

Are those springy things cup holders? I think I want a pair of these for my Acty.

Is there a recommended place that sells dumb kei truck accessories? Parts seem relatively easy to find, but I want to browse the stupid and completely unnecessary stuff.

http://hello-special.com/

https://www.blow-net.co.jp

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 9, 2019

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Hey just a quick question, but what’s everyone doing for parts right now since Amayama isn’t shipping to the US?

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Awesome thank you. Sold my cappuccino and on to something else.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Got a very tall Jimny.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Same here too. Jimny at Baltimore cleared on the 9th USDA rescinded release for seed contamination. Hopefully once it’s re cleaned at port it should be released next week.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Yay jimny is free from customs hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Finally got my Jimny home and wheeled it around in the snow. It’s amazing just kinda crawled over everything and it’s so small it weaves through the trees no problem.