Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

The guy I sold the Crown to found the problem:

:argh: ECU :argh:

Man those old capacitors are getting really long in the tooth these days. In all fairness they weren't really made with the intention to be in use for 25+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm jealous of everyone ITT with a Kei car. If I had the money I would love to buy an Alto.

Here in Atlanta I've been seeing a lot of imports lately - mostly R32s. The other day I saw a hilariously awful R32 with Cambered rear wheels that were basically riding on the tire's sidwall. Also he had "DUB" spray painted on the gigantic aftermarket radiator.

Anyways if any of you guys in the area want to let me drive your Kei cars hmu ;)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone here ever import an Alto?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Omg that mazda is beautiful. If only it had a standard transmission?

Do drivers in Japan usually buy MT transmissions?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

Like everdave says most GTs are automatic. There aren't many Cosmos at all that show up, that's the 4th? Maybe? I've ever seen at auction since I started. Always gorgeous though.
I personally really like the second gen Toyota Soarers, might pick one up way later just to see what their like.

If you do you have to give a trip report. I know most GT cars are auto in the states but I figured it might be different in Japan.

Also it's especially sad because automatic transmission from that era were pretty mushy :(

I guess you could always swap it?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Beverly Cleavage posted:

In a few years, might see if I can find a turbo AWD stagea. Those can't be THAT expensive, right? :v:

I'm sure they will be when they become legal in the US...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Solus posted:

Lord give me the strength to not buy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdP2gGocVmI

Treat the auction sites like a car select screen in a video game while listening to this on repeat.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

It's funny you mention that because there is a Mako-ish rep up now.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-zXBQAhT5kZKmtO.htm

I'm not a big fan of the hood or the rear bumper.

Still very nice though. It's so tempting to buy another s13 but my USDM 88 300zx is literally sitting on bricks in my best friend's mom's driveway so I don't think I could really justify it until I at least move that thing somewhere else lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

Disappointed it isn't this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Z0zutwDRg

bew bew bew beeeeeeeewww bew bew beww bew bew

Tentatively sold ratty AZ-1 today on eBay, nice profit IF the person goes through and I've got no reason to doubt, but you know ~eBay~. Decided to sell my good one too so that's up for sale locally.
AZ-1s are fantastic but it just doesn't fit in my lifestyle right. I look for excuses to drive alone and that doesn't do good with my wife and I. Bongo and Rugger will be here shortly and I'm expecting to fall for the Rugger so I'll drive that instead.

I did put together a video on what it's like to live with an AZ-1 if you guys are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6C3Pl34r1o

It's real long but I like to be thorough.

Your voice does not sound like I expected it to.

Are the tweeters aftermarket or did they come stock that way?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
That's really dope man

Have you tried resetting the stereo?

Are you in FLA? Let me know if you're trying to sell anymore of those beauties.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

I have not tried to reset the stereo though I'm not even sure how I'd do it anyway, have to look into it.

I am in Florida yeah, Sarasota area. I have the good AZ-1 up on just craigslist right now, will put it on Facebook marketplace later and see what the response is.

AZ-1s are read and I've had my time with it. It's worth a lot of chedda and there are always more neat JDM rides so time to move on!

I'm in ATL. I just found your ad and I can not afford the AZ-1 although I would love to buy it. It is minty af and the pictures on the ad are great.

I was wondering if you were trying to sell any of the Jimneys

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

Yeah we have the 92 dark blue/purple one up for sale right now and we're waiting on the Rugger and Bongo to be delivered before we have the state send out their inspector to get the other gray Jimny with the sick 90s decals on the side up for sale.

Check out what we all missed tho:

Fukkin' camper Crown

Jesus... Did a company preform the conversion or was this someone's project?

Also are they on the Sarasota are CL? I probably can't afford those cars either but I have a friend that has been looking for a Jimny/Rugger for awhile (and he has more money than I do).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

I'd have to assume it's a company that does the conversions, Toyota was cool back then but not that cool.
Just the purple Jimny I have up for sale. I'm assuming I'm going to want to keep the Rugger for a bit if its at all like the 85. Since I've given up on keeping the AZ-1 I need something else to grab onto. The Bongo too might just be too useful, I've never owned a pickup before :v:

I just found your listen and the write up is very good. It is very tempting but I don't need to be spending that kind of money lol. I'll pass it along to my friends that like imports though since we're (sort of) close geographically.

Also I have to ask, do you own any minidiscs for that head unit? Also I love the gauges on the center dash.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

No Minidiscs, but the headunit itself works, just gently caress-all you can do with a Japanese-radio-specific unit. Those center gauges are stock too, and the clock works. I think the Wild Wind package means you get those. If you are truly interested I can always do a Goon Discount™ so just let me know.

:eyepop:

I'd like to go for it but it's just not the right time. It isn't a Royal Crown but instead a Super Deluxe, which is either THE or close to the top trim for Crown Wagons in 1989. 5 speed manual, one owner, maintenance records, 45,000 miles. Is a smokers car though as there are burns on the interior. Also fender mirrors!!

Ah bummer - you should get some minidiscs off ebay or something. I would love to just see how a minidisc headunit works (I'm young and have never seen one IRL outside of car shows). I am interested in it but it's gonna be a good year or so before I can justify a purchase like that. I really need to save money.

I actually saw a Crown Wagon of a similar vintage on i85 driving through downtown Atlanta the other day. Gave him the thumbs up lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

I had a portable MD player back in the day, what a nightmarish format to record onto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B589nZlufyI

Was it anything like this music video?

If you get to the 2:00 point in the video he smashes a minidisc btw

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 27, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I want it.

Do these usually command high prices? I know the Helix is considered the most reliable car ever by a lot of people.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everdave posted:

It depends I was surprised the Surf went for what it did (expected higher).

This is a 4, accuarate mileage, 5 speed diesel looks like. It looks like the tits to me. If I was bidding I'd probably throw 475-500 at it. But it could go for way more.

Yeah it looks great. It's hard to find good smaller Japanese trucks in the states these days. If you want a decent truck you have to get something big or put in some work on a old Nissan given how loving horrible the ford ranger is.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

wargames posted:

Where are you at that has insurance that low?

Yeah I have liability on a Honda accord in ATL and it's almost $200 a month for just that.

I'm 24 and male but I don't have a single ticket on record.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

yall gettin hosed by insurance

yup it loving sucks

I've looked everywhere and can't fine a lower rate than the one I have :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Please remember that for the most part insurance quotes are not comparable, you have to factor in state of residence, record, credit score, type of car, and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

This is to confuse you so you feel that they must be right.

In the end get a broker, if they are ethical and good at their job they will do wonders for you.

I'm young and don't know what you mean by "get a broker"?

Are there people that you can hire to get you lower auto insurance rates? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing because I'm a poo poo head kid.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://vimeo.com/265361498

My friend showed me this a few days ago and it reminded me of this thread because the characters drive some USDM Toyota wagon.

I just hope you guys aren't still making mix CDs as gifts lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Omg look at those pods coming out of the stalks. Isuzu always held the title for second weirdest Japanese auto manufacturer in my book (Subaru being the first obv).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everdave posted:

YOU too can live the dream! Just follow these 100 steps to fame and glory!

The idea that one day I'll have enough money to flex on this thread is honestly what's keeping me going at this point.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Relevant image.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 18, 2019

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Going by their logic then they should ban all 90's cars because none of them meet current safety standards, like not even close.

I mean to be fair - modern cars are dangerous on Maine roads because it's basically off-roading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BuckyDoneGun posted:

2 doors best doors?

I love the trooper so much.

My dad bought his the month I was born. I rode in it everywhere and even learned to drive in it. I was looking at them like 2 years ago and was shocked when I realized that it had no airbags... Don't know why I always assumed it did.

The vehicross is too weird for me but that AWD "power distribution" thing on the dash is really neat (that and the early backup camera).

I was so sad when it got Cash for Clunkered :(

Also asking for a friend, what are Honda Accord Aerodecks going for these days? I noticed on bring a trailer that one sold for around $7k back in 2020 but I imagine they're probably considerably more expensive these days?