Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thread is rad, your taste in cars is rad, this is just rad and I hope poo poo really works out for you on this so I can learn more about it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Japan got Minis with air con too! There's a few cars released worldwide that got better spec in Japan.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It just means you'd have to get a vert and live with only taking it out on dry days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

:fap: I want a Z20 with the 7M-GTE so freaking bad.

Edit: :page3:

Car yes, engine no. Unless you like taking engines to bits to install head gaskets and ARPs*... A friend has purchased 2 spare 7Ms and I'm toying with the idea of buying one and rebuilding it so it's bulletproof (mine burns oil) or just go all out and swap for a 2JZ/1UZ.

*ignore if this has been done already, the bottom ends are beefy and will take abuse but won't stand running low on oil at all.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 7, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nodoze posted:

I want an R32 GTR but not at 25k. A shame cause I'll prob never get to own one but I'll just remind myself they are heavy and I probably won't like it as much as I think I will. That's how that works right

Just gotta find an FD or an NSX some day and I won't care about never owning a GTR :v:

What's the exchange rate like? A friend here in the UK has an ~800bhp R32 GTR up for that amount in £££...

Car is a loving monster but I'd turn down the boost personally, it's just silly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Better to ask for forgiveness ,right?????????

loving another woman? Nope.

Buying another car? Yes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I need money for one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1l4-LxqdOM

Mitsuoka did a series of TINY cars, 50cc things which were small enough they could be driven on a scooter license. Rules changed in the mid 80s meaning no more BUBU cars.

The 502 is loving cool, I won't hear otherwise.
http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-bubu-502-the-least-sleek-car-ever-built-1795585421

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Toyota posted up about their GT86 wearing Initial D decals and a fair few comments were from people trying to convince them to just make the loving AE86 again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The comments from Toyota when someone mentioned all the cool looking poo poo they used to make were "well we make the GT86 aaaaaaaaaaaaand the limited edition GRMN Yaris..." The Yaris is cool in that it's got more hp than the GT86 but it's FWD and a Yaris and this loving launch video is just.............. ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0CkrVLhmJ0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I just want a car that looks awesome and as this thread has shown, they're all old...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Larrymer posted:

The BRZ/FRS is newer and better in probably every way except it isn't a hatch. I don't get why people are clamoring for some old shitbox when they aren't even buying the spiritual successor.

To me at least, the new one looks like poo poo. That's one reason... Cars are not just about what is factually better performance wise seeing as that's poo poo you can't look at, they're rolling pieces of art and some art is lovely looking. I'd much rather have a ratty looking AE86 that breaks down every month than a brand new GT86/BRZ purely on looks alone, that's how crap I feel Toyota did the 'spiritual successor'

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I smile every single time I turn my headlights on, simply because they pop up. That's never going to be a thing on a modern car. If there's a kid looking at my car I pop the headlights up and the kid invariably starts pointing and alerting their mum/dad/whoever that it's the coolest thing ever. Headlights! When a modern car's headlights elicit such a visceral reaction from anyone I may concede that modern cars aren't all shite.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Did that thing really sell for $1140? :aaa:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's so beautiful :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Actually, that's more a country-of-manufacture thing than a country-of-use thing. Most cars in the UK will have the same "lights on left, wipers on right" layout you're used to. It's just as bad for us when Japanese/Korean stuff doesn't.

My car is indicators on the right and thusly every other car or van I drive has me using the wipers when I want to indicate. Annoying but there we go.

Also I forgot the Toyota Bb Open Deck was a thing. I want one so someone else can drive it and I can sit in the the little seats in the back facing traffic. I believe these (or a slight variation of) were eventually sold in the US as a Scion of some sort?

:3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ah the US got the regular Bb, not the cool little cut off one. I don't think too many of the Open Deck ones were made even in Japan, I think they were available for maybe a year tops.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

astropika posted:

The youtube guys I posted about before bought one of those as a company car a while back, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCT7BPdW7M

The bed seems remarkably useless, maybe it was intended for surfboards? skis?

I had a little Tomy radio control car Bit Char-G which had a surfboard in the set but no real place for it to go?!

Also they looked at that modified ITB Figaro with the insane interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5yhbcXdhhE

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

savesthedayrocks posted:

Keep that shift knob when you deliver to the fire dept to watch their faces.

I say swap it out for one that lights up/is an actual dildo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I keep forgetting they did a kei version of the Pajero. :3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TadBradley posted:

How bad of an idea is importing an old Toyota Century? Please tell me it's a terrible idea because I have been looking at pictures the last two weeks and it has completely colonized my brain. I'll never pass California emissions, right?

Which version? First gen was a V8, 2nd and 3rd were 5l V12s... I doubt any will pass smog but they're loving sweeeeeeet.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

They were sold here, apparently parts are interchangeable with the micra, a popular shitbox hatch that was available in manual so a conversion would be possible, if a bit of work.

They're mk1 Micra-engined so parts are pennies and you can manual swap them easy enough. They do rot like a motherfucker though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Never sold in the UK, Figaros were the most common imports of the 3 Pike cars; Figaro, Pao and Be-1 (which I've never EVER seen in person).

According to the internets the Pao was actually produced the most some 50k cars in a 3 year run, Figaro 20k and Be-1 10k, both single year runs.

The S-Cargo was ~10k and I've seen a few of those.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ I'm convinced they're a myth.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Weren't all Nissan Pike cars essentially re-bodied March/Micras? The Be-1 (still my favorite one probably because it isn't as popular), Figaro, Pao and S-Cargo are just Micras with fancy bits on top, or so I thought I had read elsewhere.

It's difficult to find exact details but it's generally assumed (due to sharing the engine) that they're all March/Micra chassis cars. I do want a Be-1, they're so cute.

:3

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I see you your 72 Toyota Publica and raise you 73 Mitsubishi Lancer

gently caress yeah dude, colour's perfect too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SquirrelGrip posted:

Probably way off topic but has anyone ever owned/looked at a toyota chaser/tourer jzx100?

I imagine those are still reasonably well sought after, I've seen a few here in the UK despite them never being sold here and doesn't Daigo roll in one?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's a guy round by me that has one, never caught him to talk to but it seems to be daily driven rather than a weekend thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

W58 is what I have in my mk3 Supra. Feels very solid but it's definitely a truck transmission, it's not what you'd call 'smooth' and having rented a new Honda recently and getting back into mine it just highlighted how awful it is :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of hearses, I wonder how much those massive elaborate gold temple-looking motherfuckers go for...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Those are raaaaaaaaaaare

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Speaking of the Crown:

It's at port awaiting shipment to the other side of the world where I am at. It's easily both the least expensive and best vehicle I've bought from auction. It's in excellent shape, completely stock and 1 owner with low miles. Suuuuper pumped to bathe in that beige. Shame I won't be able to use that Dolby Noise Reduction system for anything :v:

That battery is 85% the size of the whole block, no joke. I don't know why it's so huge but according to the repair manual that's stock battery size.

EDIT
Does the 'METAL' label on the tape deck mean it has the fancy stuff to play metal tapes?

Holy poo poo it has a 1JZ? Amazing! Dare I ask how much for that beautiful box?

And yes, metal on a tape deck means it'll work properly with those tapes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was going through some old pictures and found this pic of my old Skyline that I thought I had lost.

Five door turbo 5 speed, I wonder what one of those would be worth now.

I never knew such a thing existed. :aaa:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah hopefully it works when you get it back together.

I really dig this style of Skyline and I think it's mostly due to the fact that they seem to be the least-appreciated body style. I've seen a couple (like literally two) 2000 TURBO RS-X variants of that hatch style.

Also gave birth to still possibly the raddest Skyline race car ever...

:allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I got gifted a kit last year, it comes with deeeeeeep dish gold rims as well as those aero blade ones. I really should put that together, it's cool as gently caress.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Are drivers over there really that bad that you have to buy essentially a tank in order to survive the commute to work?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I'm now infringed upon.

These are joke words, right? You typed them in complete jest?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's a cultural thing, everyone has to have a pickup truck because reasons, what is this tiny go kart "truck" you speak of?

Never mind getting through to all the insecure males that NEED a F150 to help them feel more manly, that's a nut you're never going to crack. No way I'd be caught dead in a Kei truck the guys at work will laugh at me!

All these dudes were bullied at school.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A friend of mine has an Acty deluxe that I forgot about because he's had it stashed in his garage for a year or so.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

An $11k Beat is certainly a thing :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

RCR reviewed an AZ-1 (well, he talked a bunch of poo poo about how the car came to be but never actually talked about the car he drove) and mentioned it sold for something like $13k. Last year I was seeing them on Japan sites for $6k...