Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Loanarn posted:

Still not worried about saftey at all. Premium is a dealbreaker for a daily. Did that for 10 years and id like to stop now. I think I am narrowing in on either a CRX or a Cappuccino. There are a few local CRX's that look pretty good for the price.

As someone who DD an EF hatch for far too long (CRX with a backseat) do not look for a CRX as a daily. Theft is an insane issue with these cars- you can break into them by looking at them the wrong way and cheap/easily interchanged parts makes them highly desirable stripped on the CL market. I protected mine with a Club, kill switch and quarter panel rust and even that wouldn't stop the odd crackhead from peering in the hatch or tugging at the door handles. They are also a bit too spartan in 2018 although I suppose that isn't a concern if you are cross shopping it with a kei car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Holy crap, also a one owner car! The details also mention a new water pump and drive shaft boots.

It's an interesting museum piece, but a 4sp mated to a 550cc engine is gonna make modern keis look downright spritely.

The Acty Attack 4 speed/550cc I drove was drat near redline at 50mph so I imagine 55 would hit the limiter.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Yesterday my friend and I took the trip to Newark to receive his '92 Supra Twin Turbo R:

I will get more pics once it is not so cold but holy poo poo this is the cleanest 90's car I have ever sat in. The Bride interior is in nearly perfect shape and the only mods are wheels and a turbo timer.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Snowy posted:

How was the experience at port Newark? I’m in nyc so I’ve been curious if it’s much of a nightmare there.

Quite smooth save for a few things:

- We didn't use a broker so we had to go to the customs office ourselves. This was relatively painless but parking downtown with a truck and trailer was impossible so I would do this ahead of time. Google maps will have several locations listed as US Customs without explanation of what services are offered at each branch; you will need to go to the location at 1100 Raymond Blvd.
- The port guys are on lunch from 11:30A - 1P, attempting to walk into the area even 10 minutes earlier had a security guard screaming at us so plan accordingly.
- You will load on the street outside the port which will be absolutely clogged with 18-wheelers. Moving quickly is absolutely key as we had several close calls with truckers almost clipping the trailer or giving us dirty looks until we were out of their way.

Outside of this it was a remarkably easy process. My buddy has done it twice previously so he had a rough lay of the land, but it is totally within the realm of a first timer.

E: Additional content:

These two '53 Cadillacs were sold at Mecum and being loaded onto a ship to be sent to Austria

Gay Weed Dad fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 18, 2019