Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

2.4 turbo diesel

It is as unkillable and gutless as every other Toyota I4 from the 80s... and still manufactured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Screw that, wait until you can get a 95 with a 24 valve 4.2 turbo diesel. 70 more hp, and 100ftlbs more torque.

E: You might find this to be interesting reading for that 2L-TE though: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ideas-for-improving-the-2lte.680759/

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
$2200 for a turbo diesel 1st gen 4runner in that condition is a steal.

I love the graphics Toyota put on Hiluxes in the 80s.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

gimpsuitjones posted:

The 2.4 TD (2LTE) is absolutely killable, it's notorious for cracking heads, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole unless it was intended as a donor vehicle for putting a 1KZ into instead

Yeah, I read in the ih8mud thread I linked that the 2L actually doesn't take to a turbo all that well.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's also as gutless as the engine in our cruisers. :v:

90ish horsepower, 160ish ftlbs, doesn't like more than very modest boost and EGTs have to be kept low to keep the head from falling apart... It's like the 2L is kind of a miniaturization of a 3B.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I take solace in the fact that I've daily driven a kei van from the early 80s so I know 'gutless' and the Prado I got is about the lowest-weight one you can get being short wheelbase and a 2-door.

Besides, there is a PZ-powered one that's up for auction tonight :getin:

The 90 Acty and the 83 Hijet were non-smoker cars but otherwise lol nope. The Crown made me go ahead and buy a small ozone generator and will be the first test subject. Just kind of assume the stereotype for 80s-90s Japanese means that they smoke, probably.

I've been doing some more reading about the head-cracking issue with the 2L-TE and apparently you can avoid it by getting an EGT gauge and keeping the temp below 1000F. There's the odd anecdote about re-routing the exhaust too, but from pictures I can't see how that would help.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 17, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

gimpsuitjones posted:

"apparently" is the key word there, I reckon

I put that word in, because I have no experience with the engine personally.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait to get 1VDs.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
All these 70s just make me wish I could buy a brand new cab-chassis one like I used to see roll down the 401 on transports on their way to the mines/overseas. :smith:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

You want a HDJ79 over a VDJ79 any day, the straight 6 turbo diesel is the far far superior motor

I just want the motor, hell, from either one.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If it's not a regular cab then it's a SUV with an identity crisis.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

That mileage :eyepop:

1HZ cockroach.

E: I wonder what the PO did for a living, drive up and down the main island every day?

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 7, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sadly, the amphetamine dream that is the Isuzu Bellett MX1600 concept never came to fruition.

I shared this with someone on IRC and they started doing a stream-of-consciousness impression of the chemically altered mindset of the people who designed this. A few choice quotes:

code:
12:57 <+Spunky> WE PUT THE HINGES ON BACKWARD? WHO PUT THE HINGES ON BACKWARD?
                gently caress poo poo OK OK WE JUST TELL THEM IT'S A FETURE

12:59 <+Spunky> WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE CAN'T HAVE GULL WINGS? GOD DAMNIT WHY

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The 3wheezy is usually outlasted by the v6 badge on the vehicle it's installed in.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Seriously, even with the timing chain issue the inline 4 from that era is the better engine by leaps and bounds. With the aftermarket that exists for the 22R you can easily make them outperform a 3wheezy and they'll last forever doing it.

E: Not to say you can't mitigate some of the issues with the 3vz, but at the end of the day you're better off spending your money on a different engine.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 10, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I don't think the that garbage shitfire v6 4Runner sold at all, and I was never actually interested in buying it anyway. Still, I am learning a lot about it and them from you guys so thanks.
Applebees is totally on the money imho, that truck is a waste of time and effort if only because there is nothing special about it besides the low mileage.

Well, even with the v6 you probably would've found a buyer, especially with the vehicle that clean. If you want to see what your target demographic is like and what you can expect to sell a given vehicle for, check out Yotatech, there's good tech info and like all other car forums please avoid the off-topic forum or really anything outside the tech and marketplace subforums. A lot of those nerds will dogpile just about anything from 1981-95.5 that is a light truck or suv that says Toyota and has a salvageable chassis just due to them being Hiluxes.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

The first of the 2nd gen Toyota surfs with the 3.0TD motor came out in 1993... that engine is a rocket in something as light as a surf.

So your saying a single cab pickup would be nailed with chicken tax, but the dual cabs aren’t? Cos there’s lots of rust free hiluxs in Australia...

I dunno how they do it with truck cabs but something like that 2nd gen USDM 4Runner would've originally shown up in the States with a steel panel in place of the rear seats for chicken tax reasons. Maybe the rear seats of cabs with 2nd rows are done the same way. It makes it classifiable as a MPV instead.

Even my FJ45 is classed as a MPV despite being a pickup truck. It has spent its entire life here in Canada so my only assumption about the classification is that maybe it was imported here thru the States.

E: The panels themselves are desirable objects for some 4Runner owners, few exist because they got rear seats installed by dealerships and most were scrapped as soon as they were removed.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 13, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Paging Left Ventricle. You need to buy this and confuse the hell out of your neighbours. ^^^

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Kaker, I was listening to a bunch of old chiptunes because of that guy who replaced his volvo's door chime with an 8bit version of Toto - Africa and I think I have found the perfect door chime for your Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9J91NDX_HI

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

Sold for $12,290.

If I were to do something like that I'd use this one, sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJHhCpc2fU

But the one I linked sounds all regal and stuff.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Left Ventricle posted:

I really want a Century.

I... I just...

Oh my god I think I'm dying here.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That Toyota has an i6 under the hood, I am not making GBS threads you.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

The chassis ID starts with a 'G' and Toyota always starts (or started, dunno what they do these days) with the engine. The 'F' in FJ40s stands for the Toyota F engine, same with the FJ70. If it's a BJ70 then it's the B engine. The Crusier I have is a PZ70 'cause it has the PZ engine in it.

My FJ45 has a B engine in it. :toot:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

We're going to spend the weekend loving with both Cruisers but neither of them are going to be as interesting as the Lite Ace.

Blasphemy! How dare you ignore that beautiful 70. You even parked the Prado in FRONT of it. :colbert:

I literally started laughing out loud when you showed the ice maker and you better take video of it in operation. That Lite Ace seems neat as hell.

Femto, care to go into any Canadian-specific details wrt to importing? I'd like to know more about what happens once it gets to BC, when you do get it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Interesting. Do you know if there are any weird Canadian rules about selling vehicles to US citizens in Canada? Are you taxed on sales of vehicles?

Here in Ontario you pay sales tax when you transfer the registration to your name, seller doesn't collect it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I found out last night that the 3Y-U engine was used in the USDM Toyota Vans in the 80s so finding consumables is ez-pz which is great.

You found out right now that the 4Y-E is an almost direct swap out (they differ mostly by internals), bumps you up to just under 100hp, and Toyota Industries still puts them in their forklifts. They frequently hit 20,000+ hours in this application, which is post-million mile territory. You can also run them off propane or natural gas.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

:hellyeah:
Maybe if I can manage to kill this plant first.

I'd consider it in lieu of any major engine maintenance. Brand new ones aren't terrifically expensive.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

DJ Commie posted:

Do the UK market versions of these various JDM imports have speedometers demarcated in miles per hour? You could probably get a Toyota Van speedo cluster, I bet they're the same.

:lol: Just like Japanese auctions, you could roll a US market speedo back/forward, though its to match the kilometers the car has done and have a mph speedometer rather than outright fraud.

I did the opposite and rolled the odo on the km/h cluster I bought for my FJ45 to the km equivalent of the mph one. When I asked the MTO if this was okay and they said yes. Only thing is I have to remember it's technically "rolled over" once even though the cluster is NOS.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's not unlikely that the vehicle was actually manufactured in 1991 too.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here in NM, 90% of the state doesn't need emissions tests but Albuquerque does, and getting a seller to take it to a smog place is a real pain in the rear end. Anything 1983 or older is exempt, good Jeeps of that vintage seem to run about $7k on craigslist here, so I figured if I could get this diesel one (also smog exempt) for $7k it would be a reasonable deal.

I have a feeling it's gonna go over $7k and I've told myself if it goes past that, I'll go back to watching craigslist. I really ought to broaden my search a bit... Arizona's probably got plenty of motorhome-towed Jeeps being sold by the children of their deceased owners.

I hope that $6500 is you and that you are gonna own an actually interesting Jeep.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

No, I'm waiting and watching a bit longer so that fucker Enterprise has less time to re-bid if I put a bid in. So far he's re-bid pretty much every time someone put in a bid, and I have a feeling his upper limit might be higher than mine.

He's probably gonna bubbafuck it into a mall queen, don't let it happen!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Larrymer posted:

:wtc: was there a min order or are you just replacing them on all of them?

24 would be all of them, front and back. Energy Suspensions tends to sell them in complete kit form and it's highly likely that's the brand he went with.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was walking around the other day and came across a Delica Autobot:

Rusty as hell though, it's been here awhile.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Riding the high of becoming a bitcoin thousandaire, I am having serious trouble not considering buying a HiJet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

Neat about the 1HD-T though, there are quite a few Cruisers at auction that probably run just fine but have hosed up bodies.

They're still going for a bit too much imo. I poked Japan Car Direct to find me a heart donor but I don't think they understand that I'm after a vehicle that I don't want to import, but have gutted and scrapped.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I'm trying to settle on what the repetitive money makers are. I don't have much of a sample size but kei vans sell but only to specific people, and finding those specific people is more difficult than I've anticipated. Plus like I already said, I over paid for the 83 Acty as well as the earlier 83 Hijet I had. I thought that them being so uniquely early Japanese would be worth it but I was wrong. The trucks could probably sell much easier because the price difference.

The Rugger sold quite fast but I did always expect it to go like that, it's got a very good presence about it that everybody who sees it loves. The attention it received went up a shitload when I repainted the wheels white and put on those white letter K02s. That and because I got it for ao little at auction I made a quite sizeable profit on it. The problem with that though is there have been maybe 3 Ruggers worth buying at auction since I got this one, and mine was by far the best one. Not exactly something to base a business on.

I'll have the J70 Cruiser up shortly for sale and we'll see how that one goes. It's a much more serious and robust truck vs. the Rugger with it's front and real locking diffs and "Toyota" badge. It's all cleaned up and ready to go. I expect more attention from it but who knows.

The LiteAce is the current favorite but now that we've camped in it and are starting to deal with the post-lust it's starting to become less perfect. Things like it's tiny fuel tank and cramped front passenger area are harder to ignore when you can easily sell the thing.

For other variety it just depends on what comes up for sale. There are a lot more things I like vs. what I don't so I'm quite open. I don't think I'm going to get into Skylines or Soarers or anything, I'm just not as interested in them as much as other people and wouldn't cater to that market as well.

So long as there are offroaders, you will likely never have trouble selling off a 70.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

figure out how to snap the locking lug nut thing locking the spare wheel

If the toolkit came with it, the unlock tool should be in there. A Toyota dealership should have what you need too.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

Turns out that both the Cruiser and Prado just use the key. You stick it in there and wiggle it then the whole lock pops off. Neat!

Got the Cruiser up for sale, we'll see how it does. Hoping the siren song of front and rear locking differentials plus diesel delivers me a profit.

Mind me asking what you've listed it for?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

$14500. Here is the craigslist ad.

Quite high, I know

There's an importer in BC selling a HZJ73 for ~$17k USD.

Are you sure you're not undercutting yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
People be Toyota crazy, man, the Land Cruiser tax is real. If you don't find a buyer in the next couple days, post it on yotatech/mud/pirate. Someone there will think they're getting it for a steal.