Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

slothrop posted:

Fuckin lol. The Japanese import Galant my stepdad drove in the 90’s had the same key. I always wondered what the gently caress it was about.

Yeah, Royal Clover is an aftermarket key blank maker in Japan. They've made some really cool keys - you can see some here: https://www.miataturbo.net/general-miata-chat-9/who-likes-royal-clover-keys-94511/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I've never seen anyone so brutally one upped, love those AZ-1s

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

everdave posted:

Also is this normal it appears factory but there is a freaking road flare installed on the passenger side of the Majesta

I remember when the JDM craze started going strong in the late 90s/early 00s there were people installing road flares to get the full look, so if it wasn't factory, it was at least pretty prevalent there.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'll be curious to see what you get for that, how much are LS400s of that generation going for?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oh yeah, forgot it had ridiculously low mileage, the tough part might be getting people to believe it since they can't really run a carfax.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
The fat black cable looks like a mini din connector so maybe a CD changer was mounted there or something?

edit - beaten, looks like I left the page open for longer than I thought!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looking closer at some of these cars...are Japanese market knock offs common? Three of these have popped up in the past couple days, all ending tonight. I thought Morgan Plus 4 or 4/4 initially but a lot of the details aren't right and all three of them look identical. I can't figure out what the hell they are unless Morgan made a base-base model for the Japanese market. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out wtf these things are.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-weUSPBaUIB4yY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lGSaEbfBcUjnpb.htm - this one has more pics

Showed it to my Japanese co-worker for a translation, it's this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_Lima

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Im the one, you are going to have a bad time with Oregon DMV. Be prepared to fight/lawyer up to get them to register it. I have heard people saying they are even having trouble getting the Vans registered.

Do they give you a reason or do they just not have any official guidance on how to do it so they just deny? I'm in Oregon and finally registered on JCD, but I'm probably not all that close to pulling the trigger on anything - just curious what possible issue could arise.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I haven't seen much talk about Hondas other than the Beat - has anyone seen an Accord Aerodeck pop up? Or better yet (but probably a longer shot), a CRX with a glass roof?

drat, thanks, that's good to know. It's funny, I use the Sherwood DMV since it's got the shortest wait times and they're usually pretty cool but that sounds pretty lovely. My parents live in WA so I could probably get a car registered there instead if I had to.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

A few times, the Aerodecks more than the others. We're talking like 4-5 times in the last 6 or so months though.

Cool, yeah, I didn't see an Aerodecks in the statistics so figured they were rare. A few glass roof CRXs but no sold price shown.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

I didn't expect it to be a S13

Now I want to see one drifting

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

My man

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

slothrop posted:

There has been some chat in the chat thread about BG Mazdas. If I recall correctly there are a couple of stateside goons who love them. Well I if you're looking for a fun, unusual import I highly recommend the BG Astina. It's a 4 door, liftback with POP UP HEAD LIGHTS!

If that isn't enough for you, look out for a manual (natch) with the B5-DE engine. What a hoot! God I loved that car growing up. I never paid it much mind because we got so many more exciting Japanese imports in NZ around the time and always wanted more cylinders, more displacement and some forced induction. As a beater car, and the one I did most of my learning on, I couldn't have asked for more. Ours had wide rear end tires on it for some reason, like 205mm. It was the champion of stoplight racing, never beaten in the 60m. It had that great Mazda gearchange of course.

I'm sure my 10 years newer Corolla is more powerful but it's never once felt as fun, as planted, as chuckable or just as great to throw through a roundabout. Get one in the Black pearl we had and treasure it like I never did! I swear it revved to the moon!

That is pretty cool. Per wikipedia it should be called the Familia Astina in Japan, not seeing any on JCD though, even in the history though I could be searching incorrectly.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
My dad was similar in being an early adopter, I think he paid $500 for our CD-R in '95 or '96. I made a decent amount of money selling mix CDs in high school, undercutting the guys at the car shops and swap meets doing the same thing.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That thing seems like it would be an easy sell to a drift team or something. How much do you think it will go for?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Kaker, have you considered selling dogs?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I guess you could import an Akita or something

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

While it is wearing aftermarket 2-piece wheels it did come with the original silver steel wheels, which are also in excellent shape.

You might already know this, but those look like JAOS wheels, in which case I imagine you can get a good chunk of change for them. Pretty desirable among the JDM Toyota guys.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

They are, and no I didn't know they were JAOS. I did know that these types of wheels are pretty sought after though! Thanks for letting me know. I can't seem to easily find what kind they are specifically, JAOS VICTRON is still a name used by them on a bunch of different wheels, and the 'Excel' ones look very similar but they have vertical slices in the radial supports.

I did some searching around and although I found a few Russian auctions for these wheels, there was no model name listed. They don't seem to be super common. Nice wheels though, I'd totally run those on a truck if I had one but I'm a sucker for multi-piece wheels.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
While there have been some cool ones posted here, I haven't really felt like I needed a little kei van as much as when I came across this pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Why do you want the B17?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Looking real nice now that the damage and rash is gone from the exterior. Still debating on what to do with the wheels before putting it up for sale.

Do you know what the original finish looks like on the wheels? Kinda looks like it might be like a radial brushed finish but hard to tell.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, I refinished some pretty rough looking wheels but since I was going for full polish, it was actually easier than what you'd be looking to do if you wanted to keep it brushed. I'm not sure how well polished wheels would fit the look of that car but if you went that route, I'd recommend the Zephyr polishing kit. If that picture is of the gouge you're talking about, it looks like you could get away with sanding down and not having to fill.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That's not far from how I've seen wheels brushed by refinishing places, there's YouTube videos for it out there I'm sure, I know I've seen a few on Insta

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
drat whoever got that Bluebird got a deal, I'd have been interested at that price tbh

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I have a bunch of arbor vitae I need to top in my yard and that bucket kei would be a nice thing to have right now.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Fourstar posted:

Did you intentionally ignore the warning in Motronic's post? Bucket kei is rad, but its size doesn't mean you should bypass the lockouts to make bucket go brrrrrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26fTGBEi9E

You're bringing a lot of sanity to an automotive insanity forum

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Elmnt80 posted:

^^^
Yeah, I probably could have phrased it nicer, but I'm not feeling that creative atm.

Friend, if you thought I was making some kind of serious anti-safety statement with my post - I question how you've made it almost 8 years on this forum and are somehow a mod at that.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Seems like that'd be one of the easier cars to paint the door jambs on heh. Loving the dual Alpines.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Curious how those are wired up/work, since they appear to be two full head units rather than a head and add-on.

Looks like only one is powered up so either they wired a switch to go between the two or the tape deck is just filling a hole.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oh man, I love these Aero Cabins...

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tr7sE2BS4GBTOg.htm

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That sucks about the Suzuki wagon, had you gotten an inspection on it?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That Toyota looks incredibly practical, dang

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Any Honda Logos coming up? Started manufacture in '96, looks like it'd be fun with a 1.6 swap or something.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Love that Cedric, food luck with the sales.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
everdave, just saw your post on IG, come brag about your soon to be internet famous car!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

boondocksts posted:

I'll post pics when it arrives. 1996 Honda Integra Type R 4-door. Had to sit in Japan a few months before it was eligible

Four lugs and four doors, the most unassuming Type R. Can't wait to see pics!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I remember Kaker talking about these morons wanting to buy one of his vehicles recently...

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I wonder if we can get that Team Free Spirit guy to go on and berate the entire thing and shine a light on the crap!

Probably, that's where I saw the screenshot of the post - on his IG story the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
End of an era, I'll have to stop recommending Limerence as an importer given I won't know how detailed the new owners are going to be when choosing and prepping cars for sale, hope they end up being one of the few honest dealers.