Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.
Hey all. Been lurking this thread forever, and finally did the thing.
Presenting: Fat guy in a little truck.

'91 Acty.
This thing is so dumb, and tiny, and slow, and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Are those springy things cup holders? I think I want a pair of these for my Acty.

Is there a recommended place that sells dumb kei truck accessories? Parts seem relatively easy to find, but I want to browse the stupid and completely unnecessary stuff.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

I love cars with rear-facing seats. I didn't know Delicas had them. Can they be rotated to face forward too?

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

everdave posted:

Lost this last night by a measly 9k yen. Boo. Could not find another to base my bid on.

What is this? I think I passed one around town a few weeks back. Same color, too.
Didn't get a chance to stop and look at it, though.

Looks kind of like a Minica, but not.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

I'm a big fan of dumb accessories, and I am absolutely jazzed to have found this one for my Acty truck.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

everdave posted:

I would have probably traded him the Acty if he offered but he didn't and you could tell it was his baby. Cool thing, he has 11 THINK electric cars he won at some auction that are from the Netherlands or something. But I think he is too chubby for the Acty. I am 6'2" and fit fine but I am slim.

I'm 6'4 and pushing close to 300. It's tight, but I fit in my 91 acty just fine. The only thing I can't really do is roll down the driver side window with the door closed.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

everdave posted:

Toyota Century Hearse. You want it, you need it.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-27RdI2RPJl51ViX.htm

Love it! It has the same blue interior as my 90 Celica.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Not just a road flare, but a cool electric one:

I forget what car we took this out of but it follows us with whatever we are driving at the time. Most of the time they are actual flares with the chemicals and the fires, this one is neat because you twist the base and it flashes these bright red LEDs. The truck itself didn't come with one which is atypical.
I bought one of these electric ones for my Acty a few weeks back. I think it was like $12 or something from eBay. Absolutely worth it.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

therobit posted:

Someone in my neighborhood is renovating a house and has a JDM Fire truck parked there. Any goons in Clackamas County, OR import a fire truck?

I'm up in Vancouver, but I'm guessing that fire truck probably came from or is owned by someone that works at Motorcycle Warehouse. Bought my '91 Acty Truck from there almost two years ago now.

Decent folks, and easily the best-priced dealer in the Portland area for these things.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

corgski posted:

I'm considering purchasing a kei truck in the near-mid term to use as a local parts-getter and poo poo hauler (possibly literally since I have a bunch of garden beds to rebuild) and I don't want a USDM pickup because my parking pad is small and shared with my Abarth. Are there specific models that tend to be more reliable than others, or is it a thing where 25 years later all the really bad ones have already been shaken off the road? Just poking around I see a lot of Honda ACTYs listed for sale, not all of which have actually been titled as a street vehicle (which I assume is not an easily correctable problem.)

:words: Keitora.txt :words:

I see a lot of kei trucks imported specifically for off-road/farm use, and as such, they are often brought into the country BEFORE their 'legal' 25-year anniversary.
Unless you're looking for a headache, those brought in before the 25 should probably be avoided if you plan on road use.

Do make sure to get all of the import papers from the dealer/previous owner if you aren't importing yourself.

Earlier 90's models often have 5-digit odometers that conveniently don't have the VIN number on them and are easily swappable... do what you can to verify the mileage if you see one with "low miles" It should be pretty physically obvious if it's 35,000km or 135,000km

Kei trucks seem to have this weird state by state regulation. I live in SW Washington and everything is GOOD TO GO.

Five minutes across the river in Oregon, things get real weird, real fast when it comes to kei vehicles. (Oregon seems to a DMV by DMV interpretation of the law *which isn't even explicitly clear* where even if plates are issued, they may* ultimately be stripped away when the paperwork makes it to the state capitol.) *this can take anywhere from two weeks to two years or not happen at all.

Unless your state explicitly says YES or does not give a poo poo about enforcement... it can be a somewhat legal grey area when it comes to licensing them for the street. (Again, make sure you have the papers) Check with your DMV or other local kei owners to be sure if your state is clear.
A lot of people have issues finding an insurance company that is willing to cover them. My local agent of 20 years wouldn't touch it and said I might have better luck with someone that handles classics. I personally went with Hagerty and found a plan that works for me.

Reliability-wise, all of the models seem pretty decent and are very mechanically basic according to my mechanic friend. Suspension and engine location differs between manufacturers. (Honda engine is back under the bed, while Suzuki engine sits closer to cab/driver)

Personal anecdotes:
I own a Honda, and have taken a few years of Japanese, and would say that I am "pretty okay" at searching for things on the Japanese side of the internet. Even with that slight advantage, it can sometimes be tricky to find SERIOUS parts when compared to the Subaru/Suzuki/Daihatsu folks. (I recently had issues regarding a rear inner CV joint and was very jealous that I kept finding solutions for trucks that were not mine. Took a few weeks, and the COVID shipping situation didn't help, but we figured it out and I've learned way more about axles than I ever wanted to know.) Other tune-up type things are easy to find stateside. Filters, plugs, belts, etc.

My truck is strictly street use, does not have A/C, does not have a dump bed, and I don't really use it to haul much of anything except my own goon-sized rear end... so I can't really speak to the reliability on labor-type things.
Foldable/Removable bed sides are :krad: Everyone seems to love them.

They are slower than you think they are. Yes, it can do 60/70 if you floor it, but you probably will not enjoy your time on the highway if there's any traffic around.
They are smaller than you think they are. I'm 6'3 and just shy of 300lb. I have plenty of head room, but if my legs were any longer my knee would be in the dash and I don't think I could operate the clutch. Absolutely try and sit in one before you commit to a purchase. (I'm glad I did.)

Do your research. Just be sure of what you are looking for in a truck.

Obligatory pictures (more on instagram @acty360 if you do that sort of thing)

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

kensei posted:

I know I have seen your truck here! Small world.

I'm like, the only blue Honda truck on the road around here. Feel free to say hi if you see me around.

harperdc posted:

apparently Honda do still sell new Acty kei trucks over here, but yeah you see more ads on TV for the Suzukis.

The 2020 model is supposed to be the final year for the Acty line. I read somewhere that Honda is pulling out after a number of years of being the lowest-selling kei truck manufacturer. Subaru and Suzuki outsell them by a huge margin.
I absolutely love those 2020 anniversary designs. I kind of want to replicate the two-tone style of the blue one for my truck.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Kei car club here posted these on their FB page:

None of these anime girls look old enough to drive.
Also, I would love to have a Honda Vamos over here.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

:stare: OK, clearly I need to learn about autozam trucks and vans.
If I recall, they're essentially the same as the Suzuki Carry/Every but with Autozam badging.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

nmagness posted:

Warning to anyone else thinking of importing an Isuzu based diesel block, my 4JG2 from 1994 takes a weirdo oil filter that is close to filters used in portable air compressors and forklifts BUT they have much smaller threads 20mmx1.5 instead of the 26mmx1.5 I have. Donaldson Filters in the US makes them though I had to get them straight from their warehouse.

Awesome that you found a US source for your weird part.

When I can't find things through amayama, partsouq, or megazip, there's always Yahoo Auctions Japan.
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search...3%83%AB&x=0&y=0

Not sure if any of those are an exact fit, but if you need another line on things, you could try there.

Fun trivia: The Japanese word for "oil filter" is "oil filter" but it is also sometimes "oil element"

Beanzor fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 21, 2020

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

You have excellent taste fellow blue kei truck goon.
The HA4 is a great little truck. Bay Blue ones in good shape are getting harder to come by.

Here's mine:

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Nice! Those are Supra wheels, no?
They're from a slightly more modern Honda kei car, the Honda Zest Spark.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Interior is so dirty! I have to keep reminding myself that this is a WORK truck so I need to expect that.

I didn’t realize the door cards weren’t actually light grey!

73,000 km!

First mod! Shout out to Chappelle Show!

Blue Acty is best Acty!

Those OEM floormats are nearly impossible to find in good condition. Especially the one-piece type that we both seem to have. Please treat it well.
Same goes for the plastic rain visors. Less impossible, but definitely a challenge.
Other parts aren't too difficult to track down. Amayama/Megazip has plenty
Your interior looks like it's in pretty good shape for a work truck. Seat rip is common.

Definitely look into the timing belt/water pump ASAP. Should be a sticker on the belt cover with a date if it's been done, but I'd probably do again anyway just for peace of mind. It's an interference engine, so probably worth it.
Spark plugs are from a Civic, NGK BKR6E-11

If for some reason you have a bad steering wobble around 40mph, it's probably your steering center link. I think I've seen like, 100 posts from other Acty folks describing the issue and saying that replacing that part fixed it.

There's a ton of useful maintenance info here: https://robrobinette.com/Honda_ACTY.htm

Welcome to 3-cylinder club!

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

I feel like I've seen about 20+ posts today in various jdm/rhd groups about CarVX for Japanese vehicle history reports. Anyone here used them before? Legit? For $30 I'm tempted to roll the dice on my Acty VIN and see what's up.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

everdave posted:

I know this is not helpful but I’ve never heard of carvx or had a targeted ad, and I have lots of jdm cars. my entire IG is only jdm buys and I have never heard of it not saying it is t awesome just makes me wonder

Oh, they weren't targeted ads. Just various comments and such.

I'm mostly just curious to see what, if anything comes back on it. I've driven it for two+ years already so I have a decent idea of what's already wrong with it. I've got the shipping papers from the dealer so I know what they valued the truck at auction, but I'd love to see the auction sheet at the very least.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Welp, carvx don't mess around. Pretty quick turnaround. It's not a ton of new information, but one thing certainly stands out.

Huh...

History seems fairly regular.

Maybe all vehicles from Miyagi prefecture have that contaminated box checked?

Not sure how it was graded 3.5 with the rust and corrosion spots it has, and the exhaust pipe that actually fell off after a few months of driving...

This is like getting pictures of your puppy or something.

Overall, not 100% disappointed with the report. Might be a bit more exciting history if it were something other than a low-mileage kei truck.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Charles posted:

What port did you bring it in? All containers get scanned for radiation, although they've all been upgraded in the past few years, maybe after you'd brought it over. They're also looking for weapons stuff. Physics goons more knowledgeable, would that be picked up too? I'm sure there have been some countermeasures to track stuff from that area too.

I know transfer stations pick up on iodine treatments for hyperthyroidism and you have to hold stuff that's been exposed for 90 days or something.

But I honestly doubt it's a problem.

This one came in through Tacoma in 2018.

Personally, I'm not at all worried about it. Based on the Lawson receipts I found in the ash tray and under the floor mats when I bought it, I know that it spent time in Misato city, which is essentially the far edge of the outermost circle of the contaminated zone. I'm sure I've been dosed with higher amounts of radiation during air travel than what this thing is probably putting out.

Guess I can add a radioactive sticker to it sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Absolutely not surprised Japanese Classics sponsored this idiot. At least the vehicles he's going to trash are probably already grade R painted to look like 3.5.